ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Last Dance NJ HS baseball tournament

Or ride your bicycle along with all your friends to the park with your glove and bat, football and basketball.
Then proceed to play all three sports from 9am till the street lights come on...not an adult in sight.
That’s the way I learned.
We did the same in my neighborhood. Football, ice hockey and baseball sometimes we had as many as 20 kids out there

Parental involvement is not wrong.

Time is money as the phrase goes. If more took the time...
Not talking about time or parental involvement. That is not the original issue. The issue under debate was the availability of parental $$ which give an advantage to those kids whose parents have it over those kids whose parents don't have it. Nice attempt to deflect however.

Not talking about time or parental involvement. That is not the original issue. The issue under debate was the availability of parental $$ which give an advantage to those kids whose parents have it over those kids whose parents don't have it. Nice attempt to deflect however.
The “debate” was started by someone who does it all the time. Brought nothing to the thread other than to stir things up.

And no deflection here, I’m just not making it out to be a bad thing when someone has more means than me to do something for themselves or their family. Good for them. It’s the way things are as we’re all not the same...some have more money, some are smarter, some are more athletic.

For example, the Jackson team we have been told have been playing together for years, thru the lower level of Little League all the way up to HS. There is your time. And the town has built great facilities for almost every sport that EVERYONE is allowed to use. There is your money....taxes. That’s opportunity, what you do with it is up to you.

Two public school programs in the finals from decent towns but not loaded ones. We should be celebrating that.

Last edited:
It's a funny thing. It's notorious as a dive bar, but has really great food.
“River dive” was always the joke but I liked that place. I think the owner’s name was Dave. During my college days I worked at the Cranford Sports Center and spent a lot of time there since my boss was friends with the owner.

Cranford is a great town. My uncle was mayor in the late 70’s / early 80’s. Not sure Cranford still has the same government structure but back then I think you were only able do a 2 year term as part of being on the town council. We used to play ice hockey on the river. My SIL used to work at the record store. I spend a lot of time there.

The “debate” was started by someone who does it all the time. Brought nothing to the thread other than to stir things up.

And no deflection here, I’m just not making it out to be a bad thing when someone has more means than me to do something for themselves or their family. Good for them. It’s the way things are as we’re all not the same...some have more money, some are smarter, some are more athletic.

For example, the Jackson team we have been told have been playing together for years, thru the lower level of Little League all the way up to HS. There is your time. And the town has built great facilities for almost every sport that EVERYONE is allowed to use. There is your money....taxes. That’s opportunity, what you do with it is up to you.

Two public school programs in the finals from decent towns but not loaded ones. We should be celebrating that.
Spoken like a true Darwinist. Suit yourself.

Seriously, what’s your problem here?

And what’s your solution to this perceived problem?
Seriously, my problem, & it's not perceived but real, is that some have the means to have their children trained & participate on travel teams & others do not have the means & the disadvantage that their children are at. No solution here. It's the way sports are now shaped. Doesn't mean it is not inequitable or that it is right. Don't mean to say the parents with the means are wrong but that the dynamic at play here is. Hope that helps you out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT