ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Late Model Accord Owners - CVT

Raritan83

Senior
Sep 6, 2011
Cedar Grove
Sorry for the OT the day before a game but I am about to pull the trigger on a new Accord and given how many on here seem to suggest them I thought I would ask....how are you finding the CVT transmission?

I think the CVT is the only thing slowing me down as I have seen mixed reports on it. I am assuming in this state where it is constant traffic it is actually a good thing. My other option is the Mazda 6 which has the regular automatic but lacks some of the features (remote start, apple car play, etc)

Tell the salesman you need an extended test drive because you want to see if CVT is for you. Accords are generally solid, though never driven one with CVT.

Get an Audi A3

IMHO ugliest interior of any vehicle out there ... but hey, to each his own

2013-Audi-A3-interior-626x478.jpg

IMHO ugliest interior of any vehicle out there ... but hey, to each his own

2013-Audi-A3-interior-626x478.jpg

The list of people who disagree with you (designers, automotive engineers, automotive journalists and actual owners - including me) is far too long to cite.

I will tell you this - aside from the fact that the fit and finish on that interior is PERFECT, its layout is completely intuitive. The MMI controller works like a charm, there's no learning curve and the infotainment response time is the best on the market.

You do realize my post was a joke ... a play on the fact that someone suggests getting an Accord every time someone asks about an Audi or other luxury performance car.

Depending on how the Accord in question is equipped, the price difference is only about $10k.

For that you get better engineering, better systems, higher quality fit and finish, the best AWD system on the market and way better performance.

Reactions: RUsSKii
The list of people who disagree with you (designers, automotive engineers, automotive journalists and actual owners - including me) is far too long to cite.

I will tell you this - aside from the fact that the fit and finish on that interior is PERFECT, its layout is completely intuitive. The MMI controller works like a charm, there's no learning curve and the infotainment response time is the best on the market.

I'm just bustin. I know many of you are Audi A3 fanboys. But seriously, I suppose they were trying to differentiate from the A4 but personally I prefer the A4 interior. The S4 or even the A4/S-Line interior with and the half moon steering (for 2015) I absolutely love!.

We currently own an A3 AWD Turbo 2.0 and a 2008 4CYL Honda Accord. The A3 is a blast to drive amazing performance and 27 mpg using reg gas mixed use. The A3 is smaller trunk / backseat and cabin is cramped for space and storage. the accord gets abotu 32 mpg Hwy and rides nice but if I have only two people inthe car its the A3. If you regularly travel with 4 and a few bags the backseat and t trunk of the A3 will get old fast.

Depending on how the Accord in question is equipped, the price difference is only about $10k.

$10K is not chump change (and if you think it is, then I don't understand why you are stuck in the Blue Lot worrying about student raves).

But the Accord and A3 are such different vehicles there aren't very many people who are seriously considering buying one and end up selecting the other instead.

Sorry for the OT the day before a game but I am about to pull the trigger on a new Accord and given how many on here seem to suggest them I thought I would ask....how are you finding the CVT transmission?

I think the CVT is the only thing slowing me down as I have seen mixed reports on it. I am assuming in this state where it is constant traffic it is actually a good thing. My other option is the Mazda 6 which has the regular automatic but lacks some of the features (remote start, apple car play, etc)

I owned a Ford that had CVT. If something goes wrong with a CVT, there is no fixing it. You will be buying another CVT. And, they are not inexpensive.

IMO, I would opt for a regular transmission. I will never have another CVT.

Reactions: LC-88 and Raritan83
$10K is not chump change (and if you think it is, then I don't understand why you are stuck in the Blue Lot worrying about student raves).

But the Accord and A3 are such different vehicles there aren't very many people who are seriously considering buying one and end up selecting the other instead.

I would think that someone with your level of understanding would be able to comprehend the concept of priorities.

I live with my car every day. I live with Rutgers football parking 7 times a year.

And, not that it's pertinent to the topic at hand, I've chosen to not significantly increase my level of giving to RU athletics until such time as the program figures out what it wants to be when it grows up.

Many of the car magazines (which have historically had a ceaseless hatred for CVTs) have seemed to have begun to say things about some of the newer CVTs - like ... you hardly notice that it is a CVT or quite tolerable for a CVT ...
will a CVT seem "sporty" ? probably not - but it could be adequate depending upon your needs.

For that you get better engineering, better systems, higher quality fit and finish, the best AWD system on the market and way better performance.
A mere $10m increase in price? On a % basis 40-50% increase. No small matter. $10m on a home or a top of the line Mercedes/ Audi I can understand but an entry level A3 or an Accord it is a significant step up.

A mere $10m increase in price? On a % basis 40-50% increase. No small matter. $10m on a home or a top of the line Mercedes/ Audi I can understand but an entry level A3 or an Accord it is a significant step up.

It's not a 40-50% increase. The MSRP on my 2015 A3 2.0T / Nav, Cold Weather Package and Driver Assist Package is something like $39,840.

An Accord EX-L V6 with the same equipment level is around $33,400.

The Accord, obviously, does not have AWD, nor does it have the absolutely kick-ass VAG implementation of the dual-clutch sequential automatic. In terms of straight-line performance the two are more or less comparable although the A3 has better high-end acceleration. It also handles better and, as I've already mentioned, the infotainment setup is light years better. The obvious downside, if such things are part of your calculus, is that it's smaller.

It's not a 40-50% increase. The MSRP on my 2015 A3 2.0T / Nav, Cold Weather Package and Driver Assist Package is something like $39,840.

The Accord, obviously, does not have AWD, nor does it have the absolutely kick-ass VAG implementation of the dual-clutch sequential automatic. In terms of straight-line performance the two are more or less comparable although the A3 has better high-end acceleration. It also handles better and, as I've already mentioned, the infotainment setup is light years better. The obvious downside, if such things are part of your calculus, is that it's smaller.
http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/price.aspx

http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a3-sedan

I am sure you can add/subtract from price to tighten the % spread but last time I checked $8m-10m differnce in price of $20-30m priced cars is 40-50% price increase.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/price.aspx

http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a3-sedan

I am sure you can add/subtract from price to tighten the % spread but last time I checked $8m-10m differnce in price of $20-30m priced cars is 40-50% price increase.

You have some kind of weird comprehension issue.

I submitted for your consideration the MSRP of two cars that have comparable levels of equipment and comparable performance. It's not a complicated exercise.

Have you test driven a Lamborghini?
This. Or a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport.

No reason to limit choices to the Honda Accord just because the alternatives might not get stamped with the Best Value flag on Consumer Report's rankings. Think outside the box.

Reactions: RUsSKii
You have some kind of weird comprehension issue.

I submitted for your consideration the MSRP of two cars that have comparable levels of equipment and comparable performance. It's not a complicated exercise.
Not at all. The OP asked a question about experience with the Honda CVT with a base price of $23m. You respond with an A3 with a base price of $31m and I have a comprehension problem.

Be that as it may, none of the Audi's have the cache of the Honda Accord. The Accord has a certain je ne sais quoi. It's value transcends measurable things like price, components, performance, quality, owner satisfaction, etc. It's the zen spirit of the car world.

Not at all. The OP asked a question about experience with the Honda CVT with a base price of $23m. You respond with an A3 with a base price of $31m and I have a comprehension problem.

Yes. You do.

The OP never mentioned anything about buying a base Accord. In fact, he specifically mentioned that his alternative "is the Mazda 6 which has the regular automatic but lacks some of the features (remote start, apple car play, etc)."

The cheapest Accord with remote start and a CVT is the EX, which starts at $26,280.

The equivalent A3 would be the 1.8T FWD. With the $500 SmartKey option, its MSRP is $31,900.

The Audi, thus equipped, would have a leather interior. The Accord EX comes standard with a fabric interior.

Yes. You do.

The OP never mentioned anything about buying a base Accord. In fact, he specifically mentioned that his alternative "is the Mazda 6 which has the regular automatic but lacks some of the features (remote start, apple car play, etc)."

The cheapest Accord with remote start and a CVT is the EX, which starts at $26,280.

The equivalent A3 would be the 1.8T FWD. With the $500 SmartKey option, its MSRP is $31,900.

The Audi, thus equipped, would have a leather interior. The Accord EX comes standard with a fabric interior.

Nice detective work. Accord EX with Sensing out the door for $27K so pretty good deal. A3 would be nice unfortunately with a 6 month old not the most practical for me

Nice detective work. Accord EX with Sensing out the door for $27K so pretty good deal. A3 would be nice unfortunately with a 6 month old not the most practical for me

The car seat thing? Yeah, I hear ya. Although I would mention that my oldest kid spent her first year in a car seat in the back of a Subaru XT. :)

FWIW the A3 has those new direct-mount points in the back. I have no idea how they work, but they look cool just sitting there.

Yes. You do.

You are correct I have a comprehension problem.

I am tryinhg to comprehend where I got the $10m difference in price
"Depending on how the Accord in question is equipped, the price difference is only about $10k.

For that you get better engineering, better systems, higher quality fit and finish, the best AWD system on the market and way better performance."

You. Which lead me to the 40-50% price difference in comporable cars. Again using your math not mine.

When that narrative didn't work for you, you switched defense and narrowed the spread.

"It's not a 40-50% increase. The MSRP on my 2015 A3 2.0T / Nav, Cold Weather Package and Driver Assist Package is something like $39,840.

The Accord, obviously, does not have AWD, nor does it have the absolutely kick-ass VAG implementation of the dual-clutch sequential automatic. In terms of straight-line performance the two are more or less comparable although the A3 has better high-end acceleration. It also handles better and, as I've already mentioned, the infotainment setup is light years better. The obvious downside, if such things are part of your calculus, is that it's smaller."

To then follow that up with a third set of numbers....

"Yes. You do.

The Audi, thus equipped, would have a leather interior. The Accord EX comes standard with a fabric interior."

I am guessing your next response will be the top of the line Accord is actually a cheaper alternative to the base model A3?

So I guess I have the comprehension problem. When you change your variables 3 times within the same thread.

Last edited:
Yep.

Because the True Moron population of this board has exceeded the 50% threshold.
That's been true since long before this board's inception. Although the percentage does go up during the season, I'll give you that.

Still, it's like I taught my kids. If you're gonna let people's stupidity annoy you, you're never not gonna be annoyed. Hookers and blow is the cure, my friend. Which I also taught my kids, of course, being as intelligent as I am.

My math was a little off. The initial price of your model A3 $39,840 to what the OP actually thinks is a good deal $26,280 wasn't 40-50% as originally suggested. Sorry I stand corrected it's 52%

Last edited:

I'm all about Vag implementation...

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
I'm just bustin. I know many of you are Audi A3 fanboys. But seriously, I suppose they were trying to differentiate from the A4 but personally I prefer the A4 interior. The S4 or even the A4/S-Line interior with and the half moon steering (for 2015) I absolutely love!.
Audi makes some beautiful interiors, but sorry this is not it. I haven't spent enough time in it to say whether or not the controls are intuitive, but the interior felt cheap, even for this price point.

Now I just spent a few days in a BMW 528i and that iDrive system - talk about a system that is completely non-intuitive.

My math was a little off. The initial price of your model A3 $39,840 to what the OP actually thinks is a good deal $26,280 wasn't 40-50% as originally suggested. Sorry I stand corrected it's 52%

I feel like maybe you don't have a job or anything.

I'm not a car guy, per se, but will offer a few observations.
1. I've been in 4Real's A3 and it is a fine piece of machinery. And the VAG implementation--whatever the f@ck that means--was TIGHT...see what I did there?

2. M is the shorthand for million. K for thousand or G if you are gangsta.

I don't know much, but I do know that we can't be talking about cars that are $32m...

carry on

Reactions: Piscataway
While we are at it and I'm not a car guy either. I was looking at a used Infiniti g37x 2103. Any thoughts from the board?

While we are at it and I'm not a car guy either. I was looking at a used Infiniti g37x 2103. Any thoughts from the board?

Good car. Back seats don't fold down, I don't think. Earlier G-series cars had serious problems with interior wear but that was corrected. The VQ-series engines have a unique exhaust note that a lot of people love and some people hate - drive the car on the highway before you buy it and make sure you're not sensitive to the exhaust drone. I personally don't find it off-putting, but know people who do.

ADVERTISEMENT