ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Laxpower computer model gives RU lax 64% chance to make NCAAs

So let me get this straight #19 Rutgers beats #17 Ped state and they drop to #26 and we stay at #19o_O ?

So let me get this straight #19 Rutgers beats #17 Ped state and they drop to #26 and we stay at #19o_O ?

Remember, because of AQs in weaker conferences this is not strictly a rating of the top teams.

To be clear

My link is a calculation of the odds a team makes the tournament. Weaker teams getting an AQ is factored in.

njdirt's link is a Top 20 ranking based purely on talent like the football polls in the fall. It has no correlation to making the tourney.

We are clearly on the bubble. UNC beating ND this weekend wasn't great for us. That locks a spot for them.

No upsets in the conference tourney's would be good at this point. The lower conferences I am talking about. Brown must beat Uva this weekend.

Even so, we control our own destiny. Beat OSU and go from there. That game is away, and they will want blood after we completely demolished them last year, which was the catalyst for this season.

8 straight at home. HPSS is becoming a house of horrors for opponents. There was so much juice there this weekend you could feel it through the tv.

Reactions: RUMountie
Duke has some decent wins. Smashing Marquette wasn't great for us either. The acc was looking like a two bid league, now it could be 4. Those teams will get the benefit of the doubt. For now.

RU win over OSU + Hopkins win over Maryland = 1st RU Big Ten Team title!

Would love to see that. It's going to be a tall order. It's a rivalry game so you never know what can happen, but Maryland is looking like the best team in the country right now. Solid at every level.

They did lose their faceoff guy yesterday, which has them at their third string. That is significant.

Duke has some decent wins. Smashing Marquette wasn't great for us either. The acc was looking like a two bid league, now it could be 4. Those teams will get the benefit of the doubt. For now.

Duke has to beat ND Friday for it to be four.

Although I know nothing about LAX, that victory by PSU (Denver) is certainly carrying them with an overall record of just 7-6.
By the way, wasn't Virginia always a top program? What the hell happened to them?

We are clearly on the bubble. UNC beating ND this weekend wasn't great for us. That locks a spot for them.

No upsets in the conference tourney's would be good at this point. The lower conferences I am talking about. Brown must beat Uva this weekend.

Even so, we control our own destiny. Beat OSU and go from there. That game is away, and they will want blood after we completely demolished them last year, which was the catalyst for this season.

8 straight at home. HPSS is becoming a house of horrors for opponents. There was so much juice there this weekend you could feel it through the tv.

It was a great atmosphere in HPSS last Friday night. I think the crowds will continue to grow if RU continues to put this exciting/successful style of play on the field and bring in top flight talent from NJ.
My friend's son is a 2016 commit for RU, I told him don't be surprised to see 10,000 + at his son's games in the near future.

Reactions: RUseaweed
That would be pretty amazing. We'd have some of the biggest crowds in college lacrosse if that were the case.

We need to find ways to continue to invest more in the program. We still aren't at the level of of our peers. We are getting there, but more donations and investment are needed. Imagine what Coach Brecht can do once we get the playing field even.

Who is your friend's son?

That would be pretty amazing. We'd have some of the biggest crowds in college lacrosse if that were the case.

We need to find ways to continue to invest more in the program. We still aren't at the level of of our peers. We are getting there, but more donations and investment are needed. Imagine what Coach Brecht can do once we get the playing field even.

Who is your friend's son?
J. Dunmore from Bergen Catholic.

It was a great atmosphere in HPSS last Friday night. I think the crowds will continue to grow if RU continues to put this exciting/successful style of play on the field and bring in top flight talent from NJ.
My friend's son is a 2016 commit for RU, I told him don't be surprised to see 10,000 + at his son's games in the near future.

I could see SOME games drawing 10K+ but it's not something we're going to get on a regular basis. This is from 2013 but gives you an idea of how crazy 10,000+ would be as a steady # for RU:

http://d1scourse.typepad.com/blog/2013/05/nav.html

Also, not sure what happened the last 2 years, but as of 2013 attendance at the National Finals Weekend dropped for the 6th straight year. Odd.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...decline-what-s-next-for-the-final-four-/20138

I could see SOME games drawing 10K+ but it's not something we're going to get on a regular basis. This is from 2013 but gives you an idea of how crazy 10,000+ would be as a steady # for RU:

Also, not sure what happened the last 2 years, but as of 2013 attendance at the National Finals Weekend dropped for the 6th straight year. Odd.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...decline-what-s-next-for-the-final-four-/20138

Yeah, we probably won't ever get big crowds for some of the teams on our schedule. However assuming RU is nationally ranked and playing a top ranked team like Maryland, Hopkins, Penn State, etc. in good weather I think 10K + is not too far away.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

What happened was the NCAA decided to hold the event at NFL stadiums jacking up the prices for everything. The final four needs to be moved back to schools. RU is perfect for it from every vantage.

Reactions: biazza38
Yeah, we probably won't ever get big crowds for some of the teams on our schedule. However assuming RU is nationally ranked and playing a top ranked team like Maryland, Hopkins, Penn State, etc. in good weather I think 10K + is not too far away.

Our schedule will continue to get better. Though Uva is having a bad year by their standards, they still would have been good to have on the schedule. I am not sure what team exactly we added in their place, but those wimps backed out of a 4 year deal after 2 games. I'd like to see another acc team on the schedule like Unc or Duke, along with another Ivy like Brown. I am dying to play them. They play like we do. That game would be a flat out up and down shoot out with sick plays being made all over the place. Same with Albany.

What happened was the NCAA decided to hold the event at NFL stadiums jacking up the prices for everything. The final four needs to be moved back to schools. RU is perfect for it from every vantage.

That's right I remember that now. Loved going down to Byrd back in the day!

Actually 10k is a ways away. The reason is that there is not the community interest that you have at places like Syracuse and Baltimore. Hopkins-UVA at Homewood when they are both ranked in the Top 5 will draw 12,500 because it's a) a reasonable day trip from Charlottesville and b) Baltimore is a lacrosse hotbed which will bring in locals who are not Hopkins fans. Can't say that about Piscataway. Same for Syracuse-Cornell when they are in the Top 5. Easy day trip from Ithica and a lot of community interest in Syracuse.

For the NCAA tourney Saturday is always better than Monday because there are fan bases for 4 teams that will travel and the next day isn't a work day. For the last 25 years Baltimore has always drawn best. Foxboro will never draw as well because it's NOT a day trip from Baltimore and not an easy trip from LI. HPSS would be a possibility because it's a day trip from both Baltimore and LI. Same for Met Life.

And indeed, price is an issue, particularly when they tag you for parking as well.

J. Dunmore from Bergen Catholic.

Typical Brecht recruit. Fast, aggressive, and gets the ball and goes from D to O with purpose. He is a little raw, presumably from playing football where he looks like a player too. He will smooth out once in a college program focused on lax. He has the things you can't teach. Like a lot of kids on our team, being a multi sport athlete is a huge plus. His video is nasty. Old school. Wouldn't want to be going across the middle with that kid hunting around, that's for sure.

I never got playing the final four on a holiday weekend. Granted I'm a shore guy and love summer, but I 100% totally forget that the final four is MDW ever year. I would throw it on back in the day and enjoy it, but now I much prefer to be on the beach.

I never got playing the final four on a holiday weekend. Granted I'm a shore guy and love summer, but I 100% totally forget that the final four is MDW ever year. I would throw it on back in the day and enjoy it, but now I much prefer to be on the beach.

I think because it was a GREAT way to draw huge, 3-days crowds, over a 3-day weekend without people having to take more than a day off (if that) while being able to enjoy all 3 days.

I think I attended around 4 Nat'l Championship games at RU.

I think I attended around 4 Nat'l Championship games at RU.

IIRC the NCAA wasn't thrilled with the attendance at RU the last 2 times around (something like 61,000 and 64,000, 3-day totals, both in 2000 and 2001). That being said, now, I believe we'd draw much better crowds to HPSS.

And the best part of those were the Princeton-Syracuse semifinal games on Saturday. True classics

The best Final Four I saw was 1990, Syracuse versus Cornell and Loyola versus Hopkins. Cuse had the Gait brothers.

I think because it was a GREAT way to draw huge, 3-days crowds, over a 3-day weekend without people having to take more than a day off (if that) while being able to enjoy all 3 days.

But if attendance is declining, perhaps it would be worth a shot to do it on a different weekend where people don't already have plans? Just a thought, I'm sure this has been studied but it seems silly to me. The BB final four doesn't occur over a holiday weekend and attendance is fine there. I do think a Friday - Sunday would be more conducive on a non-holiday weekend. What event occurs on Sunday between Semis and Finals, as you mentioned a 3day crowd?

I would say that beyond the shadow of a doubt it has to hurt TV ratings having it that weekend.

But if attendance is declining, perhaps it would be worth a shot to do it on a different weekend where people don't already have plans? Just a thought, I'm sure this has been studied but it seems silly to me. The BB final four doesn't occur over a holiday weekend and attendance is fine there. I do think a Friday - Sunday would be more conducive on a non-holiday weekend. What event occurs on Sunday between Semis and Finals, as you mentioned a 3day crowd?

I would say that beyond the shadow of a doubt it has to hurt TV ratings having it that weekend.

Sunday is the D2 and D3 finals. And what do you think attendance would be on a work day Friday?

1) tradition

2) I don't think it being on MDW HURTS the attendance. As Cali pointed out there are other reasons, namely costs of playing in NFL stadiums, driving the crowds away

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT