ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lebron

As Van Gundy and Jackson said, possibly the most impressive achievement of LeBron's career, getting this challenged team to the finals. Amazing. Definitely in the conversation for best player ever.
giphy.gif

Reactions: RutHut
And, have to admit, don't watch much NBA anymore. Seems the game is watered down from the time when Jordan and the other greats played. These articles summarize:
http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/05/20-reasons-why-the-nba-was-better-in-the-90s/hard-fouls
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/215099-yesterdays-nba-todays-nba

Maybe try watching the game and not listening to blowhards. Some great basketball being played by some great players/teams right now. I like having more emphasis on shooting skills instead of mugging skills. And LeBron was a better rebounder and passer than MJ, while MJ was a better shooter/scorer, and they were both amazing defenders.

Not taking anything away from LeBron but I think even Rutgers could have beaten the Celtics tonight. Boston looked horrendous.

Western Champ going to have a field day with the Cavs.,

Reactions: Knight Shift
Maybe try watching the game and not listening to blowhards. Some great basketball being played by some great players/teams right now. I like having more emphasis on shooting skills instead of mugging skills. And LeBron was a better rebounder and passer than MJ, while MJ was a better shooter/scorer, and they were both amazing defenders.
Can't watch today's NBA. Yeah, so I am relying on people who write about it for a living. And just can't stand Lebron's overall demeanor. Personally, I preferred the hard-fouling play of the 1990's.
Think that Jordan was 6-0 in finals and had some pretty amazing performances. It's really not a fair comparison, but comparisons will be made anyway.

Watered down league with touch calls that were never a consideration during the Jordan era.

There are 4 legit teams in the league now. If that.

Jordan would average 50 in today’s touch foul game.

I like watching Lebron swoop in and block shots. Never saw MJ do that the same way. I also saw MJ have legit bad games (vs Knicks) while Lebron only seems to have games that aren't great but not bad

Talking NBA on these boards is an excellent exercise in losing brain cells. Just a bunch of pissed off old people yelling at clouds without having paid any attention to the current league.

What LeBron just accomplished is unbelievable. One of the greatest TEAM PLAYERS we will ever see. Stat-padder? He’s been to the finals 8 years in a row. A stat padder is someone like Russel Westbrook, though I doubt you even know who he is.

Last edited:
Watered down league with touch calls that were never a consideration during the Jordan era.

There are 4 legit teams in the league now. If that.

Jordan would average 50 in today’s touch foul game.
There is not a single former NBA player from MJ's era that would agree with you.

Players today are bigger, faster, stronger and play far more intelligent defense. They follow scientific nutrition and preparation regiments and the advent of analytics has opened up a whole field of intelligence that players are required to have.

Lebron has had to overcome far greater levels of competition than MJ ever did. Nowadays, "bigs" are some of the best three-point shooters in the league. Though I am sure there are some non-basketball reasons as to why you dislike Lebron.

Can't watch today's NBA. Yeah, so I am relying on people who write about it for a living. And just can't stand Lebron's overall demeanor. Personally, I preferred the hard-fouling play of the 1990's.
Think that Jordan was 6-0 in finals and had some pretty amazing performances. It's really not a fair comparison, but comparisons will be made anyway.
Quoting MJ's 6-0 in the finals is ignoring all the other seasons where he didnt even make the finals. For some reason, we hold that against Lebron, when in reality it is far tougher to make it to 9 total finals in today's current league.

Jordan had the benefit of two full years off of playing to rest the legs. Give that to Lebron next year and he will play until 45.

Lebron- infamous stat padder.
How is taking a team to the NBA Finals 8 straight years stat padding??
It took Jordon 7 years before he made the Finals and needed Pippen to do it.
Lebron only took 3 years to get to the Finals and until last night brought the worst team to the NBA Finals ever.
I can remember most of the Bulls roster from over 25 years ago. I know you and 99.99% of America can't remember one other Cleveland Cavaliers from James first Final in 2007. Not one of his teammates plays today.

Lebron is basically the coach & GM who also plays. He's excelling at shining the spotlight on himself while putting together a crappy supporting cast. Team player...who just happens to do it all by himself...some "team player".

Reactions: Knight Shift
Lebron is basically the coach & GM who also plays. He's excelling at shining the spotlight on himself while putting together a crappy supporting cast. Team player...who just happens to do it all by himself...some "team player".

His team was missing wide-open looks off of his dishes all game last night. It was garbage.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Quoting MJ's 6-0 in the finals is ignoring all the other seasons where he didnt even make the finals. For some reason, we hold that against Lebron, when in reality it is far tougher to make it to 9 total finals in today's current league.

and Jordan retired for three years when he was still in his prime, who knows how many championships he could have won. Jordan also never got to pick up and leave to whatever team had the best chance of winning (Miami) like LeBron did

Haven't followed it one bit. I asked someone a few days back who was in the final 4, I said let me guess, Cleveland/Boston and GS/San Antonio. I got three of four right. The NBA is dramaless, you can practically predict the conference final teams in October

and Jordan retired for three years when he was still in his prime, who knows how many championships he could have won. Jordan also never got to pick up and leave to whatever team had the best chance of winning (Miami) like LeBron did

Because the bulls were the team that had the best chance of winning. Having a sidekick who's also a top 50 all time player was uncommon in those days.

Only thing I hold against him is going to Miami. MJ didn’t pack his bag because he needed a better team.

Only thing I hold against him is going to Miami. MJ didn’t pack his bag because he needed a better team.

Where else could have gone there he would have had someone better than Scottie Pippen?

I do admit though that I held the move to Miami against LeBron for a long time. I definitely did not respect that. But it's time even people who are mad about that recognize the greatness.

Reactions: brianoc
That Top 50 list was in 1996. Scottie Pippen although a tremendous player is not Top 50 if you take the top players for the past 20 years, Dwayne Wade in his prime was every bit as good as Pippen. The point being with LeBron got to 3 championships and won 2 when he went to Miami. If he had stayed in Cleveland would we even be having this discussion.

MJ packed his bags and went to baseball. How is he better?
Here is where the Jordan crowd who hates Lebron fail miserably. The Chicago Bulls, without Jordon, still won 55 games that season!! There is no way Jordon gets the 2007 Cleveland Cavaliers or this team to the Finals. He played on similar teams before Pippen and failed.

Because the bulls were the team that had the best chance of winning. Having a sidekick who's also a top 50 all time player was uncommon in those days.

LeBron to Miami is like Jordan going to Utah with Stockton and Malone, or Jordan going to the Pistons with Thomas and Dumars

LeBron to Miami is like Jordan going to Utah with Stockton and Malone, or Jordan going to the Pistons with Thomas and Dumars
He didn't have to go anywhere. Unlike Cleveland, the Bulls brought in All Stars and two future HOF players. Lebron played with a bunch of nobodies in Cleveland. I hated the whole "decision" nonsense but Lebron was 100% correct by leaving.

Would Jordon stayed with Cleveland?? If he did he would have zero titles and a foot note to that era.

No, Jordan attracted some talent, but those first Bulls championship teams were Jordan, Pippen and a bunch of nobodies. Jordan attracted some names like Rodman and Harper later on. Why couldn't have LeBron done the same?

Reactions: Caliknight
ADVERTISEMENT