ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LG Refrigerator Issues

fg7321

All Conference
Nov 29, 2009
Here we go our 8 year old LG refrigerator stopped working a couple of days ago. We heard a clicking sound and then it stopped cooling. Now its working again.

Anyone else have an issue with this with LG? There is a class action lawsuit regarding defective compressors . Our compressor is still under warranty but will have to pay labor.

How many years are you folks getting on new style refrigerators?

We just had to replace ours (Subzero) after 21 years. The ice maker went about a year ago and we had it fixed then when it went again we decided not to put more money into it. The repairman said you generally should expect about 20 years out of a refrigerator freezer. You could see how much a new compressor costs since it’s only 8 years old.

We just had to replace ours (Subzero) after 21 years. The ice maker went about a year ago and we had it fixed then when it went again we decided not to put more money into it. The repairman said you generally should expect about 20 years out of a refrigerator freezer. You could see how much a new compressor costs since it’s only 8 years old.

20 years is great from what i am seeing . Lots of complaints about all the new fridges from GE Whirlpool, Samsung and LG

20 years is great from what i am seeing . Lots of complaints about all the new fridges from GE Whirlpool, Samsung and LG
Noticed that “Samsung” seems to be the product of choice at most mid level new spec builds and renovated “ rentals” tells me one thing- they look good but cheap and those buying them don’t really care how long they last...
Spend the money on something good if it is for your own use. I agree though to repair yours if only paying labor.

I had GE for about 5 years in the basement and it had this loud fan noise . Really loud. It was a cheap fridge , probably about $500. Wasn’t worth my time to try to trouble shoot it. I wondered if it was that it was in the basement and not in the best cIimate controller area . Supposedly GE fridges have that problem.
I got a 1k$ whirlpool about 3 years ago. Haven’t had a problem yet ...fingers crossed.

If you’re having trouble with your fridge , maybe add it to the pseg worry free protection. Then in 30 days give them a call. If you can wait then 30 days .

Noticed that “Samsung” seems to be the product of choice at most mid level new spec builds and renovated “ rentals” tells me one thing- they look good but cheap and those buying them don’t really care how long they last...
Spend the money on something good if it is for your own use. I agree though to repair yours if only paying labor.

We still have a working freezer/fridge Whirlpool Harvest Gold color from the 1970's that we keep in our garage. It came with the house we bought in 1993. Never had a service call.

I had GE for about 5 years in the basement and it had this loud fan noise . Really loud. It was a cheap fridge , probably about $500. Wasn’t worth my time to try to trouble shoot it. I wondered if it was that it was in the basement and not in the best cIimate controller area . Supposedly GE fridges have that problem.
I got a 1k$ whirlpool about 3 years ago. Haven’t had a problem yet ...fingers crossed.

If you’re having trouble with your fridge , maybe add it to the pseg worry free protection. Then in 30 days give them a call. If you can wait then 30 days .

Monmouth county is out of PSEG area otherwise I would be on that plan....

Problem is there is a big gap between an LG / Samsung / Whirlpool and something like a sub zero.

Mine has started working again which is adding to the pain. Wish it would just die so the tech can find the issue.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Here we go our 8 year old LG refrigerator stopped working a couple of days ago. We heard a clicking sound and then it stopped cooling. Now its working again.

Anyone else have an issue with this with LG? There is a class action lawsuit regarding defective compressors . Our compressor is still under warranty but will have to pay labor.

Just went through this. When you say stopped cooling - was it instant or gradual?

When you say noise- was it a repetitive clicking? That lasted for a while?

I had noticed a noise and new something was wrong, then noticed the temps slowly raising. The coils in the back were frozen up and the click was from ice creeping towards a fan. As the fan spun, the blades would click against the ice.

Issue ended up being a clogged drain which cause the ice build up. As the coils cycle, they thaw and the small amount of ice needs to drain away and evaporate.

Simple quick fix, there are YouTube videos everywhere that allow you to diagnose various issues if you are handy and don't mind getting into stuff to save some money.

Reactions: ATIOH and rutino
Monmouth county is out of PSEG area otherwise I would be on that plan....

Oh ok. Maybe see how much they will charge you for a service appointment . It might not be worth it to fix a fridge approaching double digit years .
They don’t make things like they used to .

Had a Samsung. The icemaker was a piece of utter garbage. When it went after a couple of years it made more sense to replace the whole fridge and put the Samsung in the garage replacing a 20+ year old energy hog.

Installed Kitchenaid in 2016. Needed a service call 6 months ago who it shut down completely. Was told the electrical panel was bad. $500 to fix it. Every 4-5 weeks it keeps happening. I need to unplug the refrigerator wait 5 minutes and plug it back in. It starts working again. 3.5 years for a $3000 refrigerator. They are all garbage.

Installed Kitchenaid in 2016. Needed a service call 6 months ago who it shut down completely. Was told the electrical panel was bad. $500 to fix it. Every 4-5 weeks it keeps happening. I need to unplug the refrigerator wait 5 minutes and plug it back in. It starts working again. 3.5 years for a $3000 refrigerator. They are all garbage.

That sucks !

According to a couple sales people I've talked to over the years, refrigerators are designed to last about 8 years nowadays. Most are manufactured in Brazil. The salespeople have told me it doesn't matter if you buy the cheapest refrigerator or a Sub Zero. It's a shame because my parents have a 35 year old and a 30 year old refrigerator which are in great shape. The technology is there to make a good, long lasting product, but it seems like the manufacturers purposely make them shitty to sell them more frequently.

According to a couple sales people I've talked to over the years, refrigerators are designed to last about 8 years nowadays. Most are manufactured in Brazil. The salespeople have told me it doesn't matter if you buy the cheapest refrigerator or a Sub Zero. It's a shame because my parents have a 35 year old and a 30 year old refrigerator which are in great shape. The technology is there to make a good, long lasting product, but it seems like the manufacturers purposely make them shitty to sell them more frequently.

Another reason to bring manufacturing back to the USA

Never had a single issue with my sub-zero that we had for 12 years in my other house. Expect it to last another 12 as well. Renting a fairly nice house now and they have a cheap ass Kitchenaid and it just feels cheap. We have noticed right away that perishables last less then half the time they did in the Sub Zero.

Another reason to bring manufacturing back to the USA

People keep saying this- bring it back to the USA...please tell me how you do that and keep the price points to where us normal everyday people would be able to buy them? Until someone has that answer- just stop acting like it is that simple. And if we want to manufacture here and keep the price where they are, we would have to hire all those people your leader wants to wall off...

Reactions: lakejj
Never had a single issue with my sub-zero that we had for 12 years in my other house. Expect it to last another 12 as well. Renting a fairly nice house now and they have a cheap ass Kitchenaid and it just feels cheap. We have noticed right away that perishables last less then half the time they did in the Sub Zero.

People keep saying this- bring it back to the USA...please tell me how you do that and keep the price points to where us normal everyday people would be able to buy them? Until someone has that answer- just stop acting like it is that simple. And if we want to manufacture here and keep the price where they are, we would have to hire all those people your leader wants to wall off...
Our Sub Zero was garbage. The prior owner of former house had one of those American Home Shield warranty packages. Our Sub Zero broke several times, and the repair guy said he got the most work out of Sub Zero fridges-- he loved the brand. We will never buy a so-called high end fridge again. Maybe we had a lemon, but the words of the repair man stuck with us.

Just had our washer mach go bonkers.

Tech came replaced part. Worked fine for an hour. Tech returned, something in the computer board is fritzed. $ too much for an older Whirlpool.

Tech took out the part, refunded us the $ and did a check on the dryer and replaced a part for that "tuneup", so we still got a working dryer.

HE says LG for the new washing mach. is the way to go.

If you pay people more they can afford to spend more. We outsourced the labor, to make bigger profits at the top domestically but now send more money over seas.. it's not difficult. Factor in what we now need to spend on taxes to keep the military built up because of all the spending China is doing in their military to challenge us now and it's clearly cheaper to keep the money in the US

If you pay people more they can afford to spend more. We outsourced the labor, to make bigger profits at the top domestically but now send more money over seas.. it's not difficult. Factor in what we now need to spend on taxes to keep the military built up because of all the spending China is doing in their military to challenge us now and it's clearly cheaper to keep the money in the US
So, downsizing the military will save the American people enough taxes that we can afford to pay at least double for our American made products.
Believe me, I really really wish we could be 100% American made. When I was manufacturing a product, I went into it thinking American made only. But that product that was very well made in China cost me .28 total including the container where as it was 1,25 to make here in the USA for same quality.
How do you make up that difference? They are paying their labor in the $2 per hour range...
Heck, In my last job, I hired a guy from Taiwan to scrub my B2B call lists and he cost me less than 4 per hour for full time. Same person here is 15-20 per hour. With benefits

Just had our washer mach go bonkers.

Tech came replaced part. Worked fine for an hour. Tech returned, something in the computer board is fritzed. $ too much for an older Whirlpool.

Tech took out the part, refunded us the $ and did a check on the dryer and replaced a part for that "tuneup", so we still got a working dryer.

HE says LG for the new washing mach. is the way to go.
Avoid LG. Worst washer we ever had.
And you are going to take the advice of a repair tech on what to buy? It's the way to go perhaps to get him more work.

I just renovated the kitchen and went with the GE Cafe line. Bought it because GE support is still better than most. Had Viking in the last place and it sucked.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I just renovated the kitchen and went with the GE Cafe line. Bought it because GE support is still better than most. Had Viking in the last place and it sucked.
We have had GE Profile for the last 3 years in our new kitchen, and we are extremely satisfied. The cost of the entire kitchen appliance package was less than a Sub Zero fridge.

Bringing back manufacturing doesn't mean that businesses will take planned obsolescence out of the business model. Companies can't sell enough new stuff if the old stuff never needs to be replaced.
And they have the problem that there really arent many ways to make people say "Wow, I need to get that new model!" I really havent heard of many people ever getting rid of a perfectly working fridge just to up grade for no specific reason. Though, if they all go to American made, they may have to start going with a lease option. lol

And they have the problem that there really arent many ways to make people say "Wow, I need to get that new model!" I really havent heard of many people ever getting rid of a perfectly working fridge just to up grade for no specific reason. Though, if they all go to American made, they may have to start going with a lease option. lol

When people redo their kitchen lots of folks upgrade their appliances. Also an old fridge wastes a lot of electricity over the life of a fridge.

I narrowed my search down to Bluestar and GE. Bluestar is a US company and GE is owned by a Chinese company now. I went with GE because their service department was better and I saved 40%.

My repair guy says that most consumer appliances (excluding the high end) are crap compared to years ago. The parts used now will never stand up to the wear and tear of machines made years ago and it's by design so they sell more units.

He specifically told us to avoid any LG & Samsung appliances even though they are very popular. Said most experienced repairmen won't deal with the companies so if you have a warranty repair you're getting an inexperienced guy doing the service call.

Reactions: bethlehemfan

My Subzero is like 15 years old. No problems. I have a smaller one too that has not had any issues. Spend the extra dough. They rule.

My repair guy says that most consumer appliances (excluding the high end) are crap compared to years ago. The parts used now will never stand up to the wear and tear of machines made years ago and it's by design so they sell more units.

He specifically told us to avoid any LG & Samsung appliances even though they are very popular. Said most experienced repairmen won't deal with the companies so if you have a warranty repair you're getting an inexperienced guy doing the service call.
Shouldn’t exclude high end. Same issues. Viking could be the worst.

When people redo their kitchen lots of folks upgrade their appliances. Also an old fridge wastes a lot of electricity over the life of a fridge.
Yes, remodel a new kitchen, building a home and “broken” are usually the 3 options. No one buys one if they have none of the three and just want a new model for new tech or keep up with the Jones...

Reactions: fg7321
My Subzero is like 15 years old. No problems. I have a smaller one too that has not had any issues. Spend the extra dough. They rule.
I would never buy anything other than a sub zero again. Ours was very good, yeah, admit I got the high end of the Sub Zero too but what most people don’t see when they have a cheaper product that looks good and runs well is that sub zero really does extend the life of the products in it. Like I said, house I’m renting has kitchenaid and my wife is getting pissed off at the spoilage

Our Sub Zero was garbage. The prior owner of former house had one of those American Home Shield warranty packages. Our Sub Zero broke several times, and the repair guy said he got the most work out of Sub Zero fridges-- he loved the brand. We will never buy a so-called high end fridge again. Maybe we had a lemon, but the words of the repair man stuck with us.

I would guess for every post about a sub-zero being garbage, there would be four or five that disagree....I had my first last 20 plus years, and the second is about 12 years old and running fine....

I believe the subzero come with a long warranty on the compressor also...

I would buy again no problem

the one thing I do is to keep spares for the two filters that need replacing.....as soon as one of them has the indicator go off, I immediately
replace....

edit:...I also would make sure that the repair man you use is an authorized subzero repairman..... the company could tell you over the phone, and I would not trust any
advertisements as being legit in that dept.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT