ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lien on my house, not mine

KeithK7624

All Conference
Sep 3, 2006
Dunedin, Florida
So I’m selling my house and there are 3 liens on my house. From one of my dads old businesses. We happen to share the same name. So somehow they put on my house not his. Any reccos on how to go about getting them removed?

So I’m selling my house and there are 3 liens on my house. From one of my dads old businesses. We happen to share the same name. So somehow they put on my house not his. Any reccos on how to go about getting them removed?
I am assuming the title company found this...What does your Attorney/bank have to say about it? I would start there

Are they State or Federal liens?

It's the title company that needs to work on it. They have to remove false liens.

Then come back as an illegal and you are set for life.
That’s funny you say this because my wife is about to get her citizenship after she passes her naturalization test of course. The process is long and hard and a pain in the ash but we did this the way its supposed to be done according to laws in place not cheap by any means. If I had to do this over again I’d have her wear a cactus 🌵 costume to go undetected in the desert and then when close to the border have her catapulted over the wall. She’d be able to get a license, vote, free medical, get out of jail free which I hope wouldn’t be needed , and a stimulus check, she could also use the cactus costume to get a job as an extra on a western movie set, maybe we’d be lucky and that would turn into a high paying union job. 🤦‍♂️

That’s funny you say this because my wife is about to get her citizenship after she passes her naturalization test of course. The process is long and hard and a pain in the ash but we did this the way its supposed to be done according to laws in place not cheap by any means. If I had to do this over again I’d have her wear a cactus 🌵 costume to go undetected in the desert and then when close to the border have her catapulted over the wall. She’d be able to get a license, vote, free medical, get out of jail free which I hope wouldn’t be needed , and a stimulus check, she could also use the cactus costume to get a job as an extra on a western movie set, maybe we’d be lucky and that would turn into a high paying union job. 🤦‍♂️
I am assuming your wife is not Mexican...

Sorry to hear this. It's always unsettling to find some legal action taken against you without any knowledge. Your lawyer is a good resource to start with.

That’s funny you say this because my wife is about to get her citizenship after she passes her naturalization test of course. The process is long and hard and a pain in the ash but we did this the way its supposed to be done according to laws in place not cheap by any means.
I know all about this and completely agree. It's frustrating to see others get a free pass even though they did everything illegally.

Sorry to hear this. It's always unsettling to find some legal action taken against you without any knowledge. Your lawyer is a good resource to start with.
We discovered the same thing when we were selling my parents' house for my mom's estate. The state of NJ had put a lien on the property based on some back taxes from a long time ago. As her financial executor when she was alive and the executor of her estate when she passed, I never received a single notification of this.

We discovered the same thing when we were selling my parents' house for my mom's estate. The state of NJ had put a lien on the property based on some back taxes from a long time ago. As her financial executor when she was alive and the executor of her estate when she passed, I never received a single notification of this.
Not quite the same, but my wife's identity got stolen and the asshole who did it rented an apartment in her name through a government housing authority and then didn't pay rent (of course). We didn't find out until our banks put a legal freeze on all our accounts. Mind you, we had just closed on our house about two weeks prior. Took about 9 months to clean up with multiple court appearances in another state.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Not quite the same, but my wife's identity got stolen and the asshole who did it rented an apartment in her name through a government housing authority and then didn't pay rent (of course). We didn't find out until our banks put a legal freeze on all our accounts. Mind you, we had just closed on our house about two weeks prior. Took about 9 months to clean up with multiple court appearances in another state.
Did you find this person?

Terrible situation.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
It's amazing how easy it is to put a lien on a property without proper notification to the individual. I discovered a lien against me 7 years after initiated on a property I did not even own. Did not show up on credit reports or multiple background checks conducted in that time period.

NYC water department put a lien against me and a roommate. Landlords dipshit son who lived in the brownstone next door used info from our lease to get the utilities in his home turned on in our names.

Took forever to get it straightened out.

I remember our female engineer got sweet talked into having a contractor, who just came by, to pave our company driveway. The contractor got it done and we paid him but found out later that he didn’t pay for any of the gravel or other supplies. Told them to Bill the company. They put a lien on the property and we paid to get rid of the lien. We were scammed.

I have seen fathers with debt from businesses file fraudulent tax registrations under their same named son. More than once

I assume these are judgment liens. All you need to do is sign an Affidavit of Title which sets forth that the liens are not against you, but someone of same or similar name. The Title Company for the Buyer will accept this and the liens will have no affect on your Closing. You Attorney will prepare the Affidavit of Title for you to sign. if you don't have an attorney, I would be happy to help.

sad that a lien on house OT turns into ranting about illegals.
Probably by some that hire them to get jobs needed cost less than hiring a licensed bonded contractor.
I can understand licensed bonded contractors being upset by homeowner and businesses in their field hiring illegals, but know people who complain about them running to home depot to get someone to do needed work around their house by the people hanging around the entrance and not caring if they were legal residents or not.
Same goes for some businesses that save money by hiring illegals under the table for less than the going rate.
Hardly hear complaints about them, wonder why?

But hope the lien problem gets settled favorably with little to no expense.
Seems like the advice of talking to title company would be a good start .

Reactions: Greg2020
sad that a lien on house OT turns into ranting about illegals.
Probably by some that hire them to get jobs needed cost less than hiring a licensed bonded contractor.
I can understand licensed bonded contractors being upset by homeowner and businesses in their field hiring illegals, but know people who complain about them running to home depot to get someone to do needed work around their house by the people hanging around the entrance and not caring if they were legal residents or not.
Same goes for some businesses that save money by hiring illegals under the table for less than the going rate.
Hardly hear complaints about them, wonder why?

But hope the lien problem gets settled favorably with little to no expense.
Seems like the advice of talking to title company would be a good start .

I agree, I was expecting a trans-dimensional space alien pizza recipe discussion to develop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT