ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Lines to vote

Why don't they require you to bring identification to vote? Simply walk in and say I am so and so, they flip to the book and I sign. They did not even look at my signature to see if matched in the book.
I was thinking the same thing. I guess it is to make voting as easy as possible. If someone signed the register for you and voted as you, you would not be allowed to vote. As long as a vote was cast in your behalf they probably don't care who it was who voted. I am curious if they remove or make a notation in the register for people who have died.

First time voting in Pennsylvania (Franconia Montgomery county).
Differences vs. NJ:
-In PA its legal to campaign at the polling location as reps from each party were handing out flyers at the facility entrance.
-You can vote the entire party line with just one button
-There is button "not voting for any candidate" or something to that effect, sort of a None of the Above vote I guess.
-Polls in PA open at 7am.

7:30am, only a few ahead of me, but people pouring in. We have a hot senate race too, Toomey / McGinty

Why don't they require you to bring identification to vote? Simply walk in and say I am so and so, they flip to the book and I sign. They did not even look at my signature to see if matched in the book.

States have tried to require ID, and as dumb as it sounds they get sued and lose because the courts have decided that requiring ID is voter suppression because it is harder for minorities and the elderly to get ID's.

5 minutes in Bridgewater at 8:30 after I dropped my son off at school. I was told that it was really busy early on. I'm guessing commuters went very early.

Voting should be easier to increase participation. The USA trails other countries in voter turnout and participation. Wait till tonight when people are lined up for hours. This is just sad.

Generic participation of uninformed votes does not benefit the country. Now if you are talking informed voters than I agree.

Huh, shows what I know. Handed my driver's license to the lady at the desk, expecting that she needed to see it. Guess I've always done that for 20 years now.

Totally mind boggling that no ID is required. Ridiculous.
Requesting an ID would be voter intimidation. The system is rigged and we're nothing but pawns in that system.

I voted in my suburban Atlanta county just after lunchtime. There was no line there but it was somewhat steady, most machines being used. I asked about the morning line and the worker said they had a lot of people there for the first 90 minutes or so. I'm sure it will pick up again in the evening.

I voted weeks ago via mail in. Why the hell would I wait in line to vote?

This state is a lock anyway so it doesn't matter who you vote for Pres, the local elections and ballot questions are far more important.

I may be wrong but aren't employers supposed to give you time to vote?

BTW, there is no logical reason why today shouldn't be a national holiday. The fact that is is not is madness. IMHO.

I have to go to a different town to vote of I wanted to vote in person, it would have been a huge pain. I was so happy when NJ allowed everyone to mail in their ballots.

First time voting in Pennsylvania (Franconia Montgomery county).
Differences vs. NJ:
-In PA its legal to campaign at the polling location as reps from each party were handing out flyers at the facility entrance.
This one threw me the most when I hopped the river. I can't stand it.

It took us no more than five minutes to vote. I signed the ledger....right next to my signature from last time. I have crappy penmanship.I don't think anyone could forge my signature if they tried. Also not sure what their motivation would be.
I do however know what the motivation is for those that wanna make it more difficult to vote.

Reactions: Abro1975 and zgoru
You are correct. A memo went out last week at our company that indicated it was acceptable to take time to vote with no penalty for time away from work.
And you should take 3 or 4 hours off to vote because the lines are soooooo long. ;-)

NJ should do early in person voting. If they allowed us to vote at the County Colleges for the 2 weekends prior to the election I guess at least 25-35% of the votes would have been cast before today.

I feel for the avg person who may be scrambling to vote because of work obligations, commuting issues (the Pascack valley trains were down this morning), childcare issues, and a host of other issues.

It is not inconceivable that a person with a 1 hour train / bus ride from NJ to NYC or Philly is on mass transit around 6 am (when polls open) to get to work by 8 am. Then they can't leave work until almost 6 and if there is any kind of transit delay may not be able to get to a voting location by 8 pm. Even those not on mass transit may have similar issues if they have to work a 12 hour shift today.
And how is this different than it was 20 - 25 years ago?
With that said I'm all for voting to begin on the Saturday before Election Day during the hours 8am to 9pm through Election Day. Dump the Early Voting in states and all non-military absentee balloting. Be there to vote and provide a form of id.

Reactions: Abro1975
Friend in Jersey City waited 3 hours in line. Seems like they're having problems up there.

Only had to wait a few minutes for the people in front of me, and then about as long for someone who wasn't even there. It seems its easier for people to register then to unregister.

In NJ there is no law requiring your employer to give you time to vote.

No wait at 2:50pm. However they changed the voting location and I went to the old one since it has been there for at least 20 years, and I had to go online to see where they moved it to. Potentially moving the location may decrease voter turnout.

My question is whether there are any races whatsoever in Hoboken or Jersey City where the outcome is in any doubt? No US Senate race makes this even more true.

there are the ballot questions and possible freeholder / city council / school board positions. You also have congress but Hudson cCy should go Democrat.

A photo ID and SS# are generally required to register to vote.

Motorvoter laws in some (if not all states - not sure about the numbers) is merely a check box asking the applicant if they are a citizen and would like to register to vote. There is no follow-up as that too is racist.

I waited 2 hours in Jersey City this morning. ONE voting machine for an entire district! There were close to 200 people standing on line to use one machine. Looked like the kind of "make voting inconvenient" nonsense you see in the red states.

Election day should be a federal holiday, or on a weekend. It's bullshit that something so important is basically an inconvenience for everyone to do. I have to be at work at 8 so can't be late, and by the time I leave traffic is a nightmare. Those who have kids or other obligations are in an even bigger predicament.
Yup. We should be encouraging every eligible voter to vote. Increasingly early voting opportunities, making election day a weekend or a public holiday as they do in other major and not so major countries, automatic voter registration/update when you go for say a driver's license or other state issued ID are all things that should happen.

Reactions: OTBOTOR and Block R
ADVERTISEMENT