ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Live streaming service for CFB watching

scarletrider

Junior
Sep 24, 2012
i cut cord a few years ago. didn't watch RU football much last few years. used to just go to a bar if i wanted to watch a game.

now the B1G games are back i need to get a service to watch the games.

youtube tv looks good to me in that it's got all the cfb channels.

i am curious what others are doing. ??

I’ve used HULU live this season. I cut the cord few months ago. Was a big jump for a non tech guy. It’s been great, zero issues.

I am on an older package of AT&T TVNow. They don't offer my package anymore since they lost a lot of channels to other streaming services. I have 105+ channels. I think their current packages have 65+. I used to use a combo of PlayStation Vue and Sling. However I switched to AT&T TV since it included MSG (most streaming networks don't except for Fubu) and I could get all my channels on one service. I assume I will be looking soon as well once they force me off at some point, so I am interested in what others are using.

On AT&T TVNow, I get ACC, SEC, all the ESPN's, Fox and CBS channels. I just don't have Pac-12 and Longhorn. However, I do pay for the ESPP App (for college hockey...hopefully there is a season) so I get more content there as well.

Just google streaming boxes. Have one and it works great with over 6ooo channels, free pay per view and all the Sunday ticket type sport packages free. I got mine from a local audio video store. I pay less than 20 bucks a month.

I used PS Vue previously, which was good but they canceled the whole thing earlier this year.

YouTube looks to be about the best option.

Cut the cord two years ago and have not looked back - We have YouTubeTV - Nice App/channel choices and the unlimited DVR service is great to have. It has gotten pricier though. Started at 49.99 per month and now up to 64.99 per month. Big increase in two years IMO

Youtube TV is fun because you can watch games on your phone from anywhere you have service (if you dont mind the data use). I had it for a few years but dropped it last March since nothing was on. Normally I would sign-up again for football, but I'm not interested in watching any this year. With all the commercials, play reviews and assorted nonsense, the extended highlight vids on YouTube feel a better use of time. I get full Army game in HD off Youtube. Plus at 65/month I might as well just sign back up with Fios. I cut the cord to end-up paying more than where I left off

Youtube TV is fun because you can watch games on your phone from anywhere you have service (if you dont mind the data use). I had it for a few years but dropped it last March since nothing was on. Normally I would sign-up again for football, but I'm not interested in watching any this year. With all the commercials, play reviews and assorted nonsense, the extended highlight vids on YouTube feel a better use of time. I get full Army game in HD off Youtube. Plus at 65/month I might as well just sign back up with Fios. I cut the cord to end-up paying more than where I left off

Still less per mo than a big, stupid cable package but not for long. Big difference is if you just do it for FB and then cancel. 5 months instead of 12.

This year I'll probably wait until Oct, so only 4 months.

A single Netflix or Prime + MLB TV (which I need with or without cable for Tanks games) is good enough for the rest of the year. Plus a lot of free content around.

Reactions: ashokan
Still less per mo than a big, stupid cable package but not for long. Big difference is if you just do it for FB and then cancel. 5 months instead of 12.

This year I'll probably wait until Oct, so only 4 months.

A single Netflix or Prime + MLB TV (which I need with or without cable for Tanks games) is good enough for the rest of the year. Plus a lot of free content around.

I was paying 125/month for triple play when I cut cord. Now with just internet (77 Fios) and Youtube TV I would pay 142. I was paying 117 after cutting cord, and getting better programming since CBSCS (carries Army games) was part of Youtube where on Fios I needed a whole new package level.

Reactions: fsg2
I was paying 125/month for triple play when I cut cord. Now with just internet (77 Fios) and Youtube TV I would pay 142. I was paying 117 after cutting cord, and getting better programming since CBSCS (carries Army games) was part of Youtube where on Fios I needed a whole new package level.

Sad how quickly it's climbed right back.

On the plus side, a decade ago I couldn't imagine life with minimal to no TV and now I definitely can.

Reactions: RW90 and ashokan
I am weighing between youtube tv vs hulu. Looks like youtube tv doesn't have fox sports but hulu does. Leaning that way.

Just google streaming boxes. Have one and it works great with over 6ooo channels, free pay per view and all the Sunday ticket type sport packages free. I got mine from a local audio video store. I pay less than 20 bucks a month.
I would love to hear a recommendation of you didn’t mind. Can email if you want. I used a good site for UFC last night. But DirecTV now wants to whack me for $170 w month now. I’m basically at the point of FU with them
I just want to be able to watch college football, college hoops and because I like pain, the Mets

If you are on Verizon with unlimited data you can get Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ included. That is a pretty good start.

I am weighing between youtube tv vs hulu. Looks like youtube tv doesn't have fox sports but hulu does. Leaning that way.
YouTube TV does have Fox Sports - it has FS1, BTN and all the ESPN channels so you're covered for all RU football and basketball games.

It doesn't have YES Network anymore, though all the Yankees postseason games will be on national networks anyway but it could be a issue next season if that's a team you care about.

The biggest advantage of YouTubeTV is the unlimited DVR. I believe Hulu only allows you a limited amount of hours of recordings.

Reactions: biker7766 and RW90
I cut the cord several years ago and have used multiple streaming services... For me it's been about content first, but there are differences among services (and their interfaces that matter). I've heard there are some differences in the app design depending on the device you use to access -- I use a FireTV/Fire Sticks, some services work better/worse on Roku and AppleTVs. I'll add that the following channels are important to me: Redzone, Big Ten Network and YES.
  • PlayStation Vue: Had all three channels at a reasonable cost. Interface was good. They couldn't keep the price competitive and never really marketed the service well.
  • YouTube TV: No YES. Big Ten, RedZone and lots of other regional sports channels. $65 base package, is pretty good. RedZone is extra. Unlimited cloud based DVR is pretty amazing.
  • Hulu: No RedZone. Has YES and Big Ten Network. Interface is terrible. Can't fast forward through commercials on DVR. Very frustrating. If watching live you can channel surf. With the forced commercials, if you surf, you go back to the commercial where you left off... or have to restart if it hiccups. Also can't record a show, start watching 20 minutes late fast forward through commercials.
We started with Vue. When it was cancelled (last January) we went to Youtube until baseball started, and then we switched to Hulu. I really disliked the Hulu interface, but might have gritted it out if they had RedZone. Made the choice to go back to YouTube because the baseball playoffs start soon (Yankees will be on free TV, if they make the playoffs) and I wanted to watch RedZone on weekends. Come spring, I probably won't go back to Hulu for the Yankees. The Youtube TV interface is much better: fewer clicks to change channels, better quality picture, better DVR and no forced commercials.

As been stated, YouTubeTV dropped YES network which sucks for fellow Yankee fans.

The other thing I've never quite gotten used to is waiting 20-30 seconds after turning on the tv before you can even start the broadcast. On our digital TVs (Samsung and TCLs) you first have to: 1) select the app; 2) scroll through the channel guide; then 3) wait another five seconds or so for video buffering. Gone are the days where you can simply enter the channel number via the remote, or start the TV on the last previous channel.

Not that I use it... but, I've heard that others might:

I'm considering cutting the cord. Have xfinity now. Want to watch live sports and occasionally (rarely these days) live news. Have Apple TV consoles on all my TVs. I do have Hulu, but haven't used it for live sports (I'll give it a shot this weekend). How long does Hulu keep old games in its library? What about network apps (NBC, FOX, CBSSports, etc.)? Can I access live or recorded programming on those if I don't subscribe to a cable system?

Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT