ADVERTISEMENT

OT: London Broil?

miket007

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
New Haven
This cut of meat is always talked about on this board so i figured i'd ask some of you, i picked up 2, 2 pound filets that i seasoned & will let sit overnight before cooking in the crockpot tomorrow, i've always heard this is a tough meat but since it's cooking in the crock pot i'm thinking 4-5 hours on low cooking in beef broth. Opinions please and thanks in advance!

You marinate then broil or grill, not season and slow cook.

Chinese food is always good on a Sunday night.

I believe your method would be called Pot Roast....still good, very tender, a bit soft for my taste unless you do alot of vegetables with it....more like a stew...

Reactions: JRZEER
My wife is Irish, my son and I dread when she buys a London Broil, lol. It takes my gums 2 days to recuperate.

This cut of meat is always talked about on this board so i figured i'd ask some of you, i picked up 2, 2 pound filets that i seasoned & will let sit overnight before cooking in the crockpot tomorrow, i've always heard this is a tough meat but since it's cooking in the crock pot i'm thinking 4-5 hours on low cooking in beef broth. Opinions please and thanks in advance!

Good advice here:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-grilling-london-broil.90999/

And here:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/need-help-from-london-broil-experts.16377

Look who chimed in:

Mini-Me-Nod-and-Wave_zpsp8ye1rs2.gif

Make sure you run over it in the driveway a few times to properly tenderize it!

I used a london broil in my crockpot a week or so ago - did it up with potatoes and carrots, plus a can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with a package of onion soup mix. Plus some seasoning. Cooked that on high for about 6 hours, came out really good. I still prefer chuck roast over london broil, but it works. I did cut the london broil into cubes so that it would be tenderer.

Reactions: miket007
If you're going to use a crock pot, a really helpful trick is, in addition to the carrots, potatoes, and onions, throw in a rock about the size of a softball (make sure you clean the rock really thoroughly first). Cook for two days, throw away the London broil and eat the rock.

I never has it before last year. And then I read all these threads and felt I had to try it. $6 what else do I have to lose. I picked up some premade teriyaki marinade and put it in overnight. Took it out of the fridge about 2 hours before cooking. Got the grill nice and hot and did five minutes per side. Took it off, tented it and let it rest around 5 minutes. Sliced it against the grain.

It was good. Definitely good enough to make over and over again, and a good value compared to a sirloin steak or ny strip, which are significantly more expensive and not as good.

Reactions: Veiox
Great advice in this thread fellas so i'm grateful.....i stopped by shop rite in west haven last night & london broil was all they had left. It's to hot out to grill which is why i'm going to use the crockpot. Going to go with that 6 hours on high with this being such a tough cut of meat

Great advice in this thread fellas so i'm grateful.....i stopped by shop rite in west haven last night & london broil was all they had left. It's to hot out to grill which is why i'm going to use the crockpot. Going to go with that 6 hours on high with this being such a tough cut of meat

There is no way any supermarket worth a thing has only one cut of beef left at any point.

And "too hot to grill" doesn't even make sense and is a total backtrack from your OP.

You bought it. Just own that U bought it. Who cares. The cut not as bad as this board makes it out to be. And is very good value for the dollar. Enjoy.

WoooHoooo! Enjoy the LoBro. Myself, well, heading out in a bit to the PikNPig for lunch today. That's in Carthage, NC, the county seat. BBQ platter. That's p-i-g pig BBQ. Pulled not sliced. Served straight up slow roasted. Sauce per your taste, either a "traditional" eastern NC version that's vinegar-based with red flake pepper, or a tomato-based semi-sweet (molasses) sauce. Me? I mix both. Served with two sides. My standard is a hefty baked potato with sour cream and butter and a butterbean-corn medley (what some may call succotash) and a corn bread muffin, all washed down with Iced Tea. Love me some BBQ. This little gem of an eatery is on the grounds of the rickety old municipal-county airport. Folks fly in for Q. Then fly out. It's that good. Check it out if you're ever in these parts, for golf.

There is no way any supermarket worth a thing has only one cut of beef left at any point.

And "too hot to grill" doesn't even make sense and is a total backtrack from your OP.

You bought it. Just own that U bought it. Who cares. The cut not as bad as this board makes it out to be. And is very good value for the dollar. Enjoy.

They had some sirloins & strips left everything had been picked over hell the meat dept was closed by the time i get there, maybe your tollerance is better than mine but with the heat & humidity no way was i messing with some charcoal

When selecting London Broil, The cut that has what looks like a hump on it is much better than the flat looking cut.

Marinate for 2 hours - overnight.

My marinade is:
2 -4 lbs of lobro
1 chopped clove of garlic
3-4 Oz red wine vinegar
1 to 2 Oz olive oil
4 Oz soy sauce
Teaspoon onion powder
Teaspoon chili powder
Teaspoon black pepper
A little salt
A little paprika

ok boys and girls here it goes,it been in the restaurant business for forty years, I owned and operated six restaurants, over the years on this boards I see guys asking for London broil recipes, I'm going to give you the recipe that I used in all my restaurants, the only one you will ever need for tender and succulent meat of any kind,first the ingredients, in a container you put,
One three finger ginger root peeled and cut in to one inch cubes, you add enough DRY vermouth to cover the ginger, refrigerate until the ginger absorves the vermouth,(both should be the same color) this will take a few days, this is your base for the marinade, when this is done
And you ready to grill add a cup of the vermouth and two cubes of ginger chopped chop two gloves of garlic, a cup of olive oil, 3 soup spoons of gray poupon mustard, 1 cup of your choice regular or low salt soy sauce,(I use regular) salt and pepper, mix in a bowl, put the meat in a plastic bag add the marinade and let stand in room temp until meat becomes same color as marinade, (up to four hrs) bring grill to high heat
Place meat on grill close lid turn meat after two minutes and do the same on the other side, Lower heat and cook for four minutes on each side, turn off heat wait two minutes and remove
Tent the meat for five minutes and slice thin AGAINST THE GRAIN, enjoy!!!!!!

Look who chimed in:

I used a london broil in my crockpot a week or so ago - did it up with potatoes and carrots, plus a can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with a package of onion soup mix. Plus some seasoning. Cooked that on high for about 6 hours, came out really good. I still prefer chuck roast over london broil, but it works. I did cut the london broil into cubes so that it would be tenderer.
Please. It's "more tenderer".

ok boys and girls here it goes,it been in the restaurant business for forty years, I owned and operated six restaurants, over the years on this boards I see guys asking for London broil recipes, I'm going to give you the recipe that I used in all my restaurants, the only one you will ever need for tender and succulent meat of any kind,first the ingredients, in a container you put,
One three finger ginger root peeled and cut in to one inch cubes, you add enough DRY vermouth to cover the ginger, refrigerate until the ginger absorves the vermouth,(both should be the same color) this will take a few days, this is your base for the marinade, when this is done
And you ready to grill add a cup of the vermouth and two cubes of ginger chopped chop two gloves of garlic, a cup of olive oil, 3 soup spoons of gray poupon mustard, 1 cup of your choice regular or low salt soy sauce,(I use regular) salt and pepper, mix in a bowl, put the meat in a plastic bag add the marinade and let stand in room temp until meat becomes same color as marinade, (up to four hrs) bring grill to high heat
Place meat on grill close lid turn meat after two minutes and do the same on the other side, Lower heat and cook for four minutes on each side, turn off heat wait two minutes and remove

I forgot to add, replace the vermouth in the same container as you use it, this marinade will last in the fridge for a year!!!

That marinade sounds pretty good. Gonna give it a try. Not necessarily on lobro though.

I never has it before last year. And then I read all these threads and felt I had to try it. $6 what else do I have to lose. I picked up some premade teriyaki marinade and put it in overnight. Took it out of the fridge about 2 hours before cooking. Got the grill nice and hot and did five minutes per side. Took it off, tented it and let it rest around 5 minutes. Sliced it against the grain.

It was good. Definitely good enough to make over and over again, and a good value compared to a sirloin steak or ny strip, which are significantly more expensive and not as good.

And you thought I'd never help you out. You're welcome. It's also healthier than other parts of the cow.

I recommend making your own marinade one time - something with citrus, soy and fresh herbs.

Look who chimed in:

I cooked it on high for about 4 and a half hours & it seemed tender/done when i flipped them with the fork going through the meat so i cut it off because i didn't want to overcook or dry them out, i used a cup of beef broth to cook the meat in so that may possibly have something to do with it

Last week Shop Rite had tri-tip. You never see that here. I marinaded it the same as a lobro, grilled it 5 minutes per side, and sliced it against the grain. More tender than top round.

So what's wrong with beef jerky for dinner?!

Hankee ! The Meat man ? You still in touch with our friend in Little Falls, Jen D ? Let's have a drink at Sear some Happy Hour soon . Your old company gets worse and worse. Counting the days.

ADVERTISEMENT