ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LONG DURATION MAJOR HEATWAVE BEGINS FRIDAY JUNE 29

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Looks to commence Friday but possibly Thursday for some and run at least through the 4th of July. Question is how hot will it get. Right now as they usual do mets and NWS are being cautious with low to some mid 90s forecast but models such as the GFS are quite brutal spitting out number as high as 107, even if wrong there is a possibility of approaching 100 in some hot spots at some point Sunday or early next week. the 12z GFS cut back on those extreme numbers but there were still outputs near or above 100.

So get ready everyone, make sure your fans and ACs and thermostats are working. A heat lovers paradise coming like manna from heaven.

Looks to commence Friday but possibly Thursday for some and run at least through the 4th of July. Question is how hot will it get. Right now as they usual do mets and NWS are being cautious with low to some mid 90s forecast but models such as the GFS are quite brutal spitting out number as high as 107, even if wrong there is a possibility of approaching 100 in some hot spots at some point Sunday or early next week. the 12z GFS cut back on those extreme numbers but there were still outputs near or above 100.

So get ready everyone, make sure your fans and ACs and thermostats are working. A heat lovers paradise coming like manna from heaven.
Saw that on the news tonight. Everyday starting Friday will have feels like temps near 100. Ugh.

Yikes, it's finally the summer!

How dare you steal the thunder. . . .

Question. I was going to finally drop my grass seed on Saturday. Will I be OK in the germination stage during a heat wave? I am almost inclined to hold steady until August 10, but tired of looking at a black dirt yard.

Question. I was going to finally drop my grass seed on Saturday. Will I be OK in the germination stage during a heat wave? I am almost inclined to hold steady until August 10, but tired of looking at a black dirt yard.
Plant in the fall. Too late now. Unless you want to spend a ton on watering. And that's no guarantee either .

wait until September

wait until September

August 20?
https://njaes.rutgers.edu/fs584/

Seeding

Timing: Late summer and early fall provide the most ideal conditions for turfgrass establishment. Generally, this timing will allow adequate grass growth prior to winter. Cool evening and moderate daytime temperatures, along with anticipated fall precipitation, are conducive to rapid seed germination. In addition, many weeds including crabgrass are no longer germinating, reducing competition in new turfgrass plantings. Primary Establishment Period—late summer, early fall. (The earlier date is most desirable.) Southern New Jersey (Trenton and south) August 20th to October 10th

Do it in September.

so something like this?

1277899829_termionator-2-bomb.gif

August 20?
https://njaes.rutgers.edu/fs584/

Seeding

Timing: Late summer and early fall provide the most ideal conditions for turfgrass establishment. Generally, this timing will allow adequate grass growth prior to winter. Cool evening and moderate daytime temperatures, along with anticipated fall precipitation, are conducive to rapid seed germination. In addition, many weeds including crabgrass are no longer germinating, reducing competition in new turfgrass plantings. Primary Establishment Period—late summer, early fall. (The earlier date is most desirable.) Southern New Jersey (Trenton and south) August 20th to October 10th

if we are getting temps of 90 or above and its dry that will not work

Reactions: Knight Shift
Plant in the fall. Too late now. Unless you want to spend a ton on watering. And that's no guarantee either .

Agree. My dad always planted grass seed on Sept 1.

SW FL weather is now Summer like. 92F and high humidity w a thunderstorm in the PM. Will be interesting to see if NY area weather can get above that.

Plant grass seed after 01Oct

to anyone who planted lawns this spring, we should have waiting until fall
I re seeded a whole portion of my lawn in May and it is doing great. Filled in nicely. I was sure to mix theseed in with soil, then cover it with more soil and water religiously for about 4 weeks.

It can be done... some of it involves a bit of luck, but trying to seed in extreme heat will rewuire a ton of watering.

Paint it green and wait till October. You can now look at green dirt.:) Seriously don't waste your money KnightShift. When it doesn't grow you'll be kicking yourself in the ass and then have to buy more seed. I know, I tried it one summer, thinking I'm a farmer I can grow anything anytime. I lost $400 bucks worth of pasture mix and 2 months of busting my ass watering.

Last edited:
GFS backed off its extreme outputs in the last couple of runs, so the idea of temps 100 or above are unlikely. Details still to be ironed out but this heatwave looks to be a low 90s with some days in the mid 90s prolly Saturday and Sunday. Also the humidity looks pretty high so the real feels will be unbearable for most peeps

GFS backed off its extreme outputs in the last couple of runs, so the idea of temps 100 or above are unlikely. Details still to be ironed out but this heatwave looks to be a low 90s with some days in the mid 90s prolly Saturday and Sunday. Also the humidity looks pretty high so the real feels will be unbearable for most peeps
Thanks for the update!
Concise, to the point, and useful. :)

Are the Hillsborough Deli MILFs dressed appropriately?

Reactions: Caliknight

When did east coasters become so soft?!

Reactions: goru1869
so I deleted my post I just did calling for the backing off of the extreme numbers as the 0zGFS did bring that potential back so we at least know that we should have several days Friday through Monday in the 90-95 range with the "potential" to go higher but that is not certain. Real feels will be uncomfortable for most.

Can't stand hot weather.Waiting for football season.Of course,we are playing an afternoon game at the beginning of the season and we can expect kickoff temps around 147 degrees.

And even hotter in the stands on the sunny side!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT