ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Long Weekend Thur- Sun getaway?

Think of Hamptons is to the Vineyard as the North Fork is to Nantucket.

@yesrutgers01 funny thing, @RUScrew85 are planning a long weekend away in September as well. Cape May was first on our list. My daughter has a good friend who works down there (he was actually the officiant at her wedding this year) I told him we were looking for something reasonable..I used $350/night as a number. His suggestions were The Grand Hotel, LaMer and Icona....all 3 on the beach.

you bringing up Newport is another good thought though.
If we were to meet up, do I continue to use your aliases as the “Screws”!lol

@yesrutgers01 funny thing, @RUScrew85 are planning a long weekend away in September as well. Cape May was first on our list. My daughter has a good friend who works down there (he was actually the officiant at her wedding this year) I told him we were looking for something reasonable..I used $350/night as a number. His suggestions were The Grand Hotel, LaMer and Icona....all 3 on the beach.

you bringing up Newport is another good thought though. We may have to look into that as well.
Glad you made an appearance here...

What about the area down by Washington College? Do you think @yesrutgers01 and bride might like it there?

Glad you made an appearance here...

What about the area down by Washington College? Do you think @yesrutgers01 and bride might like it there?

Chestertown is pretty boring. Not a lot to do. Kent Island is nice.
Isn't Maryland on the quarantine list when you return to NJ? Personally I need to avoid those places.

RI might be on the quarantine list also. They were a few days ago but haven't looked since. I went down to DC and Maryland a couple weeks ago and those places got added when I was already down there.

If you don't mind going a little further North then Boston, Salem, Portsmouth, Kittery, Kennebunkport, Oqunquitt, and Portland are also great places.

RI might be on the quarantine list also. They were a few days ago but haven't looked since. I went down to DC and Maryland a couple weeks ago and those places got added when I was already down there.

If you don't mind going a little further North then Boston, Salem, Portsmouth.Kittery, Kennebunkport, Oqunquitt, and Portland are also great places.

Rhode Island was removed from the list. Maryland and 30 other states plus Puerto Rico & the Virgin Iands remain

https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-info...ere-travel-restrictions-to-or-from-new-jersey

Why would they have this video on their website...tried to show to wife and two minutes in, she asked me if I was out of my F-ing mind! lol

Actually looks like a great place from everything else but whoever their marketing person is...fire them immediately

https://www.southernmansion.com/cape-may-inn/video

That is a super weird video..I think maybe you can rent a room at the post office..

We stayed at Angel's of the Sea in CM in the off season and had a great time. Other than that, we love Block Island off the RI coast. There's not a ton of things to do which is the beauty of it all. Quiet, great scenery and a very chill island. It sounds like you want more attractions/things to do, but it's a great place.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Why would they have this video on their website...tried to show to wife and two minutes in, she asked me if I was out of my F-ing mind! lol

Actually looks like a great place from everything else but whoever their marketing person is...fire them immediately

https://www.southernmansion.com/cape-may-inn/video

lol, that video is bizarre! Trust us, they are doing themselves an incredible disservice with that video. Cape May is a great town, although I probably wouldn’t stay at Southern Mansion purely after seeing that. They need to fire whoever put that together.

A good friend recommended Mystic Ct and stay at the Whalers Inn. About 2 hours away and looks pretty interesting for just getting away and doing nothing. Wife is not a “beach” person but loves to be near water and history

Reactions: Jm0513
A good friend recommended Mystic Ct and stay at the Whalers Inn. About 2 hours away and looks pretty interesting for just getting away and doing nothing. Wife is not a “beach” person but loves to be near water and history

when are you planning on going?

lol, that video is bizarre! Trust us, they are doing themselves an incredible disservice with that video. Cape May is a great town, although I probably wouldn’t stay at Southern Mansion purely after seeing that. They need to fire whoever put that together.
It's clearly someone that got a drone for Christmas (note that it is winter) and wanted to put it to use. Probably shouldn't be on their website though. Almost makes it feel like the house in The Shining in some ways - which means you definitely would not want to stay there.

I've been to Newport, RI twice and Cape May once for vacations in the past, I recommend Newport. As others have said, not sure what the current restrictions are but there are countless Bed and Breakfast options. Decent beach, great restaurants, usually great live music, the mansion tours, etc. Lots to do in 3 or 4 days.

I've been to Newport, RI twice and Cape May once for vacations in the past, I recommend Newport. As others have said, not sure what the current restrictions are but there are countless Bed and Breakfast options. Decent beach, great restaurants, usually great live music, the mansion tours, etc. Lots to do in 3 or 4 days.
The last couple of sentences is the same thing Cape May has. Plus CM has the lighthouse and a WW2 bunker at Cape May Point St. Park , carriage rides plus history, history and yes, more history.

OK guys and girls...outside of the obvious NJ beach towns, where are good options for a Thur- Sun getaway? Keep in mind state to state restrictions.

What we are considering:
Just the two of us. Youthful but in 50's- don't want a "retirement" weekend
Car travel- withing 3-4 hours
Near Water but does not have to be a beach. MAine/RI fit the bill.
Motels are not an option. Either resort Hotel or a nice quaint(B&B a possibility) but clean with a view.
Reasonable- not looking for $500+ per night. Not looking for a dump
Things to do during day- would be nice if walkable. Wife is not going to do museums/gardens, etc. Though, something similar to a Newport RI type area would work.
Would consider Hamptons- but it is very pricey. And I would have to know what part of the Hamptons would be the right place to be in. You can find a $800 per night place and find out it is in the wrong area or a dump
Would like a nice place for dinner and or breakfast either onsite or walkable.

NJ beach could be considered but not LBI and it really would have to be a place that just feels like a great getaway.

COVID considerations apply

Thanks
Have you ever tried the Skylands region of NJ? Its the northwest corner of NJ and to tell you the truth until I moved up this way I had never seen it. Once you get up in sussex county you do not feel like you are in NJ anymore. I was always a Jersey shore guy but I am slowly being enticed by Sussex county and enjoying that area. Completely different than the shore, not as congested and you feel like you are in the mountains. You should check it out for a few days then give us your review.

Have you ever tried the Skylands region of NJ? Its the northwest corner of NJ and to tell you the truth until I moved up this way I had never seen it. Once you get up in sussex county you do not feel like you are in NJ anymore. I was always a Jersey shore guy but I am slowly being enticed by Sussex county and enjoying that area. Completely different than the shore, not as congested and you feel like you are in the mountains. You should check it out for a few days then give us your review.
That is why I live here. Very happy here.

We had actually considered some parts of that area as a place to set down roots on our next home. One negative- diversity.
But, for a nice beautiful area, it is great. It may not fall into the same exact region but a place we love is Lake Hopatcong

OK, so, I was going through their website and was almost even ready to just book it and surprise the wife until...I clicked on a video of their property.
Right next door is the post office, it is no where near the beach and looks to be in the middle of a Paterson like area.
Could someone please tell me I am wrong...
You are wrong. Everything in cape May is bikable and walkable. It is nothing like Paterson lol

Reactions: goru1869

you bringing up Newport is another good thought though. We may have to look into that as well.
We’ve stayed at the grand a few times. Best overall hotel for price. Nice pool and close to beach and bars

Reactions: ashokan
Aurora Inn, Aurora NY

Pleasant Rowlands the founder of American Girl Place refurbished it for $10 Million. Just a little north of Ithaca on Cayuga Lake. Quiet town.
See if MacKenzie Childs is open for buying their stuff.

Went to Newport about three years ago on a budget. Was recommended by a friend to stay at the Howard Johnsons in Middletown (right outside Newport). My wife immediately said no to a HoJos but it has almost 5-star reviews, plus like I said, a friend suggested it. We ended up trying it out. It is a completely renovated hotel, like brand new. Super clean, free parking, very safe area within a very short drive to Newport and local beaches. Again, it's definitely not the Ritz, but we did not spend much time in the room and the price was by far the lowest in the area. https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/hojo/...-johnson-inn-newport-area-middletown/overview

A different friend just spent the weekend up in Dennis, MA on the Cape. Said it was a quiet, lovely town and really had a great time. Seafood could not be beaten Here is where he stayed, he highly recommends it https://www.sesuitharborhouse.com/

Friends of ours who live in Flemington just did a weekend at Lake Placid and everything went well.

I would also highly recommend the Sagamore on Bolton Landing, Lake George.
Not sure I want to go quite that far up. LP is a hike if you are going up on a Friday and trying to be home by 4 pm on Sunday. 3 hour drive may be our max which puts us just about at Newport.
Cape May was also interesting and like I said, the suggested hotel really looked great until watching that video. And even if it is a nice friendly neighborhood, there is nothing in my relaxing weekend getaway that says view of the post office.

Not sure I want to go quite that far up. LP is a hike if you are going up on a Friday and trying to be home by 4 pm on Sunday. 3 hour drive may be our max which puts us just about at Newport.
Cape May was also interesting and like I said, the suggested hotel really looked great until watching that video. And even if it is a nice friendly neighborhood, there is nothing in my relaxing weekend getaway that says view of the post office.
Plenty of other hotels in Cape May including a few across the street from the beach. Older , newer , historic, plenty of choices.

We had actually considered some parts of that area as a place to set down roots on our next home. One negative- diversity.
But, for a nice beautiful area, it is great. It may not fall into the same exact region but a place we love is Lake Hopatcong
What do you mean by "diversity"? Diversity is open to alot of interpretation.

Reactions: goru1869
We are in lake george, ny now. Lots to do if you like the outdoors. The temperature in the lake is great. You can stay in a busy spot like lake George Town or any of the resorts up to Bolton landing depending on how busy you like it. Most drives are less than 15 minutes. Our resort gives out free paddle boards and kayaks.

That word has a singular definition in our current culture. Lack of diversity can only mean too many white people.
White man bad? you may be right. But all the places being touted are majority white by far. Lake George, Cape May, etc. are whitey whitesvilles. If he is looking for that kind of diversity may I suggest Minneapolis, chicago, San Francisco, Baltimore, or any other democrat controlled hellhole city!

Reactions: BigWill and ashokan
There is a reason it was my first thought. And with that said, anyone that may have been there recently and may have suggestions of places to stay that fit what I am looking for, it would be great.
So hard to go by websites and or reviews.
Newport Marriott, or you can try 1 of the new places, Hammetts or Brenton, as all are within easy walking distance to everything downtown. Viking Hotel could also work or they have a ton of smaller hotels and B&Bs. Hike the cliff walk and drive around Belvue Ave and Ocean to see the insane gilded age mansions and private houses. While your wife may not be into museums, it's pretty cool to hit a tour of the Breakers, Elms and Marble House mansions (marble house was closed a few weeks ago but the other 2 were open; bring headphones/ear buds and download the Newport preservation society app for the audio tour.) Hit Easton's Beach, which is $15 to park and the only beach you can currently use unless you pay for a pricey season's pass at some others. They have a bunch of water activities, like different sailing options, wave runners, parasailing, fishing, but book early, either online, call them or stop by the Wharf when you first arrive. Restaurants should also be booked ahead using open table, Rest, Google, restaurant websites and calling, or you may be waiting a while. They have outdoor seating and some indoor seating now. We liked Black Pearl, The Mooring, 22 Bowen, Diego's, Brick Alley Pub, but there are a ton of other restaurants.

Last edited:
That word has a singular definition in our current culture. Lack of diversity can only mean too many white people.

A neutral definition regardless of any culture would be too much of any one majority, whatever that majority might be.
diversity = plurality (or as close to it as possible, i.e. no majority greater than 50% of the whole)
lack of diversity = homogeneity

With that.....IBTL

Reactions: NotInRHouse
White man bad? you may be right. But all the places being touted are majority white by far. Lake George, Cape May, etc. are whitey whitesvilles. If he is looking for that kind of diversity may I suggest Minneapolis, chicago, San Francisco, Baltimore, or any other democrat controlled hellhole city!

Post-covid, you should try getting out more.

If you don't mind going a little further North then Boston, Salem, Portsmouth, Kittery, Kennebunkport, Oqunquitt, and Portland are also great places.

Why not Bar Harbor Maine as well? Just a handful of hours north of Portland.

OP asked for a 3-4 hr driving radius. Anything north of CT is outside the range.

Why not Bar Harbor Maine as well? Just a handful of hours north of Portland.

OP asked for a 3-4 hr driving radius. Anything north of CT is outside the range.

I missed the 4 hour limit so yes Boston would be the farthest north then.

Second vote for Sussex county. Mineral Springs resort and spa is very nice and reasonable. Absolutely great hiking and scenery. If you need water there are a couple of state parks with really nice lakes with uncrowded beaches. Culinarily not so great but La Tour restaurant next door at Christal Springs Resort and Golf Club is a four star restaurant but a bit pricey

Reactions: Jm0513 and goru1869
ADVERTISEMENT