ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looking for an aggressive Accountant in North Jersey

RCTrooper

All American
Apr 9, 2010
So I had my taxes done last week, and suffice to say, I'm not happy with the number. In previous years, I ran my own business but since the end of '13 I have worked for a firm and am shocked by the lack of write-offs.

Does anyone know of an aggressive personal tax accountant in North Jersey; I'm talking $100 from being audited aggressive?

A guy interview some accountants. He only asks one question during the interview. "How much is 2+2?" He is frustrated by all of the candidates saying 2+2=4. Finally he gets his man. His answer was "How much do you need it to be?"
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by RCTrooper:
So I had my taxes done last week, and suffice to say, I'm not happy with the number. In previous years, I ran my own business but since the end of '13 I have worked for a firm and am shocked by the lack of write-offs.

Does anyone know of an aggressive personal tax accountant in North Jersey; I'm talking $100 from being audited aggressive?
This is a silly request. Mrs4Real is a CPA, audit and tax. Her private clients are informed, right off the bat, that tax law is tax law. Your tax liability is what it is.

You wanna cheat, do your taxes yourself. Nobody willing to stand behind their signature on your return is going to make money magically appear in your mailbox.

Was it H&R Block who did your taxes?

Originally posted by RU4Real:

This is a silly request. Mrs4Real is a CPA, audit and tax. Her private clients are informed, right off the bat, that tax law is tax law. Your tax liability is what it is.

You wanna cheat, do your taxes yourself. Nobody willing to stand behind their signature on your return is going to make money magically appear in your mailbox.
+1. The tax man cometh and you just have to grin and bear it. As long as your accountant is pretty competent, you'll know where you stand as that's probably going to be an accurate assessment of your tax liability. There isn't exactly a bevy of loopholes in the tax law.

There will always be more write-offs when you own your own business. There are all kinds of items that you can write-off of your business income to whittle away at your taxable income.

That's not the case when you are an employee of firm. Just your W-2 and whatever itemized deductions you have. See if you can drum up donations of old clothes or something like. That's easy money stuff.

I went from an $800 return last year to having to pay over $1000 (not sure of the exact number. I'll get the details Friday but IK it's over 1k and could be as much as $2500). Needless to say I'm not very happy. What I don't get is nothing really change from last year other than my wife picking up a P/T bus job over the summer. Taxes were withheld but not at a high enough rate. Sure my mortgage write off went down, but my property taxes went up so that should be a wash. I'm going to quiz my accountant on exactly why there was such a radical swing from '13 to '14.

A larger donation to the Rutgers University Foundation may get you a nice refund next year. Thanks. $$$$

I could be wrong, but aren't you a liberal who used to argue on the current events board? Now, you don't want to pay your fair share?

You're a liberal. Pay your fair share.

This is rich. Libs love taxes...only when it is other peoples money that is being taken.

This reminds me of the line from Schindler's List: "My father was fond of saying you need three things in life. A good doctor, a forgiving priest, and a clever accountant."

+1000

RCTroopwr, no reputable tax accountant will risk his/her career to commit tax evasion on your behalf.

When you rob Peter to pay Paul, Paul never objects. Peter, on the other hand, eventually develops a problem with it.

You want an aggressive accountant and you'll need to sign something that says he made a compilation for tax purposes based upon the information you gave him.
That means he didn't see any proof of your deductions.

Originally posted by mikefla:
wow amazing how many REtPards will string up a fellow RU...remember that in 2016!
Good to see that the Early Bird set is still breathing and able to contribute.

wow amazing how many REtPards will string up a fellow RU...remember that in 2016!
I don't even understand what he meant. Can someone translate?

I wish threads didn't drop off so fast from this website. This should be pinned to the top.

I don't even understand what he meant. Can someone translate?
It means that the board members have been stringing each other up for about 10 years now, and it seems as if Mikefla just realized it. So RUReal figured Mikefla might have been dead since Mike just realized how this board operates, but low and behold Mike has posted and in fact contributed to the board. But that is RUReal's sarcasm because what Mike contributed was known by everyone for 10 years. RUReal posts some complicated sh!t in a few words.

Hasn't the OP represented himself to actually be a LEO on these boards??

Either way, the request is absolutely ludicrous. You give the accountant the numbers, they file the return. No accountant is going to tell you how to cheat on your taxes if you are too dumb to do it for yourself.

I would suggest getting Turbo Tax, Tax Act, or one of the other tax softwares and do it yourself. This way they will guide you with the rules and you can enter in the numbers for write offs as you see fit. You may be able to deduct certain items if you are required to work at home for your job sometimes and they don't reimburse you for those things. Things like a car payment can't be expensed if you don't work for yourself except for non-reimbursed business trips.

Not sure if this is legal but years ago when I worked for a company in NJ and had to go to the NYC office for meetings I would write off the additional costs for traveling to NYC since I was not reimbursed. They viewed the NY region as one office region. To me traveling 20 miles on the highway with no tolls is much different then parking at a train station, taking a train to Newark, and then hopping on the PATH to downtown NY is a big difference to my wallet so I expensed it on my tax returns. You may be able to get away with that. I think it was about a $15-20 difference each day. Doing that 20-30 times a year adds up.

Originally posted by RUfinal4:
You may be able to get away with that. I think it was about a $15-20 difference each day.
You get away with everything unless your audited.

OP, why not start up a side business to once again enjoy what the president calls "loopholes for the rich"?

Originally posted by RUBlueLot:
$100 doesn't get you more than a Q&A with a good accountant for 20 minutes.
I believe he was inferring that he would like an accountant to creatively find enough write offs to get him within $100 of being audited. You know, get as close to the red line a possible without flagging the return as totally fraudulent.

Originally posted by RUJohnny99:

Originally posted by RUfinal4:
You may be able to get away with that. I think it was about a $15-20 difference each day.
You get away with everything unless your audited.

OP, why not start up a side business to once again enjoy what the president calls "loopholes for the rich"?
If I understand the rules for travel to other offices correctly:

Say you work at office A.

If you are told to report to office B one day, the difference in travel costs can not be deducted as an unreimbursed business expense.

But if you report to A, must then travel to B, C, D, etc, then back to A... the travel to B C D are deductible, but not the travel to and from A.

It's amazing how many times you are asked to use your own vehicle to go to another distant location for a brief meeting.

Originally posted by late knight:

I could be wrong, but aren't you a liberal who used to argue on the current events board? Now, you don't want to pay your fair share?
Oh the Irony!

Listen troopy, you voted for the folks who like to raise taxes. Now pay up. Folks need their obamacare. Illegals need their medicare and lower in-state tuition. Electric car subsidies don't pay for themselves. Windmills ain't free. Acorn needs their share. You get the idea.

So was this the birth of a Republican or is this another misunderstanding of cause and effect.

This post was edited on 2/28 6:29 PM by RUScrew85

I understand exactly what he is talking about.there is an enormous difference between a cpa putting themselves in peril and maximizing every single penny from a return and saying he wrote 2 here and 2 here so it must be four.

You could, conceivably, get creative in just something like how much , and how, can I envision for losing 3 large trees in the 2012 hurricane.

Or what 401k income that appears to be taxable is not totally taxable

Anyway , for the op, it was a legitimate question

I would also like to lower my taxes, but I'm 'rich' so must pay the 47%er's way.

Last year the government kicked me right in the nuts. Because I worked for several different offices they deducted at a lower rate than my total gross wouled indicate and I got hit with a 7k bill between the feds an nj.

Thankfully the $12500 in student loan interest I paid last year wasn't deductible...

Originally posted by ho26rus:

I understand exactly what he is talking about.there is an enormous difference between a cpa putting themselves in peril and maximizing every single penny from a return and saying he wrote 2 here and 2 here so it must be four.

You could, conceivably, get creative in just something like how much , and how, can I envision for losing 3 large trees in the 2012 hurricane.

Yeah, no.

Good luck with your audit.

Some thoughts from the left (not that this is a political question, just self-identifying):
The statement that "the tax law is what it is" is largely but not entirely true. If things were black and white the IRS wouldn't be continually issuing clarifying regs. That said, for an individual taxpayer whose primary source of income is W-2 wages, there's not a whole lot of gray.Absolutely nothing wrong with taking aggressive but DEFENSIBLE (emphasis added) tax positions where you can. But again, there's not a lot of gray for most of us.If you want to hire a tax professional to minimize your tax burden, your money is best spent focusing on 2015. Tax planning, like any other kind of planning, works best prospectively rather than retrospectively.There is nothing at all hypocritical about a progressive trying to LEGITIMATELY minimize his personal tax burden. For example, I happen to be among the 2% of Americans (based on the last poll I saw on the subject) who believes that tax rates are too low across the board. I'd like to see a return to the rates of the prosperous Clinton era. When I mention that to people, the inevitable response is "If you want to pay more taxes, go ahead". To which my response is "What, do you think I'm crazy? NOBODY wants to pay more taxes; and I'm certainly not going to be the only chump doing so. But if we ALL did, then in my humble opinion at least, we'd have a better nation."The attitude that I find offensive is "it's all legal unless you're audited". Yeah, I know, it ain't holding unless the ref throws the flag. It ain't speeding unless the radar gun is on. It ain't DWI unless you get pulled over. A dangerous slippery slope.

Originally posted by ho26rus:

no. it was not legit.

if the OP was seriously asking they should be ashamed.

i won't post my license number, as this is a public board, but no.

the OP is either a dumb dumb or a dumb head. that is all.

Originally posted by RUaMoose:

I went from an $800 return last year to having to pay over $1000 (not sure of the exact number. I'll get the details Friday but IK it's over 1k and could be as much as $2500). Needless to say I'm not very happy. What I don't get is nothing really change from last year other than my wife picking up a P/T bus job over the summer. Taxes were withheld but not at a high enough rate. Sure my mortgage write off went down, but my property taxes went up so that should be a wash. I'm going to quiz my accountant on exactly why there was such a radical swing from '13 to '14.
Moose,

having a new part time job where someone works less than or around 15 hours a week can add a lot to the final tax bill......I was a small business owner and it was quite common with me because most of the employees were students/part timers

the federal withholding does not kick in for a lot of the paychecks if the weekly pay is not much.....so someone could work an entire year and have little or no federal withholding, but several thousand dollars earned on their W2 by the end of the year

of course the employee could ask for a certain amount to be withheld each week anyway, if it makes them feel better....but the net result is of course they paid the same tax in the end, just in advance.
This post was edited on 3/1 9:00 AM by wheezer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT