ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looks like we finally have an effective vaccine for malaria...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Thought this was worth a thread. Incredible breakthrough by researchers at Oxford in the UK, the KEMRI Wellcome Trust in Kenya, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Novavax, the Serum Institute of India, and the Institut de Recherche en Sciences de la Sante in Nanoro, Burkina Faso (which has a very high malaria burden). The vaccine was shown to be about 77% effective in preventing malaria infections in infants and toddlers in a medium sized phase III trial in Burkina Faso, which is far more effective than an earlier vaccine. A larger phase III trial begins shortly.

The vaccine utilizes a protein antigen that mimics the protein from the parasite (transmitted by mosquitos) that causes malaria to "trigger" the immune system to be ready to fight the parasite; it also uses the exact same adjuvant (a chemical known to enhance vaccine activity) from Novavax used in their COVID vaccine. Derek Lowe has an excellent blog entry on the new vaccine, including the detailed science involved in the production of the vaccine and how it works, linked below.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/23/great-malaria-vaccine-news

I knew the malaria problem was big, but I had no idea just how big until I just looked it up. As per the World Malaria Report, "there were 229 million cases of malaria in 2019 compared to 228 million cases in 2018. The estimated number of malaria deaths stood at 409 000 in 2019, compared with 411 000 deaths in 2018." Most of these cases are in children. If this can prevent the vast majority of infections and also decrease the severity of infections, it will be an accomplishment on the order of the COVID vaccines, especially given how long malaria has been such a terrible plague.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-...:~:text=Disease burden,411 000 deaths in 2018.

I don’t think I have ever heard of anyone getting malaria. Does anyone still get this in America?

I don’t think I have ever heard of anyone getting malaria. Does anyone still get this in America?
We have a client who does a good amount of work in Cameroon with a palm oil project we unfortunately had an investment in. He and his crew all have gotten malaria. Obviously there though but not here in the US.

Many Americans travel to countries, mostly tropical, where malaria not only still persists but has made a comeback since the numbers of cases dropped dramatically in the early 1960s as a result of a massive WHO program to eradicate the mosquitos. But like most tiny species, evolution occurs quickly in the mosquitoes, and soon resistance to the chemicals used in eradication programs developed.

For a long time, American doctors would prescribe Larium to people about to travel in malaria affected zones. I did that one summer and it was horrible - dreaming while awake, very little sleep for 3 months. After that I decided I would take my chances with malaria than go through that again.

So this news, to get back to the OP, this vaccine is potentially very good news.

Today, in the US, malaria carrying mosquitos are rare but it used to be a huge problem in Florida and, I believe, Louisiana and southern Texas.

Thought this was worth a thread. Incredible breakthrough by researchers at Oxford in the UK, the KEMRI Wellcome Trust in Kenya, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Novavax, the Serum Institute of India, and the Institut de Recherche en Sciences de la Sante in Nanoro, Burkina Faso (which has a very high malaria burden). The vaccine was shown to be about 77% effective in preventing malaria infections in infants and toddlers in a medium sized phase III trial in Burkina Faso, which is far more effective than an earlier vaccine. A larger phase III trial begins shortly.

The vaccine utilizes a protein antigen that mimics the protein from the parasite (transmitted by mosquitos) that causes malaria to "trigger" the immune system to be ready to fight the parasite; it also uses the exact same adjuvant (a chemical known to enhance vaccine activity) from Novavax used in their COVID vaccine. Derek Lowe has an excellent blog entry on the new vaccine, including the detailed science involved in the production of the vaccine and how it works, linked below.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/23/great-malaria-vaccine-news

I knew the malaria problem was big, but I had no idea just how big until I just looked it up. As per the World Malaria Report, "there were 229 million cases of malaria in 2019 compared to 228 million cases in 2018. The estimated number of malaria deaths stood at 409 000 in 2019, compared with 411 000 deaths in 2018." Most of these cases are in children. If this can prevent the vast majority of infections and also decrease the severity of infections, it will be an accomplishment on the order of the COVID vaccines, especially given how long malaria has been such a terrible plague.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/malaria#:~:text=Disease burden,411 000 deaths in 2018.
I wish a malaria vaccine was around many years earlier. I’ve taken the regime of malaria pills dozens of times in the past for trips in South and Central America, Africa, and Asia. You take these huge pills daily several days prior, during and after travel to destinations where malaria is a risk. Not Fun!

Very good question. African lives matter !

You seem like someone who thinks they’re funny but they’re actually not funny. Do you gravitate to other unfunny people and yuck it up over unfunny jokes?

Pro tip: being funny requires cleverness, irony and originality. Piling on to a lame comment with a lamer comment does not meet that minimum standard.

You seem like someone who thinks they’re funny but they’re actually not funny. Do you gravitate to other unfunny people and yuck it up over unfunny jokes?

Pro tip: being funny requires cleverness, irony and originality. Piling on to a lame comment with a lamer comment does not meet that minimum standard.
Thanks for your opinion . Did I hurt your little communist feelings ?

Reactions: Foads
Thanks for your opinion . Did I hurt your little communist feel
Please stop tilting against communist windmills. Most people here aren't ideological rage-oholics. You don't need make everything into a battle in the culture war. You don't actually HAVE to be angry about politics all the time. It's a choice.

Please stop tilting against communist windmills. Most people here aren't ideological rage-oholics. You don't need make everything into a battle in the culture war. You don't actually HAVE to be angry about politics all the time. It's a choice.
Thanks for chiming in . But EVERYTHING is about politics . I made a joke which was 100% accurate and a commie had problems with it.

Malaria was endemic in much of the U.S. until the 20th Century. Even New Jersey had malaria until the 1930's. Window screens played a big role in its demise. But state and county organized and funded mosquito control units were the key. Guess who pioneered that? A Rutgers professor, and his idea was emulated worldwide.

Malaria was endemic in much of the U.S. until the 20th Century. Even New Jersey had malaria until the 1930's. Window screens played a big role in its demise. But state and county organized and funded mosquito control units were the key. Guess who pioneered that? A Rutgers professor, and his idea was emulated worldwide.
Sounds like a big government plot to take away our freedoms.

lol..werent you the same guy who said protesting during a pandemic was NECESSARY AND IMPORTANT

fe48788f8a61a53ccd6e7e90ceb9cf45d4cd1713.gif

Why isn’t Africa in lockdown?

Very good question. African lives matter !

@Richard Schnyderite - exhibit A for how CE board miscreants get perfectly good threads locked or moved to the CE board. It's the main reason we can't have COVID threads or even now, probably, science threads. Perhaps a little moderation would address the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT