ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lou Brock, R.I.P.

Loved watching him as a kid ! 2 greats gone. Bad couple of days for our national pastime.

Last edited:
Rickey Henderson before Rickey Henderson was Rickey Henderson. RIP

Earlier in week I read at 67 All-Star game Brock asked Seaver to get him a coke. Brock did not know who he was, and both die in same week.

Found out about this from his niece Taylor Rooks posting it on Twitter. Another legend. Was always a thorn in the Mets side. R.I.P.
You ain't following Taylor Rooks because she use to cover B1G sports. I know why, it's her looks.🤣

Reactions: shields
As a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's Seaver and Brock were two superstars that you had to love watching play the game the right way.

Reactions: goru1869
Lou was a physical specimen.
He’s one of only a handful of players who hit a home run to dead center at the Polo Grounds.
Directly over the 483 sign.
I think that was the day that Marv Throneberry hit a "triple",but was called out for missing both first and second.Marv was also called for obstruction in the top half of that inning.
The next night,Hank Aaron also hit one into the bleachers,after which Casey held no meetings telling his pitchers to pitch to center field.

I think that was the day that Marv Throneberry hit a "triple",but was called out for missing both first and second.Marv was also called for obstruction in the top half of that inning.
The next night,Hank Aaron also hit one into the bleachers,after which Casey held no meetings telling his pitchers to pitch to center field.
You’ve gotta at least touch first so you get credit for a base hit.

Reactions: RutgersMO
He’s one of only a handful of players who hit a home run to dead center at the Polo Grounds.

I was just thinking about a ball that Brock to Right center field...some 460+ feet for a HR.

Truly amazing.

I've been a Cardinal fan since 1958 (Boyer. Musial). By the early 60's i was able to listen to KMOX on a radio in our kitchen in Bloomfield NJ: after dark- Skipping radio frequencies. IN 1963 heard Harry Caray announcing for the Cards when Dick Nen hit a pinch HR to virtually ice if fo rthe Dodgers.

The next year the Cards were mired in the pack...and then they traded for some unknown outfielder named Brock. This was the year that the Phillies with Dick Allen gave up a 10 game lead quicker than 💩 thru a goose (Cards won the pennant by +1 game).He was en fuego🐣 before ESPN existed. He became my favorite Cardinal, along with Boyer, Gibby & White. As time went on Brock got better. In 1967 the Cards kept Boston at bay and Brock went nuts on the bases (7 sb's). In 1968 Gibson pitched the Cards to the pennant along with Cepeda, Brock ....and we lost to the Tigers in7 with Brock hitting 464 and stealing another 7 sb's.

He will be missed and remembered.

RIP Lou!

MO
PS The Cards should have paid me to get a Ph.D. They won the WS the year I was born (46). They won the WS the year I graduated HS (64).Cards won the WS the start of my senior year at RU / lost (still can't believe it after Gibby won game 1 with 17 KO's) in 1968 : when I was a graduate assistant. They won the WS the year I finally graduated with a Masters (1982...different subject...long story)....and won again in 2011 (the year my youngest got Bas Mitzvah'd).

Last edited:
Can’t believe Lou passed too!
Huge Tom Seaver fan so I was always scared of his speed!!

Absolute legend. Fastest man in heaven perhaps now. Sad.

I was just thinking about a ball that Brock to Right center field...some 460+ feet for a HR.

Truly amazing.

I've been a Cardinal fan since 1958 (Boyer. Musial). By the early 60's i was able to listen om KMOX on a radio in our kitchen in Bloomfield NJ: after dark- Skipping radio frequencies. IN 1963 heard Harry Caray announcing for the Cards when Dick Nen hit a pinch HR to virtually ice if fo rthe Dodgers.

The next year the Cards were mired in the pack...and then they traded for some unknown outfielder named Brock. This was the year that the Phillies with Dick Allen gave up a 10 game lead quicker than 💩 thru a goose (Cards won the pennant by +1 game).He was en fuego🐣 before ESPN existed. He became my favorite Cardinal, along with Boyer, Gibby & White. As time went on Brock got better. In 1967 the Cards kept Boston at bay and Brock went nuts on the bases (7 sb's). In 1968 Gibson pitched the Cards to the pennant along with Cepeda, Brock ....and we lost to the Tigers in7 with Brock hitting 464 and stealing another 7 sb's.

He will be missed and remembered.

RIP Lou!

MO
PS The Cards should have paid me to get a Ph.D. They won the WS the year I was born (46). They won the WS the year I graduated HS (65). Cards won the WS the start of my senior year at RU / lost (still can't believe it after Gibby won game 1 with 17 KO's) in 1968 : when I was a graduate assistant. They won the WS the year I finally graduated with a Masters (1982...different subject...long story)....and won again in 2011 (the year my youngest got Bas Mitzvah'd).
The Phillies' largest lead over the Cards was 8.5 on Sept.5th with 27 games to go.It was 6.5 with only 2 weeks to go.Gene Mauch blew it by pitching Bunning and Short three times on 2 days rest.

RutgersMO has a few years on me it looks like. I became a Cardinals fan in '73 when we moved to University City MO when I was in kindergarden and my parents starting taking the family to Cards games. Bob Gibson on the mound, Joe Torre at first and Brock roaming the outfield.

We were in the stands the night before Brock broke the stolen base record. I was hoping he'd get it the night we went but he didn't get any.

Then after we moved to Texas we went to a couple games at the Astrodome and I was waiting around after the games for autographs - got Ted Simmons, Gary Templeton and most of the rest of the team in '77 & '78 but Brock was more elusive after games than he was on the bases. He finally came out of the locker room after everyone else had gotten on the bus and was speed-walking his way to the bus. I was hot on his heels (at 11 years old) and followed him onto the bus - well - only onto the first step. But he went to the back and I went home without the autograph.

When we moved to Jersey in '83 I could get games at night on KMOX but it was near a contemprory jazz station on the dial and the awful symbol beat they play bled through into the KMOX broadcast. "McGee steps up to the plate and... ka-chss chss, ka-chass chss, ka-chss chss..." it was awful but I'd sit there straining to hear every pitch through the jazz beat. lol

I did get Ozzie's autograph at a Phillies game in '86 or '87 and then met him a few years ago at a Nike event at the Nike HQ.

My first LL team I played for was the J.B. Grand 5 & 10 Cardinals. In 1968 (prior to the Padres existence) I was a Cardinal fan. In 1969 I was playing first base on my 7th and 8th grade school team. I read somewhere that Orlando Cepeda had painted a baseball red and white to warm up the infielders at the start of each inning.
I went out and got a baseball and painted it red and white.

Last edited:
The Phillies' largest lead over the Cards was 8.5 on Sept.5th with 27 games to go.It was 6.5 with only 2 weeks to go.Gene Mauch blew it by pitching Bunning and Short three times on 2 days rest.
It truly is amazing how little managers and pitching coaches paid attention to full rest back in the day.
There’s some easy logic to apply, ask Gene Mauch if he was going to bet his life savings on a game Bunning pitched, would you make the wager on a game he had full rest or little rest?

RIP Met-killer.. Brock and Flood (who died in 1997)

As for Bunning's short-rest thing.. Mauch had to be trying desperately to get that pennant and should have been more patient and avoided that short-rest thing.

One of two I believe. Joe Adcock being the other. You need binoculars to see the damned stands. Great ballplayer to say the least.
Zappa did your Dad ever comment on center in the Polo Grounds? He probably didn't play there much, but must have in the '51 four game Series vs the Giants.

Last edited:
You ain't following Taylor Rooks because she use to cover B1G sports. I know why, it's her looks.🤣
She does have some nice content but her being so fine doesnt hurt. Joy Taylior, Ros Gold Uwude, Maria Taylor, I love some sexy sistas that work in sports. And thevthing is they know their sports cause they're more or less all former athletes themselves. There are others im forgettting also.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug

Post was from memory.

I did remember the #10...but after review that turned out to be the Phillies losing streak of 10 consecutive games near the end of the season.

MO

From a 2014 article. Cubs traded away one of the greatest players.

Some have suggested that the Cubs’ bias against black players continued after the 1950s. The team’s longtime African-American scout, the late Buck O’Neil, signed most of the team’s black players through the early 1960s. Many of them were soon traded.

“There was an unwritten quota system” in baseball, O’Neil wrote in a 2002 essay in Baseball as America, a book published for the National Baseball Hall of Fame. “They didn’t want but so many black kids on a major league ballclub.”

O’Neil was a Cubs coach in 1964 when the team had five black players. One of them was a young outfielder named Lou Brock. When O’Neil heard that general manager John Holland was planning to trade Brock, he advised him not to. “I don’t think we’ll have our best ballclub on the field,” he told Holland. O’Neil wrote in his essay that Holland then “started pulling out letters and notes from people, season ticket holders, saying that their grandfather had season tickets here at Wrigley Field, or their grandmother . . . and their families had come here for years. And do you know what these letters went on to say? ‘What are you trying to make the Chicago Cubs into? The Kansas City Monarchs?’”

The Cubs traded Brock to Saint Louis that summer for a sore-armed white pitcher, Ernie Broglio. It’s regarded as one of the worst trades in baseball history. Brock helped the Cardinals win the World Series that year, and went on to set many base-stealing records and total more than 3,000 hits on his way to the Hall of Fame. Broglio won seven games for the Cubs before his bum arm forced him to retire in 1966.

Banks told me he recalled the club trading away many young black players. “They were with us two years, and then we’d trade them, I don’t know why. Maybe they just wanted more, uh, veteran players.

Lou, you can't throw that out and just leave us hanging! How did they do against each other?
No batter faced Seaver more during his 20-year career than Brock did, and no pitcher faced Brock more during his 19-year career than Seaver did. The two faced off 157 times, with Brock going 38-for-152 (.250) with 10 doubles, two triples and a home run. Seaver struck out Brock 21 times and walked him four times.

Lou, you can't throw that out and just leave us hanging! How did they do against each other?

Brock went 38 for 152 for a .250 average. 10 doubles, 2 triples and a home run. Seaver struck Brock out 21 times and walked him 4 times.

Reactions: colbert17
Brock went 38 for 152 for a .250 average. 10 doubles, 2 triples and a home run. Seaver struck Brock out 21 times and walked him 4 times.

Inexplicably one of the toughest guys for Seaver was the Phil's Tommy Hutton who hit .320 against Tom Terrific.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT