ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major New Jersey Heatwave Discussion And Observation Thread

all I know is when growing up my house . relatives houses and friends houses didn't have AC .
Hot days windows open hoping for a breeze .
Played and worked summers and was used to the heat .
Now I don't think I could live like that after years of AC cooling me down in the cars and trucks I drove along with central air in houses I lived in over the years.
In Arizona during the early 70s didn't have AC in my house, but a swamp cooler took the edge off but still heat was felt during the day. Hottest months just was a warm breeze hitting you but uncomfortable .
Now in hot months don't think a swamp cooler would be of use.
Now , at my age, AC a must when heat doing its worst and health might be in jeopardy if I had to go without an AC to cool me off and have to put up with the heat like if I was homeless and subject to the elements.
I found this when looking for deaths caused by the heat.
Heat was a contributing factor in 1,577 U.S. deaths in 2021, according to provisional data. That's a 56% jump from 1,012 in 2018. Heat-related deaths are most common in Nevada and Arizona.( posted Jun 6, 2022)

Not too bad in Flanders yet this summer. A little warm today, but not bad. Still waiting for summer to begin. Have not even broke a sweat this summer, even playing baseball with my son during many afternoons on a ball field at Turkey Brook Park.
I read Flanders thinking the Flemish (Dutch) region in Belgium which is missing the heat in Europe being on the North Sea 🤣

Reactions: goru1869
Not too bad in Flanders yet this summer. A little warm today, but not bad. Still waiting for summer to begin. Have not even broke a sweat this summer, even playing baseball with my son during many afternoons on a ball field at Turkey Brook Park.

Sounds like you need to move around more, old school 😋

As per my post in the deleted thread, as far as I know, Hillsborough was the only station in CNJ/NNJ/SENY that hit 90F 7 days in a row through yesterday. Newark, NYC, Morristown, Somerville, New Brunswick, Trenton, Hopewell, Clinton, Howell, etc. did not and most of those locations missed 2-3 days. Doesn't mean it hasn't been warm/hot, but just not formal "heat wave" hot, which is usually defined as at least 3 consecutive days of at least 90F highs - which to me is kind of silly, as average high temps in this area in most of July and the first half of August are in the 85-86F range, so 90F is barely 4-5F above average.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/weatherstory

https://www.njweather.org/data/daily

But yes, the next week or so is going to be hot to brutal with Thursday through Sunday being the hottest days with upper 90s likely (and maybe even 100F in some spots). Not quite as anomalous as the heat wave in Europe, where almost every country has been setting all-time high temps in numerous cities, including today's hottest ever temp recorded in the UK of 102.4F (101.7F was the old record). It's going to make my daily disc golf rounds pretty hot - will likely play before 10 am to avoid the worst of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...7/18/heatwave-europe-unitedstates-records-uk/

Hopewell had a 3 day heatwave. I think Somerville did

Tale of two Arizona areas

Phoenix
Elevation: 1,086′
Weather: 108°F (42°C), Wind W at 16 mph (26 km/h), 20% Humidity weather.com
Local time: Tuesday 5:45 PM

Sedona
Elevation: 4,350′
Weather: 92°F (33°C), Wind W at 13 mph (21 km/h), 29% Humidity weather.com
Local time: Tuesday 5:45 PM

Looking to put the wool on soon and do some reenacting. Still cool enough. Marching a few miles with a musket, a backpack, canteen, cartridge box. Now that is moving.

Don't try to tell us you didn't sweat after that!

Because i work in the heat so often and very used to sweating I really dislike going into stores and convenience stores that are kept way too cold.

I still prefer open windows to AC while driving

What does everyone keep their air on?

I am never below 76 and sometimes keep it at 78. I know im an anomoly here. Heard some wives demand 69 or else!

Don't try to tell us you didn't sweat after that!
Well, it depends on the time of year. In October at Cedar Creek, Viginia, no. In July at Gettysburg, sometimes. In August at Cedar Mountain, Virginia, probably.

Because i work in the heat so often and very used to sweating I really dislike going into stores and convenience stores that are kept way too cold.

I am never below 76 and sometimes keep it at 78. I know im an anomoly here. Heard some wives demand 69 or else!
75 at home. I figure if it is 75 outside and I am comfortable, 75 inside is also good. My wife and son agree.

LOL. You need to quit that summer job. Just tutor.
It's my last summer. The kids aren't going there this year so there's no reason to work there anymore. Plus, it's pretty much misery with the new ownership and the way the campers act now after the COVID year.

Reactions: T2Kplus20

Can't sleep if it's over 72.

71 or 70 is better yet.

73 because the wife's office is on the 2nd floor with southern exposure. And my MIL. I'd be happy setting it at 75.

Reactions: goru1869
The water is still pretty chilly down here and been below 70 all summer. It couldn’t have been more than 80 degrees on the beach today add in the breeze it felt a bit chilly this evening
Water temperature in the Manasquan River was 82 this past weekend. I have to have the ocean in the mid to upper 70s. I'll go in September.

Wife loves the ac at night - so cold she puts blankets on to keep warm. I move into spare bedroom which still has window ac unit sitting on floor waiting to get installed. (Yes I know I’m wierd)

Reactions: Jm0513
Ocean was definitely warmer this past weekend. West wind cooled it off today, but great waves. Wind was strong enough to keep the flies away.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Curious... do you think the heat baked the ground dry so the recent rain mostly ran off causing flooding.. or can the ground only absorb so much in such a short time despite it being "thirsty"?

(good responses below.. thanks. In the winter there a time when the ground if frozen and cannot absorb a heavy rain (or lots of fast melt of ice and snow).. was wondering if it happens with heat and very dry ground as well)
Think it's more a function of the soil type and grading. At my parents home in hazlet it could rain nonstop and never flood with their sandy soil. Any soil that's predominantly clay will flood no matter what the conditions as the clay will fairly quickly swell and become impenetrable with even small amounts of water. If it's graded properly it'll mostly run off.

73 day, 68 nights

The Shining GIF

73 for bedtime, 75-76 during the day.

As women get older we get night sweats.
It feels like a fireplace in our bodies
and then it disappears…
I like it cold. The dog shakes and the kid complains.
That’s what fur and blankets are for though.
It feels like Antarctica here.
I love it.

FYI… be careful when walking your dogs and the extremely hot ground.
Don’t “They’re just animals” me either. It’s very hot for them and can burn their pads.

Catholic school I’m guessing. When it got real hot the nuns would let us get a drink or wet our faces with those brown paper towels that smelled like wet cardboard

Nope. Willingboro public school system.

Wet cardboard paper towels <---- Yuck.

Water temperature in the Manasquan River was 82 this past weekend. I have to have the ocean in the mid to upper 70s. I'll go in September.
I would think we'd see ocean water temps in the mid-70s within a week, given the extended heat wave. For me, if it's hot on the beach, anything over 65F is enough for swimming, but if it's not hot, I like it over 70F. My sister, who has lived in FL for much of her adult life, needs it to be at least 80F, which I always thought was nuts.

and then it disappears…
I love it.

Don’t “They’re just animals” me either. It’s very hot for them and can burn their pads.

True, especially when it's all black top.

My dog just plops down from one shadow to the next in this type of heat. Gotta wait until dusk to walk her.

• Sad
Reactions: Jm0513
and then it disappears…
I love it.

My wife likes it around 70-71F year round, meaning there are plenty of spring/fall days where the heat is on in the morning, followed by AC in the late afternoon/evening. I would have it around 65F in the winter and 75F in the summer, but I lost that battle years ago, lol.

I would think we'd see ocean water temps in the mid-70s within a week, given the extended heat wave. For me, if it's hot on the beach, anything over 65F is enough for swimming, but if it's not hot, I like it over 70F. My sister, who has lived in FL for much of her adult life, needs it to be at least 80F, which I always thought was nuts.
We’ve had about 1 day so far over 70. So many windy days means upwelling Mid July and I’ve been in the water once. Highly unusual

Reactions: m1ipabrams
We’ve had about 1 day so far over 70. So many windy days means upwelling Mid July and I’ve been in the water once. Highly unusual
I'm not down the Shore, so hard for me to verify the reported numbers, but according to the NWS ocean temps are in the mid/upper 70s almost everywhere along the Jersey Shore (although I did see a report of 71F at OCNJ, so maybe some local issue there).

i1fdOCj.png

ADVERTISEMENT