ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major New Jersey Heatwave Discussion And Observation Thread

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
KEEP YOUR POLITICS OUT PLEASE

Depending on where you are located you are either starting or in the midst of NJ's first widespread heatwave. We will see sunny and hot conditions through Sunday with our hope for change coming Monday with a front approaching the area could set off thunderstorms but temps still are likely to exceed 90 in most locales. A heatwave is defined as or more consecutive days of 90 or above temperature. Newark already had their first heatwave a couple weeks ago while almost everyone missed out.

I am currently on my 8th day of the heatwave using Hillsborough-Duke temperature data.

7/12: 94
7/13: 93
7/14: 91
7/15: 91
7/16: 92
7/17: 90
7/18: 97
7/19: 94

Likely to tack on as many as 6 more and could be even more but we will have to see about next Tuesday. This is certainly a long duration heatwave for everyone who will see it for at least 7 days. Currently I have logged in 16 days above 90 in my area. After a slow start we are really catching up

Also it is extremely dry, most of the central jersey missed much rainfall yesterday and in previous busted forecasts for rain over the past month. Hopefully Monday brings us a chance

The forecast for tomorrow.....more of the same....HOT

Wednesday will see highs in the mid 90s

Thursday will be even hotter with highs in the mid to upper 90s and someone could hit 100

Friday may see a slight dip in temp and humidity to the mid 90s

Saturday and Sunday the ovens turn back on. Both days will see temperatures approaching 100 and hopefully we get the sea breezes at the beaches

My predictions for highs

Wednesday: 96
Thursday: 98
Friday: 95
Saturday: 100
Sunday: 99
Monday: 93

You got to 97 yesterday? In Bergen we didn't break 85. though the humidity was beyond oppressive and there was flooding.

Don't think we hit 90+ on Sunday either

Reactions: RUDiddy777
You got to 97 yesterday? In Bergen we didn't break 85. though the humidity was beyond oppressive and there was flooding.

we have had almost no rain in these parts for three weeks to a month, yesterday alot of sun while storms fired to the north, even last night while Belle Mead got a small shower that gave us a paltry tenth of inch about, Hillsborough just got a few drops for a couple of minutes.

We got 3-4 inches of rain yesterday in Bergen. Outside of a 15 minute shower a week and a half ago, this was the first significant rain in quite some time.

Been in the low 90's today. Feels hot but not too bad (around 41% humidity).

We got 3-4 inches of rain yesterday in Bergen. Outside of a 15 minute shower a week and a half ago, this was the first significant rain in quite some time.

Curious... do you think the heat baked the ground dry so the recent rain mostly ran off causing flooding.. or can the ground only absorb so much in such a short time despite it being "thirsty"?

(good responses below.. thanks. In the winter there a time when the ground if frozen and cannot absorb a heavy rain (or lots of fast melt of ice and snow).. was wondering if it happens with heat and very dry ground as well)

Last edited:
Curious... do you think the heat baked the ground dry so the recent rain mostly ran off causing flooding.. or can the ground only absorb so much in such a short time despite it being "thirsty"?

No. 3-4 inches but it came in 3 or 4 downpours where there was an inch in 10-15 minutes. To fast for the creeks and rivers and roadways to handle.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Martha says:

Same here in Passaic - it was cool and stormy most of the day.

No. 3-4 inches but it came in 3 or 4 downpours where there was an inch in 10-15 minutes. To fast for the creeks and rivers and roadways to handle.
I agree with mdk. At least by my house I had never seen ponding of water in spots. I had 2 large ponds yesterday on and off. It came down fast but the lawn absorbed it pretty quickly.

Most of the real flooding was in the normal places like under the rail station on Rt 4 in Fairlawn. That flooded ⅓ up the steps to the platform. Every storm like yesterday the news knows you get good pictures there.

Agree- today didn’t feel too bad. I think we’ll really start feeling the heat over the next couple of days. I walk the dog extra early when it’s like this.

Down the shore everything is all right.

It's actually humid and slightly uncomfortable, but not unbearable.
It’s always tolerable there during heat waves. But even during a bad heat wave I find that you still need to get out early even at the shore. I was down there last year at the end of June, early July and it was brutal by midday.

I did my normal yoga workout at the pool this afternoon (92 degrees), and am planning on doing it all week. We shall see...

Reactions: Jm0513

It’s always tolerable there during heat waves. But even during a bad heat wave I find that you still need to get out early even at the shore. I was down there last year at the end of June, early July and it was brutal by midday.
Still on the beach in Spring Lake at 6:30.

West HOT wind most of time I’ve been here (since around 3:30). But surprisingly no flies. Usually happens with the west wind.

Waves are big but the ocean is colder than the past few days.

Reactions: RUPete
Everyone in NJ however has fans and ac. I just left London which had 100+ today and has little of either.
Was in Ireland during their 2018 heatwave. Bigger hotels had the A/C but not so much the smaller ones.

And no screens in the windows as the bugs are not an issue.

I work at a summer camp every year and the last few weeks are really taking a toll on the kids and staff. Lots of grumbling about the heat, lots of extra swim time. When it's 90-95+, being outside all day sure gets old.

Lived in Lavallette and didn't have air conditioning, didn't need it. Can count on one hand the times is was too hot at night. Midnight fishing or hanging in the back yard. The movie Jaws ended many years of swimming at night off Ortley Ave.

Last edited:
I work at a summer camp every year and the last few weeks are really taking a toll on the kids and staff. Lots of grumbling about the heat, lots of extra swim time. When it's 90-95+, being outside all day sure gets old.
LOL. You need to quit that summer job. Just tutor.

I think it was a lot different growing up in my day where AC was rare. Certainly not in schools, cars or the entire house. The positive was you body has the ability to adjust. However, now you go from a climate controlled house to a climate controlled car or bus, to a climate controlled school or workspace. Body doesn't adjust. So 90 seems tough. Trick is to get out of the sun on hot days outside. I'm sitting in the backyard right now. A little breeze. Kind of nice out.

I think it was a lot different growing up in my day where AC was rare. Certainly not in schools, cars or the entire house. The positive was you body has the ability to adjust. However, now you go from a climate controlled house to a climate controlled car or bus, to a climate controlled school or workspace. Body doesn't adjust. So 90 seems tough. Trick is to get out of the sun on hot days outside. I'm sitting in the backyard right now. A little breeze. Kind of nice out.
I remember plenty of 90+ degree days during elementary school in September. No AC in schools back then. Just opened the windows and got through. Sucked, but no point in whining.

Agreed. Even with these temps, I still really enjoy my backyard at this time of night. The blazing sun is off the patio and you get a breeze.

Reactions: WhiteBus

It was HOT! I was doing a job in Avon could see the ocean and it was still HOT! If you were doing work in the sun it was unbearable by 12pm. If you were riding your bike or taking a stroll on the boardwalk sure it was bearable.

KEEP YOUR POLITICS OUT PLEASE

Depending on where you are located you are either starting or in the midst of NJ's first widespread heatwave. We will see sunny and hot conditions through Sunday with our hope for change coming Monday with a front approaching the area could set off thunderstorms but temps still are likely to exceed 90 in most locales. A heatwave is defined as or more consecutive days of 90 or above temperature. Newark already had their first heatwave a couple weeks ago while almost everyone missed out.

I am currently on my 8th day of the heatwave using Hillsborough-Duke temperature data.

7/12: 94
7/13: 93
7/14: 91
7/15: 91
7/16: 92
7/17: 90
7/18: 97
7/19: 94

Likely to tack on as many as 6 more and could be even more but we will have to see about next Tuesday. This is certainly a long duration heatwave for everyone who will see it for at least 7 days. Currently I have logged in 16 days above 90 in my area. After a slow start we are really catching up

Also it is extremely dry, most of the central jersey missed much rainfall yesterday and in previous busted forecasts for rain over the past month. Hopefully Monday brings us a chance

The forecast for tomorrow.....more of the same....HOT

Wednesday will see highs in the mid 90s

Thursday will be even hotter with highs in the mid to upper 90s and someone could hit 100

Friday may see a slight dip in temp and humidity to the mid 90s

Saturday and Sunday the ovens turn back on. Both days will see temperatures approaching 100 and hopefully we get the sea breezes at the beaches

My predictions for highs

Wednesday: 96
Thursday: 98
Friday: 95
Saturday: 100
Sunday: 99
Monday: 93
Smokey Says: "Remember, only YOU can prevent forest fires!"

As per my post in the deleted thread, as far as I know, Hillsborough was the only station in CNJ/NNJ/SENY that hit 90F 7 days in a row through yesterday. Newark, NYC, Morristown, Somerville, New Brunswick, Trenton, Hopewell, Clinton, Howell, etc. did not and most of those locations missed 2-3 days. Doesn't mean it hasn't been warm/hot, but just not formal "heat wave" hot, which is usually defined as at least 3 consecutive days of at least 90F highs - which to me is kind of silly, as average high temps in this area in most of July and the first half of August are in the 85-86F range, so 90F is barely 4-5F above average.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/weatherstory

https://www.njweather.org/data/daily

But yes, the next week or so is going to be hot to brutal with Thursday through Sunday being the hottest days with upper 90s likely (and maybe even 100F in some spots). Not quite as anomalous as the heat wave in Europe, where almost every country has been setting all-time high temps in numerous cities, including today's hottest ever temp recorded in the UK of 102.4F (101.7F was the old record). It's going to make my daily disc golf rounds pretty hot - will likely play before 10 am to avoid the worst of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...7/18/heatwave-europe-unitedstates-records-uk/

Was in Ireland during their 2018 heatwave. Bigger hotels had the A/C but not so much the smaller ones.

And no screens in the windows as the bugs are not an issue.
You would think a major museum would be very climate controlled but the British Museum actually closed rooms last week because of the heat. Some restaurants have it, the subway trains have it but most places, especially little shops and restaurants, don't even have fans.

Yep, no AC unti we got a window unit when I was 16 and no AC in school. I remember spending quite a few hot summer nights in the upstairs hallway outside my bedroom underneath the attic fan so there was at least a breeze. But when you don't know differently, it doesn't seem as bad, IMO.

That's why we go in September, lol, as all of us dislike the heat in our family...

Reactions: RUPete
It also he
Yep, no AC unti we got a window unit when I was 16 and no AC in school. I remember spending quite a few hot summer nights in the upstairs hallway outside my bedroom underneath the attic fan so there was at least a breeze. But when you don't know differently, it doesn't seem as bad, IMO.
It also helps to be young and thin

Reactions: runrutgersrun
As per my post in the deleted thread, as far as I know, Hillsborough was the only station in CNJ/NNJ/SENY that hit 90F 7 days in a row through yesterday. Newark, NYC, Morristown, Somerville, New Brunswick, Trenton, Hopewell, Clinton, Howell, etc. did not and most of those locations missed 2-3 days. Doesn't mean it hasn't been warm/hot, but just not formal "heat wave" hot, which is usually defined as at least 3 consecutive days of at least 90F highs - which to me is kind of silly, as average high temps in this area in most of July and the first half of August are in the 85-86F range, so 90F is barely 4-5F above average.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/weatherstory

https://www.njweather.org/data/daily

But yes, the next week or so is going to be hot to brutal with Thursday through Sunday being the hottest days with upper 90s likely (and maybe even 100F in some spots). Not quite as anomalous as the heat wave in Europe, where almost every country has been setting all-time high temps in numerous cities, including today's hottest ever temp recorded in the UK of 102.4F (101.7F was the old record). It's going to make my daily disc golf rounds pretty hot - will likely play before 10 am to avoid the worst of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...7/18/heatwave-europe-unitedstates-records-uk/
And to help people confused about the high temperatures discussion in Europe. These aren't highs for that July 18th in history, like every local TV station brings up all the f-ing time. These are all times high for any date EVER! The hottest temperature recorded on any day in the history of keeping weather statistics.

Last edited:
Not too bad in Flanders yet this summer. A little warm today, but not bad. Still waiting for summer to begin. Have not even broke a sweat this summer, even playing baseball with my son during many afternoons on a ball field at Turkey Brook Park.

ADVERTISEMENT