ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major New Jersey Heatwave Discussion And Observation Thread

Yesterday's water temp was not just cold, it was damn cold. We were at the beach in the late afternoon thru early evening. Definitely needed the heated pool around dinner time. Wasn't like that for a week or so. Today seems much more normal (not sure of the water temp yet).
59 degrees in Ocean City this morning.

Nice explanation for the recent cold sea surface temps at the beach in parts of NJ, especially in the AC area, where it's 60F right now - while it's 74F in Cape May, 77F on LBI, and 80F in Sandy Hook. SW winds lead to pushing the shallow warm surface layer out to sea and that water is replaced by colder water from below, i.e., upwelling.

https://www.nj.com/weather/2022/08/...-water-temps-been-shockingly-cold-lately.html

Reactions: rurichdog
Up in Nantasket Beach in Mass
Water is freezing

Sidenote, I was under the impression that this was similar to Sea Girt or Spring Lake.

However, it appears to be more similar to Belmar or point Pleasant

I can confirm that it is still HOT AF.

Hopefully it looks like the heatwave will end this week and the temps will slowing start trending down.

Absolutely brutal today. We moved from a job in Wall thinking it'd be cooler by the beach to our job in Belmar but no dice. Closed up shop by 12:30pm.

Avon by the Sea, has been very consistent temp wise and absolutely clear water most of the summer. We have season passes every year and go at least 3 times a week. The only time we witnessed dirty cloudy water was 2 weeks ago when the dredger boat was spending all day everyday clearing in inlet between Avon and Belmar. Stirring up the sediment of crabs and just plain murky water. Haven't seen much evidence of jelly fish yet so I'm sure their coming.

Reactions: newell138
Was in Asbury Park yesterday and it was 100F during our whole ride down from Metuchen to there (from about 3 to 4 pm), even to within 1 block of the beach where we parked, as the SW wind kept any cool air away from land. It was interesting, though, that the temp probably dropped about 5F on the boardwalk and dropped another~ 10F by the time one got to the water's edge, where the air was nice. Had a nice dinner at Robinson's Ale House on the boardwalk with friends - inside, lol, as it was still 90F+ by 6 pm in their outdoor seating area on the boardwalk. HAB.

Looking like everyone along and north of 78 will stay under 90F today (as most in that area are under 85F right now), as will most folks between 78 and 195, although we'll likely see at least some 90F readings towards 195 and south of there - it's 90F in Philly and Mt. Holly right now.

Reactions: Postman_1
Heading up to OC for a day trip in 30 mins. Boardwalk, rides, mini-golf, and then Piccini before heading back to SH.
if you like Piccini's try Marios on Bay Ave, around 15th st. New owners since last year, and I have to say its pretty good. If you are going for just pizza there is a new place on 10th and Asbury that is also very good, Chelsea Pizza

Reactions: T2Kplus20
if you like Piccini's try Marios on Bay Ave, around 15th st. New owners since last year, and I have to say its pretty good. If you are going for just pizza there is a new place on 10th and Asbury that is also very good, Chelsea Pizza
Angelo's on the boardwalk at 14th St. (new owners after 40+ years, but one of the old owners is now just working there cooking) is still my favorite for both pizza and cheesesteaks in OCNJ. Piccini's is good, though. Will have to try Mario's.

It did hit 90F in NB, but it's still only 89F in Hillsborough - I'm sure bac is at the weather station right now breathing on the sensor, lol...

• Haha
Reactions: rurichdog
Angelo's on the boardwalk at 14th St. (new owners after 40+ years, but one of the old owners is now just working there cooking) is still my favorite for both pizza and cheesesteaks in OCNJ. Piccini's is good, though. Will have to try Mario's.

For me the best pizza on the boardwalk is Primavera. More NY style than that crap they serve at Mancos

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Dog Days of August.. it is expected, right?

Still hoping you guys get some September weather a couple weeks early.. for the football team... and not that "Indian Summer" stuff.. an early fall "snap" where you walk outside sand say, I smell Autumn.. and the dogs throw their noses in the air and heartily agree. Heck.. I'd love you guys to smell a neighbors fireplace some night before August ends.

Heavy rains this morning in the Philly area. Will this be the day we don't hit 90 degrees? The weekend looks fantastic. Low 60s in the morning!! No humidity!!

Reactions: Jm0513
Looking like everyone along and north of 78 will stay under 90F today (as most in that area are under 85F right now), as will most folks between 78 and 195, although we'll likely see at least some 90F readings towards 195 and south of there - it's 90F in Philly and Mt. Holly right now.
Pretty close to this yesterday, as nobody along/N of 78 hit 90F and only 3 locations in NJ's weather network north of 195 hit 90F and just barely (Hillsborough, NB and Hopewell all hit 90F). Lots of locations at or above 90F south of 195/276 in NJ/PA.

Similar temps today with most locations under 90F and with less humidity and then we finally get a Canadian airmass in here for Friday through at least Monday with highs in the low to mid 80s and comfortable humidity levels, although we could use rain more than warm and dry. It's quite possible we've seen our last heat wave of the summer (temps at or above 90F for 3 straight days), looking at the long range forecasts, as temps don't look to approach 90F through at least the end of next week. And climatologically, temps start dropping off in late August, so temps above 90F are less likely.

https://www.njweather.org/data/sub/1/day

Reactions: newell138
Pretty close to this yesterday, as nobody along/N of 78 hit 90F and only 3 locations in NJ's weather network north of 195 hit 90F and just barely (Hillsborough, NB and Hopewell all hit 90F). Lots of locations at or above 90F south of 195/276 in NJ/PA.

Similar temps today with most locations under 90F and with less humidity and then we finally get a Canadian airmass in here for Friday through at least Monday with highs in the low to mid 80s and comfortable humidity levels, although we could use rain more than warm and dry. It's quite possible we've seen our last heat wave of the summer(temps at or above 90F for 3 straight days), looking at the long range forecasts, as temps don't look to approach 90F through at least the end of next week. And climatologically, temps start dropping off in late August, so temps above 90F are less likely.

https://www.njweather.org/data/sub/1/day
Odd temperature profile today with only the 95 corridor seeing 90-91F temps, while just about everywhere NW of 95 and, surprisingly, SE of 95, was below 90F. Much more comfortable today, though - ate lunch outside in Rahway and it was very nice and my round of disc golf at Allaire was much less brutal that many recent days.

Can't wait for the next several days of beautiful weather and hopefully we can get some rain early next week (some models are showing decent rains).

https://www.njweather.org/data/daily

ADVERTISEMENT