ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major Nor'easter for our region Thursday into Friday (12/16/22) - looks mostly wet for most of us

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Have been discussing this storm a bit in the weather pattern thread, but since it's absolutely certain we're going to be hit with a major nor'easter on Thursday into Friday, figured it was time for a new thread on this. This is still looking like a very powerful system (1-1.5" of liquid precip falling) to impact our area Thursday (especially Thursday afternoon/night) into Friday morning, but the models are almost all showing little to no snow along and SE of the 95 corridor, i.e., probably all rain. However, most of the models are showing a fairly sharp temperature and precip gradient as one moves NW of 95 (especially N of 78), such that there could possibly accumulating snow, followed by heavy rain 15-20 miles inland of 95 and N or 78 (i.e., NW of 287 from 78 to Suffern) and mostly snow/sleet well NW of 95, especially for the usual areas, like Sussex/Warren/NW Morris, NW Passaic, the Poconos, and the Hudson Valley. Anywhere that is mostly snow could easily pick up 6-10" or more - some sleet and freezing rain are possible with this system too in these areas. But the good news is that most of the ski resorts from NE PA through interior NY/New England should pick up substantial snowfall.

We're still 3+ days away from the main precip (relative to this morning's global model runs) so much could change, i.e., there could still be a bit of snow accumulating snow (especially early in the storm) along 95 prior to any changeover to rain, if the primary low approaching from the Ohio Valley weakens more quickly than forecast, allowing the secondary coastal low which forms to potentially take a more offshore track, bringing in colder air (there has been a bit of a trend towards colder solutions like this, given the strong blocking in place, which should make it hard for the primary low to stay strong). By the same token, if the primary is stronger, that could lead to more warm air moving in off the ocean, leading to much less snow, even well NW of 95. Still too early for actual forecasts. A couple of things we have high confidence in, however: there will be lots of precip and some substantial winds (could be advisory levels, especially near the coast), plus some minor tidal flooding could occur. The latest discussion from the NWS-Philly does a nice job outlining the meteorology and the potential outcomes and the 2nd link is to the AmericanWx thread on this, including sage input from Walt Drag (one of the best from the NWS, now retired).

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58571-1215-1216-possible-coastalwinter-storm/

LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
Global guidance continues to show a fairly significant coastal storm
impacting the region Thursday morning through at least early Friday.
The general thinking remains the same with this afternoon`s forecast
update: this system will have the potential to bring the area heavy
precipitation, strong winds, and potentially even some coastal
flooding issues. That said, there is still a lot of uncertainty
regarding the details such as exact timing and precipitation types.
In the big picture though, the latest GFS, GEM, and ECMWF all depict
a large lumbering upper level system moving out of the central CONUS
with a primary low over the midwest giving way to a secondary low
developing over the SE CONUS and tracking northeast right along the
coast Thursday through Friday as it deepens. If this track were to
verify, it would make it unlikely for the I-95 corridor to see a
significant snow event but the potential is still there farther
north and west towards the southern Poconos and NW New Jersey.

With that said, the timing of precip onset will be key Thursday
morning, which could determine whether or not we see a messy wintry
mix for the morning rush hour. Precip beginning earlier in the day
could run into the cold antecedent cold airmass, resulting in a
period of a wintry mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain mixed in
with rain for the I-95 corridor early to mid morning before
switching over to all rain by the afternoon. A slower start to
precip would be most ideal to remain predominantly rain along and
south of the I-95 corridor, but areas north and west could still
see a wintry mix. Again, high uncertainty remains with the precip
type forecast for early Thursday.

Once we get through the morning and switch over to mostly rain
Thursday afternoon, we will begin to see the brunt of the storm with
heavy rain ramping up into Thursday night across the south with
still a potential for wintry precip north and west across extreme
northeast PA and northwest NJ. East winds will also ramp up through
with the potential for gusts over 30 mph inland and over 40 mph
along the coast. Wind and rain will continue through Friday morning
before the system finally begins to depart the area southwest to
northeast by late Friday into early Saturday.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Any chance we don’t get anything? Supposed to fly into Newark Thursday and land at 9pm.
Assuming you mean the chances of no precip at all, I'll let Dean Wormer chime in on that probability...

UGb8d8a.png

have peeps calmed down on the hoops board. It was rough over there last night, which is understandable, but too many over the top reactions.
No and they won't if we don't win the next 3 and at least 2 of the next 4 B1G games - the fire Pike crowd are sharpening their pitchforks...

No and they won't if we don't win the next 3 and at least 2 of the next 4 B1G games - the fire Pike crowd are sharpening their pitchforks...
so like @bac2therac said- cold, cold rain.
Not enough of a basketball wiz to determine if last night was on Pike, or just piss poor play by the players, who appeared to be in a funk. Fire Pike is ridiculous in either case.

Reactions: RUScrew85
It was a disappointing game. The quality of play just wasn't there, in nearly every aspect of the game. I had hoped that getting robbed in Columbus would have the team all fired up and hitting on all cylinders, but that just wasn't the case.

Regardless, calling for Pike's head at this point is just plain stupid.

Also, it's gon' rain.

@RU848789 Going skiing to Hunter Friday AM. Lee Goldberg has 6-12" for the northern Catskills. What are the odds I have issue driving up before 7 AM Friday?

@RU848789 Going skiing to Hunter Friday AM. Lee Goldberg has 6-12" for the northern Catskills. What are the odds I have issue driving up before 7 AM Friday?
Would need to know where you're coming from, but assuming it's somewhere in CNJ, as long as you stay away from areas well NW of the Parkway/Turnpike/87, you'll be "fine" with regard to snow, as it will very likely just be raining - however, it could be fairly heavy rain, which is no picnic either, especially at rush hour (i.e., I'd want to be north of NYC by 7 am, not leaving at 7 am from CNJ).

The only snowy part of your drive should be the drive from 87 over to Hunter, which will be a challenge, as they'll be getting close to 1" per hour snowfall all Friday morning (10-16" forecast) once you're above maybe 1500', although one would think they'll be doing their best to keep the roads passable, given that skiing is big business up there.

StormTotalSnow.jpg

Back on topic.

I didn’t mean no precip. I meant any chance no major winds and n’oreaster.
No, no chance - it's gonna be a pretty serious rain/wind storm for most of the area with 1-2" of rain and wind advisories likely for the coast, at least (and possibly some minor coastal flooding, although we'll have astronomical lower tides than normal, which will minimize that). Will likely only see more than 1-2" of snow/sleet in the Poconos and the Catskills (with 4-8" in the Poconos and 8-16" in the Catskills).

Even Sussex County is only forecast to get 1-2" on the front end through Thursday evening and other areas well NW of 95, like the Lehigh Valley, Warren, Morris, W. Passaic, etc, might get up to 1" of snow/sleet during the day on Thursday, so the Thursday pm commute could be tough in those NW areas before the changeover to all rain, probably by late afternoon/early evening.

For areas near the 95 corridor (even 10-20 miles NW of there), any snow/sleet will likely be short-lived during the late morning (early morning down by Philly) with maybe a coating to 1/2" possible before the warm air changes things over to rain for everyone near 95 (and the coast should be all rain).

One caveat to all this: the NWS snowfall forecast is on the low side relative to what the models are showing, as most of the models are showing 2-4"/3-6" for places like the Lehigh Valley, Sussex/Warren, NW Morris and NW Passaic (and the Hudson Valley N of the Tappan Zee) and even 1-3" for places like western Hunterdon and northern Somerset vs. the 1-2" or less forecast by the NWS, so there is the potential for this system to overperform. See the NBM (National Model Blend) based on the 12Z models today, which is the same thing the NWS forecasts were evaluating when they put out there snowfall forecast.

PHI_Snow.png

snowfall_acc.us_ma.png

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
PHI_Snow.png

@Knight Shift, @koleszar and @knightfan7

We are safely in the white area because I cleaned my gutters and saw a guy buy way too many shovels at the Neptune Home Depot.

I also prepped my snowblower so that should give us a month or two as well.

Bill Murray Drink GIF
I'm a little behind with my snowblower prep. Also have a logistical issue with our new F150 Lightning taking up a lot more room in the garage. On top of that, been preoccupied with the lawn tractor that appears to have a blown head gasket. Ordered tractor ramps to drive it up in to the Lightning bed to bring it to the mower repair shop. They said they are not terribly busy now, because there will not be any snow in December and the snowblower repair rush will not start until 2023. I'll take their word for it!

I'm a little behind with my snowblower prep. Also have a logistical issue with our new F150 Lightning taking up a lot more room in the garage. On top of that, been preoccupied with the lawn tractor that appears to have a blown head gasket. Ordered tractor ramps to drive it up in to the Lightning bed to bring it to the mower repair shop. They said they are not terribly busy now, because there will not be any snow in December and the snowblower repair rush will not start until 2023. I'll take their word for it!
That sounds like a possible winner on “America’s Funniest Videos”

Reactions: Vlife and RUScrew85
Have been discussing this storm a bit in the weather pattern thread, but since it's absolutely certain we're going to be hit with a major nor'easter on Thursday into Friday, figured it was time for a new thread on this. This is still looking like a very powerful system (1-1.5" of liquid precip falling) to impact our area Thursday (especially Thursday afternoon/night) into Friday morning, but the models are almost all showing little to no snow along and SE of the 95 corridor, i.e., probably all rain. However, most of the models are showing a fairly sharp temperature and precip gradient as one moves NW of 95 (especially N of 78), such that there could possibly accumulating snow, followed by heavy rain 15-20 miles inland of 95 and N or 78 (i.e., NW of 287 from 78 to Suffern) and mostly snow/sleet well NW of 95, especially for the usual areas, like Sussex/Warren/NW Morris, NW Passaic, the Poconos, and the Hudson Valley. Anywhere that is mostly snow could easily pick up 6-10" or more - some sleet and freezing rain are possible with this system too in these areas. But the good news is that most of the ski resorts from NE PA through interior NY/New England should pick up substantial snowfall.

We're still 3+ days away from the main precip (relative to this morning's global model runs) so much could change, i.e., there could still be a bit of snow accumulating snow (especially early in the storm) along 95 prior to any changeover to rain, if the primary low approaching from the Ohio Valley weakens more quickly than forecast, allowing the secondary coastal low which forms to potentially take a more offshore track, bringing in colder air (there has been a bit of a trend towards colder solutions like this, given the strong blocking in place, which should make it hard for the primary low to stay strong). By the same token, if the primary is stronger, that could lead to more warm air moving in off the ocean, leading to much less snow, even well NW of 95. Still too early for actual forecasts. A couple of things we have high confidence in, however: there will be lots of precip and some substantial winds (could be advisory levels, especially near the coast), plus some minor tidal flooding could occur. The latest discussion from the NWS-Philly does a nice job outlining the meteorology and the potential outcomes and the 2nd link is to the AmericanWx thread on this, including sage input from Walt Drag (one of the best from the NWS, now retired).

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58571-1215-1216-possible-coastalwinter-storm/

LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
Global guidance continues to show a fairly significant coastal storm
impacting the region Thursday morning through at least early Friday.
The general thinking remains the same with this afternoon`s forecast
update: this system will have the potential to bring the area heavy
precipitation, strong winds, and potentially even some coastal
flooding issues. That said, there is still a lot of uncertainty
regarding the details such as exact timing and precipitation types.
In the big picture though, the latest GFS, GEM, and ECMWF all depict
a large lumbering upper level system moving out of the central CONUS
with a primary low over the midwest giving way to a secondary low
developing over the SE CONUS and tracking northeast right along the
coast Thursday through Friday as it deepens. If this track were to
verify, it would make it unlikely for the I-95 corridor to see a
significant snow event but the potential is still there farther
north and west towards the southern Poconos and NW New Jersey.

With that said, the timing of precip onset will be key Thursday
morning, which could determine whether or not we see a messy wintry
mix for the morning rush hour. Precip beginning earlier in the day
could run into the cold antecedent cold airmass, resulting in a
period of a wintry mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain mixed in
with rain for the I-95 corridor early to mid morning before
switching over to all rain by the afternoon. A slower start to
precip would be most ideal to remain predominantly rain along and
south of the I-95 corridor, but areas north and west could still
see a wintry mix. Again, high uncertainty remains with the precip
type forecast for early Thursday.

Once we get through the morning and switch over to mostly rain
Thursday afternoon, we will begin to see the brunt of the storm with
heavy rain ramping up into Thursday night across the south with
still a potential for wintry precip north and west across extreme
northeast PA and northwest NJ. East winds will also ramp up through
with the potential for gusts over 30 mph inland and over 40 mph
along the coast. Wind and rain will continue through Friday morning
before the system finally begins to depart the area southwest to
northeast by late Friday into early Saturday.
Holy crap this is longer than your Covid threads

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Would need to know where you're coming from, but assuming it's somewhere in CNJ, as long as you stay away from areas well NW of the Parkway/Turnpike/87, you'll be "fine" with regard to snow, as it will very likely just be raining - however, it could be fairly heavy rain, which is no picnic either, especially at rush hour (i.e., I'd want to be north of NYC by 7 am, not leaving at 7 am from CNJ).

The only snowy part of your drive should be the drive from 87 over to Hunter, which will be a challenge, as they'll be getting close to 1" per hour snowfall all Friday morning (10-16" forecast) once you're above maybe 1500', although one would think they'll be doing their best to keep the roads passable, given that skiing is big business up there.

StormTotalSnow.jpg
Thanks! Would be leaving from NW Bergen county and would be on the road around 6 AM. If the forecast is 10-16", even I may have to pass on that. Snow doesn't scare me since I have an AWD vehicle, but that mountain pass on 23A may be challenging with that much snow.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Supposed to go on a river boat cruise in NYC tomorrow at noon. Wonder if that will get cancelled

ADVERTISEMENT