ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major Winter Storm 3/13-14 (Mixed Bag/High Uncertainty) and 3/10-11 (over)

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
More model mayhem at 12Z today (7 am EST data inputs; results coming out now), with the following highlights below (would require 2-3 maps per model to show all the nuances given mixed precip, so words for now, lol. Suffice it to say that this is a very complex setup as we really have two lows: one approaching from the Ohio Valley and weakening near us and then a secondary coastal low forming that is mostly going out to sea, but does bring some precip in some models, especially near the coast (rain in most, but not all models).

If the coastal were to come up the coast, we'd be talking at least a significant snowstorm for almost everyone, assuming it brought enough cold air in from the NE (not a given, so rain would also be possible). We've seen that in previous model runs, including last night, and in many model ensemble members, where the parent model is tweaked with variations in initial/boundary conditions to gauge the sensitivity of the model to these perturbations, especially since the data inputs are often sparse and inaccurate, so one run of the operational model is often insufficient to evaluate the output. So, we're almost 4 days out from the event starting and there is a huge range of outcomes possible, with high levels of uncertainty on any solution. It's why we track.
  • The GFS is showing significant snowfall (4-8") just NW of 95 with mostly rain along and SE of 95 from the initial low from the Ohio Valley late Friday night into early Saturday morning, followed by a secondary coastal forming and bringing several inches of snow to areas SE of 95 (and a lot more to SNE) Sat morning.
  • The CMC is showing a minor to moderate snowfall (1-4") for most of the area, except rain near the coast from the initial low from the Ohio Valley late Friday night into early Saturday morning, the secondary coastal low goes out to sea w/little precip for anyone.
  • The UK shows a minor to moderate snowfall (1-4") for areas well NW of 95 (maybe from New Hope to Montvale and NW of there) and mostly rain near/along 95 and to the coast from the initial low from the Ohio Valley late Friday night into early Saturday morning; again, the secondary coastal low goes out to sea w/little precip for anyone.
  • The Euro is somewhat similar to the CMC in that it shows a moderate snowfall (2-4") for most of the area, except <1" near the coast (due to rain) from the initial low from the Ohio Valley late Friday night into early Saturday morning, while the secondary coastal low goes out to sea with a little bit of snow for along and SE of 95 to the coast.
Lastly, note that all of the main global models above are showing a second winter storm for the Monday timeframe with similar large variabilities in outcomes from major snowstorm to moderate mixed storm to mostly rain to mostly out to sea. That may need a thread in a few days. As an aside, this is what I meant by the pattern change leading to colder than normal weather for the 2nd and 3rd weeks of March with higher than normal snow chances (but no guarantees). I don't think I've started more than two winter threads this season and one was kind of a goof to see if we would break our snowless streak at the end of Jan with 0.1" or more of snow (we did).

One more point: so far, the NWS is not very enthusiastic for this event, as their thinking is that this will be mostly a rainstorm, except for areas NW of 95 and especially N of 78, but they do tend to start out conservatively, which I actually like, since there are so many things that can go wrong to prevent snow around here, especially in mid-March along and SE of 95. I'd rather them do that than tout the occasional model run that shows a huge snowbomb when most others aren't (like last night's Euro for the Monday event - no other models showed that). Included links to the NWS page, the AmericanWx thread on this (33andrain is moving to a Discord site, which I don't know if it's viewable if not a member, unlike the boards) and to Pivotal Weather, which has all the models if anyone wants to look at them.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/
https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58892-march-2023/page/37/
https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php

3/12 Edit: changed thread title from "OT: Winter Storm 3/10-11 (Still High Uncertainty) and 3/13-14 (high potential/high uncertainty)" to current title.

Last edited:
YEAH! Yet another phantom snow thread. OP on full tilt.

the-rock-rolling-eyes.gif

Reactions: CJ1987
better stress about accumulations on grass vs paved surfaces because with the last couple of non events it matters....seeing 2-3 inches forecasted in march isnt the same as in january.

if its not likely to stick to roads then people need to know about it because thats what most people care about the most. Eyeballing what you just posted it looks this is another marginal situation for accumulating snows that make a difference for much of the region

I'm flying to Rome out of JFK on Sunday afternoon. Anything to be concerned with?

Agreed, traffic would be my biggest concern - I hate flying out of JFK, lol...
I have to ask you a serious question. Does the "official" snow measurement allowed to be taken off a car or anything metal? Not just the ground?

Reactions: RU848789
better stress about accumulations on grass vs paved surfaces because with the last couple of non events it matters....seeing 2-3 inches forecasted in march isnt the same as in january.

if its not likely to stick to roads then people need to know about it because thats what most people care about the most. Eyeballing what you just posted it looks this is another marginal situation for accumulating snows that make a difference for much of the region
Good points. I try to do that every time, including on the last 2 minor events, but it seems kind of early to make that a focus when we don't even know, yet, what's going to happen - that will come later, although obviously, if temps are marginal for accumulation, that likely means roads won't be much of an issue. In fact, if the last 2 events had happened during daylight, they would've mostly been white rain with snow mostly melting - night time snow is far more likely to accumulate in March - and this event will be almost all at night, giving the greatest possibility of accumulating. Also, for both of those events, especially the 2/27-28 event, where areas along/N of 78 got 3+" at or below 32F, there were some slippery roads for the morning rush hour (local/secondary roads, not major treated roads), before things warmed up much.

I have to ask you a serious question. Does the "official" snow measurement allowed to be taken off a car or anything metal? Not just the ground?
Good question. Snowfall measuring procedures recommend using a "snow board" which is typically a piece of plywood painted a light color (so as not to absorb too much heat from the sun). Not everyone has a snow board, though, so any colder surface where snow accumulates best is generally acceptable, like a deck or a car top - as long as those surfaces are generally not obstructed from above (roofs, trees, etc.), which can affect how much snow accumulates.

Grass surfaces are frowned upon moreso than wood or metal, because there is usually a trapped air layer in the grass, which can allow the snow to start accumulating some small height above the actual ground, inflating snowfall measurements, when the ruler gets pushed down to the actual ground. Also, while the "board" is supposed to only be wiped clean every 6 hours, one is supposed to measure snow, if possible, as close to the end of precip as possible, before melting/compaction - the idea is to capture the maximum snow that accumulated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/11/25/heres-how-measure-snow-like-pro/

Reactions: Knight Shift
More model mayhem at 12Z today (7 am EST data inputs; results coming out now), with the following highlights below (would require 2-3 maps per model to show all the nuances given mixed precip, so words for now, lol. Suffice it to say that this is a very complex setup as we really have two lows: one approaching from the Ohio Valley and weakening near us and then a secondary coastal low forming that is mostly going out to sea, but does bring some precip in some models, especially near the coast (rain in most, but not all models).

If the coastal were to come up the coast, we'd be talking at least a significant snowstorm for almost everyone, assuming it brought enough cold air in from the NE (not a given, so rain would also be possible). We've seen that in previous model runs, including last night, and in many model ensemble members, where the parent model is tweaked with variations in initial/boundary conditions to gauge the sensitivity of the model to these perturbations, especially since the data inputs are often sparse and inaccurate, so one run of the operational model is often insufficient to evaluate the output. So, we're almost 4 days out from the event starting and there is a huge range of outcomes possible, with high levels of uncertainty on any solution. It's why we track.
  • The GFS is showing significant snowfall (4-8") just NW of 95 with mostly rain along and SE of 95 from the initial low from the Ohio Valley late Friday night into early Saturday morning, followed by a secondary coastal forming and bringing several inches of snow to areas SE of 95 (and a lot more to SNE) Sat morning.
  • The CMC is showing a minor to moderate snowfall (1-4") for most of the area, except rain near the coast from the initial low from the Ohio Valley late Friday night into early Saturday morning, the secondary coastal low goes out to sea w/little precip for anyone.
  • The UK shows a minor to moderate snowfall (1-4") for areas well NW of 95 (maybe from New Hope to Montvale and NW of there) and mostly rain near/along 95 and to the coast from the initial low from the Ohio Valley late Friday night into early Saturday morning; again, the secondary coastal low goes out to sea w/little precip for anyone.
  • The Euro is somewhat similar to the CMC in that it shows a moderate snowfall (2-4") for most of the area, except <1" near the coast (due to rain) from the initial low from the Ohio Valley late Friday night into early Saturday morning, while the secondary coastal low goes out to sea with a little bit of snow for along and SE of 95 to the coast.
Lastly, note that all of the main global models above are showing a second winter storm for the Monday timeframe with similar large variabilities in outcomes from major snowstorm to moderate mixed storm to mostly rain to mostly out to sea. That may need a thread in a few days. As an aside, this is what I meant by the pattern change leading to colder than normal weather for the 2nd and 3rd weeks of March with higher than normal snow chances (but no guarantees). I don't think I've started more than two winter threads this season and one was kind of a goof to see if we would break our snowless streak at the end of Jan with 0.1" or more of snow (we did).

One more point: so far, the NWS is not very enthusiastic for this event, as their thinking is that this will be mostly a rainstorm, except for areas NW of 95 and especially N of 78, but they do tend to start out conservatively, which I actually like, since there are so many things that can go wrong to prevent snow around here, especially in mid-March along and SE of 95. I'd rather them do that than tout the occasional model run that shows a huge snowbomb when most others aren't (like last night's Euro for the Monday event - no other models showed that). Included links to the NWS page, the AmericanWx thread on this (33andrain is moving to a Discord site, which I don't know if it's viewable if not a member, unlike the boards) and to Pivotal Weather, which has all the models if anyone wants to look at them.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58892-march-2023/page/37/
https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php
Well, it's starting to look like the possibility of the coastal coming up the coast and bombing out for a major storm is on life support, but almost all of the models (except the UK, which is only showing snow N of 78) are still showing minor (1-2") to moderate (2-4") snowfall (with some areas NW of 78/287 getting 4-6"), from the primary low approaching from the Ohio Valley, for much of the Philly-NJ-NYC area from late Friday evening through about sunrise Saturday, especially along and NW of 95 (and especially N of 78) - pretty good consensus on that for 3 days out.

Specifically, the GFS, Euro, CMC, NAM and RGEM are generally showing <1" along the NJ coast with maybe up to 1/2" of rain, 1-2" along the 95 corridor (with some rain) from Wilmington to NYC, 2-4" 10-20 miles NW of 95 (with little rain) and 4-6" well NW of 95, especially N of 78. There is still plenty of time for some modest changes, i.e., more snow to the coast or more rain to and a bit NW of 95, but a major winter storm is looking pretty unlikely right now, due to the lack of a strong coastal storm developing. Given the marginal surface temps along and SE of 95, like last night it might be difficult for the snow to accumulate unless rates are high, although it will help greatly that all of the precip will be at night - as such, roads are unlikely to be a problem along/SE of 95 should these amounts verify.

Beyond that, the models diverge significantly for the Monday into Tuesday event. The Euro is showing a major snowstorm for areas NW of NW Warren to West Milford to Danbury (and mostly rain for everyone SE of that line), while the GFS and CMC are showing a fizzling primary low from the west bringing maybe an inch or two of snow to our area, with a coastal forming too far SE of us, which then comes up the coast and hammers eastern New England. One of those situations where significant wintry weather is being seen by all the models, but just not quite for our area (unlike last night when the Euro showed a major snowstorm for most of us). Stay tuned on this one.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58892-march-2023/page/38/

Reactions: Knight Shift
Just not our winter.
Nope, not looking like it. I completely get little snow for Jan/Feb, as the pattern was just horrible (I would barely even look at weather sites for days, which is unheard of for me), but if we go through 3/20 with little to no snow (many got 1-2"/2-4" this morning, but many got nada), I'll be pretty disappointed, as the general pattern and all the ingredients are there, but they have to come together in the right order and time to give us significant snow for the 95 corridor.

Good question. Snowfall measuring procedures recommend using a "snow board" which is typically a piece of plywood painted a light color (so as not to absorb too much heat from the sun). Not everyone has a snow board, though, so any colder surface where snow accumulates best is generally acceptable, like a deck or a car top - as long as those surfaces are generally not obstructed from above (roofs, trees, etc.), which can affect how much snow accumulates.

Grass surfaces are frowned upon moreso than wood or metal, because there is usually a trapped air layer in the grass, which can allow the snow to start accumulating some small height above the actual ground, inflating snowfall measurements, when the ruler gets pushed down to the actual ground. Also, while the "board" is supposed to only be wiped clean every 6 hours, one is supposed to measure snow, if possible, as close to the end of precip as possible, before melting/compaction - the idea is to capture the maximum snow that accumulated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/11/25/heres-how-measure-snow-like-pro/
My problem from an historical perspective is that cars haven't been around as long as they have been taking records. The first and only "measurable" snow in Philadelphia was a day where snow was only on cars. Not an uncommon occurrence during marginal conditions. It's usually not a significant issue but realistically Philly hasn't had any measurable snow this year, seems like a manufactured way of record taking.
We've talked about the airport being the official location which has always been a bad location. I'm all for it not being in the center of the urban jungle but Fairmount Park would be have been a much better location. The influence of two major rivers surrounding much of the city does influence temps in the city. The airport and some of the records being observed in another county was just a bad idea.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Nope, not looking like it. I completely get little snow for Jan/Feb, as the pattern was just horrible (I would barely even look at weather sites for days, which is unheard of for me), but if we go through 3/20 with little to no snow (many got 1-2"/2-4" this morning, but many got nada), I'll be pretty disappointed, as the general pattern and all the ingredients are there, but they have to come together in the right order and time to give us significant snow for the 95 corridor.
I don't want to get yelled at again, but a word of advice from Horace Greely- Go West young man! 😉

The wind the last 2 days has been insane. Just lost internet and our front flag pole just snapped. My spot has basically been sustained 18-25 with gusts 30-40 for 48 hours
Hit 57 mph in Sea Girt this past Saturday morning. High yesterday was 41 mph.

I remember a March 10-15 period about 2012 or so maybe 2011 where we were in the upper 70s to low 80s..very early spring that year, so early that we began work actually before St Patricks Day which is unheard of. I do remember after that it got cold again

but still i remember times filling out ncaa brackets around this team in shorts outside in the 70s. NCAA tourney used to start a week earlier. While its been warm this winter, we have not the real warm 70 plus days with sun that we have had sprinkled in some other days.

This March weather blows....40s and low 50s til further notice

I think it's nuts how once again February acted like March and March in return is acting like February. This is like three years in a row now.
Last March was ok starting the month with some 60s and 70s. Hitting the 70s eight times in the month. Beginning of April was cold.

I think it's nuts how once again February acted like March and March in return is acting like February. This is like three years in a row now.
Its more or less been this way for the past decade. I played on my high school golf team all 4 years from 06-09, season began March 1st and other than a couple of days of flurries and some one-off cold days there was never major snow threats. You would also have some warm 70 degree days sprinkled in. Same held true in college. But back then December, January, and February actually behaved like winter months.

The March and April insanity all started in March 2013 with two notable nor’easters.

Well, it's starting to look like the possibility of the coastal coming up the coast and bombing out for a major storm is on life support, but almost all of the models (except the UK, which is only showing snow N of 78) are still showing minor (1-2") to moderate (2-4") snowfall (with some areas NW of 78/287 getting 4-6"), from the primary low approaching from the Ohio Valley, for much of the Philly-NJ-NYC area from late Friday evening through about sunrise Saturday, especially along and NW of 95 (and especially N of 78) - pretty good consensus on that for 3 days out.

Specifically, the GFS, Euro, CMC, NAM and RGEM are generally showing <1" along the NJ coast with maybe up to 1/2" of rain, 1-2" along the 95 corridor (with some rain) from Wilmington to NYC, 2-4" 10-20 miles NW of 95 (with little rain) and 4-6" well NW of 95, especially N of 78. There is still plenty of time for some modest changes, i.e., more snow to the coast or more rain to and a bit NW of 95, but a major winter storm is looking pretty unlikely right now, due to the lack of a strong coastal storm developing. Given the marginal surface temps along and SE of 95, like last night it might be difficult for the snow to accumulate unless rates are high, although it will help greatly that all of the precip will be at night - as such, roads are unlikely to be a problem along/SE of 95 should these amounts verify.

Beyond that, the models diverge significantly for the Monday into Tuesday event. The Euro is showing a major snowstorm for areas NW of NW Warren to West Milford to Danbury (and mostly rain for everyone SE of that line), while the GFS and CMC are showing a fizzling primary low from the west bringing maybe an inch or two of snow to our area, with a coastal forming too far SE of us, which then comes up the coast and hammers eastern New England. One of those situations where significant wintry weather is being seen by all the models, but just not quite for our area (unlike last night when the Euro showed a major snowstorm for most of us). Stay tuned on this one.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/58892-march-2023/page/38/
Interesting situation, as all of the models are showing 1-2" along the 95 corridor from Wilmington to NYC (except the UK which only shows snow N of 78), but the NWS is forecasting essentially nothing for 95. Very surprised with the NWS forecast being so conservative, especially with the NYC media also predicting 1-2" along 95 from CNJ to NYC. I know conditions will be marginal (temps in the 34-35F range) late Friday into early Saturday, when most of the precip will fall, possibly limiting accumulations, but all of the precip will fall while dark, eliminating sun angle as an issue.

It's not so much that I think their forecast is "wrong" but that they're going that strongly against the models (not that 1-2" overnight, melting by 10 am would be a big deal anyway - it's just surprising). Their map looks just like the NBM map and I also can't figure out how a blend of the models would show nearly nothing along 95, when most of the models are showing at least 1" and up to 2" for some. In addition, they're only showing maybe 1" along/N of 78 and 1-3" along and N of 80, where the models are showing 2-3 along 78 and 3-5" along/N of 80 (I included the 12Z Euro as an example - the GFS/CMC/NAM and RGEM are all fairly similar to this and the Euro nailed the minor/moderate snowfall on Mon/Tues). I guess we'll find out soon.

Lastly the models are still way all over the place for the Mon/Tues system, with the Euro showing a significant to major snowstorm just NW of 95 (with some snow along 95), the GFS showing a minor snowfall for most, the CMC showing a moderate snowstorm just NW of 95 with mostly rain along/SE of 95 and the UK showing a rainstorm for everyone in NJ except NW Sussex County. Still 5+ days out on that one, so uncertainty/variability is to be expected. It's worth noting that over the next ~10 days, areas not too far NW of 95 and N of 80 could be seeing major snowfall amounts (>8"), while there might be very little along/SE of 95 - that's March climatology for you...

ILbLUYx.png

IljwuZR.png

Interesting situation, as all of the models are showing 1-2" along the 95 corridor from Wilmington to NYC (except the UK which only shows snow N of 78), but the NWS is forecasting essentially nothing for 95. Very surprised with the NWS forecast being so conservative, especially with the NYC media also predicting 1-2" along 95 from CNJ to NYC. I know conditions will be marginal (temps in the 34-35F range) late Friday into early Saturday, when most of the precip will fall, possibly limiting accumulations, but all of the precip will fall while dark, eliminating sun angle as an issue.

It's not so much that I think their forecast is "wrong" but that they're going that strongly against the models (not that 1-2" overnight, melting by 10 am would be a big deal anyway - it's just surprising). Their map looks just like the NBM map and I also can't figure out how a blend of the models would show nearly nothing along 95, when most of the models are showing at least 1" and up to 2" for some. In addition, they're only showing maybe 1" along/N of 78 and 1-3" along and N of 80, where the models are showing 2-3 along 78 and 3-5" along/N of 80 (I included the 12Z Euro as an example - the GFS/CMC/NAM and RGEM are all fairly similar to this and the Euro nailed the minor/moderate snowfall on Mon/Tues). I guess we'll find out soon.

Lastly the models are still way all over the place for the Mon/Tues system, with the Euro showing a significant to major snowstorm just NW of 95 (with some snow along 95), the GFS showing a minor snowfall for most, the CMC showing a moderate snowstorm just NW of 95 with mostly rain along/SE of 95 and the UK showing a rainstorm for everyone in NJ except NW Sussex County. Still 5+ days out on that one, so uncertainty/variability is to be expected. It's worth noting that over the next ~10 days, areas not too far NW of 95 and N of 80 could be seeing major snowfall amounts (>8"), while there might be very little along/SE of 95 - that's March climatology for you...

ILbLUYx.png

IljwuZR.png

NWS just upped their snowfall forecasts, as expected, with 1-2" now around 78 and the 0-1" swath now throughout 95 and even SE of there. Still think they might need to adjust upwards again, especially with the latest 18Z NAM/GFS continuing with a couple of inches for much of 95 and the 18Z RGEM now also showing a couple of inches for 95 (was showing 1" or less before) and more NW. If the models are correct, those numbers will go up further. Even at 1-2", that's still a pretty minor event, but it's certainly not a non-event.

sqq4ABs.png

ZUij6SG.png

My problem from an historical perspective is that cars haven't been around as long as they have been taking records. The first and only "measurable" snow in Philadelphia was a day where snow was only on cars. Not an uncommon occurrence during marginal conditions. It's usually not a significant issue but realistically Philly hasn't had any measurable snow this year, seems like a manufactured way of record taking.
We've talked about the airport being the official location which has always been a bad location. I'm all for it not being in the center of the urban jungle but Fairmount Park would be have been a much better location. The influence of two major rivers surrounding much of the city does influence temps in the city. The airport and some of the records being observed in another county was just a bad idea.
We've agreed that the airport is a terrible place for Philly's station of record, as it simply doesn't reflect Philly, being at the far southern tip of the City and located in a concrete jungle. Fairmount Park would've been perfect.

I wouldn't be too concerned about "cars" as no "official" weather station measurement is taken on a car - they all use snowboards, as do trained spotters and many in the public, like myself. And being the geeky scientist I am, I've cross-checked my board, my deck, the car and the grass and for the vast majority of storms, they're all very close - I don't get snow on my car, but no snow on my board or deck. The one thing that nobody should ever be doing is measuring on a paved surface, as that will almost always be low (due to retained heat and melting), unless temps are in the mid-20s or lower (rare around here). While how much falls on pavement is obviously important with regard to travel impacts, the objective of snow measurement is to record the maximum snow accumulation.

We've agreed that the airport is a terrible place for Philly's station of record, as it simply doesn't reflect Philly, being at the far southern tip of the City and located in a concrete jungle. Fairmount Park would've been perfect.

I wouldn't be too concerned about "cars" as no "official" weather station measurement is taken on a car - they all use snowboards, as do trained spotters and many in the public, like myself. And being the geeky scientist I am, I've cross-checked my board, my deck, the car and the grass and for the vast majority of storms, they're all very close - I don't get snow on my car, but no snow on my board or deck. The one thing that nobody should ever be doing is measuring on a paved surface, as that will almost always be low (due to retained heat and melting), unless temps are in the mid-20s or lower (rare around here). While how much falls on pavement is obviously important with regard to travel impacts, the objective of snow measurement is to record the maximum snow accumulation.
Another question. In the Philly area, South Jersey, there is the town of Millville. They often record the lowest temperature and the highest temperature in the large Philly area on the same day. Some say it's the lowest elevation among anywhere else near them. They are far enough away from the ocean and the Delaware Bay not to be influenced. Can the bowl effect produce the same range in the same day?

Another question. In the Philly area, South Jersey, there is the town of Millville. They often record the lowest temperature and the highest temperature in the large Philly area on the same day. Some say it's the lowest elevation among anywhere else near them. They are far enough away from the ocean and the Delaware Bay not to be influenced. Can the bowl effect produce the same range in the same day?
That’s a good question and interested in hearing the response. Does Mike Trout know? Anyway, this has the makings of a good trivia question.

That’s a good question and interested in hearing the response. Does Mike Trout know? Anyway, this has the makings of a good trivia question.
It's crazy you watch the 6am news and they are the coldest town in the morning. At 6pm they are the highest. Very small town area but lots of land, pines area.

Millville weather observations are recorded at the airport - large, flat expanse with lots of concrete.

Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT