ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major winter storm 3/20-21?

I actually preferred Hydrox over Oreos back in the day

they were discontinued in 1999 but a new company started making them in 2015 albeit not the orignal recipe as they removed some artificial flavoring

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrox

Oreo contained lard until the mid-90's. Up until that point Hydrox was the only kosher option. Supposedly Nabisco was losing a ton of opportunity by not supplying to ice-cream companies. When Oreo became kosher in 1997 it might have had something to do with putting Hydrox out of business.

As I've said many times, I don't really care how many threads there are on the weather - I like starting the threads because my guess is I'm the only one who goes back to them after the fact, routinely and uses them - and it's way easier to find them if I start them (try searching for posts instead of threads). I just made updates to the 3/2 and 3/7 threads yesterday that probably nobody noticed, but it was much easier to find them since I had started those threads. So, y'all are going to have to live with this thread too. Feel free to not post in it if you don't like it.
Of course they like it - it gives them something to complain about and they live for that sh... tuff.

I'm actually surprised the media is hyping this so early. They seemed to stop doing that after having a couple of big busts a couple of years ago. I know it's probably because we just got hit by three events, but I think that's all the more reason to not feed hysteria now.
I kind of get wanting eyeballs, as long as they're not making shit up and they're not, at least not who I watch. Loved TWC graphic showing the almost identical shapes (if not placement) of the last 3 not'easters with a giant question mark about a 4th and Tom Niziol was being very circumspect in his descriptions of the possible event.

Reactions: RUPete
I'm actually surprised the media is hyping this so early. They seemed to stop doing that after having a couple of big busts a couple of years ago. I know it's probably because we just got hit by three events, but I think that's all the more reason to not feed hysteria now.

ratings..with the fervor of 3 northeasters, hyping another is exactly up their alley.....plus its good business for the weenie boards as well...never seen such analysis of runs this far out

Reactions: CJ1987 and RUPete
ratings..with the fervor of 3 northeasters, hyping another is exactly up their alley.....plus its good business for the weenie boards as well...never seen such analysis of runs this far out
Yeah, almost as bad as you doing your NCAA bubble analysis 2 weeks before the season is over, when the uncertainty is very high. I actually don't care, as I've always enjoyed your bubble threads; just pointing out the hypocrisy, as they're fairly similar scenarios where uncertainty keeps decreasing as one gets closer to the event.

NWS-Philly discussion. Not much new to add, just confirming the potential...

Attention then turns to a shortwave that will be moving across the
Plains on Monday and then towards the region on Tuesday. The overall
large scale pattern appears to be well handled by the global models
and ensemble means, but differences arise in how much confluence
there is to our north from upper trough across SE Canada and the
North Atlantic as well as how much amplification will occur as the
shortwave tracks east. Monday will remain dry as brief ridging
occurs ahead of the shortwave and Canadian high pressure builds
southward into the region.

The approaching shortwave should be able to develop a well defined
surface low as it nears into Tuesday and moves somewhere off the
Middle Atlantic or northeast coast. The low may deepen fairly
rapidly as it does so, but confidence in track, timing, and strength
is low since this is a day 7 forecast. There is still quite a bit of
time to sort out the details, with the main take home point being
that another storm system is possible sometime early to middle of
next week.

Sunshine Biscuits made Hydrox, as well as other products, at their Sayreville facility.

Anybody who grew up in Sayreville knew people who worked at the plant and got lots of free cookies.

I started my career in public accounting as an auditor for Deloitte. This was back in the early to mid-90's. Sunshine Biscuits was one of my clients at the time. Their administrative offices where we did the audits were attached to the bakery in the Sayreville facility. I used to love that engagement. One, because the people there were great to deal with, but more importantly, they used to take us out on 'tours' of the bakery pretty much every day we were there. The bakery was enormous - the size of a giant warehouse. We were literally taking the cookies and other stuff they made right of the conveyor belts as it came out of the ovens. It was a pretty cool process to watch it go from the raw ingredient stage to the end product. It was a pretty mechanized process and it smelled great in there. They also made Cheese Its, among many other things, as well. Fond memories...

observant muslims don't either.......

Jewish and Muslim dietary laws have a fair amount in common . . . the latter are probably derived from the former. Muslims can eat kosher food without violating halal (at least under traditional interpretations), but observant Jews can't do the converse; the Jewish rules are generally stricter.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Yeah, almost as bad as you doing your NCAA bubble analysis 2 weeks before the season is over, when the uncertainty is very high. I actually don't care, as I've always enjoyed your bubble threads; just pointing out the hypocrisy, as they're fairly similar scenarios where uncertainty keeps decreasing as one gets closer to the event.

oh no you didnt

Lard's awesome. I have no idea why any religions continue with the silliness of dietary restrictions, but then again...(will leave it at that, so as not to derail the thread)...

The Orthodox Jewish position is "God commanded us to follow these laws, so we do." In other words, it's part of the Jewish covenant with God (what Christians tend to call "the old covenant.") The laws have also been explained as a means to preserve Jewish identity in a world which is 0.2% Jewish; after all, if you can't eat your neighbors' food, you won't be assimilated by them. Still another explanation is that the laws basically control human appetites for animals (all of the laws have something to do with consuming animals).

Reactions: m1ipabrams
I thought this was a thread about da weather?
Yea, that's what I thought too.

I guess since the timing is till about 6 days away, not too much to talk about yet.

With it being so far from now, I am guessing that a new thread should be started in a couple of days because this thread will be cluttered with non-weather conversations

Since this is a weather thread and it's too early to tell what the hell is going to happen or not happen with the storm, let's go a little farther out. When the hell is this weather pattern going to break so we finally see normal daytime temps into the 50s and occasionally higher?

Yea, that's what I thought too.

I guess since the timing is till about 6 days away, not too much to talk about yet.

With it being so far from now, I am guessing that a new thread should be started in a couple of days because this thread will be cluttered with non-weather conversations

Beyond 4 days out, we're really only looking at 4 main global models that go out 7+ days (Euro, UK, GFS and CMC) and only the GFS is run 4x per day; the rest only are run twice a day, initializing at 00Z (7 pm EST or 8 pm EDT) and at 12Z (7 am EST or 8 am EDT). However, while the models all use the same initialization data sets and model start times, they all have different model end times, when the model outputs become available. Typically, the GFS/CMC/UK all come out around 11:30 am/11:30 pm (EDT), while the Euro doesn't come out until about2 pm/2 am (EDT).

So, way less models to look at this far out. Several other short-term models go out about 3-4 days (and run 4x/day), so lots more to look at then. Until then, it's slow. Nothing's really changed, though, as the potential is major, but the general details won't be coming into focus for a couple of more days and the very specific details probably won't be clear until a couple of days before the storm (and can still change some after that).

One thing I can say is I won't be starting any other threads on this storm. I like having all the storm info in one thread. The non-weather stuff always goes on - it is an OT board after all, lol.

Reactions: Machiavelli23
Hydrox were long popular among observant Jews. The reason? Oreos were made with lard (from pigs, and hence forbidden under the dietary laws) and Hydorx were not, and were certified as kosher. had a friend whose mother would not allow Oreos in the house, and so would serve Hydrox, which I disliked. Oreos have since stopped using lard and are now certified as kosher. One problem remains for both Oreos and Hydrox for those who keep kosher: both are dairy and therefore cannot be consumed with a meat meal. Of course, all this affects only those Jews who keep the dietary laws, who are probably no more than a fifth at most of American Jews.

Oreos are vegan.

https://oukosher.org/publications/latest-oreo-cookies/

Jewish and Muslim dietary laws have a fair amount in common . . . the latter are probably derived from the former. Muslims can eat kosher food without violating halal (at least under traditional interpretations), but observant Jews can't do the converse; the Jewish rules are generally stricter.

Planning on coming to NJ March 22rd.
Assuming there isn't some storm that f's things up.

Regarding Muslims / Jews: last time I was in NYC I ate a hot dog from a street vendor (same as I always did)....but it tasted horrible. IMO Halal hot dogs don't have the same spices...garlic or salt content: TASTE . Give m a Kosher dog,,,,or pass!~

As for Hydrox....who the hell cares. Toy's R Us is BK ...Hydtrox is gone / Oreo's survive & live on.

Long live Oreo's!

MO

Beyond 4 days out, we're really only looking at 4 main global models that go out 7+ days (Euro, UK, GFS and CMC) and only the GFS is run 4x per day; the rest only are run twice a day, initializing at 00Z (7 pm EST or 8 pm EDT) and at 12Z (7 am EST or 8 am EDT). However, while the models all use the same initialization data sets and model start times, they all have different model end times, when the model outputs become available. Typically, the GFS/CMC/UK all come out around 11:30 am/11:30 pm (EDT), while the Euro doesn't come out until about2 pm/2 am (EDT).

So, way less models to look at this far out. Several other short-term models go out about 3-4 days (and run 4x/day), so lots more to look at then. Until then, it's slow. Nothing's really changed, though, as the potential is major, but the general details won't be coming into focus for a couple of more days and the very specific details probably won't be clear until a couple of days before the storm (and can still change some after that).

One thing I can say is I won't be starting any other threads on this storm. I like having all the storm info in one thread. The non-weather stuff always goes on - it is an OT board after all, lol.

this is why you do not start weather threads 7-8 days out with literally nothing to talk about since models analysis is worthless at this point

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Since this is a weather thread and it's too early to tell what the hell is going to happen or not happen with the storm, let's go a little farther out. When the hell is this weather pattern going to break so we finally see normal daytime temps into the 50s and occasionally higher?

Let's put it this way - it'll be an upset if we see 60F before April. Relatively cold and potentially stormy pattern is expected to continue through the end of March. Anyone remember 4/6/82? Sophomore year, 13" of snow in NB - insane day.

Edit - 10" that day not 13"; see post below on the 4/6/82 storm...

Last edited:

Oreo says that Oreos are not vegan. http://www.oreo.co.uk/faq
The site you cite says, essentially, "well, they have some dairy in them, but not enough to make them dairy within the meaning of Jewish law. But that could change at any minute, so check with us first." The site is done by the Orthodox Union (OU), which is the mainstream certifier of products as kosher; there are Jews who think that OU is too liberal. My guess is that Oreos in the UK (where my site is) may be produced slightly differently in the U.S.

Planning on coming to NJ March 22rd.
Assuming there isn't some storm that f's things up.

Regarding Muslims / Jews: last time I was in NYC I ate a hot dog from a street vendor (same as I always did)....but it tasted horrible. IMO Halal hot dogs don't have the same spices...garlic or salt content: TASTE . Give m a Kosher dog,,,,or pass!~

As for Hydrox....who the hell cares. Toy's R Us is BK ...Hydtrox is gone / Oreo's survive & live on.

Long live Oreo's!

MO

New York street vendor hot dogs are typically terrible, whether kosher, halal or whatever. Don't judge all hot dogs by what a street vendor sells you.

this is why you do not start weather threads 7-8 days out with literally nothing to talk about since models analysis is worthless at this point
I usually don't - I already said why I started the thread. So, it'll be quiet for another day or two. Big deal. You can always post more about Oreos. Or ignore the thread. But model analysis is not "worthless" - it's just more uncertain.

I love all the weather info you guys have to offer.

Always interesting!

Reactions: RU848789
I remember 6 inches in NB on a 4/6-what I thought was my freshman year at Cook (same year as you)-could have been 1982 but I only remember 6 inches.

I remember 6 inches in NB on a 4/6-what I thought was my freshman year at Cook (same year as you)-could have been 1982 but I only remember 6 inches.
I thought it was 9 inches on 4/5. My daughter was born on the 4th, and there was a lot of snow on the ground when we brought her home. Snow stuck around for a while too, as it was cold. I'm sure numbers has all the records though.

Last night's 00Z model runs all show a storm approaching from the Pac NW to the Ohio Valley early next week and then some sort of energy transfer to a coastal low (a Miller B scenario), but the tracks and timings and intensities of the coastal low vary considerably as one might expect at 5-6 days out. Euro is a moderate to significant snowstorm for CNJ/NNJ with mostly rain south of 195, UK and CMC are major snowstorms for most, and the GFS is an odd looking two storm scenario with rain and then mixed precip for the 2nd low on Weds/Thurs (other models show a single storm on Tuesday into Weds).

Key point remains that there is a pretty good consensus on a significant to major winter storm with uncertain outcomes. Everything from all rain to a mixed bag to mostly snow to a complete miss to our south are still on the table, although the all rain and complete miss scenarios are the least likely. And as per the last 3 storms, timing and surface temps are important, as snow will have a hard time accumulating during the day in late March unless there's pretty good intensity of the snowfall.

Last edited:
Reactions: LouDawgRU03
One thing to remember about the 1982 storm was that it stayed very cold for several days afterward.The Yankees had to hire people to shovel out Yankee Stadium in order to begin their season,which they did with a doubleheader on Sunday.

It was also 2 days after the beginning of DST,so you had the oddity of seeing snowfall with daylight at 7 PM.

Let's put it this way - it'll be an upset if we see 60F before April. Relatively cold and potentially stormy pattern is expected to continue through the end of March. Anyone remember 4/6/82? Sophomore year, 13" of snow in NB - insane day.
I remember the snowstorm in 82...my first daughter was exactly 1 month old on 4/7 and it had been in the mid-60s when we brought her home from the hospital in early March. I seem to recall 6-8 inches of snow and we were living in Edison at the time.

Yes, I was a freshman at Cook, crazy. We must have had some big rain storms that year as well as I remember doing some mud slides near Voorhees

I thought it was 9 inches on 4/5. My daughter was born on the 4th, and there was a lot of snow on the ground when we brought her home. Snow stuck around for a while too, as it was cold. I'm sure numbers has all the records though.

One thing to remember about the 1982 storm was that it stayed very cold for several days afterward.The Yankees had to hire people to shovel out Yankee Stadium in order to begin their season,which they did with a doubleheader on Sunday.

It was also 2 days after the beginning of DST,so you had the oddity of seeing snowfall with daylight at 7 PM.

Went back and found a post of mine from an old weather board where I said 10" not 13". Might've been thinking of 3/13/93 where we got 13" of snow/sleet. 10" makes more sense with Central Park recording 9.6" and Newark 11".

Regardless it was an insane storm for April with temps falling into the 20s in the wee hours of the morning with rain changing to an eventually dry snow and blizzard conditions.

NYC set a record low that day of 21F and then set records the next 2 days with 21F and 25F - unheard of snow and cold for April since weather records have been kept (since 1869 in NYC).

My lasting memory of that storm was the raging snowball fight we had that evening across George Street between students from the Quads and the River Dorms, with the few cars passing by being completely pummeled. Pretty sure we had all been drinking, lol.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/04/07/nyregion/rare-april-blizzard-punishes-metropolitan-new-york.html

http://www.nycmetroweather.com/foru...l-6-1982-blizzarda-true-storm-of-the-century/

I like starting the threads because my guess is I'm the only one who goes back to them after the fact, routinely and uses them - and it's way easier to find them if I start them (try searching for posts instead of threads).
Would be easier to find them if you had a recognizable avatar

Last edited:
I started my career in public accounting as an auditor for Deloitte. This was back in the early to mid-90's. Sunshine Biscuits was one of my clients at the time. Their administrative offices where we did the audits were attached to the bakery in the Sayreville facility. I used to love that engagement. One, because the people there were great to deal with, but more importantly, they used to take us out on 'tours' of the bakery pretty much every day we were there. The bakery was enormous - the size of a giant warehouse. We were literally taking the cookies and other stuff they made right of the conveyor belts as it came out of the ovens. It was a pretty cool process to watch it go from the raw ingredient stage to the end product. It was a pretty mechanized process and it smelled great in there. They also made Cheese Its, among many other things, as well. Fond memories...

I remember that location. Smelled great.

Reactions: Ridge 22
My question in this thread would be "Would it be safe for me to buy Ranger Tickets for 3/20 or will the weather will blow up the subways, PATH, NJ Transit, etc?

New York street vendor hot dogs are typically terrible, whether kosher, halal or whatever. Don't judge all hot dogs by what a street vendor sells you.

Hopefully...they've improved.

Going to see Rocktopia on Broadway the end of March ....not sure where we're eating - Sardi's?
But if booked, there's always the kosher hot dog (if I can find it)...or maybe Nathan's?

MO
PS Any info (hopefully pro) on the musical -play?

ADVERTISEMENT