ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major winter storm 3/20-21?

Snow has now started here (Cumberland County, Vineland/Millville border). Just a dusting for now but its still early of course.

1" on the ground an 31F; only got about 1/4" the past hour with light/moderate snow; streets now mostly black again as we've had some melting. Need greater rates to cover them, which look to be coming, based on radar filling in.

Finally started snowing in Yardville. We had several hours of sleet yesterday, and a couple hours of sleet & freezing rain this morning. Grass and stairs already encased.

Steady snow in Cranford for the last couple of hours. Grass areas pretty much covered but roads still OK.

Snow has been light in Bridgewater for a while now. Only about half inch dusting on grass, very light coating on patio, and roads are just wet (but were salted last night).

Northern Ocean County at the beach is just transitioning into snow after having rain/sleet for the last couple hours. I've got a good coating of slush on the driveway and walkways already and the roads are starting to turn a gray color with the slush.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Swedesboro. Momentarily changed over to wet snow only to revert back to a rain/freezing rain 5 minutes later

Snow has been light in Bridgewater for a while now. Only about half inch dusting on grass, very light coating on patio, and roads are just wet (but were salted last night).

Same here in New Providence. Eerily like the pattern 2 weeks ago, but I'm hoping for a major bust this time around.

Abro
Keep me up to date on Cedar Grove, Montclair area.
I’m flying back tomorrow evening

Will do. As of now, the Cedar Grove forecast on my phone app is for it to keep snowing until 3am Thursday. Coming down hard, sticking everywhere, Pompton Ave still fairly clear as they heavily pre salted. My local street is covered.

Reactions: zappaa
Hmmm .........

somebody-forgot-to-post-things-that-bounce-thursday-15-gifs-10.gif

0d72afe775ed3952d7b3ea4e3ef1b88f.gif

giphy.gif
I like this bust potential instead

So about 20 minutes after I posted above, the shit got real! Coming down moderately heavy right now.

Here's a quick shot from 10AM when it was just started:

LJ4ZbgZ.jpg

And here's the temp - #'s, that's actually an old metal thermometer that belonged to my parents - don't see those anymore:

noVT49C.jpg

This would have been a great winter to open Spanky's French Toast Emporium.
Damnit, another missed opportunity!

about an inch on grassy surfaces in Belle Mead, light snow, not sticking to pavement or sidewalks, sticking only to cars and grass....rates are very light

FYI, the really good news about higher ratio, drier snow is that it will be much less likely to stick to trees/power lines, so I think widespread power outages are less likely.
I knew this would be the case because my generator fired right up when tested this morning. If it had not started, we’d be having heavy, wetter snow and trees and power lines coming down everywhere.

Will do. As of now, the Cedar Grove forecast on my phone app is for it to keep snowing until 3am Thursday. Coming down hard, sticking everywhere, Pompton Ave still fairly clear as they heavily pre salted. My local street is covered.
I am one town over in Little Falls and pavement is still dry.

Not really accumulating much in Hamilton, seems like less sidewalk and road coverage now then about a hour ago. I know its early but this dosens seem like its going to amount to much

So far, basically nada here in Hillsborough. Still seeing the tops of blades of grass poking through the top of maybe a 1" snow layer, and nothing on the roads or pre-salted driveway. Snowing lightly right now.

Not complaining, because I'm not itching to bust out the snow blower. But my wife will likely lose a day of pay for staying home, since it's doubtful they close the Edison office at this point.

Reactions: bac2therac
Newark ...snowing steady...all trees/grass/sidewalks getting covered but not terrible yet. Streets ok but getting slushy with snow sticking and salt/plows trying to keep up.

When is it supposed to get bad? I’m in Hamilton.
Would I be crazy to head to Dave and Busters in Philly at 4? It seems to be really nothing too much here.

Freehold/Jackson border - not much of anything on the ground , light wintry mix coming down. (From a snow lovers perspective)

1" on the ground an 31F; only got about 1/4" the past hour with light/moderate snow; streets now mostly black again as we've had some melting. Need greater rates to cover them, which look to be coming, based on radar filling in.
1.5" OTG as of 11:30 am, so 1/2" in the last 90 minutes - been mostly light to moderate. 14Z HRRR only had me at 1.5" at this point and 12Z NAM had me around an inch or so, which is pretty impressive actually, although HRRR only has me at about 9" at the end and NAM at almost 11", which would be fine, but maybe a little disappointing, given the forecast of 10-15" (and 12-18" for awhile yesterday).

NWS-Philly updated map from 10:40 am - mostly unchanged (NB actually up from 14 to 15"). Obviously, they're seeing things differentl from many others - we'll know who was right in about 12 hours. Here's their thinking...

National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1106 AM EDT Wed Mar 21 2018

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
1030AM update: Increased snow amts N central NJ through ptns of
e central and se PA down thru e MD and srn-central DE, and then
tonight coastal NJ Atlc nwd. WSW is out. 1030 AM STS is posted
and reminder...only 8A today to 8A Thursday. We know its struggling
to snow snow north of I80 and we haven`t changed amts there and
sweat it out as models insist it will snow pretty good there
this aftn/early tonight. We have not changed PHl amt at all
until we know the reality at 230 PM.

29468454_10213512867330101_5573324153710182400_n.jpg

Finally a break here in Hoboken, just light snow after the heavy stuff was coming for a while. Went down into my lobby and looked like a few inches on the sidewalks/roads around the parked cars, but everything is mostly clear in the middle of the street from cars passing through.

Mt Holly still standing strong...in fact increasing amounts...still 15 for New Brunswick...wtf is going on. They will either be heroes or they will have egg on their face.

it might happen but its incredibly bullish right now

listen everyone we have a looooooooooooong way to go...we will have accumulating snows until at least midnight and later for the eastern and northeastern section of NJ and to NYC.

Snow rates have been unimpressive thus far and thats why some areas are not getting much accumulation. Some areas are doing better than others and that will be the case for this storm. Expect rates to increase by 2 PM and especially after 4 PM...the meat of the accumulations will come from then until at least 10PM...remember the issue is going to be getting heavy enough rates to stick so further snowfall can pile up. Once that gets going, you are off to the races and then after sunset its much easier to pile things up.

So while things may seem tame and like a bust currently, do know things will eventually deteriorate later this afternoon for the rush so if you have anything to do or want to make that last minute Shop Rite run for some Katie O Reilly Soda Bread do it before 2 PM.

We can all keep our fingers crossed that this busts and I think in terms of pavement accumulations, it will be much less than on the grass the storm is just getting started

Wished we had half a day of school today so we didn't have to use a snow day

in the 70s and 80s...we most certainly would have went to school today and given a half day if it got worse. Too much hype and overanalyzation these days. Yes we did used to go to school with an inch or snow actually on the pavement

ADVERTISEMENT