ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mark Few

Anyone who thinks someone should get fired for a DUI is a hypocrite. Given just two drinks makes you legally impaired I do not know of anyone who can say they have not driven 'impaired'. Luckily he did not get into an accident.

Anyone who thinks someone should get fired for a DUI is a hypocrite. Given just two drinks makes you legally impaired I do not know of anyone who can say they have not driven 'impaired'. Luckily he did not get into an accident.
Ok buddy. Keep driving drunk.

I don't drink.

Our laws are too lenient. If you kill some DUI you get charged with murder. If you don't end up killing anyone you don't get charged with murder. Shouldn't people who drive drunk get an attempted murder charge?

Few 1) lied to police and said he drank nothing 2) refused to exit vehicle 3) refused sobriety testing 4) told cops he's the Gonzaga bball coach in attempt for them to let him go. If that doesn't justify his dismissal, I don't know what does. But you're right, cause he coaches Gonzaga, very little if anything will likely happen. Sad.

Mark Few did not just have two drinks. He blew a .12 blood alcohol level, which is plain drunk, not just tipsy from a couple of beers.

He deserves all he will get, and a lot more. No sympathy from me. But of course they won't fire him.

As an aside, I don't think RU should have Ray Rice on the big screen promoting the football team either. I have no tolerance for bad behavior and don't buy into "second chances" excuses. Not a good look for an otherwise fine university.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Mark Few did not just have two drinks. He blew a .12 blood alcohol level, which is plain drunk, not just tipsy from a couple of beers.

Simple BAC suggests a 170 lb man having 4 beers over a few hours would blow a 0.12. Depending on your alcohol tolerance that could be anything from mild impairment to mildly drunk.

most drunk trauma patients I see in hospital are in the 0.2-0.4 range

That may be true of the older generation, but for younger folks it’s different. Uber/Lyft etc have made going out and not being reckless much easier.

as someone who did this when I was younger, I can say that the younger generation has a more responsible option and they are using it (not everyone of course, but plenty choose to do the responsible thing).

No one should be fired for making a mistake where no one was harmed.
Had he hurt someone he would be in jail.
I’m sure he will lose his license, fined and have to attend an alcohol awareness class.
Repeat offense with no injuries is a stay in rehab.
So he doesn’t get fired because he was lucky. Fire him if he was unlucky and killed someone.

people are killed everyday from drunk driving. It doesn’t have to be this way.

Reactions: Unionst
Who's the President of Gonzaga ? The AD ? Etc. Mark Few is the face of that school, is a role model for student athletes, etc. I would hope he faces strict penalties but I'm not holding my breath.

On a semi-related note, while I'm not a Notre Dame fan, I do give them a lot of credit for firing O'Leary bc he lied on his resume. They could have swept it under the rug, but they did the right thing.

Mark "Had a" Few
to many.
Yes he made a major mistake that could have had terrible consequences, but many of us have made different mistakes while driving that could have resulted in tragedy .
Punish the man, condemn his action, but don't hang him because of what could have happened.
If you feel you have the right to condemn Few , if you ever checked a text message or sent one when driving, you deserve to be hanged as well.
Sending/receiving text messages while driving can cause accidents and some accidents have tragic results.
Same goes for cell phone calls , they could take your attention from what traffic is around you resulting in an accident that could cause someone to be seriously injured or possible death.

Sending/receiving text messages while driving can cause accidents and some accidents have tragic results.
Same goes for cell phone calls , they could take your attention from what traffic is around you resulting in an accident that could cause someone to be seriously injured or possible death.
that kind of kills my argument

It is an embarrassing moment for him and the school. I am not a mark few expert but has he done good in his life? Has he helped people? Has he helped Gonzaga and his community more than they have helped him? Maybe we should give people a break from time to time based on their history. Arrest him, fine him, take away his license but firing him would be ridiculous based on what I know about him.

On top of that if you fire him he will be hired at another school the next week maybe for more money and Gonzaga would fall in line with all the other WAC schools. It would be a stupid decision for Gonzaga. Stupid is an understatement

It is an embarrassing moment for him and the school. I am not a mark few expert but has he done good in his life? Has he helped people? Has he helped Gonzaga and his community more than they have helped him? Maybe we should give people a break from time to time based on their history. Arrest him, fine him, take away his license but firing him would be ridiculous based on what I know about him.

On top of that if you fire him he will be hired at another school the next week maybe for more money and Gonzaga would fall in line with all the other WAC schools. It would be a stupid decision for Gonzaga. Stupid is an understatement
I wouldn't assume that whenever Few leaves Gonzaga that they "would fall in line with all the other WAC schools."

Few's predecessor took the Zags to the elite eight in his second season then took a B1G job.

Something tells me that Gonzaga would make a homerun hire to replace Few.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Few's predecessor took the Zags to the elite eight in his second season then took a B1G job.

Dan Monson only had the job for 2 years. Missed the NCAA tourney his first season then had a cinderella run to the Elite 8 in his 2nd season. He then went to Minnesota and had 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 8 seasons, was fired, and has had 1 NCAA tournament appearance in the last 14 years at CS Fullerton.

Few has been at Gonzaga for 22 seasons and has never missed an NCAA tournament, I mean except for the one that didn't happen. Including Monson's Elite 8, Gonzaga had a total of 2 NCAA tournament appearances in their history prior to Mark Few.

Dan Monson only had the job for 2 years. Missed the NCAA tourney his first season then had a cinderella run to the Elite 8 in his 2nd season. He then went to Minnesota and had 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 8 seasons, was fired, and has had 1 NCAA tournament appearance in the last 14 years at CS Fullerton.

Few has been at Gonzaga for 22 seasons and has never missed an NCAA tournament, I mean except for the one that didn't happen. Including Monson's Elite 8, Gonzaga had a total of 2 NCAA tournament appearances in their history prior to Mark Few.
Monson might have become what Few is for all we know. He chased the 💰 and went to Minnesota who was trying to get out from under Clem Haskins' scandals.

Monson should have stayed at Gonzaga.

Monson's first season at Gonzaga set a, then, school record for wins. They won the WCC & he was named was named the WCC Coach of the Year.

Anyway, my point was that it's not a forgone conclusion that Gonzaga is going to fall off dramatically whenever Few leaves. Gonzaga has a track record of making good hires & promoting the right people.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Monson might have become what Few is for all we know. He chased the 💰 and went to Minnesota who was trying to get out from under Clem Haskins' scandals.

Monson should have stayed at Gonzaga.

Monson's first season at Gonzaga set a, then, school record for wins. They won the WCC & he was named was named the WCC Coach of the Year.

Anyway, my point was that it's not a forgone conclusion that Gonzaga is going to fall off dramatically whenever Few leaves. Gonzaga has a track record of making good hires & promoting the right people.

there is pretty ample evidence at this point Monson is not a good basketball coach despite his 1 tourney run at Gonzaga.

Also while Gonzaga is currently in a great spot they have made 1 great coaching hire ever so not sure I am going to assume they would do well with their next chance.

ADVERTISEMENT