ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mark Pavelich RIP

Damn good player.
The Russians admitted later they had no idea Broten, Christian, Pavelich and Johnson were world class forwards.
Yes it was a miracle, but those guys were the real deal
RIP Mark

Damn good player.
The Russians admitted later they had no idea Broten, Christian, Pavelich and Johnson were world class forwards.
Yes it was a miracle, but those guys were the real deal
RIP Mark
They couldn't keep up with Johnson.

The movie was good, but the documentary was much better IMO. How Brooks compared their top D to Stan Laurel and how the team was devastated after the loss and how it ruined their lives.

The movie was good, but the documentary was much better IMO. How Brooks compared their top D to Stan Laurel and how the team was devastated after the loss and how it ruined their lives.
One of the best sports documentaries ever, described perfectly what the country was going through, this country was down on its dumps and it needed this moment and these kids delivered it.

Still the most shocking sporting event in my life . I remember that game was shown on tape delay on a Friday night . There was buzz that the Americans pulled it off earlier in the day.

Reactions: Turtle31
I remember Roger Grimsbey and Bill Beutel do a "Breaking News" thing on Channel 7 to report on the USA winning. Whatta shame game wasn't on Live TV!

I recently read an article on Mark Pavelich and he unfortunately had I believe mental issues and may have even been jailed.

His life unfortunately took a downward spiral.

Is he the first of te players to pass away?

RIP....a great plater who I also remember with the Rangers.

I was in Erie Pennsylvania on a Pirates promotional caravan with Jim Rooker and Manny Sanguillan.
We watched from a Holiday Inn.
After we manhandled the Czechs, I knew we were good

I was in Erie Pennsylvania on a Pirates promotional caravan with Jim Rooker and Manny Sanguillan.
We were good. But still needed a miracle that we got

Oh man very sad.... my memory was when he scored 5 goals as a Ranger at MSG on hat night! I was 12 yrs old, at the game and thousands of hats thrown on to the ice. I kept my hat and wore it for years later.

RIP, sorry to see this. God bless him, he is in a better place.

I remember Roger Grimsbey and Bill Beutel do a "Breaking News" thing on Channel 7 to report on the USA winning. Whatta shame game wasn't on Live TV!

I recently read an article on Mark Pavelich and he unfortunately had I believe mental issues and may have even been jailed.

His life unfortunately took a downward spiral.

Is he the first of te players to pass away?

RIP....a great plater who I also remember with the Rangers.
Bob Suter passed away in 2014.

I remember when Pav first came to the Rangers and was asked about Manhattan.
He said the best thing about NY is it was a lot closer to fishing and hunting than he would have thought.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I remember when Pav first came to the Rangers and was asked about Manhattan.
He said the best thing about NY is it was a lot closer to fishing and hunting than he would have thought.
Zap, I imagine that was the most shocking/surprising sports moment of your lifetime ? Was there ever a team or player that you went up against and then later on it was like “I can’t believe that team became champions “ or “that guy won lcs or ws mvp .”

I was at MSG for a Ranger game when the USA played the Czech's. When they announced the score of the game (7-2?) most around me seemed as much shocked as happy. The day of the USSR game I drove home from work without the radio on and didn't turn on the TV until the delayed broadcast.

Sad that Pav's later life was rough. According to the folks at WFAN, He had some serious criminal charges against him dropped because he was determined to be mentally unfit to stand trial.

At first glance I thought this was the fellow who did Rutgers sports pregame shows, Mike Pavlichko.

Zap, I imagine that was the most shocking/surprising sports moment of your lifetime ? Was there ever a team or player that you went up against and then later on it was like “I can’t believe that team became champions “ or “that guy won lcs or ws mvp .”
No, because when it comes down to it there are always underlying reasons.
In the case of the 1980 Olympic team, we were the 2nd best “amateur” team in the world, so you can win one game, especially after the soviets took out Tretiak (sp) like idiots.
The movie Money Ball is a joke, you watch an entire movie based on analytics but they fail to mention Hudson, Zito, Mulder and Koch.... that’s why that team won.
Miracle Mets, Seaver, Koosman, Gentry, Ryan....no miracle.

I was at MSG for a Ranger game when the USA played the Czech's. When they announced the score of the game (7-2?) most around me seemed as much shocked as happy. The day of the USSR game I drove home from work without the radio on and didn't turn on the TV until the delayed broadcast.

Sad that Pav's later life was rough. According to the folks at WFAN, He had some serious criminal charges against him dropped because he was determined to be mentally unfit to stand trial.

Was at a party that Friday night. Driving over I heard on the radio I heard the USA was tied but they didn't give a final. This was Massachusetts, so there was even more intense interest because of the BU Four. Heard the final score but the game still hadn't been broadcast of TV. When they did it was segments and they would switch to other events. There was a TV on, and (funny) each time the hockey came on every male in the place congregated in front of the set.

That Sunday my club lacrosse team was having a preseason scrimmage with Williams in their field house. Half way through the Williams coach walked to the middle of the field and announced the final with Finland. Roars from all corners of the facility.

Reactions: knightfan7
According the NYPost yesterday Barry Beck had some harsh words for the NHL in general and the Rangers in particular about their lack of effort to help Pavelich. It sounded as though perhaps he did not have all the information available particularly when criticizing the lack of involvement of John Davidson.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
No, because when it comes down to it there are always underlying reasons.
In the case of the 1980 Olympic team, we were the 2nd best “amateur” team in the world, so you can win one game, especially after the soviets took out Tretiak (sp) like idiots.
The movie Money Ball is a joke, you watch an entire movie based on analytics but they fail to mention Hudson, Zito, Mulder and Koch.... that’s why that team won.
Miracle Mets, Seaver, Koosman, Gentry, Ryan....no miracle.
If Zito, Mulder and Koch were what they turned out, then would not have been on the team.

The Pavelich story is a sad one for sure. Yet knuckleheads continue to make excuses for Tom Wilson. I happen to think Wilson is a very good player...but this crap is just... ...crap.

I was a full on hockey addict in 1979-80 watching the Flyers go 35 games in a row without a loss and watching team USA.
Cant wait to get back to beer league hockey...my tournament team uni is the Devils uni with Samuel L Jackson on the front... We look good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT