ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Matthew Hurricane

14449027_1195900120453572_6279351801587158861_n.png

Models continuing to turn it up the coast and then after that it remains to be determined where it goes. Looking at Columbus Day weekend right now if it were to impact.

I'm heading to the Outer Banks that weekend so it must be true. I've been evacuated five times in the past. $$$$

I just moved back to Manasquan Monday. It would figure
Newest models predicting the lowest pressure ever....in your driveway. LOL

But to be honest when I rest the thread title first thought was...what position, what school and does he have us in his top three?

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Latest model runs are east. There will be zero consistency until, max, 72 hours out.

Let's not let Tango do this for the next 12 days.

RU4Real, #'s, or anyone else that is knowledgeable and has the time and interest, I'm flying to Aruba Saturday, think it will move west of there by then?

TIA!

But to be honest when I rest the thread title first thought was...what position, what school and does he have us in his top three?
And I wanted the guy.

RU4Real, #'s, or anyone else that is knowledgeable and has the time and interest, I'm flying to Aruba Saturday, think it will move west of there by then?

TIA!

Current guidance shows the storm tracking 100 miles north of Aruba, headed west, in the Friday timeframe. By Saturday PM it will be 200 miles WNW of the island. If current tracking verifies then your flight should be okay. Damage to Aruba should be fairly minimal.

Reactions: RUSomerset
Latest model runs are east. There will be zero consistency until, max, 72 hours out.

Let's not let Tango do this for the next 12 days.
"I'll take great quotes from Animal House for $200, Alex."

It's worth keeping an eye on

It's worth keeping an eye on it if you live in Jamaica/Cuba/Hispaniola, as it is forecast to turn north in a few days. Where it turns north (and if it survives the interaction with South America - many storms this far south die untimely deaths) will have a huge impact on where it ends up, so to speculate on where it will go beyond Day 4 or 5 is really unwarranted and to imply it's going to be here or near here 10 days from now is borderline irresponsible.

204348W5_NL_sm.gif

I was thinking that's a great name for a MLB.

So you're saying I should make sure it's clear so News12 can put up their camera like they did after Sandy?

It's worth keeping an eye on it if you live in Jamaica/Cuba/Hispaniola, as it is forecast to turn north in a few days. Where it turns north (and if it survives the interaction with South America - many storms this far south die untimely deaths) will have a huge impact on where it ends up, so to speculate on where it will go beyond Day 4 or 5 is really unwarranted and to imply it's going to be here or near here 10 days from now is borderline irresponsible.

204348W5_NL_sm.gif
So you're saying I should return the milk and the bread?

a day or two ago the multiple track chart had one path diving into the cape may area, just like Sandy..... we do not want that again, lost power for a week, some areas much more, with that wind....

not seeing it on the latest, anyway.

The Euro rocked for Sandy and was better for the recent Hermine storm when it counted most - the Saturday runs of the Euro showed it going much further east before the retrograde loop. Euro crushed this week's forecast with the cutoff upper level low in the Ohio Valley (the reason for the rain being possible at OSU on Sat). So, all things being equal, go with the Euro.

Matthew is already a hurricane and Eastern Cuba and Haiti are both likely in for a world of hurt from 100+ mph winds and torrential rains (and it could be stronger by Monday landfall as conditions will be favorable for strengthening, perhaps explosively); Jamaica may just be missed by the worst of the storm. Where it goes after that is a guess. A close call for the east coast is possible, but will hopefully be a miss out to sea after raking the Bahamas and maybe the OBX - too early to tell though. Solutions range from the Gulf to Florida to an east coaster to a complete miss offshore. Stay tuned.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/J...rn-in-caribbean-uncertainty-reigns-in-longter

203708W_sm.gif

Reactions: Tango Two
I have my own guns. Always on the lookout for a good cannoli.
In my current carb-starved state, I saw "cannoli" and drooled while my brain shut out the movie reference entirely. In any event, if Matthew or related bad weather decides to pay us a visit during the Michigan tailgate, I may have to reschedule my meat delivery (@ruhudsonfan).

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
In my current carb-starved state, I saw "cannoli" and drooled while my brain shut out the movie reference entirely. In any event, if Matthew or related bad weather decides to pay us a visit during the Michigan tailgate, I may have to reschedule my meat delivery (@ruhudsonfan).

Trying to follow along in this thread but is it looking like bad weather the day of michigan

Trying to follow along in this thread but is it looking like bad weather the day of michigan

Fingers crossed re: Matthew. The old RU gang circled the UM game at last year's get together (OSU game) on the Banks. Obviously, for us, it's not so much about winning. Next weekend we're again converging, for the UM game and general festivities, from CA, from NC, from NY & NJ. We'll make do. But really hoping for some seasonal and dry weather for our Friday night dinner and Saturday tailgating. RU football on the Banks in October with old friends is ... the ... best.

As feared, Matthew is strengthening explosively. Special statement was just issued showing surface winds up from 80 mph at 11 am to 100 mph by 1:20 am with the last pass of the hurricane hunter aircraft. Could be a major hurricane by the time it comes close to or hits one of Jamaica/Cuba/Haiti and it if doesn't get sheared apart too much, it could still be cat 2/cat 3 entering the Bahamas. Still way too far out to know where it goes from there - basically anywhere from MS to FL to NC to a complete miss.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT4+shtml/300518.shtml?text

As feared, Matthew is strengthening explosively. Special statement was just issued showing surface winds up from 80 mph at 11 am to 100 mph by 1:20 am with the last pass of the hurricane hunter aircraft. Could be a major hurricane by the time it comes close to or hits one of Jamaica/Cuba/Haiti and it if doesn't get sheared apart too much, it could still be cat 2/cat 3 entering the Bahamas. Still way too far out to know where it goes from there - basically anywhere from MS to FL to NC to a complete miss.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT4+shtml/300518.shtml?text

As expected, the special 2 am update is in with a major increase in forecast intensity, given that the starting point, now, is already up to 100 mph - forecast is now for a Cat 3 storm with 120 mph winds in the next 2-3 days and it could get even stronger than that as conditions (low shear, very warm sea surface temps, minimal dry air) are conducive for strengthening.

So, it looks like another round of watchful waiting with a hurricane that could impact our area 7-8 days from now. Matthew has gone from a ragged tropical wave early Wednesday morning to a 60 mph tropical storm at 11 am Wednesday to an explosively strengthening Cat 2 hurricane as of 2 am Friday, with winds up to 100 mph (from 80 mph just 3 hours ago!) and pressure down to 979 millibars, which is a major drop of 4 mbar in 3 hours (and 14 mbar in 9 hours).

Areas from Jamaica to Eastern Cuba to Haiti are really now at risk from what will likely be a major hurricane with winds in excess of 110 mph in a couple of days when it nears those areas (by Monday). There will also likely be torrential rains and major storm surges for anywhere the storm hits. And then by Tuesday, the storm, which may not weaken much, after it approaches/crosses Cuba from the south (traversing the minimal length of land), will take aim at the Bahamas.

Where it goes after the Bahamas is very uncertain, as models are showing everything from a jog to the west, into the Gulf of Mexico, with landfall anywhere from MS to AL to FL, to a direct hit on Florida, to a run up the coast to NC to a near miss and out to sea off the east coast. It's unlikely, but possible, for Matthew to come up the east coast (perhaps after going inland across NC) and then impact our area by late next week.

PLEASE DO NOT BELIEVE ANYONE WHO SAYS THEY KNOW WE'RE GOING TO BE HIT BY THIS STORM. Of course, it's possible, but nobody on the planet can predict a hurricane's path and intensity that far out. Stay tuned.

The Weather Underground and the NHC are the best sources of information for tropical systems.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/J...rn-in-caribbean-uncertainty-reigns-in-longter

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/173801.shtml?5day#contents

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
ADVERTISEMENT