ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Memphis pushing hard for Big12 Membership

knightfan7

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2003
Manasquan, NJ
According to documents obtained by ESPN, Memphis is making a case for membership. They have promised to make a $500 million investment in academics and athletics infrastructure. They also have a big time booster in the FedEx Chairman, Fred Smith, who in a letter to the Big12 wrote...

"In support of [Memphis'] Big 12 aspirations, we have researched college conference sponsorships and are prepared to become a major Big 12 sponsor of football and basketball." He also wrote that FedEx would be prepared to sponsor a Big12 Championship game.

Houston, UCF, and Colorado State have also explored membership. No mention of UConn or Cincinnati in the article.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-houston-memphis-ucf-colorado-state-expansion

Goes to show how important a huge corporate sponsor is. One would think that a state like NJ could produce one, but guess not.

Reactions: soundcrib
That would annoy me as a shareholder of FDX (of which Smith owns 7.3% of the company). I wouldn't appreciate company resources being used in an un-economic way to support the hobby of the chairman. If the sponsorship were economic, they would do it anyway.

I believe Cinncy has an inside track as their president and Boren from OU have a pretty good relationship. I think OU really wants expansion and stability. If UT blocks it OU could be looking to move on.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Eight votes are needed to expand, meaning three votes are needed to block it. According to the UConn article, currently Texas, Texas Tech, and TCU are opposed.

OU isn't going anywhere until the GOR is much nearer its 2025 expiration. At that time the Big XII will either be diner or dinner. My guess is diner, at the expense of the ACC.

Last edited:
Every time I hear this stuff come up, I am just so happy that we already have a seat at the grown-ups table and can just sit back, enjoy our drinks, and watch it all play out while knowing that we already landed in the best place possible for us. I can't imagine the angst I would be feeling otherwise.

I don't blame UCONN for looking/hoping for a lifeline, that part makes perfect sense.

I wonder what joining the B12 (if invited) would do to their travel budget. There just isn't much, in conference, that's reasonably close. That is the part I don't get.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
That would annoy me as a shareholder of FDX (of which Smith owns 7.3% of the company). I wouldn't appreciate company resources being used in an un-economic way to support the hobby of the chairman. If the sponsorship were economic, they would do it anyway.

Do you think this would really have an effect on the profit/loss statement? We're talking FedEx here, not some struggling startup.

Besides FedEx has been a long time supporter of the city and university no? Perhaps this is just a continuation of a long time policy?

That was the first thing I thought of just reading the blurbs posted. It's public company not a private one or his personal piggy bank to use for his disposal.

Do you think this would really have an effect on the profit/loss statement? We're talking FedEx here, not some struggling startup.

Besides FedEx has been a long time supporter of the city and university no? Perhaps this is just a continuation of a long time policy?

Smith made a similar overture to the old Big East as an incentive to take Memphis. I think he offered to fund a renovation of the Liberty Bowl, sponsor a BECCG if the BE went to 12 and $10m in advertising.

If it was a private company I'd be more forgiving of it. As a public one, I don't see it as appropriate. Who's to say a B12 sponsorship is the best use of its marketing dollars. I mean they don't sponsor the Orange Bowl anymore. Maybe it could be used elsewhere or with a conference that has more exposure than a Texas centric B12 but they wouldn't because the CEO has a personal thing for Memphis. I'm sure they have a nice relationship with the city and he doesn't have to go this far to maintain it. This seems more like a personal thing. He can do what he likes with his personal funds obviously but I think this kind of action is stepping out of his bounds as a public company CEO.

I don't blame UCONN for looking/hoping for a lifeline, that part makes perfect sense.

I wonder what joining the B12 (if invited) would do to their travel budget. There just isn't much, in conference, that's reasonably close. That is the part I don't get.

Well, there is West Virginia! (And, that would be their closest conference mate.)

The only way I see it making sense is if they believe UConn gets them enough East Coast exposure to justify it. I'd think that's pretty debatable.

Eight votes are needed to expand, meaning three votes are needed to block it. According to the UConn article, currently Texas, Texas Tech, and TCU are opposed.

OU isn't going anywhere until the GOR is much nearer its 2025 expiration. At that time the Big XII will either be diner or dinner. My guess is diner, at the expense of the ACC.
I still think the B12 is the one in most trouble. I don't see the B12 poaching anyone from the ACC, or any other P5 for that matter, without the B10 or SEC hitting first. So they don't control their own destiny. The ACC can probably get a better deal the next time the contracts come up for renewal as well, as opposed to this past round where Swofford didn't realize just how hot the market was getting. So without help from the B10/SEC, the B12 is more likely dinner than the other way around.

Really though as long as Texas doesn't leave, I still wonder what are the alternatives for the "jail breakers." OU was turned down by the PAC12 without Texas. Would the SEC/B10 take them without Texas? and what about Ok. State? Same for Kansas. So yea some schools may want to leave near the end of the GOR but they also need a destination that will accept them.

according to the 1 WV guy who likes to talk about expansion (although he is not always correct) he believes UConn, Cincy, UCF, and BYU have the inside track.

They seem to like UConn for hoops and olympic sports to allow the B12 to have a league in sports where they are struggling now (ie. Lacrosse and Men's Soccer).

You wouldn't be annoyed if you actually owned FDX stock. With the amount of shareholder value he's created, Fred Smith can do whatever he wants.

Sports Day

College Football Analysis: Texas and Oklahoma have eyes on "greener pastures"

Fox Sports analysts Bruce Feldman and Stewart Mandell were joined by CBS sports Dennis Dodd to discuss Big 12 expansion on the most recent addition of THE AUDIBLE.

A few excerpts: "I think Texas and Oklahoma are will be gone and think there will be an entity, perhaps named the Big 12 (UCF,BYU and or Cincinnati) in it.

Dodd said "I talked to an Oklahoma person this week, he gave a little detail on they were 30 minutes from going to the Pac-12 in 2010.

Dodd thinks Texas and Oklahoma might be in play for the Pac-12 again.

If not Oklahoma may go to the SEC but Texas to the B1G (academics important to the school).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Sports Day

Fox Sports analysts Bruce Feldman and Stewart Mandell were joined by CBS sports Dennis Dodd to discuss Big 12 expansion on the most recent addition of THE AUDIBLE.

A few excerpts: "I think Texas and Oklahoma are will be gone and think there will be an entity, perhaps named the Big 12 (UCF,BYU and or Cincinnati) in it.

Dodd said "I talked to an Oklahoma person this week, he gave a little detail on they were 30 minutes from going to the Pac-12 in 2010.

If not Oklahoma may go to the SEC but Texas to the B1G (academics important to the school).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
This is has been my thinking as the greatest probability in the future, when in the future though I don't know. I still think the PAC12 is the most likely destination because it has room for both of them and couple "little brothers" and with Texas they'd be willing to take them like last time. I don't know that I'd see OU or Texas leaving anywhere on their own without a little brother in tow. The contract for the leftovers would definitely be affected by that and I could see outside interference (the state) if that were the case.

Would be negligible on the P&L...no doubt...but a waste of money is a waste of money. They have a responsibility to all shareholders to use their money wisely and not waste it on the whims of one shareholder.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
This is has been my thinking as the greatest probability in the future, when in the future though I don't know. I still think the PAC12 is the most likely destination because it has room for both of them and couple "little brothers" and with Texas they'd be willing to take them like last time. I don't know that I'd see OU or Texas leaving anywhere on their own without a little brother in tow. The contract for the leftovers would definitely be affected by that and I could see outside interference (the state) if that were the case.
Sure seems like the TV dollars are stating Big 10 and SEC above all others. Big XII as is, or with additions like Cincy, UCF, etc) doesn't move up meaningfully, and Pac-12 limited by geography a bit. Adding Texas and Baylor or Texas Tech, and Oklahoma & Oklahoma State make a lot of sense for the Pac 12 to expand their turf with two big brand names (and a few good teams in Baylor/Tech and Okie State).

Could have two fairly logical divisions with Texas, Oklahoma, two Big XII adds, two Arizona teams, Utah, and Colorado. The rest in the other division.

I didn't read all of the responses, but at the end of the day, no matter how much money is coughed up, they're still Memphis.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Sure seems like the TV dollars are stating Big 10 and SEC above all others. Big XII as is, or with additions like Cincy, UCF, etc) doesn't move up meaningfully, and Pac-12 limited by geography a bit. Adding Texas and Baylor or Texas Tech, and Oklahoma & Oklahoma State make a lot of sense for the Pac 12 to expand their turf with two big brand names (and a few good teams in Baylor/Tech and Okie State).

Could have two fairly logical divisions with Texas, Oklahoma, two Big XII adds, two Arizona teams, Utah, and Colorado. The rest in the other division.
B10 and SEC will always be out in front of the pack but to me the next go around the ACC could pass the others (PAC12 w/o Texas and B12 as is or with "stragglers) because I think they are aided by their geography up and down the east coast. Now if the B10/SEC raided the ACC then yea I'd say the B12 is in a better position but like I said above they rely on someone else to make the first move. They don't have control.

I agree adding a couple "stragglers" isn't going to help the B12 meaningfully in their contract negotiation the next time around. So if you're one of the big 2 in the conference (Texas/Oklahoma) the PAC12 is the most logical destination as it best suited to maximize your financial goals and meet your political obligations.

Would be negligible on the P&L...no doubt...but a waste of money is a waste of money. They have a responsibility to all shareholders to use their money wisely and not waste it on the whims of one shareholder.

Not exactly one shareholder. Founder and CEO.

Not exactly one shareholder. Founder and CEO.
Then he shouldn't have given up control of the business by selling the remaining 93% of the company. The company is still accountable to all the other shareholders. I get that it is a rounding error to FedEx, but I still don't like it.

Reactions: Block R
Then he shouldn't have given up control of the business by selling the remaining 93% of the company. The company is still accountable to all the other shareholders. I get that it is a rounding error to FedEx, but I still don't like it.

Which is your right of course.

I just wish the Chairman of Ford would throw some company $$$ Rutgers way lol.

I can see the PAC-?? taking OU, Ok St, and TT to get Texas. They are the only conference besides the B1G that Texas would move to. If I'm the PAC, I can't let Texas go B1G. B1G with Texas and ND/FSU would relegate the PAC to second tier cash money status (along with everyone else except the SEC). ESPN is probably working for this end as well. Texas to B1G would be a cup check for the evil mice.

We have now entered the "in need of warm bodies" phase of expansion.

There is not one school on the potential list of candidates that adds anything to the Big12.

And PLEASE don't reply with

1)Memphis was really good last year

OR

2) Team "X" adds another market to the Big 12

On the field accomplishments mean nothing (see Boise St), and the markets those teams are from are already spoken for by either the B12, B1G or SEC.

The only possible reason to expand is to get a championship football game. I'm actually a little surprised that schools like UT and OU would go along with this, although exploring expansion is a lot different than offering a spot to anyone.

Of all that are out there, BYU is far far far and away the most attractive candidate but their religious issues with scheduling might be too much to overcome.

seems like the sponsorship, champ game and increased TV money would have to be at least 20% of their current revenue just to break even by adding 2 teams. Are any of those teams being discussed going to add to TV $$$$$?

We have now entered the "in need of warm bodies" phase of expansion.

There is not one school on the potential list of candidates that adds anything to the Big12.

And PLEASE don't reply with

1)Memphis was really good last year

OR

2) Team "X" adds another market to the Big 12

On the field accomplishments mean nothing (see Boise St), and the markets those teams are from are already spoken for by either the B12, B1G or SEC.

The only possible reason to expand is to get a championship football game. I'm actually a little surprised that schools like UT and OU would go along with this, although exploring expansion is a lot different than offering a spot to anyone.

Of all that are out there, BYU is far far far and away the most attractive candidate but their religious issues with scheduling might be too much to overcome.
Agree.

While Rutgers wasn't a marquee program when invited to the Big Ten (and still isn't), we were at least the only realistic option for the New York City metropolis. More than what Rutgers brings to the table, we act as a stage for Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State and Iowa and Nebraska. We were a stage for the Big Ten in this region...and that is something we brought to the table that no one else could. The BigTen, once they planted the flag with Rutgers, faced no competition in this market.

You could argue that UCF has a lot of potential (talent rich area, big school), but they are somewhere between the third and fifth most important sport program in that state (FSU, Florida, and Miami almost certainly ahead), which means that if you are the Big XII, you are still behind the ACC and SEC in the state. Same goes with Cincy (behind Ohio State) and Memphis (behind Tennessee). UConn maybe owns a unique geography without competition, but the geographic fit is bad and it isn't really a football school. BYU is the only school that has a dedicated fan base that would provide some degree of shifting a large number of people to the Big XII...while Boise might do it on a smaller scale.

Sports Day

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
WOULD OU BE INTERESTED IN THE SEC AND VICE VERSA?

The SEC absolutely would be interested in adding the Sooners. But I never have detected any interest in the SEC from anyone official at OU. Not from the academic side. Not from the athletic administration side. Not from the football side. Fans and media are infatuated with the SEC. No one from inside the university.

http://newsok.com/article/5472760

[roll]This shit again...watching the big dumpster fire conference uncomfortably deal with itself is thoroughly delightful!!!

It takes me back to 2010-2011 when A&M fans every where were mocked for joining a conference that required so much "far away" travel! "Think of the student athletes" was a favorite mantra then...I would enjoy the explaining away if having games in cincy or Uconn or [roll]

Oh and southern baptist Baylor is NEVER EVER joining the PAC...period!

If it was a private company I'd be more forgiving of it. As a public one, I don't see it as appropriate. Who's to say a B12 sponsorship is the best use of its marketing dollars. I mean they don't sponsor the Orange Bowl anymore. Maybe it could be used elsewhere or with a conference that has more exposure than a Texas centric B12 but they wouldn't because the CEO has a personal thing for Memphis. I'm sure they have a nice relationship with the city and he doesn't have to go this far to maintain it. This seems more like a personal thing. He can do what he likes with his personal funds obviously but I think this kind of action is stepping out of his bounds as a public company CEO.
Exactly. The issue is implicit in the offer of "we'll sponsor the game in exchange for Memphis to get in" because they'd be paying over market value for the sponsorship. Otherwise there would be no reason for the conference to agree.

The only possible reason to expand is to get a championship football game.
Then there is NO reason to expand. In January the NCAA passed a waiver allowing the Big XII to play a championship game without expanding.

Not surprisingly, their biggest supporter in getting that waiver was the ACC, which does not want to see the Big XII expand.

The AAC opposed the waiver. Their members want to see the Big XII expand in hopes that they are the ones who get the golden ticket, although I guess it's more like a bronze ticket.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT