ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mickey D's McNugget Logic Test

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
You can get 4 McNuggets for $1.00 (or 16 for $4.00) or 10 for $4.19. Why would anyone ever buy a 10-pack? This is not a trick question - just ate 3 x 4 packs today for lunch and noticed the difference in price.

Originally posted by RU848789:
You can get 4 McNuggets for $1.00 (or 16 for $4.00) or 10 for $4.19. Why would anyone ever buy a 10-pack? This is not a trick question - just ate 3 x 4 packs today for lunch and noticed the difference in price.
I believe it is different chicken-like meat in each type of nugget.

Maybe some people don't want to get fat. Of course, eating McNuggets probably goes against that thought, but the object isn't to get as much food as possible for the least amount. At least not for some people.

Cali- why not buy the 16 nugget for less and throw out what you don't eat?

These types of findings have proven your worth well beyond the scientific breakthroughs you assist with in the search for the next cure for this earth's deadliest diseases.

Originally posted by RU205:
Cali- why not buy the 16 nugget for less and throw out what you don't eat?
Seems wasteful. Further, anyone who is eating 14 McNuggest is surely going to eat the other two anyway.

Might as well go hit the all you can eat "salad" bar, strap on the feed bag, and get it done proper.

You only ate 16 nuggets?

What are you, poor?

I can do 24, easy. Maybe 32 on a good day.

That reminds me of another fun college food challenge - the 30/30.

You have 24 hours to consume a 30 pack of beers of your choice and 30 White Castle cheeseburgers.

What your bowels decide to do to you afterwards is not the point. Completing the 30/30 is a rite of passage.

They also have 20 for $5, which is the same as 4 for $1.

They're charging you more to get 10 because they want to sell the 20. If your local McDonald's isn't pointing that out to you they're not doing their job.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

Maybe some people don't want to get fat. Of course, eating McNuggets probably goes against that thought, but the object isn't to get as much food as possible for the least amount. At least not for some people.
Well if you dont want to get fat, then you buy 4 or 8. But he's right - if you want 10, then you cant save $1.20 (plus tax) and get 2 more (even if you dont want them, give them to the birds/homeless).

I mean sometimes you see this but usually its like off by 10 cents or something. They figure you are too lazy to do the math to figure yout you could save a dime by getting 3 smaller orders. But this is about a 3rd cheaper per nugget. Thats a pretty big discount for fast food.

My friends and I noticed that sort of thing as kids.

When you're putting quarters together to get a snack, you run through all the scenarios.

Have not done the McNugget thing in decades. Is it a sauce thing? Do you get 1 free sauce with 4 pack? 3 with a 10 pack? If they charge for the sauce, maybe the stats show that they make more sauce revenue off of 4 packs than 16 packs.

For the green crowd: 4x 4 packs probably generate more trash than a single 16 pack.

Why not get the 50-piece for $10 and save what you don't eat for later?

Had a similar exercise with my son and the shopkeep at the local comic book store. They sell football cards. If my son does his "job" on his tests for the week, we usually go on Friday and get a few packs of cards. My son notices they have the fat packs--50 cards in a pack--for $14.99. Regular packs--10 cards--are $2.49. So I say to the kid behind the counter. "Uh, excuse me, but why would anyone buy the fat pack? You can get 10 extra cards for the same price if you buy them in single packs."

The look of total bewilderment he gave me was worth the trip.

You can buy 10 4 packs, get back in line, return 4 10 packs, and pocket the 72 cents arbitrage. Do that 10 times an hour & you've made the same as the kid who rings you up.

Originally posted by RUJohnny99:
You can buy 10 4 packs, get back in line, return 4 10 packs, and pocket the 72 cents arbitrage. Do that 10 times an hour & you've made the same as the kid who rings you up.
And that's why they need to increase the minimum wage.

So that the price of nuggets will rise.

402205_10150592598781183_656546182_11524936_960131419_n.jpg

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by NoLondonBroil:

You have 24 hours to consume a 30 pack of beers of your choice and 30 White Castle cheeseburgers.

What your bowels decide to do to you afterwards is not the point. Completing the 30/30 is a rite of passage.
24 hours? Pfft. Could do that in 12, no problem.

Originally posted by RUJohnny99:
Great idea, but you might want to check your math - your profit would be $6.76 per 40 McNuggets - 10 times an hour would result in $67.60 an hour, a pretty decent wage, lol.

At Burger King you can get a 4 piece @$1.19 or 10 piece @ $1.49 or 20 piece @ $4.99 so the numbers are even more ridiculous the McDonald's.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

How about the $20.00 taco bell challenge? You have to spend at least 20 bucks and eat it in 1- 20 minute setting. Its really not that easy.

Originally posted by 63valiant:

How about the $20.00 taco bell challenge? You have to spend at least 20 bucks and eat it in 1- 20 minute setting. Its really not that easy.
I have never heard this, and it sounds like an AWESOMELY terrible idea.

Originally posted by Roy_Faulker:
Same reason a 16oz coke costs 1.89 and a 2 liter costs $1.25...
But that's not the same at all. When you buy a 16 oz bottle of Coke, you are paying for the convenience of portability. Also the 16 oz bottles sold individually are usually cold, while the 2 liter bottles are usually warm.

Originally posted by Upstream:

But that's not the same at all. When you buy a 16 oz bottle of Coke, you are paying for the convenience of portability. Also the 16 oz bottles sold individually are usually cold, while the 2 liter bottles are usually warm.
Roy obviously didn't read the thread. The Coke example is like many examples where buying larger amounts of a product can be done for a cheaper, per unit (weight, volume, number, whatever) price, which makes sense, since the product is often cheap and the packaging is where the cost is. However, in the McNuggets example, it's the smaller size version which is far cheaper per unit cost than the larger size - that's very unusual, at least per my observations over the years.

Originally posted by RUtah:

Agree with Utah. That is not hard at all.

Sure - but in that case there is at least a tricky imperial to metric conversion. In this case its just simple nuggets to nuggets math.

I could do it.

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

Originally posted by RUtah:

Agree with Utah. That is not hard at all.
I tried this many years ago. It's not the consuming that gets you, it's that you get tired and decide not to finish.

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

I could do it.
sadly, I have to agree here....yes...you could totally do the Taco Bell challenge.

Aren't McNuggets made with chicken hearts and other nasty chicken stuff? Pretty sure I read that somewhere at some point.

Originally posted by Steveriknight:

Aren't McNuggets made with chicken hearts and other nasty chicken stuff? Pretty sure I read that somewhere at some point.
Nope. It's made of:

Chicken - white meat chicken.
The chicken, which is cut from the tenderloin, breast and rib, gets ground with a bit of chicken skin and a marinade for flavor and to act as a binder.

What's in a Chicken McNugget?

ADVERTISEMENT