ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mind Mapping

Blitz8RUCrazy

Heisman Winner
Jan 24, 2012
I just started reading The Mindmap Book by Tony Buzan and it's pretty interesting.

Anyone else have any experience with mind mapping and if so how practical/effective is it to use in your day to day tasks/work (both personal and professional)?

mindmap.jpg

Reactions: kapyoche
We use it all the time for process risk assessments - we use MindJet's MindManager software. It's a great way to effectively brainstorm variables that impact our chemical processes. And with the little +/- toggles, one can easily drill down deeper and deeper into sub-elements of variables or pull back out to get the high level view.

We then have a macro that some smart kid wrote a few years ago to extract all the possible variables that might influence a process step from the mind map and put them into a nice Excel spreadsheet for the next step in the risk assessment process. That is, ranking the risks to process success associated with each variable, which then leads to an overall risk ranking for each variable, which then provides us numerically ranked priorities for which experiments to run.

It's a little extra work, but the experimental plans we develop are more comprehensive and much less likely to overlook important variables that might be missed by just doing it by instinct. I've seen mindmaps used elsewhere at work, also.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
We do the same for project management, IT Security Risk, and anything else we can find a use. Use the same tools listed above. Freemind is a nice open source tool that can get you started with not quite all the bells and whistles as Mindjet.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
I was planning to just try this out with onenote mainly cause it seems like you need to draw a bunch of stuff for this and onenote is great for making notes/documents with handwritten diagrams etc.

ADVERTISEMENT