ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Mini Goldendoodle

RU Leonard 23

All American
Sep 9, 2010
has anyone on the boards had one? Looking to get a new pup soon and thinking of going in this direction. Family has had black lab, Boston terrier, and shih poo in my lifetime. Love the hypo allergenic aspect. Thoughts?

TIA

I don't really understand the fuss around what we used to call "mutts". I feel like it's just another sad commentary on our times that people will pay a thousand dollars for a "breed" that really isn't a breed.

If you want a hypoallergenic dog, just get a damn poodle.

Got my daughter a yorkiepoo 5 years ago, she's a great little dog, no shedding and hypo allergenic.

Just a little helpful tip, do not bring your daughter to the puppy store on her birthday, you will end up paying whatever price they ask.

338341_2575472829657_1887652093_o.jpg

The problem with rescuing a dog is that you have to deal with the dog rescue people.

Dog rescue people don't think like regular people. They believe that dogs are more important than humans. It leads them to behave strangely.

Yes I have a mini goldendoodle. She's 6 years old and weighs 22 pounds. Has a beautiful disposition, very laid back and a gentle soul. Used to get stopped during our walks from people inquiring where they could get a dog that looks just like her.

I donate to local shelters and also volunteer my time in Mt Pleasant. That's my way of giving back.

The problem with rescuing a dog is that you have to deal with the dog rescue people.

Dog rescue people don't think like regular people. They believe that dogs are more important than humans. It leads them to behave strangely.
This is true.. they grill you like Nazis.. have home visits to make sure you are not lying.. then they lie about the dogs being dewormed.

That was my experience... still.. nice to "save" some animals.

Are they the ones who post on our CE board?

Reactions: Knight Shift

Adopting a rescue dog is like spinning a wheel and hoping that the one you get has limited behavioral problems. I'm with 4Real....the rescue people seem to mirror the dogs' personalities. Something happened in their life that left a scar. Oh, and they drive Subarus.

Adopting a rescue dog is like spinning a wheel and hoping that the one you get has limited behavioral problems. I'm with 4Real....the rescue people seem to mirror the dogs' personalities. Something happened in their life that left a scar. Oh, and they drive Subarus.
Some rescue dogs are the mutts of purebreds... unwanted puppies due to some other breed mating with their pure-bred bitches. In those cases, you are probably better off with the mutt than a pure-bred pup... though you do have that random chance of traits things. You might get the best of booth breeds.. or the worst.

We absolutely loved our mini-goldendoodle. Smart like a poodle, playful like a golden retriever. She got along with a two large goldendoodles. I highly recommend. Unfortunately ours passed two years ago at two years old from Lyme Disease which caused kidney failure. :o(

i'm with the adopt-a-dog camp. we adopted a racing greyhound and had him for 10 years. when he passed last july, he was a few weeks shy of 14. they couldn't be an easier dog to have. affectionate, clean, and incredibly lazy. we adopted a coonhound mix puppy last september. kids chose him and he's full of personality, really sweet and affectionate too. you can find a match for your family out there through adoption. check out petfinder. they at least deserve a look before you go the breeder route!

Reactions: SteveVA2
LOL, these are just mutts or "designer breeds" as they are now called.

Marketing is everything.

Oh No -- I just rescued a dog and I drive a Subaru, OH well -- off to therapy now,

Reactions: PaKnight
We have adopted three greyhounds over the years. Lovely dogs. Very easy to live with. Sleep most of the day. Smart enough. Hardly ever bark. Not good as a guard dog. They love everyone. A good watch dog if you want a dog that watches. Wouldn't do anything though, but really good at watching.

Reactions: RICOelectric
We have adopted three greyhounds over the years. Lovely dogs. Very easy to live with. Sleep most of the day. Smart enough. Hardly ever bark. Not good as a guard dog. They love everyone. A good watch dog if you want a dog that watches. Wouldn't do anything though, but really good at watching.

ours was a twin to the one in your avatar. yep, lousy guard dogs! sleep most of the day. contrary to what most people think as they are racing dogs. total couch potatoes. and they love everyone.

Another possibility for a hypoallergic breed is the bichon frise, which also has a very nice personality. The big downside is the need for constant brushing unless you keep the dog's coat *very* short (although not shaven).

Rhodesian Ridgeback. You will thank me later! Best family member ever! Very loyal. Very protective. Great watch dog. Very loving and so damn nice!

While a designer mix is a mutt you have advantages with a breeder.

1. You know the history of the parents which can help for genetic illnesses. The size and weight should be standard as well.
2. coming from a respected breeder the dog should be treated well which can eliminate psychological issues that come with shelter dogs that may have been mistreated
3. the overall behavior may be better since the dogs are bred from selected parents (if a respected breeder)
4. respected breeders typically breed that better dogs with good traits and know family history to avoid close familial ties (incest). Puppy mills do not take this care.

ADVERTISEMENT