ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Minnesota in Meltdown Mode-Fire Fleck, Brosmer?

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Thank goodness RU fans are more rational than Gophers fans. Had not realized they got beat 31-14 by Iowa. 79 yards total rushing. Brosmer threw for 209 yards but 2 INTs. In typical Iowa fashion, 62 yards of passing sealed the victory for them. To add insult to injury, UNC, who Minnesota lost to, got throttled 70-50 by James Madison.

1. Done with the program threads

2. PJ Isn't Going Anywhere thread (buyout too large)

3. Brosmer is not a stud (many say it's the OL and receivers--a familiar refrain)

Reactions: FastMJ and TM94goRU
Thank goodness RU fans are more rational than Gophers fans. Had not realized they got beat 31-14 by Iowa. 79 yards total rushing. Brosmer threw for 209 yards but 2 INTs. In typical Iowa fashion, 62 yards of passing sealed the victory for them. To add insult to injury, UNC, who Minnesota lost to, got throttled 70-50 by James Madison.

3. Brosmer is not a stud (many say it's the OL and receivers--a familiar refrain)

We have plenty of irrational people here. Like all the people upset after winning as a road underdog. 😂 Just wait till RU loses a game…

I would be more upset with the loss to UNC than the loss to Iowa. James Madison hung 70 on UNC. 53 points in the first half. Game was over at half time.

I would be more upset with the loss to UNC than the loss to Iowa. James Madison hung 70 on UNC. 53 points in the first half. Game was over at half time.
Transitive property: UNC beat Minnesota by 2. Does that mean James Madison would hang 140 on Minnesota?

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Minnesota and RU have the same DNA.

PJ Fleck is a chip off Schiano's "prevent offense" block ("prevent" meaning prevent turnovers in hypervigilant fashion). Kirk had a good year there when he had great players and then the offense sputtered. MN kept on the same track and still modeled off KC. Its all the same gang that can get a roll when they have the players but the car is prone to clunking out.

"The Gopher offense is predicated on taking very few risks, running the ball really well and then relying on your defense and special teams to do their jobs well. The problem here is that unless you have an incredibly talented team, you are putting tremendous pressure on those two units.

This has been on full display in four of our last five Big Ten games (ignoring the Michigan game). And the net result is winning half of those while blowing leads in the other two...The lack of a mid-range passing attack is infuriating. And more than anything, it would be refreshing to have an offense that is capable of winning a game, not, not losing one."

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm shocked, a head coach who is more well known for hijacking slogans than for his football philosophy is facing a fan revolt. It can't be 😂.

I don't root for injuries or firings, but after Fleck ran up the score on us in Minnesota, I think Coach Schiano deserves to laugh best (last).

Reactions: FastMJ
I see what you did there.
It's actually true if you read the Brosmer thread. Nobody is pining for Athan. Their loss, our gain.
During the V Tech broadcast, their commentators, who were very knowledgeable about all things Rutgers coaches and players (they did their homework), they were saying how Athan is doing better because he is back with his OC that recruited him and played under, and this is huge. That was at least their opinion on it.

Reactions: BLewis1968
It's actually true if you read the Brosmer thread. Nobody is pining for Athan. Their loss, our gain.
During the V Tech broadcast, their commentators, who were very knowledgeable about all things Rutgers coaches and players (they did their homework), they were saying how Athan is doing better because he is back with his OC that recruited him and played under, and this is huge. That was at least their opinion on it.
Okay, sorry - thought it was referring to our lengthy discourse here. Very happy with Athan.

Okay, sorry - thought it was referring to our lengthy discourse here. Very happy with Athan.
Considering what a fine young man Gavin is, I hope for the same for him at Kentucky or if he winds up somewhere else. Sometimes it is the OL and/or receivers, or the fit with the OC and coaching staff. Sometimes it is the QB. Sometimes it is hard to tell. I wish Gavin the best, and like you, thrilled we have AK as our QB.

Fans are overreactive after a bad loss. Fleck is 52-36 and 29-33 in the conference at Minn. In 2019 they went 10-2 and finished #10 nationally. Minn may have been a national power back in the 1940s, they haven’t been a national player since and made noise 5 years ago. I’m not sure where their upset fans think they are going with a HC change. They are not OSU or Mich. I’m not a huge Fleck fan but he has been pretty good there.

Fans are overreactive after a bad loss. Fleck is 52-36 and 29-33 in the conference at Minn. In 2019 they went 10-2 and finished #10 nationally. Minn may have been a national power back in the 1940s, they haven’t been a national player since and made noise 5 years ago. I’m not sure where their upset fans think they are going with a HC change. They are not OSU or Mich. I’m not a huge Fleck fan but he has been pretty good there.
I wonder if the reaction is due to the fans thinking they should be like Iowa and be able to compete consistently with them, not that they should be Michigan or Ohio State. Because they lost in this way to Iowa, I think it stings more and they probably feel like they are sliding backward.

I wonder if the reaction is due to the fans thinking they should be like Iowa and be able to compete consistently with them, not that they should be Michigan or Ohio State. Because they lost in this way to Iowa, I think it stings more and they probably feel like they are sliding backward.
They also see the dissolving of the East/West as the "easy" games are over. They also fail to recognize that Nebraska has (and will continue to) improved. Typical delusional/lack of self-awareness in many fanbases.

Sometimes you have to put things in perspective.

Considering what a fine young man Gavin is, I hope for the same for him at Kentucky or if he winds up somewhere else. Sometimes it is the OL and/or receivers, or the fit with the OC and coaching staff. Sometimes it is the QB. Sometimes it is hard to tell. I wish Gavin the best, and like you, thrilled we have AK as our QB.

I think it’s a fair assessment by them. AK has been great for us but he’s not the kind of QB who is going to make amazing throws with no time. The frustrating thing last year was that it seemed like we had time but the accuracy just wasn’t there even on simple bunny throws.

No, they seem to think it is the OL and receivers.

They have an All-B1G WR (Daniel Jackson) who had 112 yds on 9 catches vs Iowa.

Minn had only 79 yds rushing so maybe OL is sketchy.
Brosner had a decent game minus 2 INTs - maybe forcing the ball under pressure
Iowa had 272 yds rushing - the defense isn't 85 Bears

Jackson is a great WR

G5uQXjY.gif

Fleck is Schiano lite. They were done when once we hired their coordinators. It was never about their QB, it was the OC.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
They have an All-B1G WR (Daniel Jackson) who had 112 yds on 9 catches vs Iowa.

Minn had only 79 yds rushing so maybe OL is sketchy.
Brosner had a decent game minus 2 INTs - maybe forcing the ball under pressure
Iowa had 272 yds rushing - the defense isn't 85 Bears

Jackson is a great WR

G5uQXjY.gif

I haven’t watched enough of him. There are very few receivers in my opinion who can truly be difference makers without either a competent OL or a stud QB (one of the 2 is different).

The metric isn’t about reception yards rather types of catches. Caroo is one example of a difference maker. Laviano was able to heave long ball 50/50 passes off his back foot with a ton of hang time that Caroo could be trusted to go up and get. In Lav’s defense he was a decent game manager with time too, but his overall stats in 2015 look a lot better than what they would otherwise look like without him and an OL that was inferior to much of its competition. I honestly don’t think we have anyone like that on our roster now- no offense to Miller. Hes a good player, but he’s not that. Don’t know about Jackson as I didn’t watch much of him outside of AK clips. I didn’t see that potential in those but maybe I’m wrong.

The same (even more so) is true at RB. A decent OL is required. Look at Pacheco…

Minnesota and RU have the same DNA.

PJ Fleck is a chip off Schiano's "prevent offense" block ("prevent" meaning prevent turnovers in hypervigilant fashion). Kirk had a good year there when he had great players and then the offense sputtered. MN kept on the same track and still modeled off KC. Its all the same gang that can get a roll when they have the players but the car is prone to clunking out.

"The Gopher offense is predicated on taking very few risks, running the ball really well and then relying on your defense and special teams to do their jobs well. The problem here is that unless you have an incredibly talented team, you are putting tremendous pressure on those two units.

This has been on full display in four of our last five Big Ten games (ignoring the Michigan game). And the net result is winning half of those while blowing leads in the other two...The lack of a mid-range passing attack is infuriating. And more than anything, it would be refreshing to have an offense that is capable of winning a game, not, not losing one."

I think you went until the 2nd sentence/paragraph to make it about Schiano lol

I haven’t watched enough of him. There are very few receivers in my opinion who can truly be difference makers without either a competent OL or a stud QB (one of the 2 is different).

The metric isn’t about reception yards rather types of catches. Caroo is one example of a difference maker. Laviano was able to heave long ball 50/50 passes off his back foot with a ton of hang time that Caroo could be trusted to go up and get. In Lav’s defense he was a decent game manager with time too, but his overall stats in 2015 look a lot better than what they would otherwise look like without him and an OL that was inferior to much of its competition. I honestly don’t think we have anyone like that on our roster now- no offense to Miller. Hes a good player, but he’s not that. Don’t know about Jackson as I didn’t watch much of him outside of AK clips. I didn’t see that potential in those but maybe I’m wrong.

The same (even more so) is true at RB. A decent OL is required. Look at Pacheco…
In Pacheco's case, it's the combination of a decent OL and offensive coaches that actually know how offense works.

It’s similar to when Schiano was here the first time and we were starting it to win consistently 7-9 games a season but our fans were unsatisfied since we didn’t win the Big East. When he left we realized what we had. This is the same as when Michigan and Syracuse fired their coaches when they won only 9 games a season instead of getting over the hump and consistently winning 10 games.

Reactions: RU at the shore
It’s similar to when Schiano was here the first time and we were starting it to win consistently 7-9 games a season but our fans were unsatisfied since we didn’t win the Big East. When he left we realized what we had. This is the same as when Michigan and Syracuse fired their coaches when they won only 9 games a season instead of getting over the hump and consistently winning 10 games.

Well then they deserve the Flood/ Ash error that is forthcoming

In Pacheco's case, it's the combination of a decent OL and offensive coaches that actually know how offense works.

My point really is that the performance of the skill positions is largely correlated to the QB, OL and your right throw in coaching style too. VTech has excellent skill players who could put up stud numbers on a team with an elite OL.

Both are available, and since they have a penchant for hiring former Rutgers coaches, seems logical.
At this time- I’m not sure Flood would be all that bad for a team like Minn.
I don’t think he would take it but he has now mentored under some of the best.

He's doing better because he is back with his OC, who is a good OC. As opposed to the Minny OC who sucks. And he has a running game that has to be respected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT