ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Missed This - Chris Gotterup Back On PGA Tour

knightfan7

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2003
Manasquan, NJ
Didn't know he was invited to the 3M Open.

After 2 Rounds he is currently T46. He shot a +4, 75 his first round but responded with a -4, 67 today and Even Par overall. The 67 allowed him to climb 60 places currently.

Today's highlight was an Eagle on the Par 5 6th(his 15th hole). After a 309 yard drive in the fairway he was 271 yards from the pin. He put his 2nd 5' from the cup and made the putt.

With a large number of players on the course It appears the cut will either be E or +1 so he has a shot of playing the weekend.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He has been playing in the last few events on tour. Came in 4th at the John Deere.
Yeah but the Barbasol was supposed to be his last one for the year as he used up his sponsor's exemptions. He was supposed to go to the Canadian Tour. May go next week unless he does something really good over the final 36.

I wonder if the players moving to LIV opened up a spot for him.

It does look like he made the cut on the number.

Last edited:
Reactions: superfan01
Chris started his round today on fire with birdies on 3 of his first 5 holes but it didn't last. On his 7th hole, a 305 yd Par 4 his Drive missed the green by 50 yards splashing into a pond for a Bogey. He also bogeyed his 9th and 12 holes dropping back to Even Par. He did recover, with Birdies on his 15th and 18th holes for a 69 and a 3 day score of -2.

With players still on the course he stand where he started the day, T46.

Yeah but the Barbasol was supposed to be his last one for the year as he used up his sponsor's exemptions. He was supposed to go to the Canadian Tour. May go next week unless he does something really good over the final 36.

I wonder if the players moving to LIV opened up a spot for him.

It does look like he made the cut on the number.
As an aside, did not realize Barbasol was a big enough brand to sponsor a PGA (or other sport) event.

Chris finished with his second 69 for a final score of 280 (-4). With a large number still on the course he sits T32 at the moment. The 1st round 75 put him way back but his final 3 rounds of 8 Under helped him move up about 70 - 80 places

I don't know if he's going to play any more Tour events this season or head to the Canadian Tour for their last 4 or so tourneys but it's pretty obvious he's showed enough to say he can play with the big boys.

Edit: Just saw he's listed in the field for next week's Rocket Mortgage Classic so he's sticking around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skull83
Chris led last weekend's 3M in Driving Distance at 328.0 yards

Cameron Champ leads the Tour with an average of 319.7 yards

To date Chris is averaging 323.9 yards.
Since he isn't a member of the PGA Tour his stats aren't official. He has won about $480,000 in 3 events but he is not on the official prize money list. One of the many stupid PGA rules. After the playoffs he will get a lot of invites to the silly season events.

Reactions: Skull83
Since he isn't a member of the PGA Tour his stats aren't official. He has won about $480,000 in 3 events but he is not on the official prize money list. One of the many stupid PGA rules. After the playoffs he will get a lot of invites to the silly season events.
Chicks and TV like the long ball so I agree he'll likely get invites. He also has the Korn Ferry qualifying in October.

He earned more $ by finishing T31 last weekend than he would if he won most tourneys on the Canadian Tour.

He will be on the PGA Tour since they don't want to lose him to LIV.

PGA needs to be a youth tour and let LIV get those over 40.

He will be on the PGA Tour since they don't want to lose him to LIV.

PGA needs to be a youth tour and let LIV get those over 40.
The problem with that is there are strict rules for how you qualify for the Tour. Normally there are only a few "discretionary" invites every week. One of the reasons there are openings is so many top players skip the majority of events between The Open and FedEx playoffs. The Playoffs have been moved up and one round has been eliminated so as @WhiteBus said he will probably get invites to a number of Fall events but as he also said he's not a member of the Tour yet so he has to depend on being invited.

Canada is still an option but that ends the middle of Sept. He does have the 2nd stage of Korn Ferry qualifying in mid October.

Chris is a serious talent. Fairly amazing to see considering RU was one of only 2 scholarship offers out of high school. Good to see a couple Shore Conference guys on the map (Ryan McCormick is putting together a great season on the Korn Ferry Tour). I've always been surprised by the lack of NJ tour players. There's enough money and elite golf courses to overcome the bad weather.

Chris is a serious talent. Fairly amazing to see considering RU was one of only 2 scholarship offers out of high school. Good to see a couple Shore Conference guys on the map (Ryan McCormick is putting together a great season on the Korn Ferry Tour). I've always been surprised by the lack of NJ tour players. There's enough money and elite golf courses to overcome the bad weather.
Morgan Hoffman, although he finished HS in Florida, is back on tour after dealing with his medical issues.

Some may not know Chris was preceded by another NJ product, John Pak, as college golfer of the year. Pak played at Fla St. I believe he's on Korn Ferry too.

The ability to play year round in warmer states is a huge advantage. I played in the Shore Winter league, founded by my old friend and mentor Angelo Petraglia, one time club pro at Spring Meadow. It kept you in the game all winter but very few practiced much and bad swing habits occurred dealing with the elements. It was a lot of fun. Most weeks over 100 golfers would play from high school players to club pros from the tri state area. The league is still around and going strong. But to a man we would all trade it for warmer climate.

The ability to play year round in warmer states is a huge advantage. I played in the Shore Winter league, founded by my old friend and mentor Angelo Petraglia, one time club pro at Spring Meadow. It kept you in the game all winter but very few practiced much and bad swing habits occurred dealing with the elements. It was a lot of fun. Most weeks over 100 golfers would play from high school players to club pros from the tri state area. The league is still around and going strong. But to a man we would all trade it for warmer climate.
That is very cool, wish I knew about the winter league. As an Ocean County guy, I was always jealous of Monmouth County's stock of county courses. I wonder what Canada is doing to get so many guys on tour these days. I will also forever be amazed by the fact that Tom Hoge is from Fargo, North Dakota.

That is very cool, wish I knew about the winter league. As an Ocean County guy, I was always jealous of Monmouth County's stock of county courses. I wonder what Canada is doing to get so many guys on tour these days. I will also forever be amazed by the fact that Tom Hoge is from Fargo, North Dakota.
I believe Canada has a strong youth program. Many of them come to the US first as college golfers. For example, Rutgers will have 2 on the roster this fall. Michigan had 3 last year and MSU 1.

It still goes on. There a small membership fee, under a $100 and a weekly greens fee which is very cheap and you are playing on mostly private clubs. My favorite was Battleground in Manalapan which back then was a terrific course. When I say back then I mean real wood drivers and balata golf balls. The ones that smiled back at you after a miss hit 🤣

Gotterup is playing this week too!! Even trough 9 so far.
Followed his shots. He was all over the place early on. At the first Par 5, he hit his 2nd over the green into the stands and got a Bogey. On the Par 5 17th (8th on his scorecard) he sunk a 25' putt for an Eagle.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Get this....

Chris was in 109th place at +1 after 15, He Birdied the Par 5 7th (his 16th Hole).

He just drove the Green on the 371 yard Par 4, leaving himself a 4'7" putt for Eagle! He made the putt, jumping to a tie with 25 others at 53rd. He now has 2 Eagles in the round.

He got a Par on the last hole for a 70. He tees off tomorrow at 8:57AM

Get this....

Chris was in 109th place at +1 after 15, He Birdied the Par 5 7th (his 16th Hole).

He just drove the Green on the 371 yard Par 4, leaving himself a 4'7" putt for Eagle! He made the putt, jumping to a tie with 25 others at 53rd. He now has 2 Eagles in the round.

He got a Par on the last hole for a 70. He tees off tomorrow at 8:57AM
He is the only reason I'll be watching this PGA stop. You know the field is bad when they have Davis Love III playing.

He is the only reason I'll be watching this PGA stop. You know the field is bad when they have Davis Love III playing.
Yeah, it's pretty much Finau, Cantlay, Young, and Zalatoris.

Wait! You mean you're not a big Tommy "Two gloves" Gainey fan?😄

NJ's Morgan Hoffman is also playing.

That 3 putt from 3 and a half feet is going to sting. I feel his pain.
He had a rough day with the short irons On 2 of his 1st 4 holes he missed the green from less than 90 yards out. He also missed two or three times more from within 150 yds. All in all it was a struggling 1 Under.

He did make the cut on the number and tees off tomorrow at 8:10

Reactions: RU848789
Chris started the day with a Bogey on #1 but responded 11 Pars and 6 Birdies the rest of the way, shooting a 5 Under 67. His putting was much better today than yesterday. He had a few wild shots including his 2nd on the Par 5 17th which missed the green by 45 yards, ending up with the grandstands between him and the green. After a free drop he came came within an inch of a 4, settling for a Par. His playing partner Cam Davis shot a 65 so it would have been a fun group to watch.

He walked off the course T16 but with so many going low will probably end up in the 30's which would still be an improvement of 20 or more spots.

Chris is T29 going into tomorrow after moving up 30 places. He is paired with Cameron Champ, teeing off at 11:30.

Champ is a 3 time tour winner and leads the tour in Driving Distance. If Chris were a member of the tour, he'd have Champ by about 3.5 yards going into this week lol.

ADVERTISEMENT