ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB HOF becomes even more of a joke

These special committees can be ridiculous. Alan Trammell, Rizzutto, many others that weren’t close to dominant in their time.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Wow.

Who the heck are these "Today's Era Game" people?

Baines had over 2800 hits and over 1600 rbi. If he had stayed healthy and stayed in outfield think people would not be so negative about him. And we know that the media did not like Albert Belle.

Two of my favorites. Not Babe Ruth or Mo Rivera but both deserved recognition. Smith was a Mike Tyson on the mound. Had most guys beaten before he threw a pitch. Baines could swat in his sleep. Smooth and dependable. No roids.

Baines Career Value was 13.7 wins.That's not enough.

Big career totals don't win today's game.If they could,we'd never have heard of the 27'Yankees as the 27 A's had Ty Cobb,Zach Wheat,Eddie Collins,and Jimmie Foxx ON THEIR BENCH!

Reactions: redking
Baines had over 2800 hits and over 1600 rbi. If he had stayed healthy and stayed in outfield think people would not be so negative about him. And we know that the media did not like Albert Belle.

But this is NOT the media voting. Every time the Hall invents a new committee to "fix" a problem that only a few people see (namely getting people they like into the Hall of Fame) this happens. Phil Rizzuto and Alan Trammel are excellent examples. I know everyone loves Rizzuto, but someone who played in only four all-star games in an eight-team American League while playing on the highest-profile franchise in North American sports history is NOT a Hall of Famer. (Although I will say it might have been worth it just to hear his induction speech, which was awesome fun.)

Reactions: Unionst
Whats the excuse for Hernandez and Mattingly not being in the HOF now if Harold Baines is in it?

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I always loved Harold Baines, a good ol' Eastern Shore man, but I have to admit I was surprised that he got in. Then I looked at his stats; pretty solid.

I think as we get older and have watched entire careers of new HOFers, we realize that they didn't walk on water 162 (or 154 as needed) games a year...

Does anyone like anyone or anything anymore? Lol

I liked him as a player. No real opinion on the HOF. Don’t care enough because they can never be 100% right in these things.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I always loved Harold Baines, a good ol' Eastern Shore man, but I have to admit I was surprised that he got in. Then I looked at his stats; pretty solid.

I think as we get older and have watched entire careers of new HOFers, we realize that they didn't walk on water 162 (or 154 as needed) games a year...
Harold was one hell of a player.
His camp being in Sarasota and ours Bradenton, we’d play in B games and see each other around frequently... great guy not a hall of famer.
Can’t argue with his stats but it took 3 decades to get them, and he was never even considered by the sports writers.
So many others worthy

Reactions: cicero grimes
His camp being in Sarasota and ours Bradenton, we’d play in B games and see each other around frequently... great guy not a hall of famer.
Can’t argue with his stats but it took 3 decades to get them, and he was never even considered by the sports writers.
So many others worthy
Not disagreeing but maybe he is being awarded for playing 3 decades. Today you’re lucky if you get 3 years without a couple of DL stints.

Not disagreeing but maybe he is being awarded for playing 3 decades. Today you’re lucky if you get 3 years without a couple of DL stints.
I can’t disagree with you either about injuries.
But the game has changed, you just won’t find many old guys or lifetime DH’s anymore.
100 mph fastballs coming at you basically everyday makes it impossible for a modern day Harold Baines... you just can’t catch up to that velocity when you age

Last edited:
So many others worthy

Agree completely (and I would defer to you, anyway). Like I said earlier, I was floored when I saw the headline about him getting in...

And how the hell people have problems with Edgar Martinez being mentioned as a Hall of Famer but yet Harold Baines is in?

They are asterisk selections not elected by the sports writers.
Veterans committee and now this committee inductees do nothing but water down the Hall.

Both were excellent players, not HOFers...IMO

Zappa for The Hall!

I've said this before - it's a Hall of "Fame" - anyone famous either through performance or longevity or maybe evan infamy should be in. But they should change the manner of displaying the awards.

Instead of a bronze plaque - or in addition to it - add a video screen that explains the reason they are there. Make the Rizzuto case - "above average for a ____ Yankee team - then broadcast games for 50 years. Synonymous with the Steinbrenner Yankees" - or whatever.

Put Rose in and explain his crimes - hell last time I was there Rose was all over the HOF except for the plaque.

Explain the Steroid era - especially when it was actually legal - and Bonds and the Steroid guys who actually put up the numbers - as unfair as they were - can still go in.

We can do a lot more than just a metal plaque - make the case for each guy. Hell it would make the Nap Lajoie or Tris Speaker plaques more interesting. Almost no one knows who they were and presenting the case might expand the understanding of baseball history back then.

This "slugger" never once hit 30 home runs, and never once led the league in any meaningful statistic. His ticket to the hall of fame should be with a paid admission with the rest of us fans.

I've said this before - it's a Hall of "Fame" - anyone famous either through performance or longevity or maybe evan infamy should be in. But they should change the manner of displaying the awards.

Instead of a bronze plaque - or in addition to it - add a video screen that explains the reason they are there. Make the Rizzuto case - "above average for a ____ Yankee team - then broadcast games for 50 years. Synonymous with the Steinbrenner Yankees" - or whatever.

Put Rose in and explain his crimes - hell last time I was there Rose was all over the HOF except for the plaque.

Explain the Steroid era - especially when it was actually legal - and Bonds and the Steroid guys who actually put up the numbers - as unfair as they were - can still go in.

We can do a lot more than just a metal plaque - make the case for each guy. Hell it would make the Nap Lajoie or Tris Speaker plaques more interesting. Almost no one knows who they were and presenting the case might expand the understanding of baseball history back then.
That would make too much sense.....i.e., it will never happen! :)

Reactions: RUScrew85
Mattingly’s best is Lou Gehrig good.
I saw it live, he was the best play I ever saw for 2 years
True greatness, even for a short period of time, should be recognized in the HOF. Not good or very good players that just happened to hang around way pass their prime.

Reactions: MoobyCow
True greatness, even for a short period of time, should be recognized in the HOF. Not good or very good players that just happened to hang around way pass their prime.
I saw two guys reach best player in their league status... Dave Parker was the best all around player in the National league for a few years as well.
You can make a strong case for Ricky Henderson too, nobody was better at producing runs than that man in his prime

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT