ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB Schedule next year for 2023 (Balanced / play all teams in MLB)

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
I was just reading that MLB is going to a balanced schedule in 2023.

Specifically, the schedule will be as follows for all teams:

1. 14 games vs Division foes (its currently 19 / 4 teams * 14 games = 56)
2. 6 games against other teams in league (10 teams * 6 games = 60)
3. 4 games vs Designated Rival ( 4 Mets / Yankees games = 4)
4. 3 games vs rest of other league (14 teams * 3 games = 42)

What's everyone's thoughts on the above? I'm ok with it as it'll be nice to see every team each year - a la getting a chance to see Mike Trout / Vlad Guerrero etc annually.

As I get older, I realize I'm not as caught up with the old style traditionalist mentality.

I'm fine with it. It's probably the best you can do to keep things somewhat balanced.

What's everyone's thoughts on the above? I'm ok with it as it'll be nice to see every team each year - a la getting a chance to see Mike Trout / Vlad Guerrero etc annually.

As I get older, I realize I'm not as caught up with the old style traditionalist mentality.

The designated rival series should be 6 games; played on weekends.

Good point. Maybe they can play series say on a Friday thru Monday / Thursday thru Sunday on 4 consecutive days ? Unlikely albeit.

I wouldn’t mind that. The White Sox and Cubs have done Monday through Thursday in the past — two at each park in the same week, but the midweek element sort of takes away from the fun. This year they’re doing a Tuesday / Weds at one park, then later a quirky Saturday / Sunday series at the other (you almost never see those). I say keep the rivalries on the weekends so the fans can enjoy it more.

With 6 teams in each league making the playoffs the regular season is just a 162 game preseason.

With 6 teams in each league making the playoffs the regular season is just a 162 game preseason.

You could say the same about pretty much any regular season, no?

The drama shifts I guess. Instead two or three teams in each league competing in September for the World Series (a format I wasn’t alive for), you have three or four teams in each league competing for a bye, and a few more competing to get in as wild cards.

I am still incredibly sad about the DH.

4 divisions
3 games vs 16 in other league =48
6 games vs 8 in other division = 48
11 games vs 6 in your division = 66

48+48+66=162
7 teams per league make the playoff
2 division winners and best wild card get byes.
4 remaining teams….
Monday 7 vs 6
Tuesday winner on Monday plays 5
Wednesday winner of Tuesday plays 4
Thursday we have 4 teams

Baseball is killing itself . They can do whatever they want with the schedule , it won’t help when games are so damn long.
On Wednesday the mets-Phils 9-inning was 4 plus hours.

You could say the same about pretty much any regular season, no?

The drama shifts I guess. Instead two or three teams in each league competing in September for the World Series (a format I wasn’t alive for), you have three or four teams in each league competing for a bye, and a few more competing to get in as wild cards.

You can, and I do, say that about every major team sport except for CFB. Only four teams make the playoffs.

I like it because it evens things out a little for the Wild Card. The AL could have 4 teams better than the winner of the AL Central, but because the division is so weak they could get a WC team in over a better team from the AL East.

And it's about time the NL adopted the DH. Watch a NL game in the past was just brutal.

I guess it does even things out in that your main divisional rival plays exactly the teams you do. Although I still would rather watch those 5 NYY/Red Sox games, we will be losing ,instead of 5 games against an NL bottom feeder. Leaning towards Colbert's idea of seperate AL & NL seasons. I would also eliminate wild card crap. Either you win your division or you go home! Or go total old school one division. AL winner plays NL winner. Wild cards are almost as bad as participation trophies! This is professional sports you don't get paid to finish 2nd or 3rd. It's not a horse race bet.

I am still incredibly sad about the DH.

4 divisions
3 games vs 16 in other league =48
6 games vs 8 in other division = 48
11 games vs 6 in your division = 66

48+48+66=162
7 teams per league make the playoff
2 division winners and best wild card get byes.
4 remaining teams….
Monday 7 vs 6
Tuesday winner on Monday plays 5
Wednesday winner of Tuesday plays 4
Thursday we have 4 teams
Me too. 👎

Reactions: Rutgers56
To me, a balanced schedule is playing all other opponents and equal number of times. An example is the Premiership. 20 clubs, play other 19 clubs 2x for a 38 match schedule. I realize this would be virtually impossible for MLB. I guess MLB considers balanced to play some number of games against every other club in MLB.

What the hell is the use of having divisions and leagues?

To me, a balanced schedule is playing all other opponents and equal number of times. An example is the Premiership. 20 clubs, play other 19 clubs 2x for a 38 match schedule. I realize this would be virtually impossible for MLB. I guess MLB considers balanced to play some number of games against every other club in MLB.
Because of that balanced schedule, the team with the best regular season is the PL champion. They don’t need a playoff to crown it’s champion. Perfect.

Reactions: Phi_1055
I had to look up what happened with the DH…I assumed they had done away with it…instead 😆 I know of a few purists that are no doubt screaming like a snowflake on election night 2016! ☺️☺️

It is a more balanced schedule. Or should I say, less imbalanced. 14/6 vs. 19/6.

ADVERTISEMENT