ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Monmouth County Breweries

R1766U

Senior
Jan 17, 2014
NJ
Finally got some time this weekend to visit a few of the local breweries in the Monmouth county area. Would love to hear some feedback/tips on any of them.

Was looking to check out Carton and then deciding between the ones in Asbury and Kane.

Was at Beach Haus once, but never upstairs on the roof ( wasn't open at the time).

Thanks

Little Dog Brewery in Neptune City!
Small place, owned & operated by Gretchen, the former master brewer of the big place in Redbank. She's awesome. Nice little tasting room, great staff. Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Also, the Asberry Park brewery is pretty nice, it's tucked away around the corner from the Saint, but inside it's impressive operation and a nice little tasting room where they have live music on weekends.

Carton, Kane and Dark City in Asbury Park are all fantastic. Jughandle in Tinton Falls I've heard good things about as well.

Kane and Dark City have the best product. Also the staff at both are the most pleasant and informed.

Small place, owned & operated by Gretchen, the former master brewer of the big place in Redbank. She's awesome. Nice little tasting room, great staff. Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
THAT's the one I couldn't remember the other day!

Sitting on the beach with some friends who just came back from Kane and I was trying to tell them about this place but could not recall the name for the life of me.

Also, the Asberry Park brewery is pretty nice, it's tucked away around the corner from the Saint, but inside it's impressive operation and a nice little tasting room where they have live music on weekends.
agreed

all good suggestions

THAT's the one I couldn't remember the other day!

Sitting on the beach with some friends who just came back from Kane and I was trying to tell them about this place but could not recall the name for the life of me.

My house is down the street- I stop by there often to fill growlers!

Carton, Kane and Dark City in Asbury Park are all fantastic. Jughandle in Tinton Falls I've heard good things about as well.
I don't think carton is in asbury. Think it's in Atlantic highlands. Check for yourself though. Unless they have two locations.

Carton is Highlands. Beach Haus is probably worst brewery in county if not state. Kane is best in state. Jughandle very good. Dark City better than Asbury Park Brew.

Thanks for all the tips. Ended up going to Carton, Kane and Asbury Park Brewery.

Kane was my favorite in atmosphere-the tasting room is a huge sectioned off part of their warehouse/brewing facility, plenty of room to spread out. Liked their Sea Cow American IPA a lot. Had an 8oz beer (I think it was the stout) was $6 and a mixed flight was $9.

Carton and Kane were neck in to to me with beer taste, I think I give the edge to Carton. Really liked the 077XX. They also only charge $5 for a flight and you get one sample of Boat free. The room however was much much smaller and very crowded.

Asbury Park Brewery had a great sour. Didnt get a flight there--stuck with that at $5 a pint. Buddy I was with did a flight and wasnt too impressed compared to the other two. Tasting room was big but we were 3 of 7 people there. Place was empty at 9:00 on Sat night.

Didnt get to try the other places as most closed around 7.

Was surprised to see how many kids were at the places. Was strange to have a family of two adults and 4 kids under the age of 10 ask to share the picnic table with us at Kane. At Carton, there was a couple with a crying baby in one of those body papooses.

Thanks again for the tips.

Is Lakewood in Monmouth county? Either way, went to Icarus brewing company on Friday. Just opened about 6 months ago. It is phenomenal.

ADVERTISEMENT