ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Morris Co family attacked by wolf in Canada

Reactions: NickRU714
Holy crap that's scary. Another reason to stay in nice hotels, lol. Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen more bear, wolf and mountain lion attacks, as people go further and further into remote locations (camping, hiking and new houses) and these animals become less afraid of humans.
Remote locations? Here in Mahwah we just had mult Coyote attacks on people and animals and forget about all the bears and even a mountain lion sighted. Or some big cat...

But crazy story and that wolf must have been huge. Our GS used to tip the scale at 112lbs when younger and highly trained as service and protection and could jump a 9 ft fence. This wolf sounded like it would have put my dog to shame. Couldn’t imagine a pack of them

Remote locations? Here in Mahwah we just had mult Coyote attacks on people and animals and forget about all the bears and even a mountain lion sighted. Or some big cat...

But crazy story and that wolf must have been huge. Our GS used to tip the scale at 112lbs when younger and highly trained as service and protection and could jump a 9 ft fence. This wolf sounded like it would have put my dog to shame. Couldn’t imagine a pack of them

Well yeah, Mahwah is remote compared to Metuchen, lol. Highly doubt it was a mountain lion - they've been considered long extinct in the eastern US (Florida panthers are different and very endangered), although they're expanding their range from the Rockies into parts of the midwest.

Was wondering the same thing about a pack of wolves - a pack like that would easily be able to take down an entire family of humans, if so inclined.

Sounds like you had an impressive GS, although websites say they jump 4-6 feet - I have no clue - just that 9 feet sounded a bit high.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...can-eastern-cougar-mountain-lion-extinct-spd/

Well yeah, Mahwah is remote compared to Metuchen, lol. Highly doubt it was a mountain lion - they've been considered long extinct in the eastern US (Florida panthers are different and very endangered), although they're expanding their range from the Rockies into parts of the midwest.

Was wondering the same thing about a pack of wolves - a pack like that would easily be able to take down an entire family of humans, if so inclined.

Sounds like you had an impressive GS, although websites say they jump 4-6 feet - I have no clue - just that 9 feet sounded a bit high.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...can-eastern-cougar-mountain-lion-extinct-spd/
Solid wall andhe didn’t clear it clean, his front legs would hit it at about 7 feet and hard to explain the bounce but rear legs just a split second after and up and over. Trained in Holland and only responded to Dutch commands. Still with us but anot jumping anymore at almost 13 years but strong as hell.

Reactions: Jm0513
Scary stuff right there!!

I'll tell you what -- I was jogging in Scotch Plains this past fall, near the North Edison border. Close to dusk. All of a sudden I saw a coyote staring at me, lurking around the corner of the house across the street. Scared the crap outta me. Picked up some rocks on the side of the road and carefully walked backward away. Told my wife and a few friends later and they thought I was an idiot and it was a dog.

On that end, my wife was over her sister's house Tuesday, and saw a coyote in Clark across the street at a neighbor's house. People were out walking their kids in strollers and all too.

Apparently some species of Whitetail deer like to surf as I saw a family the other day.

The dad was such a baby trying to hide while the mom and the kid were just walking around like nothing bothered them.

That is highly unusual behavior for a wolf.

Yes, it is very rare. IIRC, there hasn't been a human killed by a wolf in North American in over 100 years. The story said they found the wolf's body, I wonder if it was rabid.

Reactions: RUSK97
Yes, it is very rare. IIRC, there hasn't been a human killed by a wolf in North American in over 100 years. The story said they found the wolf's body, I wonder if it was rabid.
I thought they may have shot it. Must not have been rabid as there was no mention of the father having to be treated

That is just crazy. I never heard of a wolf doing anything like that. Hopefully everyone will be ok in the long run.

that's why ya don't go camping unless you have a firearm with ya

Holy crap that's scary. Another reason to stay in nice hotels, lol. Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen more bear, wolf and mountain lion attacks, as people go further and further into remote locations (camping, hiking and new houses) and these animals become less afraid of humans.

I do obstacle course races up at Mountain Creek in both the Spring and late Fall.
The races are routinely stopped because a bear(s) have been spotted near the course.

I personally saw a mother and 3 cubs run across one of the ski slopes about 200 yards below where we were all crossing one time.

It’s become kind of a joke online: Bears are the official mascot of Mountain Creek. They are the first and the last obstacle in the race.

Apparently some species of Whitetail deer like to surf as I saw a family the other day.

The dad was such a baby trying to hide while the mom and the kid were just walking around like nothing bothered them.
the buck usually sits back watching the doe and fawn and will charge anything that comes near the two.. that's normal deer behavior to keep the "family" safe while the doe gets to raise the fawn.. trust me.. you don't wanna go near em cuz that buck will charge and maime ya

the buck usually sits back watching the doe and fawn and will charge anything that comes near the two.. that's normal deer behavior to keep the "family" safe while the doe gets to raise the fawn.. trust me.. you don't wanna go near em cuz that buck will charge and maime ya

I was brought up to the belief that the doe are always the ones in the open first and the much more important Buck stays back until they are notified the coast is clear...they were not waiting to attack to protect but much more likely going to be the first to run

I saw a pack of wolves stalking bison pre-dawn in Lamar Valley at Yellowstone. We got up to see the animals and saw this magnificent view of animals in the wild. It was something I never want to run into.

Do you think wildlife from NJ believe their friends and family from NY and Pa that humans don’t grow beautiful gardens of food for them to eat but shoot them and eat them?

My Great Pyrenees were originally bred to fight off wolf packs. My largest dog weights in at 115 lbs. and is 33" at the withers. He stood next to a Wolf in captivity at AG Field Day. I looked at my Rawley and said, "I don't know about you fighting any wolves, buddy". The Wolf was bigger than him.

My Great Pyrenees were originally bred to fight off wolf packs. My largest dog weights in at 115 lbs. and is 33" at the withers. He stood next to a Wolf in captivity at AG Field Day. I looked at my Rawley and said, "I don't know about you fighting any wolves, buddy". The Wolf was bigger than him.
And then Rawley said to the wolf, "You wanna go, tough guy?"

Reactions: koleszar
And then Rawley said to the wolf, "You wanna go, tough guy?"

Too funny and I get you. Our GS(Zeus) was trained to originally be in the service. Lucky for him and us, his temperment was a little bit too hyper. Which was strange as if he was given the command to stay by his "master" he would stay until told to move. But hell, not complaining, he got a much better life and we got a great dog. Wish I knew or cared enough to bother to learn how to post a video and I am not posting personal video and pics to a public space so I can post here...but back in 2011, he was being re-certified by this guy down in Virginia and I had to go with Kevin to pick him up. And BTW- would never send him again because these guys do not take care of your dogs at all- Zeus's fur was all knotted and he stuck for weeks and at least 5 baths. But...when we picked him up, they showed me some of his drills and it was crazy. They had once of the personell dressed in one of those michilan tire outfits and the set Zeus off on a full 50 yard charge at him and attack- he took his jump from at least 10 feet away and he was trained for an arm attack so he took his first grab and locked on..Even as this guy was swinging him to try to get off- he had no shot and Zeus just kept locking in tighter until released. When this guy took off the protection, his arm was still all messed up and I am sure he was bruised for a week. Trainer was telling us that Zeus was the strongest dog he ever trained. And I can tell you he pulled me off my feet a few times. Gave Kevin a few good runs too but never got the big ole OL off his feet. lol gentlest and most friendly dog in the world until given his commands. Oh- alpha male so you didnt want to be another male dog around him either. But even then, he was in full control- he would hit another dog full force, get them in his mouth, pin them and never even leave a bite or puncture but bruised the hell out of the other dog.
This Dog would never be afraid of anything...glad we never had to test him on it.

Back in March, I was riding my bike through a park when I heard a pitter-pat behind. I looked and saw a coyote following me. I thought maybe I was about to get the business, when I saw it had an injured foot. When I looked at it it turned and went up a hill (where it stopped to look back at me). I went home to see if coyotes would attack a person and saw they did - and even people on bikes

"Cops in two Westchester County communities are warning of possibly rabid coyotes that have attacked two people and their dogs, two people on bicycles , a postal worker and a police officer in the last 24 hours. "

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...tings-on-Hudson-Yonkers-Police-475569793.html

We also had a mountain lion that was in the area and then killed by a car in CT

Claims of Mountain Lions Roaming in Connecticut Drew Groans ... Until Saturday
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/nyregion/mountain-lion-is-found-in-connecticut.html

We also had a moose come visit. That was also killed by a car

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/cortlandt/news/moose-on-loose-struck-by-vehicle-in-cortlandt/681919/

Last edited:
Back in March, I was riding my bike through a park when I heard a pitter-pat behind. I looked and saw a coyote following me. I thought maybe I was about to get the business, when I saw it had an injured foot. When I looked at it it turned and went up and hill (where it stopped to look back at me). I went home to see if coyotes would attack a person and saw they did - and even people on bikes

"Cops in two Westchester County communities are warning of possibly rabid coyotes that have attacked two people and their dogs, two people on bicycles , a postal worker and a police officer in the last 24 hours. "

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...tings-on-Hudson-Yonkers-Police-475569793.html

We also had a mountain lion that was in the area and then killed by a car in CT

Claims of Mountain Lions Roaming in Connecticut Drew Groans ... Until Saturday
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/nyregion/mountain-lion-is-found-in-connecticut.html

We also had a moose come visit. That was also killed by a car

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/cortlandt/news/moose-on-loose-struck-by-vehicle-in-cortlandt/681919/
Don't let my smile fool you... And I know they aren't 100% wolf, but walking in and 10 of them surrounding you is intense.

Reactions: ashokan
Especially in such remote locations...Firearm is a necessity...
yup... even down here in the boonies where i live, ya kinda wanna have one just in case a bear starts to bang on your windows.. even a baby bear can break one

yup... even down here in the boonies where i live, ya kinda wanna have one just in case a bear starts to bang on your windows.. even a baby bear can break one
Better not be shooting any little yellow baby duckies, Tony!

On a hot summer night
Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?

Better not be shooting any little yellow baby duckies, Tony!
oh no no no.. even though it's not bird season :P... kidding.. i only go deer hunting:).. there are strict hunting regulations down here and seasons and what you can and cannot get.. that includes fishing too

ADVERTISEMENT