ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mosquito Shield

JMORC2003

All Conference
Dec 22, 2008
Thinking about getting my yard sprayed but want to make sure it's safe for kids and their friends. On the phone they say it's a combo of natural oils and a control substance, couldn't get out of them what that actually means. I know some of you older guys used to run behind the mosquito truck, but asking anyway.

Thinking about getting my yard sprayed but want to make sure it's safe for kids and their friends. On the phone they say it's a combo of natural oils and a control substance, couldn't get out of them what that actually means. I know some of you older guys used to run behind the mosquito truck, but asking anyway.
What was wrong with that? The entire Ortley Ave block of kids are all still around healthy.

Reactions: beaced
Save your money and use this instead. I have used it for about 8 years now and it works great and is safe for pets once it dries. You hook it to your hose and spray it on all of your bushes (all sides of the bushes), all of the grass (important) and any other plants. If you don't have a fence, spray 10-15 feet into your neighbors yard as well. It lasts 8-12 weeks as well. I have not seen but a few mosquitoes this year. Good luck.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cutter-...ckyard-Bug-Control-Spray-HG-61067-6/100211822

If they won't tell you what's in it I wouldn't trust them.

Most of these sprays just kill every bug they touch, which does more harm than good.

Reactions: koleszar
Yeah I wouldn't trust that "control substance" to be anything safe. The natural oils would provide only temporary effectiveness.

What was wrong with that? The entire Ortley Ave block of kids are all still around healthy.
Are they? Average life expectancy in NJ has gone down the past few years, for the first time in history. Just because someone lives and grows up, doesn't mean it doesn't increase the risks.

Are they? Average life expectancy in NJ has gone down the past few years, for the first time in history. Just because someone lives and grows up, doesn't mean it doesn't increase the risks.
First it was just a joke. Although we all did run behind it at some or multiple points. Second I am happy to report, first hand, that they all are. We are talking 50 years ago. We have done more than simply grown up.

Best and nonharmful method attract dragonflies, green lacewings(had to introduce these), bats(can't take credit already here), birds(particularly Purple Martins). We live right next to wetlands so we thought we'd have a problem with mosquitos. We don't. The wetlands is teaming with frogs, turtles and salamanders who eat the larvae. Then those that escape their clutches, we've made our property hospitable to all the creatures above.

It takes time and people are impatient. But by not spraying and reading about what each one likes in their preferred habitat they slowly came to the property and now thrive. Once you get them on your property they stay and breed forever. You can actually buy beneficial insects and release them on your property. If the conditions are right they'll stay.

Last edited:
First it was just a joke. Although we all did run behind it at some or multiple points. Second I am happy to report, first hand, that they all are. We are talking 50 years ago. We have done more than simply grown up.
I'm just saying, cancer rates are on the rise. So the health impacts of something like that aren't always immediately obvious.

What @koleszar said.

My parent’s live on Wreck Pond in Sea Girt and there are Purple Martin houses up and down the waterfront. On both sides too...Spring Lake, Spring Lake Heights and Sea Girt.

Try building a bat house somewhere near your property as those guys supposedly can eat as many or more mosquitoes than Purple Martins.

Another thing to consider is something my wife swears by...Skin So Soft made by Avon.

I'm just saying, cancer rates are on the rise. So the health impacts of something like that aren't always immediately obvious.
I've never seen any direct study linking cancer in humans and DDT. The ban on DDT was made because of environmental issues not health issues. That and the fogging machines were not as effective in real life. DDT was banned in 1972. I don't think the rise in cancer rates has anything to do with DDT. Better testing is finding more cases than ever before might be a better reason for the rise.

This is completely anecdotal but, we had a yard sprayed last year, shortly after that my small dog started to have stomach issues, a few months later vet said she had some slight kidney issues, she is on a special diet now and her kidneys numbers are very good so she is fine. I know there is no link and they say it's safe but, I won't risk it again. Also it kills all bugs including bees.

Reactions: RUDead and koleszar
I've never seen any direct study linking cancer in humans and DDT. The ban on DDT was made because of environmental issues not health issues. That and the fogging machines were not as effective in real life. DDT was banned in 1972. I don't think the rise in cancer rates has anything to do with DDT. Better testing is finding more cases than ever before might be a better reason for the rise.
Rising cancer rates are due to many things. I wasn’t implying it was specifically DDT. Or even that cancer rates are the only impact of toxic chemicals. But,that DDT poses no threat to humans, I’d have to see some research on that. That a definitive causal link hasn’t been established can mean that there wasn’t enough data. Sounds like a likely endocrine disruptor to me.

Last edited:
Rising cancer rates are due to many things. I wasn’t implying it was specifically DDT. Or even that cancer rates are the only impact of toxic chemicals. But,that DDT poses no threat to humans, I’d have to see some research on that. That a definitive causal link hasn’t been established can mean that there wasn’t enough data. Sounds like a likely endocrine disruptor to me.
According to the CDC:

"Human health effects from DDT at low environmental doses are unknown. Following exposure to high doses, human symptoms can include vomiting, tremors or shakiness, and seizures. Laboratory animal studies showed effects on the liver and reproduction. DDT is considered a possible human carcinogen."

https://www.cdc.gov/biomonitoring/pdf/ddt_factsheet.pdf

I signed up for mosquito shield this year since my yard is always mosquito filled and we were in quarantine. Usually I don’t spend a lot of time in the yard during the summer due to my kids sports schedule and my work schedule but obviously this year was different. The spray they use works to either kill or repel mosquitoes.

But we are seeing less bugs overall. We usually have a lot of lightning bugs, but we have seen very few this summer.

I also have 2 dogs, a small garden and other plants/bushes. So far the dogs, plants and garden seem to be ok. I will report back if the dogs are ill, garden or plants die, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT