ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Movies you haven’t seen

hoquat63

All American
Mar 17, 2005
A couple of weeks back a small group of old folks like me were discussing a Jeopardy clue and some said they never saw “Citizen Kane” Got me to thinking about movies that were in theaters ( no not old enough to have seen Kane in a theater) when I was of movie going age that most people have seen but I haven’t - not even on tv replay:
Jaws
Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
Haven't seen any Star Wars.
Haven't seen a movie in a theater since Seabiscut, 2003. In the only movie released in the last 20 years I've seen on video was Dunkirk. Wasn't impressed at all.
Top Gun may get me back into theater this summer.

On the waterfront.
Shawshank redemption
Citizen Kane

Last edited:
Geez tha'ts a long lost if you actually know what you missed lol
The last time I went to a theater was for Depp's "Sweeney Todd" - which was awful
The last Best Picture I saw was "The King's Speech"
I skip most of the comic stuff, Disney stuff, Star Wars stuff, Pixar Stuff (and all the herky-jerky characters)
H'wood is so low on ideas that they are now making movies about PC games
I saw more foreign films in the 90s and aughties

A couple of weeks back a small group of old folks like me were discussing a Jeopardy clue and some said they never saw “Citizen Kane” Got me to thinking about movies that were in theaters ( no not old enough to have seen Kane in a theater) when I was of movie going age that most people have seen but I haven’t - not even on tv replay:
Jaws
Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Ok, just stop what you're doing & put on Shawshank.

I’m not a big movie person, but I haven’t seen some of the classics. I haven’t seen Gone with the Wind or Citizen Kane.
I have seen Shawshank Redemption.

Any of the Rocky ones
Any of the Godfathers
Any of the Harry Potters
Any of the Batmans
Any of the Supermans
Shawshank
Saving Pvt Ryan

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
Braveheart - never saw it but still want to see it .

If you have cable, I don’t know how you haven’t watched Shawshank once in the last 25 years

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Not missing anything. The best picture winners have been garbage for the past decade or so.

I even downloaded some of them and just couldn't watch.

Casts are weak - I read a producer who said they had to go to UK for a leading male actor because US guys are mostly NY/LA waiters in tight pants

Dances with Wolves.

You guys need to go rent Shawshank tonight. One of my favorites.

Reactions: batts
I get the batman/superman/avatar and even Harry Potter, which I have enjoyed all of them but the rest are must see.
Literally no interest…so probably never will…I see very few movies and the ones I do fit a very limited set of genres 🤷🏻‍♂️

Now that I look at some of these lists, believe it or not, I don't think I have seen the Godfathers all the way through. Goodfellas is a much different story...

Driving Miss Daisy
How to Sew an American Quilt
ET
The Bridges of Madison County
Sleepless in Seattle

a lot of the "Top Films of all time" or most famous ones from when I was a kid in the 80s, I haven't caught up on yet... my list of movies to eventually catch up on

Animal House
Apocalypse Now
As Good as it Gets
Basic Instinct
Citizen Kane
Fast Ties at Ridgemont High
Footloose
Gone with the Wind
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Schindler's List
Taxi Driver
The King of Comedy
The Revenant
The Shining
The Warriors
There Will Be Blood
Vertigo

I've never seen more than 5 minutes of any Godfather movie and only saw the first Star Wars. I can also second everything on Zappa's list.
On the other hand, I have watched The Benchwarmers several times...great cameo for Reggie Jackson...I'm not sure if it was Spielberg or Coppola who directed that one.

Never been much of a blockbuster watcher, much prefer independent films and cult classics with an actual plot and well-developed characters. Westerns don't really have those characteristics, but love them anyway.

Skipped most Marvel movies, all Lord of the Rings, Harry Potters, Avatar, any Star Wars movie in the last 2 decades, the obligatory yearly space movies, etc. Also skip war movies.

Never saw the ancient classics like Citizen Kane, either.

Used to go to the movies like once a week, but have only been to a single movie in the past 15. Not many movies worth spending an evening and $$ on. Similar to sports, home theater and hundreds of movies available on-demand have raised the at-home experience higher than the theater.

I think the only movies I haven't seen that I do intend to catch up on at some point are The Godfather Part 2 and The Matrix.

Now that I look at some of these lists, believe it or not, I don't think I have seen the Godfathers all the way through. Goodfellas is a much different story...
I just watched 1& 2 two weekends ago.

I also haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies.

Side note -- I do miss Blockbuster! I can't be the only one.

There was something to the experience of going out to the video store and scouring every rack for just the right film. Streaming doesn't really recreate that, and neither does Redbox.

Would be fun to do once in a while for old time's sake, but I'll take the time-saving convenience of streaming. Can watch an entire movie in the time some of those more trying Hollwood vid/Blockbuster trips took.

Also, the old Blockbuster turned into one of my favorite local stores, so onwards and upwards.

Never been much of a blockbuster watcher, much prefer independent films and cult classics with an actual plot and well-developed characters. Westerns don't really have those characteristics, but love them anyway.

Skipped most Marvel movies, all Lord of the Rings, Harry Potters, Avatar, any Star Wars movie in the last 2 decades, the obligatory yearly space movies, etc. Also skip war movies.

Never saw the ancient classics like Citizen Kane, either.

Used to go to the movies like once a week, but have only been to a single movie in the past 15. Not many movies worth spending an evening and $$ on. Similar to sports, home theater and hundreds of movies available on-demand have raised the at-home experience higher than the theater.
We were shown Citizen Kane in school - I enjoyed it for a kid with a limited attention span. Otherwise, probably would not have seen it.

Reactions: fsg2
Jaws
Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

You had to love them both.
Like watching the Sopranos
I did. It had been a while. Funny thing though. Like many, I used to say 1 was great and 2 was better. Watching back to back, 2 was great but 1 was the best.
Even the opening 5 mins of 1 just had you hook line and sinker.

Reactions: zappaa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT