ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Moving out of state

ejgonz

All Conference
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2003
Hey, the Mrs and I (both RU grads) are considering moving out of state with our 4 kids (10, 8, 8, and 5).

This is assuming I will be able to work at home 100% or only have to travel into the office monthly once the pandemic is over.

She wants to move to a warmer climate with a lower cost of living. But, we also want somewhere with a politically progressive/democrat vibe (no political arguments please). We’re thinking about Atlanta and maybe Austin.

I’m more inclined to stay for family and career (I’m in pharma research). But I’m open to the idea because of the climate and cost of living.

For those who’ve moved away, what do you feel like you’ve given up? What are the downsides as you see them?

TIA!

Hey, the Mrs and I (both RU grads) are considering moving out of state with our 4 kids (10, 8, 8, and 5).

This is assuming I will be able to work at home 100% or only have to travel into the office monthly once the pandemic is over.

She wants to move to a warmer climate with a lower cost of living. But, we also want somewhere with a politically progressive/democrat vibe (no political arguments please). We’re thinking about Atlanta and maybe Austin.

I’m more inclined to stay for family and career (I’m in pharma research). But I’m open to the idea because of the climate and cost of living.

For those who’ve moved away, what do you feel like you’ve given up? What are the downsides as you see them?

TIA!
the flight home from ATL is much better just fyi.

I get the warmer climate as our winters are brutal. NJ schools are one of the highest ranked in the country. Atlanta and Austin are not gonna cut it in that category. The city of Atlanta is very progressive and it def has better weather can you afford to live in Buckhead? That’s the best Atlanta has to offer and the highways and parking is a disaster there. Very little public transportation if you care about that. Politically once you are out of Atlanta it’s not very progressive.

I see you went for the 4th kid ! More power to you
Are the 8 year olds twins ? Irish twins ?

No state income tax in the Lone Star State. Texas has a slightly higher sales tax, 8.19, compared to 7.31 in Georgia.

Reactions: JRZEER
Having moved a couple of times, you would be shocked how inferior public schools are in most places compared to NJ. So, you must factor in private schools unless you’re in top school district. If you want a good mix of all factors, northern VA, Raleigh (research triangle), and some areas in Miami and TB area I would look at.

For what you are looking for, the Mrs and I are looking for similar but no interest at all in Atlanta, We were thinking of one of the Carolina's. Both have great waterfront properties at great prices and super low property taxes. Most we see tend to be in the 2-5k range for houses that are between 400-700k.

Ejgonz, never been to Texas, but I did live outside of Columbia, South Carolina for two and a half years. Be prepared for a longgg, hot Summer with humidity that doesn’t let up. I can remember sweating at the end of March and early April and still wearing shorts and a T shirt at Gamecocks games in November. New Jersey has humidity in July and August but for the most part nights are enjoyable. Down South, it can be Midnight and it is still disgusting. Some people love that weather, though. To each his own. Like South Carolina, Georgia is a beautiful state. Kind of a weird hobby I have, but I collect tourism guides from each state, and Texas has every kind of scenery—the coast, West Texas, The Hill Country, the Northeast section near Louisiana are all different.

Reactions: herdof3
Having moved a couple of times, you would be shocked how inferior public schools are in most places compared to NJ. So, you must factor in private schools unless you’re in top school district. If you want a good mix of all factors, northern VA, Raleigh (research triangle), and some areas in Miami and TB area I would look at.
Miami and Tampa are not so progressive though which is what the op wants.

For what you are looking for, the Mrs and I are looking for similar but no interest at all in Atlanta, We were thinking of one of the Carolina's. Both have great waterfront properties at great prices and super low property taxes. Most we see tend to be in the 2-5k range for houses that are between 400-700k.
Just curious, why no interest in Atlanta?

All things considered I'd look closest at the Research Triangle in North Carolina (blue area in a purple state) and Austin (blue area in a red state). I have family in both areas who like those locations.

Reactions: Unionst and redking
Austin is a poop hole...going quickly the way of SF...property taxes there are insane and climbing very quickly!

San Diego is beautiful...I hear great things about Portland, Seattle, Tucson, Denver and Las Vegas...and much warmer than NJ

But nowhere near NJ, as my brother in Dallas tells me.
Lived in Westlake Texas and Moorestown as an adult. Property taxes are about 2.2 percent of value of home in Texas. More than Moorestown. No state income tax as stated above. Austin is progressive. Though getting less conservative, rest of Texas has a ways to go if that is what you are looking for.
Never lived in Georgia. Done business in Marietta. Farther away from Atlanta you go less progressive.
Summers are brutal in Texas. North of 100 for most of late July through mid September. Pool water temperature is north of 90. Which feels refreshing.
I was in central market (supermarket) where a guy was buying a ton of ice. Stated you must be throwing one heck of a party. He said no, using it to cool the pool off.

Reactions: RUnTeX and MrWise
With four kids, the quality of the school systems should be your top priority and several of the comments above reflect the reality that it will be difficult to find a school system as good as what you're leaving behind. Don't even think about Arizona - the schools here are terrible, ranking statewide among the 5 lowest states in the country. Property taxes are ridiculously low but you get what you pay for, which is to say, very little - terrible schools with poorly paid teachers, roads that are in poor repair, despite a climate that does not wreak havoc on them like the freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw that tears up roads in the Mid-Atlantic states.

You might take a look at University communities. They tend to be more progressive and are populated by people who place a great deal of emphasis on education and, therefore, good schools for their kids.

Good luck.

I love Raleigh, NC. I moved down here in 2010. I like visiting Jeresy and NYC, however, would not want to move back. The quality of life down here is great. Property tax and warmer weather were the key to my move. This is a big Pharmaceutical hub. Wake County offers year-round school for elementary and middle school students. Kids go to school for 9 weeks then get a 3-week break. The beer selection down here is great, too. The summers are hot as...

Agree, the school system would be the #1 factor for the town we’d move to.

Reactions: Greg2020
Are you considering Southern California and Arizona?

I work for a German company, the time zone difference would be too much. Plus I’d want somewhere with shorter flights if/when I do need to be in the office.

RTP sounds like the perfect fit for you. I know someone who recently moved to NC from NJ and love it.

Lived in Westlake Texas and Moorestown as an adult. Property taxes are about 2.2 percent of value of home in Texas. More than Moorestown. No state income tax as stated above. Austin is progressive. Though getting less conservative, rest of Texas has a ways to go if that is what you are looking for.
Never lived in Georgia. Done business in Marietta. Farther away from Atlanta you go less progressive.
Summers are brutal in Texas. North of 100 for most of late July through mid September. Pool water temperature is north of 90. Which feels refreshing.
I was in central market (supermarket) where a guy was buying a ton of ice. Stated you must be throwing one heck of a party. He said no, using it to cool the pool off.

But what would the property in Moorestown be valued in Texas, even Westlake?

Move to Florida, OP. Nicer weather, lower taxes, though you’ll be dealing with lower caliber of people, shops close early, state services aren’t as good, mass transit is pretty much no existent, things are more expensive, and food is expensive and not as good. Also free radio and TV stinks.

Reactions: Greg2020
Go to southern Cal or Atlanta.

it seems like youre leaving for weather rather than because of how poorly the state is run. So southern cal is probably best bet

Reactions: 216 Row E
Move to Florida, OP. Nicer weather, lower taxes, though you’ll be dealing with lower caliber of people, shops close early, state services aren’t as good, mass transit is pretty much no existent, things are more expensive, and food is expensive and not as good. Also free radio and TV stinks.
Progressive/dem run is basically the opposite of florida haha. Atlanta or southern cal is the move imo.

But what would the property in Moorestown be valued in Texas, even Westlake?
Interesting question. Cost per square foot higher in Westlake than Moorestown. Spitballing, house would be worth 20 percent more? Capping deductibility of property tax hurt me in Texas. Fortunately no state income tax. Overall, Jersey more expensive.

What does that mean?

Progressive/dem run is basically the opposite of florida haha. Atlanta or southern cal is the move imo.

Warmer climate with lower cost of living are the keywords. That is totally Florida, because California is a high cost state. Won’t be able to get much , asking your Jersey home and moving to CA. Much of South Florida is built by New York and New Jerseyans. Not much difference living in South Florida vs NY/NJ. California there is a huge cultural shift. Atlanta is a nice place to visit but just not for me.

Warmer climate with lower cost of living are the keywords. That is totally Florida, because California is a high cost state. Won’t be able to get much , asking your Jersey home and moving to CA. Much of South Florida is built by New York and New Jerseyans. Not much difference living in South Florida vs NY/NJ. California there is a huge cultural shift. Atlanta is a nice place to visit but just not for me.
He seems pretty adamant about progressive/democrat. The people in south florida laugh and make fun of anyone who even considers protesting lol

Reactions: 216 Row E
ADVERTISEMENT