ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Murphy to order all New Jerseyans to Wear masks outdoors (when social distancing isn’t possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it sad that most of the usual suspects who want to make their own decision on wearing a mask are also the ones who argue the govt should restrict decision making on a certain sex at times.
Which one(s)?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yeah,

I always get a giggle when I see a solo driver wearing a mask.

I do this a lot, and will continue to do it ... so I’m happy to make you giggle !

If you have more than one stop, what is the alternative? take it on and off at each stop ? Even if you are careful, you are likely touching something at each stop, and then touching your face when you take off your mask and put it back on ... it’s easier to just leave it on. It’s not like wearing a mask is difficult.

Reactions: Greg2020
Agreed. I left my house to drive to the hospital for an appointment at about 6:30am today. Muggy morning, nice and empty and quiet though at that hour. Not usually on the road quite yet that early. I couldn't believe in otherwise empty local neighborhoods, the individual people and what looked to be husbands and wives wearing masks while walking. And what I loved even more was the husband and wife separated by several feet either staggered front to back or side by side walking and in masks. God love em man. I can't imagine what it's like inside their houses.

Mind you these weren't crowds or anything. It was 6:30am. Just people on various local backroads doing this. I was waiting to see a deer wearing a mask that someone slapped on it.

good for those people ! If they are wearing their mask at 6:30am, you can be sure they are wearing it at other times too. If everyone followed their lead, we would be in Phase 4 of re-opening now.

Also, even at 6:30am, there are occasionally people walking the other direction on the sidewalk. What would you suggest? Put it on and take it off everytime someone walks past. It’s easier to just put it on and leave it on.

Perhaps after someone explains why a simple mask when your out and about possibly interacting with others is such horrible infringement on your daily life.

tenor.gif

Because I've seen zero evidence of community spread from outdoor situations. I said earlier in this thread that I'd be happy to read up if someone has evidence to the contrary.

If there's zero is statistically zero chance of outdoor transmission happening, why is this executive order necessary?

I don't think that requiring masks in indoor public spaces as well as outdoors when not social distancing is, practically speaking, a horrible infringement on the public. Threatening up to $1,000 fines or six months in jail for non-compliance of a requirement implemented via executive does elevate it to horrible infringement of our rights, in my opinion.
Well said

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I don't think that requiring masks in indoor public spaces as well as outdoors when not social distancing is, practically speaking, a horrible infringement on the public. Threatening up to $1,000 fines or six months in jail for non-compliance of a requirement implemented via executive order does elevate it to horrible infringement of our rights, in my opinion.

Your rights end when they potentially infringe on others' rights to be healthy and well. Unfortunately, Murphy had to put some weight behind the Executive Order, in an an effort to close the gap between common sense compliance and willful defiance. Hey...as long as you don't play stupid games, you don't have to fear stupid prizes.

Screw the mask and distance crap. The jackass in Trenton 2 weeks ago broke another one of his orders. Taking selfies with admirers in a restaurant.

Reactions: RocktheRac
The people driving with masks on drive erratically due to lack of oxygen. Watch them. It's hilarious.

NYC mayor, Wilhelm, said he's banning all large gatherings in the city through September due to CV

With one exception, BLM Inc gatherings.

Is that constitutional?
Will the ACLU get involved, seems like that is right up their alley

This is obviously not right, favoritism, but legally, can a govt official ban everyone from assembling except a particular group?

Lawyers?

Reactions: Postman_1
Your rights end when they potentially infringe on others' rights to be healthy and well. Unfortunately, Murphy had to put some weight behind the Executive Order, in an an effort to close the gap between common sense compliance and willful defiance. Hey...as long as you don't play stupid games, you don't have to fear stupid prizes.
You meant to say play stupid games or protest and loot, right?

Funny that you evoke one of my favorite takeaways from the U.S. constitutions. Because generally, I do agree with the notion that one's right to throw a punch ends where another's nose begins.
However, there are several problems with your post in this particular case:

1. The order in question is an executive order, rather a law that was passed by any legislature. The Constitution is clear that the legislative branch makes the laws, the executive branch enforces them, and courts determine their constitutionality. Executive orders have of course been used by national, state, and some local authorities, but are subject to being overridden by legislation and court review (more on this below).
2. A fine of $1,000 can easily be argued as excessive, and 6-month jail term unusual punishment, merely for refusing to wear a cloth mask over your face while outdoors in fresh air, either of which would constitute a violation of the 8th Amendment.
3. The numerous executive orders that have outright shut down or otherwise limited economic activity, effectively limited intrastate and interstate travel, and trampled all over 1st Amendment-guaranteed individual rights as I explained in my earlier post, may be considered borderline acceptable during a period of national emergency, as could be argued was the case when COVID-19 was a new nationwide pandemic with completely unknown effects, transmission, and treatments during March & April 2020. However, continuing violations of the Constitution by states/cities will not pass muster once numerous lawsuits by businesses and individuals make their way through the courts, simply because it is not reasonable to continue a national emergency for months on end when there are now proven ways to greatly reduce virus transmission, as well as much more effective known treatments for those sick and hospitalized.
4. Masks are of course effective indoors with still or artificially ventilated air, but even then not a 100% guarantee in preventing transmission of the COVID-19 virus, which is widely known at this point. Private businesses and other publicly accessible buildings are of course free to require their patrons to wear masks or take any other reasonable precautions in order to allow access. Outdoors, masks are recommended only when people gather closely together; otherwise, the risk of outdoor transmission of COVID-19 is believed to be very low. Therefore, the argument that my wearing a mask would somehow guarantee your health and wellness falls flat on its face, and does not merit an executive order with that very requirement.

Honest question not trying to flame. How many people actually know someone who has actually had Covid? I swear it's only people from Hollywood and Athletes that catch this. In my entire circle which includes at least 300 individual people not one of them has had covid or even knows someone who has caught it. It's kind of hilarious to me as here we are however many months later after the media kept telling us we're going to die for just walking outside, I still have not met a single person who has caught it or even knows someone who has....

Honest question not trying to flame. How many people actually know someone who has actually had Covid? I swear it's only people from Hollywood and Athletes that catch this. In my entire circle which includes at least 300 individual people not one of them has had covid or even knows someone who has caught it. It's kind of hilarious to me as here we are however many months later after the media kept telling us we're going to die for just walking outside, I still have not met a single person who has caught it or even knows someone who has....

I do.

So do many others who have posted on the board.

Stick to disc golf.

I live in a development of 110 homes. I personally know 4 people who have died of Covid19
just in my neighborhood.

Consider yourself very lucky, then. Unfortunately I know not only people who have had it, but also two people who have passed from it. Three of my employees have had it, two of my clients have had it. It’s a nasty nasty disease that really screws with the health and morale of those it infects. Tonight I learned one of my friends from high school (37 years old) has had it for weeks and went to the ER tonight.

Consider yourself very lucky, then. Unfortunately I know not only people who have had it, but also two people who have passed from it. Three of my employees have had it, two of my clients have had it. It’s a nasty nasty disease that really screws with the health and morale of those it infects. Tonight I learned one of my friends from high school (37 years old) has had it for weeks and went to the ER tonight.
perhaps I am lucky, I'm out in Carroll County Md and our cases have been minimal this entire time. It really hasn't impacted daily life out here besides not being able to go to concerts and large gatherings, Like I said I wasn't trying to flame, I genuinely do not know a single person who has been impacted by this disease outside of Job loss.... There's a lot more of that going on than Covid out here. people losing their jobs and savings but hey we have to protect grandma right?

Yes.

The 170,000 + positives in NJ and 15,000 + deaths in NJ are all celebrities and athletes.

You nailed it.

perhaps I am lucky, I'm out in Carroll County Md and our cases have been minimal this entire time. It really hasn't impacted daily life out here besides not being able to go to concerts and large gatherings, Like I said I wasn't trying to flame, I genuinely do not know a single person who has been impacted by this disease outside of Job loss.... There's a lot more of that going on than Covid out here. people losing their jobs and savings but hey we have to protect grandma right?

Carroll County is nice country, and yeah, only 1,200 cases and 114 deaths there so far. Carroll County’s population is over 160,000. We’ll have had that many deaths nationwide in a week or two.

Everyone I know who died from it, and it’s more than a few, had some other stuff going on too.

Google is your friend:
Carroll County: Pop. 168,447 (2019)
Confirmed cases of Covid19: 1,192
Deaths: 114

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT