ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Murphy to order all New Jerseyans to Wear masks outdoors (when social distancing isn’t possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carroll County is nice country, and yeah, only 1,200 cases and 114 deaths there so far. Carroll County’s population is over 160,000. We’ll have had that many deaths nationwide in a week or two.
And of those 1200 cases over 700 are in senior living centers which I grew is quite sad, however that really puts it into perspective that in 3 months+ we’ve had about 500 cases outside of senior centers in total...

Lol maybe New Jersey should look at Carroll county for advice!

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
I believe a 1000 fine and 6 month in jail is the maximum penalty you can get for a disorderly persons charge.

So not wearing a mask is subject to the equivalent of a disorderly person charge

Reactions: Greg2020
Honest question not trying to flame. How many people actually know someone who has actually had Covid? I swear it's only people from Hollywood and Athletes that catch this. In my entire circle which includes at least 300 individual people not one of them has had covid or even knows someone who has caught it. It's kind of hilarious to me as here we are however many months later after the media kept telling us we're going to die for just walking outside, I still have not met a single person who has caught it or even knows someone who has....

My boss at work got it and recovered. My high school friend’s 29 year old daughter got it and died (if you go to People Magazine website, you can read about her).

My boss at work got it and recovered. My high school friend’s 29 year old daughter got it and died (if you do to People Magazine website, you can read about her).
Sorry to hear about the young lady passing.

My step-fathers best friend, mid-seventies died from it. In hospital, intubated, got well enough to go home, got home, got worse, passed.

SF's 52 year old female cousin got it and recovered. No hospital time.

My boss at work got it and recovered. My high school friend’s 29 year old daughter got it and died (if you go to People Magazine website, you can read about her).
If she was the People employee, she appears to have been obese. This is not intended to be mean, but is is well-established that obesity is one of the major co-morbidities of covid-19 deaths. Some people have a difficult time with weight management despite trying

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7217103/
I am sorry about the death of your friend's daughter. She seemed like a really great person, and covid-19 has taken a lot of young, vibrant and excellent people from this world.

If she was the People employee, she appears to have been obese. This is not intended to be mean, but is is well-established that obesity is one of the major co-morbidities of covid-19 deaths. Some people have a difficult time with weight management despite trying

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7217103/
I am sorry about the death of your friend's daughter. She seemed like a really great person, and covid-19 has taken a lot of young, vibrant and excellent people from this world.

Fat people have a right to live too, and they should be allowed to have some sort of normal life, even in the coronavirus era. 29 is too young to die. If everyone would just wear a mask at ALL times and social distance, we could end this coronavirus within a few months.

Fat people have a right to live too, and they should be allowed to have some sort of normal life, even in the coronavirus era. 29 is too young to die. If everyone would just wear a mask at ALL times and social distance, we could end this coronavirus within a few months.
I never said anything to the contrary. The story does not say how she contracted the virus. Wearing a mask at all times is a bit extreme. Did she social distance? My elderly mother and a family member who is severely immunocompromised are very careful about going out in public. We often do shopping for them.

Reactions: bac2therac
perhaps I am lucky, I'm out in Carroll County Md and our cases have been minimal this entire time. It really hasn't impacted daily life out here besides not being able to go to concerts and large gatherings, Like I said I wasn't trying to flame, I genuinely do not know a single person who has been impacted by this disease outside of Job loss.... There's a lot more of that going on than Covid out here. people losing their jobs and savings but hey we have to protect grandma right?

That is right, #!$@.

I never said anything to the contrary. The story does not say how she contracted the virus. Wearing a mask at all times is a bit extreme. Did she social distance? My elderly mother and a family member who is severely immunocompromised are very careful about going out in public. We often do shopping for them.

Lmao. How's your foot taste.

Not every thought that pops in your head is worth verbalizing, slick.

Last edited:
Honest question not trying to flame. How many people actually know someone who has actually had Covid? I swear it's only people from Hollywood and Athletes that catch this. In my entire circle which includes at least 300 individual people not one of them has had covid or even knows someone who has caught it. It's kind of hilarious to me as here we are however many months later after the media kept telling us we're going to die for just walking outside, I still have not met a single person who has caught it or even knows someone who has....
I know many who have had it and a few who died.

Funny that you evoke one of my favorite takeaways from the U.S. constitutions. Because generally, I do agree with the notion that one's right to throw a punch ends where another's nose begins.
However, there are several problems with your post in this particular case:

1. The order in question is an executive order, rather a law that was passed by any legislature. The Constitution is clear that the legislative branch makes the laws, the executive branch enforces them, and courts determine their constitutionality. Executive orders have of course been used by national, state, and some local authorities, but are subject to being overridden by legislation and court review (more on this below).
2. A fine of $1,000 can easily be argued as excessive, and 6-month jail term unusual punishment, merely for refusing to wear a cloth mask over your face while outdoors in fresh air, either of which would constitute a violation of the 8th Amendment.
3. The numerous executive orders that have outright shut down or otherwise limited economic activity, effectively limited intrastate and interstate travel, and trampled all over 1st Amendment-guaranteed individual rights as I explained in my earlier post, may be considered borderline acceptable during a period of national emergency, as could be argued was the case when COVID-19 was a new nationwide pandemic with completely unknown effects, transmission, and treatments during March & April 2020. However, continuing violations of the Constitution by states/cities will not pass muster once numerous lawsuits by businesses and individuals make their way through the courts, simply because it is not reasonable to continue a national emergency for months on end when there are now proven ways to greatly reduce virus transmission, as well as much more effective known treatments for those sick and hospitalized.
4. Masks are of course effective indoors with still or artificially ventilated air, but even then not a 100% guarantee in preventing transmission of the COVID-19 virus, which is widely known at this point. Private businesses and other publicly accessible buildings are of course free to require their patrons to wear masks or take any other reasonable precautions in order to allow access. Outdoors, masks are recommended only when people gather closely together; otherwise, the risk of outdoor transmission of COVID-19 is believed to be very low. Therefore, the argument that my wearing a mask would somehow guarantee your health and wellness falls flat on its face, and does not merit an executive order with that very requirement.

I actually think there's a chance the NJ Supreme Court would hem in this order, but I don't believe NYS has fined anyone with a nearly identical order. If they have it's been quiet.

And there needs to be someone fined to have standing.

It's an order but it's meant to encourage. I have heard from the police first hand they are taking a light touch on COVID related orders and sticking to encouragement. Which I think this is what this does. I doubt you see cops roving the beach taking out measuring tape and saying you're maskless and 5 feet away.

I actually think there's a chance the NJ Supreme Court would hem in this order, but I don't believe NYS has fined anyone with a nearly identical order. If they have it's been quiet.

And there needs to be someone fined to have standing.

It's an order but it's meant to encourage. I have heard from the police first hand they are taking a light touch on COVID related orders and sticking to encouragement. Which I think this is what this does. I doubt you see cops roving the beach taking out measuring tape and saying you're maskless and 5 feet away.
Middlesex County will be doing it at games probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT