ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Murphy to order all New Jerseyans to Wear masks outdoors (when social distancing isn’t possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone already gave the reason in the thread.

Nothing has really changed except one thing.

Reactions: Greg2020
Germany and other Europe countries have geographical areas that are rural like South Dakota, yet their national plans worked.

You realize Germany is part of the EU like NY is part of USA. There was no European Union plan, it was a German plan.

Yes I do know Germany is 2x the population of California, but it's also geographically smaller.

I mean to be fair, I've been doing this while at work for the past few months. We don't wear masks in my office. We are so spread out, that the closest office to mine is probably 25+ feet. When I go to the bathroom down the hall, I put the mask on. I don't like it but I do. The building surprisingly doesn't have a policy. Yet. But inevitably, if I wear a mask, I'll pass a lady from next door in the hall without one on. If I don't wear a mask, I'll pass a guy in the hall with one on. So more or less it seems to me in the building common sense, says wear one in public areas.

When I leave and enter the downtown I wear the mask. I actually didn't back in April because it was a ghost town here. Why bother when no one was around? Now it's busy and I just wear it when walking to and from the parking garage.

But the second I walk away from the downtown, like the park or something, that sucker is off. I surely don't plan to wear one on the beach when I go down for a few weeks next month. Nor do I wear one when I bike or jog because literally no one is near me or I always move to other side of street if I see someone coming.

Doesn't seem that complicated. I despise this Murphy character with a passion and think he has no clue what he is doing. But some of this stuff as far as the mask seems like common sense. But people will no doubt not want to listen to his mandate, because everyone is sick of being told what to do. And sick of the hypocrisy.

The virus and lack of a national plan are "destroying the country". Someone's got to fill the leadership void. We're in this situation because others weren't willing to step up. Just look at the southern and western states now.

You want to go back to March - May? I don't.
One size does not fit all in this country. It’s the height of stupidity to even suggest it. Mayors in NYC and LA and their governors really screwed up. Bad.

Reactions: JRZEER and ru1869
"No national plan, Govs are left to figure things out on their own"
And this is exactly how the individual states wanted thing to work when this country and its government were created. Sparsely populated states like Montana, North Dakota etc., have so few cases and minimal community spread and and have a drastically different need for government regulation of things like masks. Fortunately the government was set up to account for differences like this.
Exactly.

Murphy is a man with am intellectual Napoleon complex, constantly wanting to prove that he is the smartest man in the room. This is nothing new and if you ever met and talked to him prior to running for governor, you can't be surprised by this order or the mess at motor vehicle yesterday. He might indeed be smart, but he often doesn't think things thru in a rush to assert intellectual dominance and control over those around him.
Lol. Thanks for the psychoanalysis.

Reactions: Greg2020
why can't people just use common sense. I keep mine in my hand, if I'm walking directly past someone I cover my face. It really shouldn't be this hard
Bingo!

When I walk in the morning, I just give everyone a wide berth when I pass them. Usually, unless there's more than one other person, people cross to the other side of the street when passing someone. Totally unnecessary to have a mask.

Murphy is going by what the World Health Organization said about the characteristics of the virus, but they are not smart people. The virus does not live long in the air outside, it can't take the outside elements. It lives in the air longer inside buildings and gets circulated around in the air vents, we already knew this. It is old news.

Reactions: Caliknight
why can't people just use common sense. I keep mine in my hand, if I'm walking directly past someone I cover my face. It really shouldn't be this hard
Awesome idea, makes complete sense.

But, from what I can see, a lot don't do this. If everyone did, we wouldn't need daddy to tell us what to do.

Unfortunately, some people act like children, so we get daddy.

This is not a big deal. Just wear your mask outside if you're around others that's all. As some have mentioned a decent amount of people have been doing it anyway. I was at Sourland Mountain on the 4th and we had our masks on when passing people and then just took them off when in free space.

when social distancing isn’t possible.

Some of you are UNBELIEVABLE. Wearing a surgical mask when near someone is like asking some of you to get I LOVE PENN STATE tattooed across your forehead. JFC. Is it common sense? of course! But unfortunately, if you look around, there have been too many people NOT using common sense.
Wow, I am so impressed by you who refuse to obey the law, which is just common courtesy.

Think about it this way... the board of health mandates that "employees must wash hands before returning to work" is it hard to enforce? Absolutely. Should it be common sense? Absolutely. Should we drop that mandate because America is a free country and I don't like washing my hands? Are the local board of health departments exhibiting too much control and power? Give me a break.

Go to the beach, wear a surgical mask while walking to your spot, then take it off. Oh the humanity.

So if you are out in public and around other people where you cannot maintain distance, we should wear a mask.

It seems to me that this is a sensible approach that most have been using. I figured that was the rule already, but of course you see packed boardwalks with people not wearing masks, etc.

Why is everyone so upset? Am I missing something.

The implementation of face coverings was never to reduce the rate of Covid transmission (RT) to zero. Never. The goal of face coverings was to provide a method to get RT<1 which is a negative spread of the virus (cases going down not up).

The fact this is a controversial position is mind boggling. If you want businesses to resume, schools to reopen, the American economy to recover in any meaningful way before a vaccine, etc there needs to be a national mandate of face coverings.

Below is a pretty good research paper from the National Academy of Sciences that speaks to the efficacy and importance of face coverings to control the virus.

Understanding the Impacts of Face Covering

"Compared to the simultaneous implementation of measures in China, intervention measures were successively implemented in the western world (Fig. 2A), providing an opportunity for assessing their relative effectiveness. We quantified the effects of face covering by projecting the number of infections based on the data prior to implementing the use of face masks in Italy on April 6 and NYC on April 17 (Fig. 2A; see Methods). Such projections are reasonable considering the excellent linear correlation for the data prior to the onset of mandated face covering (Fig. 2 B and C and SI Appendix, Fig. S1). Our analysis indicates that face covering reduced the number of infections by over 78,000 in Italy from April 6 to May 9 and by over 66,000 in NYC from April 17 to May 9. In addition, varying the correlation from 15 d to 30 d prior to the onset of the implementation reveals little difference in the projection for both places, because of the high correlation coefficients (SI Appendix, Fig. S1). Notably, the trends of the infection curves in Italy and NYC contrast to those in the world and in the United States (Fig. 1C), which show little deviation from the linearity due to the nonimplementation of face-covering measures globally and nationally, respectively. The inability of social distancing, quarantine, and isolation alone to curb the spread of COVID-19 is also evident from the linearity of the infection curve prior to the onset of the face-covering rule in Italy on April 6 and in NYC on April 17 (Fig. 2 B and C). Hence, the difference made by implementing face covering significantly shapes the pandemic trends worldwide."

Conclusions

"Our analysis reveals that the difference with and without mandated face covering represents the determinant in shaping the trends of the pandemic worldwide. We conclude that wearing of face masks in public corresponds to the most effective means to prevent interhuman transmission, and this inexpensive practice, in conjunction with extensive testing, quarantine, and contact tracking, poses the most probable fighting opportunity to stop the COVID-19 pandemic, prior to the development of a vaccine."

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/26/14857

Trying to distract all the negative attention from the DMV fiasco.
tenor.gif

True but no coincidence that he didn't make note of the debacle taking place down in Florida either.

Florida has tested 700,000 more people than NJ. NJ has 15,000+ deaths and FL has 3,000+ deaths. NJ has 1,700 deaths per million while FL has 179 deaths per million.

In the state of Florida if you are 54 and under and infected — is .0000194.

You realize Germany is part of the EU like NY is part of USA. There was no European Union plan, it was a German plan.

Yes I do know Germany is 2x the population of California, but it's also geographically smaller.
You realize Germany is a country it's not a state. There was a national plan.

Reactions: fsg2
One size does not fit all in this country. It’s the height of stupidity to even suggest it. Mayors in NYC and LA and their governors really screwed up. Bad.

So if NJ has, after the 2nd worst outbreak, sees a small uptick and the Gov decides masks are needed to get back on the good track we were seeing a short while back, it becomes your job in a different situation 3,000 miles away to say he's wrong?

If one size doesn't fit all, shouldn't NJ do what's best for NJ?

Florida has tested 700,000 more people than NJ. NJ has 15,000+ deaths and FL has 3,000+ deaths. NJ has 1,700 deaths per million while FL has 179 deaths per million.

In the state of Florida if you are 54 and under and infected — is .0000194.

Sadly I believe those numbers are about to change.

I sit on the Board of a large health system in Maryland and this is how it was explained at our last Board meeting a few weeks back:

Positive Covid Test ----->(for those that require) Hospitalization is 1-2 weeks later-------> (for those that succumb to the virus) is 2-4 weeks after hospitalization

Those figures are additive. So the lag from positive test to those that succumb to the virus is (largely) 3-6 weeks. Arizona saw its spike in cases begin on or around 6/20 and may be starting to see deaths rise (AZ saw its largest number of deaths yesterday [117]). Florida saw its spike begin on or about 6/26. Texas saw it's spike(s) begin 6/24 and again on 6/30. California saw it's spike around 6/30.

Hopefully our treatments have gotten better and the reports are true of those being hospitalized trending younger (mortalities are lower amongst the younger age groups). But hospitalizations, not surprisingly, in those States began to surge last/this week (1-2 weeks after positive tests surged). I am sure we all hope and pray that the ensuing mortalities are lower than we saw in the NE, but make no mistake it is very likely that the next week to 3 weeks will see a spike in deaths in those States, sadly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT