ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My book comes out October 25th

SkilletHead2

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2005
New Zealand
Hi All,

I have a new book coming out October 25th. It's my first book for a general audience (I usually write academic stuff). It's called Scoundrels, Cads, and Other Great Artists, and it's about the bad boys in the history of art.

It's written for people who don't know much about art but might be interested in it. It lays out the lives of nine great artists who were pretty despicable individuals. There are 100 color reproductions of the works that they did, along with amusing retellings of their lives and times. I had a huge amount of fun writing it, and I think a number of you would like it.

Here is the amazon link:

Amazon product ASIN B08GJ8D15B
And below (I hope) is a page from the book to give you an idea about it. It's not a perfect reproduction (as I'm not brilliant at such stuff), but it'll give you a flavor of the book.

I'd love to be able to do signed copies, but living in NZ makes that a very long and expensive process. In lieu of that, the next best thing I could do is mail you a signed "ex libris" label, which is a thing people used to glue or stick into their books on the inside cover. I'm going to make a design on that and would be happy to get one mailed to you if you buy the book!

Thanks much for reading this.

Skillet

DrNTyn3jv7IBZlIvbbWNxP8OwkMVPyLAl-msCd8QWRqS2s0NOapFh-JDEg3DfReR5BqK9C9H1yoHNBe0yGo35u1c3ZF5zqlJefSVD6imgPwIyKTvPIGX1axCDnUVwwN2LnnDTs3CJMGvFvvxpyi4D9IGu0_v55zFYpf4y4FT-8b1D0pcuJ0gaXwJwS6NC3Rp25VbLlwt2FdR2RO8SNcQVo2CzteA3ppIOTNZLvnsr0N0CgSsBZSuEC_HCTialNjcMm6-DcjpLBFthnea17aje0r_CzpZloUMwZwjG5e8KILJSzXdOrmiQj3RsgDyYNppMxtZeOPLwdy50fLbzKs-eChVEdSLx5NrONHHyc_ZtWWkKaweGY_dsSnRCOx23BCaa-gNXzr6fosRUNT74x1GVOvNdnga7ATWQJHGmUbXqxzp33iBULLaseN6ID35XY2O6Mv1bdSMjNy0OLod_1T5co6CGM3WRjh7yX26XF6oisMZzPX3za9skqCZUUOTvcF57OeL2VB80Ovl2OT4s9ZG57r-zYhr-uzuf6Y7xU7pCs6cKZH2z5FnSPQgMghf1XHnDsZ1FY9K9D9ZuXLFSfi2DehrCoVghQtfzSM7lLAIab3q4L34Vch2Xz-ZhwVbK-pwHx8vjLBwSQa95TVET1TfgPgAdX47xaI3ZUP2kpQzz_NzJ7MQKmOEo7VYyu83Eec=w1204-h1674-no

Hi All,

I have a new book coming out October 25th. It's my first book for a general audience (I usually write academic stuff). It's called Scoundrels, Cads, and Other Great Artists, and it's about the bad boys in the history of art.

It's written for people who don't know much about art but might be interested in it. It lays out the lives of nine great artists who were pretty despicable individuals. There are 100 color reproductions of the works that they did, along with amusing retellings of their lives and times. I had a huge amount of fun writing it, and I think a number of you would like it.

Here is the amazon link:

And below (I hope) is a page from the book to give you an idea about it. It's not a perfect reproduction (as I'm not brilliant at such stuff), but it'll give you a flavor of the book.

I'd love to be able to do signed copies, but living in NZ makes that a very long and expensive process. In lieu of that, the next best thing I could do is mail you a signed "ex libris" label, which is a thing people used to glue or stick into their books on the inside cover. I'm going to make a design on that and would be happy to get one mailed to you if you buy the book!

Skillet

DrNTyn3jv7IBZlIvbbWNxP8OwkMVPyLAl-msCd8QWRqS2s0NOapFh-JDEg3DfReR5BqK9C9H1yoHNBe0yGo35u1c3ZF5zqlJefSVD6imgPwIyKTvPIGX1axCDnUVwwN2LnnDTs3CJMGvFvvxpyi4D9IGu0_v55zFYpf4y4FT-8b1D0pcuJ0gaXwJwS6NC3Rp25VbLlwt2FdR2RO8SNcQVo2CzteA3ppIOTNZLvnsr0N0CgSsBZSuEC_HCTialNjcMm6-DcjpLBFthnea17aje0r_CzpZloUMwZwjG5e8KILJSzXdOrmiQj3RsgDyYNppMxtZeOPLwdy50fLbzKs-eChVEdSLx5NrONHHyc_ZtWWkKaweGY_dsSnRCOx23BCaa-gNXzr6fosRUNT74x1GVOvNdnga7ATWQJHGmUbXqxzp33iBULLaseN6ID35XY2O6Mv1bdSMjNy0OLod_1T5co6CGM3WRjh7yX26XF6oisMZzPX3za9skqCZUUOTvcF57OeL2VB80Ovl2OT4s9ZG57r-zYhr-uzuf6Y7xU7pCs6cKZH2z5FnSPQgMghf1XHnDsZ1FY9K9D9ZuXLFSfi2DehrCoVghQtfzSM7lLAIab3q4L34Vch2Xz-ZhwVbK-pwHx8vjLBwSQa95TVET1TfgPgAdX47xaI3ZUP2kpQzz_NzJ7MQKmOEo7VYyu83Eec=w1204-h1674-no
Is there a Rutgers fan discount? JK
Congrats. Looks awesome. Wish you the best of luck with it.

Hi All,

Here is the amazon link:

Skillet

As for the subject:

tumblr_inline_nlrs58g0VA1rfncl9.gif

As for completing a book:

giphy.gif

Have to ask. How long did it take to write it. From research to handing it over to the publisher?
Signed the contract about this time in 2018. Handed in final draft about six months ago, but there was work to be done after that, and then COVID probably put about a four month delay in getting it out. Also, I had a full time job for most of this time (I was on sabbatical leave for some of it).

Good luck with the book. Are you on the South Island of NZ? And are you associated with a university there like Otago or Canterbury? We visited the South Island in February of this year, fortunately prior to the onset of the pandemic. It is such a beautiful place and we enjoyed it very much.

I had once toyed with the idea of applying for a Fulbright fellowship to NZ but in the end decided against it since the English-speaking countries have many more applicants per position than do countries in other regions where English is not the language of instruction.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Good luck with the book. Are you on the South Island of NZ? And are you associated with a university there like Otago or Canterbury? We visited the South Island in February of this year, fortunately prior to the onset of the pandemic. It is such a beautiful place and we enjoyed it very much.

I had once toyed with the idea of applying for a Fulbright fellowship to NZ but in the end decided against it since the English-speaking countries have many more applicants per position than do countries in other regions where English is not the language of instruction.
I'm Dean of the College of Education at the University of Otago. Been here for 15 years. Taught at Rutgers for 29 years before coming here. NZ is gorgeous and the people are super-friendly. Great place to live!

Awesome! As we discussed in our IM exchange awhile back, my wife and I both love art and going to museums to see art (she knows a lot more about art than I do, being a photographic artist, who has had numerous local shows, but I enjoy art too), so we're definitely going to order a copy.

Hi All,

Here is the amazon link:

Skillet

Book ordered.. waiting on the film now! The film treatment should be about a fictional and younger version of you researching this and getting into his own scandalous adventures... get going on that lazybones!

Congrats!

Book ordered.. waiting on the film now! The film treatment should be about a fictional and younger version of you researching this and getting into his own scandalous adventures... get going on that lazybones!

Congrats!
Thanks, Good Ol'. Would love to know what you think. I definitely think we need a Harrison Ford type to play the younger me!

My idea of fine art is a velvet Elvis, Dogs Playing Poker or picking up something roadside on McCarter Highway in Newark. As much as I love history I have never read a single art book in my life. This sounds like my first one.
Congrats Skillet!!!

My idea of fine art is a velvet Elvis, Dogs Playing Poker or picking up something roadside on McCarter Highway in Newark. As much as I love history I have never read a single art book in my life. This sounds like my first one.
Congrats Skillet!!!
Thanks, Colbert! I think you'd like it.

Congratulations on the publication.

I am going to add this to my Christmas wish list for the hardcover version. You know, for the pictures.

Caravaggio was the OG. Most of these modern bad boy rappers are just poser punks relative to that dude.

Hi All,

Here is the amazon link:

Skillet

Congrats man. Very impressive

Ordered! Looking forward to reading it. My wife is on the advisory board of the Zimmerli Art Museum at RU.

In lieu of that, the next best thing I could do is mail you a signed "ex libris" label, which is a thing people used to glue or stick into their books on the inside cover. I'm going to make a design on that and would be happy to get one mailed to you if you buy the book!

Congrats Skillet! Ordered the book for my wife and was hoping to get the signed label.

Great job Skillet. I'll have to pick it up. I clicked on the Amazon link and saw a host of books which may have been authored by you, including one on Buddy Holly and one on the Rosenbergs. Are those also yours?

Great job Skillet. I'll have to pick it up. I clicked on the Amazon link and saw a host of books which may have been authored by you, including one on Buddy Holly and one on the Rosenbergs. Are those also yours?
No, although I am a huge Buddy Holly fan! This is my 10th book, but unless you are a museologist or really interested in classroom assessment issues or how to us the SAS statistical program, you're not likely to be interested in them!😀😀

There is at least one other Jeffrey Smith who writes a lot (not to mention the Frugal Gourmet). As I don't really need technical stuff in my field much anymore, I've shifted over to writing what I want to write. I have two strong ideas for my next effort, and I'll poll the fan board on which one they think is best when I get to writing a proposal for it.

Congrats Skillet! Ordered the book for my wife and was hoping to get the signed label.
No problem! Here's what I'm thinking would be easiest. You send me an email to jeffreyksmith which is a gmail account, put Scoundrels in the subject line, and then give me your address and what you'd like me to say (PG rated), and to whom to dedicate, etc. I'll work it out and then send a bunch of these to my sister-in-law in the states and she will mail them out. That way we can save a ton on mailing.

Best,

Skillet

No problem! Here's what I'm thinking would be easiest. You send me an email to jeffreyksmith which is a gmail account, put Scoundrels in the subject line, and then give me your address and what you'd like me to say (PG rated), and to whom to dedicate, etc. I'll work it out and then send a bunch of these to my sister-in-law in the states and she will mail them out. That way we can save a ton on mailing.

Best,

Skillet

Best,

Skillet
This is so "you", love it. LOL

We've just received and I've begun to read Scoundrels, Cads, and Other Great Artists by Skillehead2. Superb book!

ADVERTISEMENT