ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My Son Is Accepted To Rutgers!!!

My son received his acceptance to Rutgers today!

Very excited!

Nothing else - just wanted to share my joy with the crowd here!
200.gif

True story- he attended Schiano’s camp many years ago - he was just a little thing

Schiano took pictures with all of the campers and inscribed his picture “commit 2022”

Unfortunately, no football for him, he will just bring brains
You didn’t teach him to long snap?

Reactions: Bleed_Scarlet
Don’t know yet, but I’m excited about the first step. The kid was raised on Rutgers.

The honors college is what he really wants, but I don’t think he finds out about that yet.
Hope he makes the right choice and picks Rutgers. No place like home.

Everyone has to make the right choice for them but I've always been consistent in hating when people from NJ treat Rutgers as a backup option.

Reactions: eddynyse and ru66
Hope he makes the right choice and picks Rutgers. No place like home.

Everyone has to make the right choice for them but I've always been consistent in hating when people from NJ treat Rutgers as a backup option.
He is 18.. who knows what exactly is on his mind

If he gets Honors (which he should) and there is aid, it’s going to be very hard to go elsewhere. It’s also insane this year with college admissions- worse than usual.

Rutgers was my first and only application, so he is coming from a different perspective. A lot of his friends definitely don’t appreciate the school, which is infuriating to me.

I totally get that going away is part of the college experience. However, the quality of education and cost should have equal weighting to the decision.

Reactions: newell138

If he gets Honors (which he should) and there is aid, it’s going to be very hard to go elsewhere. It’s also insane this year with college admissions- worse than usual.

Rutgers was my first and only application, so he is coming from a different perspective. A lot of his friends definitely don’t appreciate the school, which is infuriating to me.
Love your second paragraph. Bothers me too. I applied to 4 total and Rutgers was the only one that truly felt like home. Best decision I ever made. I didn't have the best grades at RU and I'm certain a smaller school would've been a better academic fit, but I wouldn't trade my experience at RU for anything. The connections/alumni network are second to none. Also being able to attend my dream university was special to me. I'd feel wrong rooting for any other university. The value of a Rutgers degree continues to soar.

Reactions: Bleed_Scarlet

People look down on state schools but depending on what he wants to do, Rutgers has a huge network of opportunity. It’s what you make of the opportunity and offerings.

I know plenty of people who went to fancy private schools and now are basically glorified used car salesman. Then again I know some people who went to lower ranked places that ended up in high paying roles.

Our oldest chose Rutger Honors College. It was the best choice, and turned out to be awesome when the pandemic hit. Being close to home was fantastic. Loved the Honors College. Majored in Computer Science/minored in Math. Interned at a fantastic company in Wisconsin, which led to a full time job. Had lots of other opportunities but really liked the summer internship. Was scheduled to finish in May, but completed degree requirements last semester and is driving around the US having some fun before work starts.

Best part for us was total out of pocket for 3.5 years may be less than $25K. Can't beat that.
I totally get that going away is part of the college experience. However, the quality of education and cost should have equal weighting to the decision.
It should, but for some, an extremely large State U is not a good fit, particularly when the intro classes are 200 plus students. You can get lost in the shuffle.
Love your second paragraph. Bothers me too. I applied to 4 total and Rutgers was the only one that truly felt like home. Best decision I ever made. I didn't have the best grades at RU and I'm certain a smaller school would've been a better academic fit, but I wouldn't trade my experience at RU for anything. The connections/alumni network are second to none. Also being able to attend my dream university was special to me. I'd feel wrong rooting for any other university. The value of a Rutgers degree continues to soar.
I was basically forced to go to Rutgers due to financial circumstances. At the time, I would have preferred Lehigh, but in the end I'm glad I went to Rutgers.
Our youngest was admitted to RU Honors College with a similar scholarship our oldest had. But there was no interest in the college to which he was admitted. RU did not have the program he wanted to purse, which is a physician assistant program where there is guaranteed entry into the master's phase of the program if you have maintained a minimum GPA. Quinnipiac University met that requirement.

With Rutgers, you had to apply again, and their program says: "We are committed to to diversity through holistic admissions process and have intensified recruitment efforts to enroll more underrepresented groups." Not being one of those groups, we said forget about it. Youngest absolutely loves Quinnipiac, and we love it too. He loves the small class sizes, and he has been provided opportunities as a freshman and sophomore he definitely would not have had in the largess of Rutgers.

Rutgers and State U's are not for everyone. Sometimes it is money well spent when a child chooses to go elsewhere with good reasons. We have zero regrets, and we are happy that he is happy and crushing it there.

Our oldest chose Rutger Honors College. It was the best choice, and turned out to be awesome when the pandemic hit. Being close to home was fantastic. Loved the Honors College. Majored in Computer Science/minored in Math. Interned at a fantastic company in Wisconsin, which led to a full time job. Had lots of other opportunities but really liked the summer internship. Was scheduled to finish in May, but completed degree requirements last semester and is driving around the US having some fun before work starts.

Best part for us was total out of pocket for 3.5 years may be less than $25K. Can't beat that.

It should, but for some, an extremely large State U is not a good fit, particularly when the intro classes are 200 plus students. You can get lost in the shuffle.

I was basically forced to go to Rutgers due to financial circumstances. At the time, I would have preferred Lehigh, but in the end I'm glad I went to Rutgers.
Our youngest was admitted to RU Honors College with a similar scholarship our oldest had. But there was no interest in the college to which he was admitted. RU did not have the program he wanted to purse, which is a physician assistant program where there is guaranteed entry into the master's phase of the program if you have maintained a minimum GPA. Quinnipiac University met that requirement.

With Rutgers, you had to apply again, and their program says: "We are committed to to diversity through holistic admissions process and have intensified recruitment efforts to enroll more underrepresented groups." Not being one of those groups, we said forget about it. Youngest absolutely loves Quinnipiac, and we love it too. He loves the small class sizes, and he has been provided opportunities as a freshman and sophomore he definitely would not have had in the largess of Rutgers.

Rutgers and State U's are not for everyone. Sometimes it is money well spent when a child chooses to go elsewhere with good reasons. We have zero regrets, and we are happy that he is happy and crushing it there.
Agree it’s not one size fits all. I was an out of state student and going away was a big thing for me. I did factor in cost by picking a reasonable out of state tuition.

Congrats! If he misses on the honors college he can still get into the honors program if he does well at RU. Keep after them.

I wear my RU gear proudly around a group of HS kids that I work with and yes it's annoying that not everyone appreciates RU, but many do.

I think RU should have a state and county school pride day to celebrate all of the great public schools and academic programs in NJ.

She’s constantly singing this song..
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! My ears! AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE! 🤮🤮🤮

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT