ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My Son Is Accepted To Rutgers!!!

Without aid Barnard is like almost 90000 a year. Villanova almost 85000.lnsane unless you like burning $ and can afford to do so.
Pretty much every private school costs that. Out of state Tuition for state schools is over 50. It’s a joke.

Without aid Barnard is like almost 90000 a year. Villanova almost 85000.lnsane unless you like burning $ and can afford to do so.

Pretty much every private school costs that. Out of state Tuition for state schools is over 50. It’s a joke.
Nobody pays sticker.

Unless you weren’t getting in to begin with.

Remember the skit on the original SNL…”Dad made a few phone calls.” LOL

And the privates try to measure their aid to make it almost what it would cost for your in-state flagship. Unless you have the “wrong” ($$$$) zip code. ☹️

Nobody pays sticker.

And the privates try to measure their aid to make it almost what it would cost for your in-state flagship. Unless you have the “wrong” ($$$$) zip code. ☹️
Not so sure about that for my daughter she had 4 of the top schools in country recruiting her For soccer. I was paying 100% at all 4. I have a friend whose daughter is going to UVA. She got like 15k so she’s still playing over 65. Same goes for Michigan UCLA etc. yes, Fordham will throw everyone 25 or 30 k but it’s still 50.

Reactions: jtung230
Not so sure about that for my daughter she had 4 of the top schools in country recruiting her For soccer. I was paying 100% at all 4. I have a friend whose daughter is going to UVA. She got like 15k so she’s still playing over 65. Same goes for Michigan UCLA etc. yes, Fordham will throw everyone 25 or 30 k but it’s still 50.

This. Scholarships are very rare now for non-athletes especially at the large state schools. Most aid is based exclusively on the FAFSA. You have a better chance at privates who might be willing to work with you a little, but even that isn’t enough to move the needle.

Nobody pays sticker.

That MIG data is incorrect. A lot of private schools are need base only.

This. Scholarships are very rare now for non-athletes especially at the large state schools. Most aid is based exclusively on the FAFSA. You have a better chance at privates who might be willing to work with you a little, but even that isn’t enough to move the needle.
Generally yes, but there are some exceptions. There’s a consortium of public Western universities and colleges (160 or so participate) where they guarantee students that qualify 150% or less of what their in state tuition would be for an in state school. It’s based on GPA and not need. Students can also get need based aid too. Many of the Cal State schools participate as well as Univ of Utah, Oregon State, etc. Our daughter was offered about $10k per year from Oregon State as part of this program. Univ of Oregon doesn’t participate but has a stand-alone similar program and she was offered about the same. She was also offered smaller amounts of merit based aid from other public and private schools. Gonzaga offered the most (about $23k) but it was still on par with the state schools cost wise. In the end she chose UC Davis.

That MIG data is incorrect. A lot of private schools are need base only.
Both boys got relatively the same merit based aid at the private they both went to. A nice amount for both.

While they were there at the same time the younger guy got a need based package as well.

Once the older one graduated with his masters from the same school that need based one went away for the younger one.

Newer FAFSA numbers said, “Mr. e5fdny, you’re good now for paying X amount more on your own.”

I covered this as you obviously live in the “wrong” zip code. 😛

Meaning one many would probably like live in too.

Quinnipiac, for example, wouldn’t even tell us how much the sticker was 7yrs ago even after offering the 20K need/merit aid right off the bat. They had no info on our kid when this number was thrown out.

My Wife kept asking, “$20K off of what? Give us the number.”

Last edited:
Both boys got relatively the same merit based aid at the private they both went to. A nice amount for both.

While they were there at the same time the younger guy got a need based package as well.

Once the older one graduated with his masters from the same school that need based one went away for the younger one.

Newer FAFSA numbers said, “Mr. e5fdny, you’re good now for paying X amount more on your own.”
I guess I should’ve qualified the type of private schools. I think all the ivy schools are need based only.

I guess I should’ve qualified the type of private schools. I think all the ivy schools are need based only.
And with their endowment they can be very liberal with their definition (and numbers) as it relates to need based aid.

And with their endowment they can be very liberal with their definition (and numbers) as it relates to need based aid.
Well a MD I know tells me her daughter will be going to Barnard and she figures she'll be spending nearly 90000/ yr. Her kid goes to one of the best school districts and is a great student and is of Indian descent.

Well a MD I know tells me her daughter will be going to Barnard and she figures she'll be spending nearly 90000/ yr. Her kid goes to one of the best school districts and is a great student and is of Indian descent.
it doesn’t sound like she falls in the need based category

Hence, the “wrong” zip code theory.🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT