ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My Son Is Accepted To Rutgers!!!

Again. You are years removed from this process. Things are different now post covid and kids are choosing “lesser” schools left and right for a myriad of reasons. Plus schools that in the past you have talked crap about are harder to get into than schools you perceive to be better. My daughter has five friends alone that applied to Clemson and Rutgers. All 5 got it to Rutgers. 2 got into Clemson.

Yeah...what I'm not removed from is hiring people and no one is impressed by the schools these kids (or more likely their parents) are impressed by. Other than a scholarship or a very specific program, COVID or "experiencing" the south or midwest is pretty hilarious as a rationale.

No doubt it's harder to get into an OOS school...however it's not my perception, pretty much anyone who didn't go to Clemson or Moravian or whatnot is going to "perceive" Rutgers to be better.

It looks like it's still harder to get into TCNJ but not by as much.
I think Rowan is closing the gap. If they truly achieve their goal of getting their athletics teams to D1 level, I think they jump TCNJ overall. In the early 2000s, Rowan would've literally been the safety school of last resort for South Jersey kids or a school to go to if you planned on being a teacher. Now it's actually a pretty nice campus and surrounding town, and their academics are improving.

Agree with you here. Even pre-covid, kids were choosing "lesser" schools, whatever lesser means. My kid was one of them. He happily chose Quinnipiac over Rutgers, even with admission to the Honors College and a scholarship. Quinnipiac had a better and more comprehensive program for him, and he liked the smaller, more intimate campus and class size. He chose wisely.

There's a big difference between choosing a school for a specific program and choosing to go to a school because it has great parties at a fraternity/sorority you and all your friends from HS will join together.

Also, I think at least in the tri state area most people have heard of Quinnipiac.

That said I do think it's a small minority of people who know what they want to do as seniors in HS. I know multiple people in their 30s who don't know what they want to do lol.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I think Rowan is closing the gap. If they truly achieve their goal of getting their athletics teams to D1 level, I think they jump TCNJ overall. In the early 2000s, Rowan would've literally been the safety school of last resort for South Jersey kids or a school to go to if you planned on being a teacher. Now it's actually a pretty nice campus and surrounding town, and their academics are improving.

When I was in HS Rowan was the school for middle class kids that didn't get into RU...and mom and dad weren't going to pay for James Madison or what have you lol.

But NJ can definitely use more public school spots. We're the 11th biggest state population wise, and most of the 39 smaller ones have more than we do per HS student.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Yeah...what I'm not removed from is hiring people and no one is impressed by the schools these kids (or more likely their parents) are impressed by. Other than a scholarship or a very specific program, COVID or "experiencing" the south or midwest is pretty hilarious as a rationale.

No doubt it's harder to get into an OOS school...however it's not my perception, pretty much anyone who didn't go to Clemson or Moravian or whatnot is going to "perceive" Rutgers to be better.
Yes a bunch of people capable of paying 80k for their kids to got to “crappy schools”for the weather, have never hired anyone or understand job placement. You’ve been hiring people for what? 2 years maybe?
And “experiencing” the south meant no masks or never ending boosters for a virus that they probably wont even know they have. Last year my daughter visited Dartmouth and the cafeteria was still closed. You brought boxed lunches back to your room. All the restaurants near brown were still closed for in room dining as well. That’s living for an 18 year old. Guess everyone you work with went to Rutgers or UVA

Reactions: bac2therac
All-time best. A classmate answered a short answer question:

"What's you strongest personal characteristic?"

Answer:

"My thighs"

Can you imagine an admissions officer who's reading hundreds of these? You're in or you're toast. Obviously got in.
Elle Woods?

When I graduated HS in 1980 in Gloucester County (Wash Twp HS), we used to call Glassboro State (now Rowan) 13th grade, lol. It's obviously gotten better, but it's still not a great school. I also highly doubt the powers that be will want to bankroll another Div 1 sports program in NJ and I doubt they can do it without state money.

When I graduated HS in 1980 in Gloucester County (Wash Twp HS), we used to call Glassboro State (now Rowan) 13th grade, lol. It's obviously gotten better, but it's still not a great school. I also highly doubt the powers that be will want to bankroll another Div 1 sports program in NJ and I doubt they can do it without state money.
Not sure it’s still happening but EDP soccer was supposed to build like 15 soccer fields on their campus

My kid that’s joining the military, my youngest, is a smart, but not academically oriented kid. Hated school, although he likes learning. Kids take different paths. He likes helping people, likes challenges, and is a thrill seeker.

What’s your kid love to do?
Interests=Hanging with her friends, drinking White Claws and endless hours on TikTok. I’m just joking.
She enjoys working w/ kids(works at a Montessori preschool), cooking, photography and every crime show/documentary on serial killers there is.
For college she has chosen a Criminology major.
We can circle back to this thread in a few years and see if that changes.

Interests=Hanging with her friends, drinking White Claws and endless hours on TikTok. I’m just joking.
She enjoys working w/ kids(works at a Montessori preschool), cooking, photography and every crime show/documentary on serial killers there is.
For college she has chosen a Criminology major.
We can circle back to this thread in a few years and see if that changes.
Sounds to me like she's off to a good start. There's a bunch of jobs for folks with those interests. Chef is an obvious one if she likes cooking. But also stuff ranging from crime-scene photographer to FBI special agent.

And if she changes her mind, that's fine. There's no rush, IMO. My daughter didn't figure out what she really wanted to do until several years after undergrad. And what she's wound up doing has nothing at all to do with her undergrad major/minor. But she really likes it a lot, so it was worth some delay to figure that out.

Reactions: Jm0513
Reactions: vkj91
Apparently that proposal stalled during COVID and an alternate site is now planned further away from Rowan's campus.

How much of the $480 million would the taxpayers be on the hook for? And do they really need 60 fields? This sounds like South Jersey wants to have their own boondoggel like North Jersey got with Xanado.

You've obviously never been in a tank with an 18 year driver fresh out boot camp who knows he can drive through buildings.....
:)

I was thinking of your Abrams exploits a couple days ago watching a Ytube about tanks in Europe situation.

A bunch of US and Euro tank guys were commenting (Rolando and Yulia G + Cliff Booth om YT page) about their experiences (mostly about being needing to be an "engineer" when stuck in the mud and lubbing the beast), Certainly eye-opening

Yes a bunch of people capable of paying 80k for their kids to got to “crappy schools”for the weather, have never hired anyone or understand job placement. You’ve been hiring people for what? 2 years maybe?
And “experiencing” the south meant no masks or never ending boosters for a virus that they probably wont even know they have. Last year my daughter visited Dartmouth and the cafeteria was still closed. You brought boxed lunches back to your room. All the restaurants near brown were still closed for in room dining as well. That’s living for an 18 year old. Guess everyone you work with went to Rutgers or UVA
So happy my oldest whiffed on Ivies and MIT. Miserable places run by miserable people. My kid is going to do great in life, and we saved boatloads of money on tuition, fees, and room and board.

Edit: Some of this opinion is formed by discussions with parents of kids who went to ivies. Not the kind of environment or people we want our kids to be around. Connections, prestige, whatever.

Last edited:
How much of the $480 million would the taxpayers be on the hook for? And do they really need 60 fields? This sounds like South Jersey wants to have their own boondoggel like North Jersey got with Xanado.
Edp runs their tournaments right now out of tuckahoe turf fields. You obviously don’t know much about youth sports, especially club sports. Yes, you need that many fields. The top EDP teams which is at best the third highest level of youth soccer will host tournaments with hundreds of teams from all over the country multiple times a year in NJ.
If I owned land, I’d be building baseball fields. There rental is at a premium right now

Last edited:
So happy my oldest whiffed on Ivies and MIT. Miserable places run by miserable people. My kid is going to do great in life, and we saved boatloads of money on tuition, fees, and room and board.

Edit: Some of this opinion is formed by discussions with parents of kids who went to ivies. Not the kind of environment or people we want our kids to be around. Connections, prestige, whatever.

Doesn't sound like you spoke to parents whose kids went to MIT. Knew a bunch that did, and a bunch that got their MBA at Sloan. Anything but a miserable place run by miserable people. Know a lot of Ivies as well. Opinions are mixed but nowhere near as negative as this post.

Yes, they should all experience RU Screw instead 😀. The key lesson is that the school has to be a good fit for your kid. It’s not about bragging rights with your friends or colleagues.

Doesn't sound like you spoke to parents whose kids went to MIT. Knew a bunch that did, and a bunch that got their MBA at Sloan. Anything but a miserable place run by miserable people. Know a lot of Ivies as well. Opinions are mixed but nowhere near as negative as this post.
Yup, did. Opinions vary.
Key question- is it worth frittering away another $280K to go to an "elite" school? Particularly during the pandemic, many of the elite schools were using remote instruction, had kids locked in their dorms, had reporting systems to report fellow students who were out of their dorms, etc., what are the additional actual and tangential benefits again of these elite institutions of higher learning? Interaction with bright professors and fellow students? Nope. A credential that opens doors? Pass. My oldest has plenty of open doors with a Rutgers degree and is $280,000 ahead in life.

Last edited:

Their Master Plan does include a 25K seat stadium.

Maybe not 1A but certainly FCS.

Their Master Plan does include a 25K seat stadium.

Maybe not 1A but certainly FCS.
Yeah I think they want to go FCS for football and D1 for basketball as they're talking about building a 5K seat hoops arena. They can probably host concerts and HS graduations for some South Jersey high schools in the area if they do that.

People can have bad experiences anywhere, there are always going to be bad fits. And sure, people's mileage will vary.

But for sure, MIT is a fantastic school that provides a great student environment and experience. And it turns out a lot of happy and successful graduates.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
I don’t think any sane Person would argue that an Ivy League degree can always open doors. Or that peoples ears don’t perk up a bit when you say you went to Harvard or Yale. BUT, a lot has changed post covid. If covid never happened, I’d have really pushed by daughter to go to schools that recruited her like Columbia, Cornell, Brown or even Case Western Reserve. But since covid did happen and we got to see first hand how miserable their college experience was, no thanks.

Almost heaven.. I think not!

Unfortunately I’m a Mountain Momma. My one hit wonder moves in next Friday. We travel those country roads in 4 days.
It’s surreal. I want to die and celebrate all at the same time. Lol
Thinking of everyone with freshman. Stay strong!

Unfortunately I’m a Mountain Momma. My one hit wonder moves in next Friday. We travel those country roads in 4 days.
Good luck! I'm sure she'll do great! Always tougher on the parents, lol - was a bit tough on my wife (only child), but after some struggles, like most kids go through (he started at the very expensive New School, didn't love it and then transferred to RU after 2 years and loved it and got his BS and MS there), he found his way and has a great job and girlfriend and only lives a mile away.

Dropped my daughter off last week as soccer started. So far so good. Get to fly out to watch her first collegiate game next week

So you’re gonna be home alone, an empty nester, looking to celebrate…

Season 4 Flirting GIF by Friends

Let me know if you need a hug. 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
You just saved like a billion dollars.
Lol. Had a nice talk with her about compounding interest. I told her I can pay 350 for Brown or you can take your 60ish % scholarship and I can put the difference in a fund. Use this calculator and tell me how much you’ll have in 10 or 20 years at 7%.
And if she keeps a minimum GPA she has guaranteed acceptance into masters programs at wake and Vanderbilt. Easiest decision she ever made. Oh, and no masks or covid vaccines mandates.

Lol. Had a nice talk with her about compounding interest. I told her I can pay 350 for Brown or you can take your 60ish % scholarship and I can put the difference in a fund. Use this calculator and tell me how much you’ll have in 10 or 20 years at 7%.
And if she keeps a minimum GPA she has guaranteed acceptance into masters programs at wake and Vanderbilt. Easiest decision she ever made. Oh, and no masks or covid vaccines mandates.
I would’ve explained how she just bought you a new Porsche.

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513 and vkj91
I would’ve explained how she just bought you a new Porsche.
Selling the kid would be quicker. Alas, having the money to get the Porsche is only half the battle these days. Then you need to convince a dealer to sell it to you versus one of the other guys that wants it and also has the money. Kinda sucks at the moment. Unless you’re a Porsche dealer, I suppose.

Last edited:
I wish my son and daughter chose Rutgers. It cost me 250,000 for both of them and that was 20 years ago.
Without aid Barnard is like almost 90000 a year. Villanova almost 85000.lnsane unless you like burning $ and can afford to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT