ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My West Coast MLB trip

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
About to see the Dodgers play the Marlins to complete my three stadium trip this week that included Petco stadium, Angels Stadium and now Dodger Stadium. Very enjoyable and great weather here in CA. My son did some research to find this week where we were able to see these games.

It’s been a blast. These were all great stadiums. Really close call on the ranking but I think San Diego was #1? Close between all of them really. Angels probably edge the Dodgers but not by much. The backdrop to dodger stadium with the palm trees is stunning. It’s a great trip to take if you get the opportunity.

I lived in Sandi when Petco was built. Downtown. Right near everything. The park in the park. Still love their motto. "Petco. Where the pets go"

Reactions: Scangg
About to see the Dodgers play the Marlins to complete my three stadium trip this week that included Petco stadium, Angels Stadium and now Dodger Stadium. Very enjoyable and great weather here in CA. My son did some research to find this week where we were able to see these games.
Lucky you! Would love to go to Dodger Stadium. I've been a Dodger fan since they were in Brooklyn.

Lucky you! Would love to go to Dodger Stadium. I've been a Dodger fan since they were in Brooklyn.
Dodger stadium was a treat. The background with the palm trees was like a painting; especially at sunset. The grass and infield were perfect as they are so meticulous. I would say they will probably update the stadium seats a bit but they truly don’t have do anything? I think dodger was the 14th stadium I’ve seen so still a ways to go? In speaking to a few guys who have seen them all, I hear Pittsburgh and Milwaukee are two awesome ballparks. I’m also looking forward to Wrigley and Cleveland.

Camden Yards is still up at the top but San Diego might be slightly nicer?

I'm somewhere in the 20s. Pittsburgh is definitely a great park. Wrigley is great, but I did like Fenway slightly more.

Pittsburgh ballpark might be one of the Top 4 venues to see a game in terms of price and sight lines from all seats.

Milwaukee IMO has the best food.

Everyone should see a game at Fenway and Wrigley if you like baseball. They are just iconic ballparks.

Haven't been to the new Atlanta stadium but I'm told it's first rate.

Reactions: RUBand
When I did the SoCal trip, it was still the old park in SD. I missed Tony Gwynn's 3000th hit by about a week. Damn, with a new park, looks like I have to go back to SD. What a chore!

Pittsburgh ballpark might be one of the Top 4 venues to see a game in terms of price and sight lines from all seats.

Everyone should see a game at Fenway and Wrigley if you like baseball. They are just iconic ballparks.

I was at Fenway in my high school days which was over 30 years ago. I turn 49 this year. It’s really hard for a Yankee fan to like anything about the Red Sox but it was a nice stadium. I forgot about Atlanta’s park so also looking forward to that trip. And Miami has supposedly the nicest grass of any stadium but that has to be an April trip with this heat. Seattle was nice and so was San Francisco. But I thought San Diego, Angels and Dodgers were all a bit nicer.

Rutgers played bowl games in Arizona and Tampa so I was at both venues but not for baseball? Debating as to whether they count towards my list of parks on the bucket list. And one other my son and I are debating is whether or not we need to see tiger stadium? When we played North Carolina in the bowl game, tiger stadium was right next door so we saw inside the park. I have no desire to return to Detroit ever, unless it’s for another Rutgers bowl game? I might consider seeing inside the gates enough to cross it off my list. Just not a good area.

I was at Fenway in my high school days which was over 30 years ago. I turn 49 this year. It’s really hard for a Yankee fan to like anything about the Red Sox but it was a nice stadium. I forgot about Atlanta’s park so also looking forward to that trip. And Miami has supposedly the nicest grass of any stadium but that has to be an April trip with this heat. Seattle was nice and so was San Francisco. But I thought San Diego, Angels and Dodgers were all a bit nicer.

Rutgers played bowl games in Arizona and Tampa so I was at both venues but not for baseball? Debating as to whether they count towards my list of parks on the bucket list. And one other my son and I are debating is whether or not we need to see tiger stadium? When we played North Carolina in the bowl game, tiger stadium was right next door so we saw inside the park. I have no desire to return to Detroit ever, unless it’s for another Rutgers bowl game? I might consider seeing inside the gates enough to cross it off my list. Just not a good area.
I have a stadium map in my basement. I marked Arizona with a different color for the same reason, and I have yet another color for Arlington because I took a stadium tour but never saw a game. I hope to someday get back to both for an actual game.

I have a stadium map in my basement. I marked Arizona with a different color for the same reason, and I have yet another color for Arlington because I took a stadium tour but never saw a game. I hope to someday get back to both for an actual game.
Lol.

FYI- Texas Rangers are moving into a new stadium in 2020. They currently play in Globe Life Park. They are moving across the street to Globe Life Field.

On another note regarding Dodger Stadium - I believe they will be making some major adjustments (wider concourses), etc. during the off season to accommodate the 2020 All Star game.

Last edited:
Mike We watched Gwynn's 3000th at Petco on a big screen. He was on the road.. Montreal I believe .I had the pleasure of meeting TG on numerous occasions when he was the San Diego State coach. A nicer man and s better hitter never lived. And an all time great cackling laugh .He was taken from us way too young.

Moved to San Diego 2 years ago and I've been to a bunch of games at Petco. Awesome place to catch a game

I attended a game at Petco a couple years ago. The number of food choices was astounding.

I've been to 32 different MLB stadiums. It's doubtful I'll ever get to them all because new ones are built at such a rapid pace.

To give you an idea, I've witnessed games in two different stadiums for these teams: Mets, Phillies, Orioles, Indians, White Sox, Padres, Nationals, Yankees (3).

I've attended games in these cities, but they have new stadiums now: Twins, Tigers, Braves, Marlins.

I have never seen a game in these cities: Toronto, Kansas City, Texas, Houston, St. Louis, Cincy, Arizona.

I took tours of the Houston and St. Louis (old Busch Stadium) ballparks in the offseason, and was in the Diamondbacks stadium for the Insight Bowl. I don't count these, though, because I did not witness a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: rutger80
My brother in law has been to almost every ballpark(not sure about the new Braves field) and his favorite is the Padres ballpark. Has Oakland started construction? Last I heard it was between the current Oakland Sports Complex and some industrial area that needed an environmental cleanup and would not have near the parking they do now. This will now be Oakland’s Last pro sports team, unless the ABA makes a return and the Oaks are reborn or white hockey skates make a comeback and we see the Golden Seals back on the ice.

Georgia State got a heck of a deal for their football program from the Braves.A 20 year old stadium for about 30 million dollars. Current Texas Rangers Park will become home to the new Arlington XFL football team.

My brother in law has been to almost every ballpark(not sure about the new Braves field) and his favorite is the Padres ballpark. Has Oakland started construction? Last I heard it was between the current Oakland Sports Complex and some industrial area that needed an environmental cleanup and would not have near the parking they do now. This will now be Oakland’s Last pro sports team, unless the ABA makes a return and the Oaks are reborn or white hockey skates make a comeback and we see the Golden Seals back on the ice.
I didn’t realize Oakland was building a new stadium so I’ll wait now. I was at the current job park a long time ago but told my son i would go back see he wasn’t with me. I think even though I saw rutgers bowls in Arizona and Tampa, I will return for baseball games. Tropicana is really a terrible park though.

I agree with seeing a game at Fenway. No stadium beats the original Yankee Stadium, which I really miss.

Including defunct stadiums, I've been to 26, having just gone to see the Giants at what's now Oracle (formerly AT&T) Park. Hard to choose between Pittsburgh (PNC) & San Diego(Petco) for #1. SF is a close #3.
Work schedule got changed so not going to #27 in Sept. Was going to be Houston.
A's can't get a new stadium soon enough.

Including defunct stadiums, I've been to 26, having just gone to see the Giants at what's now Oracle (formerly AT&T) Park. Hard to choose between Pittsburgh (PNC) & San Diego(Petco) for #1. SF is a close #3.
Work schedule got changed so not going to #27 in Sept. Was going to be Houston.
A's can't get a new stadium soon enough.
Tampa Bay has, without question, the worst stadium. Oakland, without question, has the second-worst stadium. The third-worst? That's where it gets interesting. Honestly, I wouldn't know which to choose.

Tampa Bay has, without question, the worst stadium. Oakland, without question, has the second-worst stadium. The third-worst? That's where it gets interesting. Honestly, I wouldn't know which to choose.

This is probably going to sound blasphemous, but Wrigley Field is an uncomfortable place to watch a game. The seats and concourses are narrow, there's no railings, with big steps in the upper levels. Watched multiple people almost fall going up and down the steps.

This is probably going to sound blasphemous, but Wrigley Field is an uncomfortable place to watch a game. The seats and concourses are narrow, there's no railings, with big steps in the upper levels. Watched multiple people almost fall going up and down the steps.
Agree. Fenway is the same way. Simply, both stadiums rank high with everyone due to their place in baseball history.

Reactions: rutger80
Would like to see one game at both someday, but have heard you need to get there in February to find a parking space. lol

I'm heading to the San Diego area in 2 weeks and have tickets for a SD vs Rockies game. What is a good place for a family dinner near the stadium?

Any other recommendations?

I'm heading to the San Diego area in 2 weeks and have tickets for a SD vs Rockies game. What is a good place for a family dinner near the stadium?

Any other recommendations?[/QUO

There’s a lot of restaurants around the area of the stadium. I stayed at the Omni hotel which is attached to Petco. A few pricey dinners and breakfast at a placed called The Broken Yolk we ate for a few days. I think they also serve lunch and dinner. Lots a good food in the stadium. I also drove down to La Jolla and had a good meal in the town.

Hooch If Mexican is a favorite go to Old Town. You will not be sorry. Stay away from Little Italy . The sauce/ gravy is so sweet your teeth will fall out. The culinary culture out there has improved a ton since I lived there .

Reactions: hoochie302
FYI- Texas Rangers are moving into a new stadium in 2020. They currently play in Globe Life Park. They are moving across the street to Globe Life Field.

On another note regarding Dodger Stadium - I believe they will be making some major adjustments (wider concourses), etc. during the off season to accommodate the 2020 All Star game.

Why Couldn't they do that to Giants Stadium? SMH

Hooch If Mexican is a favorite go to Old Town. You will not be sorry. Stay away from Little Italy . The sauce/ gravy is so sweet your teeth will fall out. The culinary culture out there has improved a ton since I lived there .

Love me some Mexican!

Off topic....not to make this the football board.....The Padres are going to be VERY good real soon, if not NOW.

I've been to Petco, Fenway, Wrigley, Kaufmann, Citifield and Citizens Bank all in the last 2 years (Yankee Stadium many times, including Rutgers Day last week). Petco was awesome. The park outside and the Ballast Point beer garden were highlights. I enjoyed CitiField quite a bit, but it was a pain to get to and get out of. Fenway and Wrigley are still cramped and uncomfortable, but you definitely feel the history. Visited both many years ago and not much has changed outside of some premium seating added. Kaufmann and Citizens Bank were a little disappointing. Nice stadiums, but boring.

LaJolla is nowhere near the stadium. And Old Town isn’t much closer. The stadium is a short walk from the Gaslamp district which is loaded with restaurants.

Right - this answer was to the “any other recommendations?” Portion of the posting. LaJolla is probably a half hour from Petco Park.

ADVERTISEMENT