ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NASA Perseverance Rover Landing

Watching NASA channel sure is better than watching these greedy Wall Street basturds and politicians evading real issues.

Does anyone know when they are due start the landing...or burn up?

Reactions: cshelley
Watching NASA channel sure is better than watching these greedy Wall Street basturds and politicians evading real issues.

Does anyone know when they are due start the landing...or burn up?
Countdown has it at about 3:55 p.m. ET.

The livestream leaves something to be desired.

Reactions: OldManRiver
It would have been a great troll to quickly photoshop Matt Damon into the background of that first picture they just showed.

This would have been better

8174.gif

Very cool. Almost missed it clearing snow.. they nailed the time pretty well.

This would have been better

8174.gif

Wait for it. Bernie Sanders coming soon on Mars.

Not trying to throw water on the fire but I have a question for those who are into NASA and the like. Space exploration is cool and wild stuff. Is there a goal when dumping billions (?) of dollars into a Mars landing and trying to figure out if water once existed on the planet? What will we gain other than a neat exploration?

Reactions: newell138

Not trying to throw water on the fire but I have a question for those who are into NASA and the like. Space exploration is cool and wild stuff. Is there a goal when dumping billions (?) of dollars into a Mars landing and trying to figure out if water once existed on the planet? What will we gain other than a neat exploration?
Well, it did give us Tang afterall.

Laying groundwork for creating human settlements some time in the next few decades.

We can land a rover safely on Mars but were not able to distribute vaccines to the most at risk effectively.
Go figure
Well nasa is full of amazing scientists and engineers with logical minds and a penchant for clear and organized thinking. The 50 different vaccine processes across the US are managed by politicians and bureaucrats...so there’s your answer!!

Ta da!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it did give us Tang afterall.

Good one! According to some conspiracy theories, we can thank an elaborate setup in the desert for that too.

Laying groundwork for creating human settlements some time in the next few decades.

On Mars where it is -80 degrees? I like the concept but it will never happen. Not a drop of water there either. Imagine how long the public water and sewer lines from Earth would have to be.

I still think that us getting Anthony Johnson to commit was more impressive

Let's not get too jaded on the Johnson commit. It's a real good one, but if Greg gets us two 5* commits in one class, then we can talk. That may hold true if we can get even one cant miss, stud 5*.

I like watching Cosmos. The concepts they discuss on that show with regard to advanced alien civilizations is mind-blowing. The technologies needed to cross the vastness, populating regions of planets...colonizing Mars is the first step in that direction for us humans. Plus if the human race is to survive we gotta figure out a way out of this place in the next few billion years or were all going to fry.

Dr. Robert Zubrin says it better and more passionately than I could

Good one! According to some conspiracy theories, we can thank an elaborate setup in the desert for that too.

On Mars where it is -80 degrees? I like the concept but it will never happen. Not a drop of water there either. Imagine how long the public water and sewer lines from Earth would have to be.

Let's not get too jaded on the Johnson commit. It's a real good one, but if Greg gets us two 5* commits in one class, then we can talk. That may hold true if we can get even one cant miss, stud 5*.
This is the rough equivalent of those in the 1400s that thought the expeditions to find the americas were a waste of good money that could have been spent at home.

This is the rough equivalent of those in the 1400s that thought the expeditions to find the americas were a waste of good money that could have been spent at home.
There were probably a lot of native Americans back then who wished the expedition money had been spent at home in Europe....maybe on disease studies and prevention.

"Rough equivalent". Lol, maybe in your mind. To those of us in reality it's not even close.

Reactions: newell138
"Rough equivalent". Lol, maybe in your mind. To those of us in reality it's not even close.
Why is not?

I say it is a rough equivalent, because to those folks in the 1400s, the far side of the world was almost another world(Here there be dragons!). The risks that those early explorers undertook might even be higher than our current astronauts(death rate was likely higher back then).

ADVERTISEMENT