ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NASA Perseverance Rover Landing

151299623_10224289186073510_2541627735834576288_n.jpg

Why is not?

I say it is a rough equivalent, because to those folks in the 1400s, the far side of the world was almost another world(Here there be dragons!). The risks that those early explorers undertook might even be higher than our current astronauts(death rate was likely higher back then).
I think it's fairly obvious why settling Mars is an entirely different level of risk compared to settling the Americas.

Reactions: BLewis1968
I think it's fairly obvious why settling Mars is an entirely different level of risk compared to settling the Americas.
Tell that to the literally hundreds(if not thousands) of people that died in the attempt to settle the americas.

I get there are differences, but that is why I used the term "rough equivalence".

I'm trying to figure what you mean by "settle the Americas".
There's no indigenous population on Mars. That can be settled.
The Americas were stolen.

I'm trying to figure what you mean by "settle the Americas".
There's no indigenous population on Mars. That can be settled.
The Americas were stolen.
Initial settlements were usually on land purchased from local indians or unoccupied.

Good one! According to some conspiracy theories, we can thank an elaborate setup in the desert for that too.

On Mars where it is -80 degrees? I like the concept but it will never happen. Not a drop of water there either. Imagine how long the public water and sewer lines from Earth would have to be.

Let's not get too jaded on the Johnson commit. It's a real good one, but if Greg gets us two 5* commits in one class, then we can talk. That may hold true if we can get even one cant miss, stud 5*.
Well with all the ice melting here we'll have plenty of water to spare.

Watch this to get an idea of why exploration continues. https://g.co/kgs/B2wKNv

I find space exploration very interesting but I am more interested in exploration of the deepest portion of the oceans.

I'd like to see those deeds.
Besides, the checks from Cortez and Pizarro bounced.
What ethnicity are you? I can almost guarantee your ancestors stole someone's land. Plus, not talking about lands settled by the Spanish, that story is altogether different.

What ethnicity are you? I can almost guarantee your ancestors stole someone's land. Plus, not talking about lands settled by the Spanish, that story is altogether different.
My ancestors came to this country early in the 20th century. I don't think any of them stole any native Americans' land.
Also, what do you mean by "not talking about lands settled by the Spanish " ? You said "the Americas".
What, Mexico, Florida, Peru, California, Texas, etc. don't count as part of the Americas ?

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Wait for it. Bernie Sanders coming soon on Mars.

Not trying to throw water on the fire but I have a question for those who are into NASA and the like. Space exploration is cool and wild stuff. Is there a goal when dumping billions (?) of dollars into a Mars landing and trying to figure out if water once existed on the planet? What will we gain other than a neat exploration?
Less than 1 cent of your tax dollar goes to NASA.
As for why? It is in our nature to explore. It defines our existence as a species when our ancestors first began their journey out of Africa. It provides a reason to be hopeful and excited about the future.

I'll throw a question back to you. What kind of future would you like for humanity? One where we are forever confined to a single planet, waiting for the sun to incinerate life? Or a future where humans become a multiplanetary species and consciousness spreads throughout the galaxy?

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
Did I post this?

This is the rough equivalent of those in the 1400s that thought the expeditions to find the americas were a waste of good money that could have been spent at home.

With today's technologies, knowledge and abilities, I don't see it logically as a rough equivalent. It takes 7 months to get there. Imagine the delivery charge for a case of water.

Less than 1 cent of your tax dollar goes to NASA.
As for why? It is in our nature to explore. It defines our existence as a species when our ancestors first began their journey out of Africa. It provides a reason to be hopeful and excited about the future.

I'll throw a question back to you. What kind of future would you like for humanity? One where we are forever confined to a single planet, waiting for the sun to incinerate life? Or a future where humans become a multiplanetary species and consciousness spreads throughout the galaxy?

I'm really not worried about the one cent of my tax dollar, but billions of dollars can be better spent other than figuring out if there is one drop of water on a planet that is 7 months away and has a temperature of -80 degrees. It can be better spent IMO.

I like your question and that goes much beyond what I have ever thought about. My focus is on near term and long term for my immediate descendants. If the sun incinerates life, it will be a good long way down the road from me, my kids and my (future) grandkids. I see your point that alternative, planetary accommodations might be necessary some distant time from now. So proactive planning is in order I suppose. I dont see it on Mars though. Great question and it requires much deeper thought than usual on this board. I appreciate it.

I find space exploration very interesting but I am more interested in exploration of the deepest portion of the oceans.

I actually use this exact question when I want to break up kids into two groups. If they could explore either of the two, which would it be and why?

My ancestors came to this country early in the 20th century. I don't think any of them stole any native Americans' land.
Also, what do you mean by "not talking about lands settled by the Spanish " ? You said "the Americas".
What, Mexico, Florida, Peru, California, Texas, etc. don't count as part of the Americas ?
Thats not why I asked. Your ancestors may not have stolen native americans land but they took someone's land.

Thats not why I asked. Your ancestors may not have stolen native americans land but they took someone's land.

I know for a fact, my ancestors took our land from the ancient aliens that were using us as slaves to mine gold.

#NoRegerts!

This push to make expansion into the americas racist is just pathetic. You make it seem like all the native american tribes were united and organized when in fact they were slaughtering each other just the same. So please just stop already with your wokeness cause you just aren't.

This push to make expansion into the americas racist is just pathetic. You make it seem like all the native american tribes were united and organized when in fact they were slaughtering each other just the same. So please just stop already with your wokeness cause you just aren't.
Trail of Tears. Indian Removal Act. Seminole Wars.

Was it racist when the vikings invaded everywhere? Or the romans? Or the mongols? Or name any friggen group.
Don’t forget when we Homo sapiens killed and crowded out them poor Neanderthals out of Europe and Eurasia ~40K years ago...

Reactions: theRU
Was it racist when the vikings invaded everywhere? Or the romans? Or the mongols? Or name any friggen group.
"It will separate the Indians from immediate contact with settlements of whites; free them from the power of the States; enable them to pursue happiness in their own way and under their own rude institutions; will retard the progress of decay, which is lessening their numbers, and perhaps cause them gradually, under the protection of the Government and through the influence of good counsels, to cast off their savage habits and become an interesting, civilized, and Christian community"

- Andrew Jackson

Reactions: Kbee3
So you would say some Europeans from centuries ago would be characterized as invaders, whether in the Americas, Africa, Asia, etc? Apparently it was the way of "civilized" society to seek to colonize other occupied lands. It's not surprising that natives of a land being colonized might take umbrage. Yet if they themselves (or their ancestors) invaded/colonized to attain said land, then perhaps it might be viewed as somewhat hypocritical. Of course, that probably has been the history of parts of the world and how some civilizations prospered.

Colonization efforts were usually made easier when the natives were not united and organized as you say, as it provided an opportunity to create a further wedge between them and then exploit that division, thereby having those groups distracted in fighting each other and doing some of the dirty work, while the 3rd party hangs around until the dust settles, to their ultimate advantage.

Perhaps humans have instinctively sought to expand their territories as a means of survival and increase availability of resources for their societies.

Multiple perspectives to consider in the discussion.

That's the great thing about Europeans....they never slaughtered each other.
Seriously, if you read some of the views expressed beginning with Columbus' first visit you'll find that racism was in fact a big part of the extermination of those that were already living in the lands the Europeans were "settling".

That's the great thing about Europeans....they never slaughtered each other.
Seriously, if you read some of the views expressed beginning with Columbus' first visit you'll find that racism was in fact a big part of the extermination of those that were already living in the lands the Europeans were "settling".
They didn't? What history are you reading?

So you would say some Europeans from centuries ago would be characterized as invaders, whether in the Americas, Africa, Asia, etc? Apparently it was the way of "civilized" society to seek to colonize other occupied lands. It's not surprising that natives of a land being colonized might take umbrage. Yet if they themselves (or their ancestors) invaded/colonized to attain said land, then perhaps it might be viewed as somewhat hypocritical. Of course, that probably has been the history of parts of the world and how some civilizations prospered.

Colonization efforts were usually made easier when the natives were not united and organized as you say, as it provided an opportunity to create a further wedge between them and then exploit that division, thereby having those groups distracted in fighting each other and doing some of the dirty work, while the 3rd party hangs around until the dust settles, to their ultimate advantage.

Perhaps humans have instinctively sought to expand their territories as a means of survival and increase availability of resources for their societies.

Multiple perspectives to consider in the discussion.
My point is we were all savages throughout human history, fighting, conquering (whether by outright conflict, or subtle long term subversion). And while we'd like to think those days are over, things like ukraine happen.

ADVERTISEMENT