ADVERTISEMENT

OT: National pork roll day Thursday

So when is national Taylor Ham day?
Back in 1906 Mr. Taylor must have been laughed at when he tried to call it ham. I could see the guys on the Pure Food and Drug council , "John how in the hell can you call this ham when there's not an ounce of ham in it?" John Taylor, "Well it's kind of pale red in color similar to ham and they both come from pigs".

I believe they cancelled pork roll day in Trenton. Made it through a few years with mixed reviews. We just can't get anything right. Even an event for our state culinary wonder..

Everyday ( especially at breakfast time), for people in the know.
Most are from North Jersey and don't try to be
Politically Correct, but call it what John Taylor originally named it and not the political correct name the government decided it had to be called.
It was never called Taylor Ham.

It was never called Taylor Ham.
Taylor Peppered Ham> Taylor Ham shortened version same difference [banana]:cool2:

I was expecting a reply from you and even though of putting White Bus in 1-2-3
in my post.
But didn't want you to get offended , though I think you enjoy the TH-PR friendly banter every time Taylor (Peppered) Ham is mentioned as the right way for the breakfast delicacy to be called and porkey role is a disgusting way to call it unless you're buying the inferior products that call themselves pork roll.

ain't nothing like the real thing
images

Taylor Peppered Ham> Taylor Ham shortened version same difference [banana]:cool2:

in my post.
But didn't want you to get offended , though I think you enjoy the TH-PR friendly banter every time Taylor (Peppered) Ham is mentioned as the right way for the breakfast delicacy to be called and porkey role is a disgusting way to call it unless you're buying the inferior products that call themselves pork roll.

images

in my post.

images
I love the photo. You know it's a fake right??
Look at the left side flap. It's says vacuum packed and they didn't start selling pre-sliced until about a 100 years after it was called Taylor Pork Roll.

Are you a Flat Earther too?

And yes I love this topic. Always fun.

I love the photo. You know it's a fake right??
Look at the left side flap. It's says vacuum packed and they didn't start selling pre-sliced until about a 100 years after it was called Taylor Pork Roll.

Are you a Flat Earther too?

And yes I love this topic. Always fun.
I walked a lot of flat earth to buy my Taylor Ham ,egg and cheese on a hard roll at the luncheonette when I was younger . So the earth was flat where I walked.
As far as the picture being fake, I prefer to think John Taylor was ahead of his time and that picture was the real thing. But the government didn't OK pre-sliced and vacuum sealing his Taylor Ham product so when they refused to allow John to call his product

Taylor Ham , they also outlawed the pre-slice process and made vacuum sealing a crime.
Those laws stayed on the books for 100 years, the Ham law still stands.

I learned those things watching Peabody's Improbable History as a kid :D

Reactions: WhiteBus
Somewhere in America, there must be a guy named Taylor Ham or at least Taylor Hamm, possibly related to Mia.

OMG,there is. He is a recruiting analyst for Texas A & M. I really need to get to sleep.

I believe they cancelled pork roll day in Trenton. Made it through a few years with mixed reviews. We just can't get anything right. Even an event for our state culinary wonder..
What are you talking about? There are two pork roll festivals in Trenton held on the same day (Saturday before Memorial Day). Already got my tickets for the Mill Hill festival.

Probably mostly because there were competing groups who wanted theirs to be the official one

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
Sounds like a completely separate product that just happened to be named pork roll. The makers probably never heard of what we call pork roll / taylor ham.

I think you are right about that.

It was cool however when Dunkin' Donuts had a Pork Roll sandwich on their menu for NJ only.

Everyday ( especially at breakfast time), for people in the know.
Most are from North Jersey and don't try to be
Politically Correct, but call it what John Taylor originally named it and not the political correct name the government decided it had to be called.
Do you also request that you don't want Case or Trenton Pork Roll when you order your Taylor Ham, egg and cheese? Do you go behind the counter and inspect the packaging? Because there's a good chance you might not be getting that Taylor Ham sandwich after all these years.

I think you are right about that.

It was cool however when Dunkin' Donuts had a Pork Roll sandwich on their menu for NJ only.
It was in Eastern PA too. Wasn't bad either on the croissant either. Their donuts are gross so surprised this was good. The ad campaign was odd however. Saying it was a summer tradition. If anything it's a fall tradition. One of great tailgate staples of all time.

Do you also request that you don't want Case or Trenton Pork Roll when you order your Taylor Ham, egg and cheese? Do you go behind the counter and inspect the packaging? Because there's a good chance you might not be getting that Taylor Ham sandwich after all these years.
I bring in health inspectors to make sure I'm only served a quality breakfast sandwich when ordering my Taylor Ham breakfast sandwich. I don't have to ask not to be served the inferior products you mentioned, I demand the good stuff (Taylor Ham)
Many places have tried to fool me and were closed by the Health Department for their efforts.
Now every luncheonette that claims to serve Taylor Ham has a facial recognition camera at the entrance so that they know I'm there.
That way they don't lose their food handling license for trying to get away with serving me the poisonous pork roll products people from South Jersey settle for

When one of those facial recognition cameras spots me an alarm goes off and presto the Taylor Ham comes out or a sigh put up saying they just ran out of Taylor Ham and the only available substitute is an inferior ( name that brand) pork roll

I bring in health inspectors to make sure I'm only served a quality breakfast sandwich when ordering my Taylor Ham breakfast sandwich. I don't have to ask not to be served the inferior products you mentioned, I demand the good stuff (Taylor Ham)
Many places have tried to fool me and were closed by the Health Department for their efforts.
Now every luncheonette that claims to serve Taylor Ham has a facial recognition camera at the entrance so that they know I'm there.
That way they don't lose their food handling license for trying to get away with serving me the poisonous pork roll products people from South Jersey settle for

When one of those facial recognition cameras spots me an alarm goes off and presto the Taylor Ham comes out or a sigh put up saying they just ran out of Taylor Ham and the only available substitute is an inferior ( name that brand) pork roll
Touche' [laughing]

It was in Eastern PA too. Wasn't bad either on the croissant either. Their donuts are gross so surprised this was good. The ad campaign was odd however. Saying it was a summer tradition. If anything it's a fall tradition. One of great tailgate staples of all time.
My God, remember our AAC days? I know this is going to sound sacrilegious but I really got tired of Pork Roll back in those day and breakfast tailgates to boot.

Hey, take this touchy-feely stuff and get a room, okay?
Shouldn't you be engineering how to fix that fan?

tumblr_ohvuxm0fKJ1udh5n8o1_500.gif

Nah, it isn't hot enough up in the attic today.
cook up some "pork roll " and heat up the attatic like that .
After exhaust fan is fixed turn it on to get the "pork roll" stench out of the attic and spread that disgusting smell around the neighborhood .

Or cook up some Taylor ham turn on fan when fixed and have al;l your neighbors thank you for making the neighborhood smell like Paradise in the morning :D

https://www.app.com/story/entertain...ekend-trenton-pork-roll-festivals/3752895002/

The Official Sixth annual Pork Roll Festival will take place from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. May 25 in Mill Hill Park, 165 E Front St. Participating vendors include The Tot Cart, serving pork roll-topped tater tots; SmokeHouse BBQ, serving pork roll meatballs; NitroGirl, serving candied pork roll and cheese liquid nitrogen ice cream; and Kath's Catering, with pork roll macaroni and cheese.
Live music will be performed throughout the day. Tickets cost $5 per person; visit porkrollfestival.com.

The Trenton Pork Roll Festival will take place from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m May 25 at Trenton Social, 449 South Broad St. Participating vendors include Johnny's Pork Roll and Coffee, too of Red Bank, which will be serving creative pork roll sandwiches (owner John Yarusi, featured in the video above, also will have a truck at the other festival); Cubano X-Press, with pork roll Cuban sandwiches; Sumo Sushi & Teppanyaki, with pork roll sushi burritos and nachos; Cold Stone Creamery, with pork roll add-ins for ice cream; and DeLorenzo's The Burg, with pork roll-topped Trenton tomato pie.
Festivalgoers can take a guided bike tour of Trenton's pork roll-related sights ($18), and live music will be performed throughout the day.
Ticket prices range from $5 for general admission, which includes access to a beer garden, to $45 for VIP entry, which includes access to an outdoor seating area, a swag bag, free draft beer, and a breakfast and lunch buffet. Children 12 and younger and uniformed military and first responders will be admitted free of charge. Visit trentonporkrollfestival.com.

Well I did my part this morning. Pork Roll, egg, cheese, hamburger, sauteed mushrooms on a kaiser.

There must be non-NJ natives on this board. Do you select few understand what the heck the fascination is with this product is if you didn’t grow up on it? It tastes ok and all, but...I’ll take crispy bacon over it any day.

There must be non-NJ natives on this board. Do you select few understand what the heck the fascination is with this product is if you didn’t grow up on it? It tastes ok and all, but...I’ll take crispy bacon over it any day.
If you're talking about Taylor Ham:
DismalLeftConure-size_restricted.gif

if it's that other stuff ( whose name shall not be mentioned) :
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT