ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nationals fans troll Harper as they head to the World Series

I am not a fan of Bryce at all. I think he plays for himself and the money. Happy to see the Nats make it to the World Series for the first time. Hope Bryce stays out of the sand on the golf course.

Honestly, if I was a Nats fan, I would be happy as hell to be heading to the series and even happier to not be stuck with that contract. I wouldn't waste time trolling people.

Reactions: Section124
Karma. Ain't it great?
1kxup2.jpg

I am not a fan of Bryce at all. I think he plays for himself and the money. Happy to see the Nats make it to the World Series for the first time. Hope Bryce stays out of the sand on the golf course.

I gotta tell ya - after watching and learning about him for the last year as a Phils fan. He seems like a real good guy.

Seems small of the Nats and their fans to focus on this rather than their rare success. Says more about them than it does about Bryce.

Well, if they win the World Series, it’s actually lopsided to the Nats.

I’d tip my hat.

But at this point, it’s 50/50ish in my mind.
Definitely not 50/50. Harper's tanking history has already moved from DC to Philly. Philly was in good position for a WC spot, but as Harper teams always do, they bombed when it counted most.

You’re entitled to your opinion.

I know you dislike everything Philadelphia, so I take your view here with a grain of salt.

Phils fan here. Happy we have Bryce. If the Phils add some much needed pitching and hire the right manager, we’ll be right where the Nats are soon.

Well that and the Phils need to learn to identify and develop talent.

Definitely not 50/50. Harper's tanking history has already moved from DC to Philly. Philly was in good position for a WC spot, but as Harper teams always do, they bombed when it counted most.

He tanked with 35/114 and the best defense in his career? The Phils sure, Harper nope.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I am a life time Phils fan. As much as I was hoping they would get him, the cost was a stunner. When you pay that much money for one player, the expectations of the fans have to be truly twisted. How much can one guy do in baseball? It is not like a super player in basketball or a QB or RB in football who can almost win games by themselves.
He only gets to the batters box once every nine times or approx. three times a game. Pitchers can virtually take him out of the mix by putting him on base. Interestingly, I think his defense was more of a surprise to many.
This team needs pitching desperately. That is where they lost most of the games.
I was rooting for the Nats to get to the WS after an 86 year drought. Hope the Astros can join them.

Griffey in Cincy. A-rod in Texas. Long history of similar examples.

Ironically:

2003 - Texas went 71-91, finished 4th in AL West, A-Rod won MVP

2019 - L.A. Angels went 72-90, finished 4th in AL West, Trout favorite to win MVP?

Don't love to see a rival win, but good for the Nats. They saw a chance to get in they playoffs and get hot and they took it.

The Phillies had a ton of problems. They had only one member of their projected top 5 season opening bullpen members, Neris, make it through the year unscathed. Except for Nola, their starters were a mess and even he had a down year by his standards. They lost 1/3 of their opening day lineup (LF,CF,3B) to either injury, idiocy or just plain sucking.

Hoskins took a nosedive in the 2nd half, from this article on the Athletic:
Code:
2019             PA   BB%   K%      AVG   OBP     SLG     OPS   wRC+     HR/FB   IFFB%  
1st half        408  17.6%  23%    .267   .405    .537   .942    143       17.1%    15.4%
2nd half       297  14.8%  26.6%   .172   .307    .344   .652    71         10.5%     15.1%

. From the same article as above :
Harper’s offensive numbers weren’t too far off from his career averages (which include an MVP season). He was especially valuable in big situations. Harper’s 5.54 Win Probability Added ranked fifth among hitters, trailing only Christian Yelich, Cody Bellinger, Mike Trout and Rendon. Harper’s clutch metric, via FanGraphs, ranked him tied for sixth, and he was one of the best at doing damage with runners in scoring position: 1.140 OPS (third), 177 wRC+ (sixth), .459 on-base percentage (sixth), .357 average (seventh) and 75 RBIs (tied for seventh).

Harper stood out defensively as one of the top right fielders, tying his career high with 13 outfield assists. It was not uncommon to see him take an extra base, turning a single into a double. And he gave the Phillies one thing they’d been missing over the past few years: a superstar player and personality. It’s not a coincidence the Phillies’ local TV ratings increased by 22 percent this year.

So paraphrase the famous philosopher Jay-Z, this year the Phillies had 99 problems, but Harper wasn't one

I'm not a fan of you.. I think you work your job for yourself and the money.
(don't really have a dog in this fight but I found your criticism a bit hollow.. I get it though.. selfish players are not worth rooting for )

You’re entitled to your opinion.

I know you dislike everything Philadelphia, so I take your view here with a grain of salt.
Speaking of Philly haters, does anyone on this board want to talk about the Yankee fans throwing stuff at Astros players, or does bad behavior only happen in Philly? You know, just sayin.........

It turned out that the Nats needed another starter more than a fine hitter,even an excellent one like Harper. They essentially traded Harper for Corbyn, and it worked out big time. But that wasn't because there was anything wrong with Harper. Harper, btw, has been very gentlemanly toward the Nats; too bad their fans can't return the favor.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Yanks will beat the Nats
Do they play next year? And he posted the comment down 2 games to 1? It’s one thing to be down 2-1 to the Twinkie’s but to the team the kicks your ass year after year and probably the best team in baseball. Get a grip dude.

Last edited:
If I was BH I would be happy with my season and my bank accounts.Abuse me all you want. I got the cash.

It turned out that the Nats needed another starter more than a fine hitter,even an excellent one like Harper. They essentially traded Harper for Corbyn, and it worked out big time. But that wasn't because there was anything wrong with Harper. Harper, btw, has been very gentlemanly toward the Nats; too bad their fans can't return the favor.

LOL

Nats in the WS, phillys no playoffs :WideSmile:

The Angels are living proof that having one player take all the money is not ideal in baseball. I am not surprised at all with the Nats' success this year.
You do know that the two highest paid players in baseball are on the National's right??
Bryce Harper isn't even in the top 10.

Maybe when you do a Google search you should pick a reliable source like MLB. You know the site actually run by the league. Not some crappy independent site with no ties to anything baseball.

Here's a look at the top 10, which looks solely at '19 salary, as opposed to the average annual value of their deal, because not every contract pays the same amount in every season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/highest-paid-baseball-players-in-2019.html

ADVERTISEMENT