ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA College Football Games Thread 11/8-11/12 Tues-Sat

TCU salts away the clock. Great win for them on the road as an underdog. Physical game and they rose to the challenge and their defense came through as well. They proved they can win in another fashion.
One could have concluded after a lackluster job at Cal, Sonny Dykes was a risky hire. He has proven himself at SMU and so far in his first year at TCU. He deserves a feting.

One could have concluded after a lackluster job at Cal, Sonny Dykes was a risky hire. He has proven himself at SMU and so far in his first year at TCU. He deserves a feting.
I was impressed with their defense tonight. Robinson and their other RB are big loads to handle. Also their offense was being stifled by a physical Texas defense early on but they kept on fighting and eventually broke through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Auburn beat A&M 13-10, that guarantees A&M will be below .500 for the season. Fisher's big contract, all those stars and NIL money sure paying off.

He better modernize on offense in the offseason or I don't expect a lot to change.

Redshirt Freshman Drake Maye

Last edited:
Auburn beat A&M 13-10, that guarantees A&M will be below .500 for the season. Fisher's big contract, all those stars and NIL money sure paying off.

He better modernize on offense in the offseason or I don't expect a lot to change.

Redshirt Freshman Drake Maye

So happy to see A&M losing and Bama not in the playoff. Great stat on Duke vs. the other 3 teams vs. last year. And, of course, happy to see Cuse coming back to reality.

Credit to @koleszar who called it some time ago. This is what the PAC12 does lol. USC is the only one with a remote chance at the playoffs now. ND and UCLA up next, possibly 2 ranked wins and they have the 1 ranked loss vs Utah.

Never seen official school twitters go after each other as much as I have this year lol.

Good job Jonathan Smith at Oregon State. Picked up win #7 and has a good shot at 8 with ASU and Oregon left on the schedule.

Completely agree on the analytics thing. Coaches shouldn't be a slave to it. It cost Lanning. 3 points early in the game would have helped Ole Miss against Alabama. That last drive could have been for a game tying FG instead of needing a TD to win and they were in FG range. Same for Arkansas against LSU. No need to be allergic to chip shot FGs, especially if it's longer than 4th and 1 and against a solid defense.

Game flow and getting points on the board to crack the goose egg is important. Dykes probably leans in on being more aggressive but he made a good call kicking the FG early the way that Texas game was going in the first half. It gave them a 7 point cushion late too vs just 4 points up.

I saw a tweet that currently Vandy has a better record than A&M lol. I took a look and they do for now, both overall and in conference. Vandy is 4-6/1-5 and A&M is 3-7/1-6

My goodness I didn't realize how many yards Tenn put up in their 66-24 win on Mizzou. Mizzou had the 13 or 14th ranked defense in the country going into that game. I just took a look and they've dropped to the mid 30s lol.

😂 Harold Perkins may not know who MJ is but he sure imitated a performance worthy of him yesterday.

From the article:

Perkins's performance was even more impressive considering he got sick just before the game.

LSU head coach Brian Kelly revealed that after the game, saying, "He threw up as we were going into our team meeting."

The 61-year-old coach then attempted to relate to his 18-year-old star player and, instead, got a brutal reminder of the 43-year age gap between the two.

"I said, 'Hey, you know, MJ threw up when he had his greatest game,'" Kelly said.

"[Perkins] said, 'Who's MJ?'"

Perkins was born in 2004, a year after Michael Jordan finished his career with the Washington Wizards. That would make Perkins approximately negative-7 years old when Jordan played his infamous flu game, scoring 38 points to lead the Chicago Bulls to victory in Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals.

Credit to @koleszar who called it some time ago. This is what the PAC12 does lol. USC is the only one with a remote chance at the playoffs now. ND and UCLA up next, possibly 2 ranked wins and they have the 1 ranked loss vs Utah.

The Nostradamus of Rutgers football strikes again.😂 In reality, not so much a good call by me rather simply remembering my college football history lessons. By recalling season gone past, I had a great chance of nailing this one.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
IMO Howard has looked better than AM. They had TCU on the ropes until he also went out in that game. Possible rematch on the horizon in the B12 champ game.

Cal and RU are similar in so many ways. Wilcox has had a long leash, but Cal does not have the appetite for another firing. I know one Cal fan who is missing Sonny Dykes, who was let go when they found him looking around. But Sonny wanted to be home in Texas--it's working out "just OK" for Sonny at TCU this year. An instance where a coaching going back "home" pays dividends. Not an always proposition, but usually a good bet it will work out to some degree.

Cal and RU are similar in so many ways. Wilcox has had a long leash, but Cal does not have the appetite for another firing. I know one Cal fan who is missing Sonny Dykes, who was let go when they found him looking around. But Sonny wanted to be home in Texas--it's working out "just OK" for Sonny at TCU this year. An instance where a coaching going back "home" pays dividends. Not an always proposition, but usually a good bet it will work out to some degree.
I think Wilcox is in a crucial year next year too. It's the same notion I brought up about GS. Next year will be year 7 for Wilcox but right now he's got 3 straight regular seasons under .500. Next year could be a 4th under .500 and if it is, he'd likely be fired IMO. I actually didn't see anyone who had a longer tenure who was allowed to have 4 straight below .500 regular season years and saw the next year. It was just Cutcliffe, Wilson, Frost but they were all in the initial years. I didn't find any coach who is farther in like Wilcox (7 years next year) survive 4 straight below .500 years that was deeper in their tenure.

I think Wilcox is in a crucial year next year too. It's the same notion I brought up about GS. Next year will be year 7 for Wilcox but right now he's got 3 straight regular seasons under .500. Next year could be a 4th under .500 and if it is, he'd likely be fired IMO. I actually didn't see anyone who had a longer tenure who was allowed to have 4 straight below .500 regular season years and saw the next year. It was just Cutcliffe, Wilson, Frost but they were all in the initial years. I didn't find any coach who is farther in like Wilcox (7 years next year) survive 4 straight below .500 years that was deeper in their tenure.
Here's the thing, however. Cal has been extremely competitive in their losses (yeah, yeah, so what):

2020 (Covid year)- 1-3: lost to OSU by 4 points and to Stanford by 1 point.
2021- 5-7: lost by 2 points to TCU, lost in OT to UW; Lost to #9 Oregon and to Arizona by 1 TD.
2022- 3-7: lost to Notre Dame, UW by 1 TD; lost to Colorado in OT; Lost to USC by 6 pts

Coulda, shoulda woulda? They seem close to turning a corner. They are near the bottom of PAC 12 in offense and near the middle in defense. In 2021 they were second in defense but near the bottom in offense.

Like I said above, Cal is loathe to spend money on buyouts and coaches.

Here's the thing, however. Cal has been extremely competitive in their losses (yeah, yeah, so what):

2020 (Covid year)- 1-3: lost to OSU by 4 points and to Stanford by 1 point.
2021- 5-7: lost by 2 points to TCU, lost in OT to UW; Lost to #9 Oregon and to Arizona by 1 TD.
2022- 3-7: lost to Notre Dame, UW by 1 TD; lost to Colorado in OT; Lost to USC by 6 pts

Coulda, shoulda woulda? They seem close to turning a corner. They are near the bottom of PAC 12 in offense and near the middle in defense. In 2021 they were second in defense but near the bottom in offense.

Like I said above, Cal is loathe to spend money on buyouts and coaches.
Didn't know his contract amount so I guess he might get some leeway beyond next year. Looked it up and Cal would owe him 17M after next year, similar to what Brown is owed after this year. WVU isn't in the best circumstances financially either but Gee might make the move anyway. I think WVU fans are upset at Lyons giving brown an extension after just a bowl win. I say this often, don't lock yourself in longer term off short term results. If you're so desperate to pay them just give a large one time bonus for that year but nothing that locks you in long term without accompanying consistent results.

The extension for Wilcox is very recent. I'm surprised by that considering his last 2 seasons were below .500. Now it'll be a 3rd straight year below .500. The only motivation on the school's part that I can tell is that Oregon was possibly sniffing around before they hired Lanning. I say it all the time, let them go if they want but don't chain yourself longer term. Do your job as AD and find another suitable candidate. Cal just has to hope that he turns it around now with a better OC choice or spend mid double digits after next year.

Only thing I use Twitter for is CFB news.
I follow a lot of MDs, RDs and exercise folks for fitness, cholesterol management, diet, etc. My Twitter feed is quite clean, with very little politics, drama or nonsense. Get great links to great technical papers and other info. The other part for me is Mets and Rutgers athletics and some other college football accounts.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I follow a lot of MDs, RDs and exercise folks for fitness, cholesterol management, diet, etc. My Twitter feed is quite clean, with very little politics, drama or nonsense. Get great links to great technical papers and other info. The other part for me is Mets and Rutgers athletics and some other college football accounts.
Well that figures, as soon as we start mentioning how we use Twitter and it's useful for us tweets aren't showing up anymore. Some error messages are showing up when you copy/paste a tweet into a post.

This message is showing up in all the old tweets I copy/pasted and for new ones I try to post.

Template public:_media_site_embed_twitter not found. Try rebuilding or reinstalling the s9e/MediaSites add-on.

Any reason for that @Richard Schnyderite? Thanks.

Well that figures, as soon as we start mentioning how we use Twitter and it's useful for us tweets aren't showing up anymore. Some error messages are showing up when you copy/paste a tweet into a post.

This message is showing up in all the old tweets I copy/pasted and for new ones I try to post.

Template public:_media_site_embed_twitter not found. Try rebuilding or reinstalling the s9e/MediaSites add-on.

Any reason for that @Richard Schnyderite? Thanks.
Small glitch being worked on now.

Small glitch being worked on now.
mess-up-mundane-detail.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT